Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Brendan Santo died of accidental drowning, report shows

3/14/22

[..]

The Ingham County Medical Examiner’s Office report, released on March 14, also indicated a high alcohol content in Santo’s blood and urine.

Santo, a Grand Valley State University freshman, had a 0.22% “blood ethanol concentration” and a 0.301% “urine ethanol concentration,” the toxicology report shows. Ethanol is commonly found in alcohol beverages and is commonly associated with intoxication.

Acute ethanol intoxication was listed as a contributory factor to Santo’s death, the report shows.

[..]

Investigators do not suspect foul play nor self-harm as reasons for Santo’s disappearance, MSU police said. The medical examiner indicated in the report that the cause and manner of Santo’s death was consistent with the circumstances of him leaving a social function while intoxicated.

There was no evidence of other injuries, the report shows.

Brendan was a Grand Valley State University freshman. Sadly, from GVSU website,
the stats correctly report the following:

• 53.6% of full-time college students ages 18-22 admit to drinking in the past month- significantly higher than the rate for non-students of the same age group.
  • The first 6 weeks of freshman year are very dangerous in terms of substance use because of new social and peer pressures. Learning and understanding about safe and responsible ways to drink is critical very early on to prevent harm.

What is Alcohol? - AOD - Alcohol & Other Drugs Services - Grand Valley State University

Brendan Santo autopsy reveals cause of death as accidental drowning

March 14, 2022

[..]

On Jan. 21, Santo was found in the Red Cedar River after being missing for over 80 days. Santo had last been seen leaving Yakeley Hall on Oct. 29, 2021.

The autopsy revealed advanced decomposition changes. No antemortem injuries or natural diseases were identified.

There was no evidence of any recent injuries.

In addition, aquatic plant material was growing on all of Santo’s body regions, and rigor mortis had already passed.

However, the report said, advanced decomposition changes obscured the study of all organs sampled.

In his comment and opinion, Patrick Hansma, DO, Deputy Medical Examiner and Forensic Pathologist, said Santo was last seen alive, intoxicated and leaving a social function. His cause and manner of death are in consideration of the known circumstances surrounding his death and the autopsy findings.

I was a college student 1968-1972+. I wasn't into the drinking or party scene - just not my thing. I always had a part time job while in school and worked most weekends. Back then, drinking at 18 was legal in Ohio, so there were plenty of college students who made weekend trips to Toledo to indulge legally. I'm sure there was a lot of drinking - legal and not - on campus, but it just wasn't my thing. College sweetheart (now DH) delivered pizzas on weekends, so he wasn't into the drinking/party scene, either.

I think we all know why we never heard from any of Brendan's friends following his disappearance. Their parents and/or lawyers advised them not to talk. If they were interviewed by LE, I'm sure attorneys were present. Brendan was only 18 and could not purchase alcohol legally. Did he have fake ID, or did one of his friends buy the booze? Was whoever bought the alcohol 21, or did one of Brendan's underage friends have fake ID? Where was the alcohol purchased? Was appropriate ID presented during the transaction? Had Brendan and his friends been to a bar where they were served alcohol? Now that autopsy and toxicology reports have been released, I wonder if Brendan's parents will want further accounting of the events that led to their son's demise? As a parent, I'd want to know who was responsible for purchasing/serving the alcohol that contributed to his untimely passing. JMO

Last edited:
I was a college student 1968-1972+. I wasn't into the drinking or party scene - just not my thing. I always had a part time job while in school and worked most weekends. Back then, drinking at 18 was legal in Ohio, so there were plenty of college students who made weekend trips to Toledo to indulge legally. I'm sure there was a lot of drinking - legal and not - on campus, but it just wasn't my thing. College sweetheart (now DH) delivered pizzas on weekends, so he wasn't into the drinking/party scene, either.

I think we all know why we never heard from any of Brendan's friends following his disappearance. Their parents and/or lawyers advised them not to talk. If they were interviewed by LE, I'm sure attorneys were present. Brendan was only 18 and could not purchase alcohol legally. Did he have fake ID, or did one of his friends buy the booze? Was whoever bought the alcohol 21, or did one of Brendan's underage friends have fake ID? Where was the alcohol purchased? Was appropriate ID presented during the transaction? Had Brendan and his friends been to a bar where they were served alcohol? Now that autopsy and toxicology reports have been released, I wonder if Brendan's parents will want further accounting of the events that led to their son's demise? As a parent, I'd want to know who was responsible for purchasing/serving the alcohol that contributed to his untimely passing. JMO

BetteDavisEyes
Alright,so they now have the autopsy
reports.Just horrible,the whole matter.
Yet for all of that,there is no possible
explanation given for how he came to
end up in the water.No likely scenario
as to how it may have happened.
It appears that they have closed the
case on any foul play.
Rest in Peace Brendan

BetteDavisEyes
case on any foul play.
Rest in Peace Brendan
Had the surveillance cameras been working properly, I think investigators would have uncovered the exact moment and location that BS breached the railing and/or shoreline and fell into the river. It seems to me that the ME provided the most likely scenario:

In his comment and opinion, Patrick Hansma, DO, Deputy Medical Examiner and Forensic Pathologist, said Santo was last seen alive, intoxicated and leaving a social function. His cause and manner of death are in consideration of the known circumstances surrounding his death and the autopsy findings.
^^rsbm

Welcome to Websleuths,
LowPlainsGrifter !!

Had the surveillance cameras been working properly, I think investigators would have uncovered the exact moment and location that BS breached the railing and/or shoreline and fell into the river. It seems to me that the ME provided the most likely scenario:

^^rsbm
But the police never made a final statement on the why the case is closed as far as the police investigation (as far as I can find). Isn't it usually the case that the police use the findings of the ME to corroborate findings from police investigators? In this case, police never said, "this is why/how we think Brendan ended up in the river" (at least I can't find a statement like this). It seems like police just left it up to our imaginations.

BetteDavisEyes
case on any foul play.
Rest in Peace Brendan
Agreed and it seems that students interviewed in news reports seem to think it's unsettling. No final word from PD on when/where/why/how along with months of looking in the wrong place for Brendan makes me think...well, I'm not sure what to think.
RIP, Brendan

Agreed and it seems that students interviewed in news reports seem to think it's unsettling. No final word from PD on when/where/why/how along with months of looking in the wrong place for Brendan makes me think...well, I'm not sure what to think.
RIP, Brendan

To be clear, foul play was never suspected.

This was never a criminal investigation and police do not typically continue to comment after the ME confirms this was a tragic accidental drowning by a college student that was very intoxicated when he fell into the river.

Investigators do not suspect foul play nor self-harm as reasons for Santo’s disappearance, MSU police said. The medical examiner indicated in the report that the cause and manner of Santo’s death was consistent with the circumstances of him leaving a social function while intoxicated.

Brendan Santo died of accidental drowning, report shows

3/14/22

[..]

The Ingham County Medical Examiner’s Office report, released on March 14, also indicated a high alcohol content in Santo’s blood and urine.

Santo, a Grand Valley State University freshman, had a 0.22% “blood ethanol concentration” and a 0.301% “urine ethanol concentration,” the toxicology report shows. Ethanol is commonly found in alcohol beverages and is commonly associated with intoxication.

Acute ethanol intoxication was listed as a contributory factor to Santo’s death, the report shows.

[..]

There was no evidence of other injuries, the report shows.

To be clear, foul play was never suspected.

This was never a criminal investigation and police do not typically continue to comment after the ME confirms this was a tragic accidental drowning by a college student that was very intoxicated when he fell into the river.

the cause and manner of Santo’s death was consistent with the circumstances of him leaving a social function while intoxicated It still isn't an explanation for how Brendan went into the river and apparently this is still a concern of students and parents. Students saw authorities looking for Brendan for 3 months yet a PI found him in 2 wks by observing floating pumpkins. I can see why a student might still be worried.

the cause and manner of Santo’s death was consistent with the circumstances of him leaving a social function while intoxicated It still isn't an explanation for how Brendan went into the river and apparently this is still a concern of students and parents. Students saw authorities looking for Brendan for 3 months yet a PI found him in 2 wks by observing floating pumpkins. I can see why a student might still be worried.

What you're describing happens so often that we actually have a thread on WS dedicated to missing persons where their remains are later recovered in areas previously searched before.

If students/parents remain concerned -- that can only be a good thing where dialogue is open to discuss the dangers of excess alcohol consumption and the use of a buddy system especially when impaired. We know that BS contacted a friend to say he was lost and that his last live sighting was that he was impaired.

We also know the university added a chain link fence along the river in the area mentioned in the petition. The school says it’s only a temporary fixture as they look for a permanent solution.

BS death has led to numerous safety changes at Michigan State beyond just the fencing, and many of those are already in place. The school added 300 new security cameras, and every dorm now has cameras up and running.

In December, the school launched a new SafeMSU App for smartphones, and police are hoping to spread the word.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/family-of...ts-call-for-safety-improvements-on-msu-campus

https://www.wxyz.com/news/msu-police-hoping-more-students-download-safemsu-app

WDIV's Karen Drew will be doing a special report about why cameras were not working on MSU campus the night that Brendan Santo went missing. I did not catch the day or time but will post more information when it's available.

ETA: Report will be on Thursday during 5:00PM newscast.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, BDE.

The video at link begins with a gorgeous photo of Brendan in his HS graduation camp and gown-- a reminder of both his youth and promises for his future.

While I did not find anything new here, I am curious about both the date the China based (mfg) chips used in the campus cameras were recalled and/or prohibited by the federal government, and the actual date the cameras went offline pursuant to this order.

Typically, similar federal government bans come with a reasonable lead time before the effective date.

I can see a situation where all coincided with the global pandemic and shut down of campuses across the country.

Nonetheless, once the decision was made for the University to resume normal campus life or fall quarter of 2021, it's most unfortunate that for general safety purposes, the replacement camera chips were not given more attention.

Based on the previous reporting, for whatever reason Brendan stepped off the perimeter of the walkway between the embankment and the river, I agree that even working cameras probably would not have prevented Brendan from falling into the river and drowning whereas not walking alone while under the influence may have prevented his drowning.

The video at link begins with a gorgeous photo of Brendan in his HS graduation camp and gown-- a reminder of both his youth and promises for his future.

While I did not find anything new here, I am curious about both the date the China based (mfg) chips used in the campus cameras were recalled and/or prohibited by the federal government, and the actual date the cameras went offline pursuant to this order.

Typically, similar federal government bans come with a reasonable lead time before the effective date.

I can see a situation where all coincided with the global pandemic and shut down of campuses across the country.

Nonetheless, once the decision was made for the University to resume normal campus life or fall quarter of 2021, it's most unfortunate that for general safety purposes, the replacement camera chips were not given more attention.

Based on the previous reporting, for whatever reason Brendan stepped off the perimeter of the walkway between the embankment and the river, I agree that even working cameras probably would not have prevented Brendan from falling into the river and drowning whereas not walking alone while under the influence may have prevented his drowning.
It's good that Karen Drew asked Rozman some questions like why wasn't it shared that a second student ended up in the Red Cedar River (and had to be pulled out by his friends) on the same date, 10/29.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yurchenko