Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The PI's actions may be heroic.

But they were also somewhat reckless ... and law enforcement officers should not be expected to put their lives on the line for recovery of a dead body IMHO.

Praise for the PI may be appropriate, but I don't think criticism of LE is appropriate.

But they were also somewhat reckless ... and law enforcement officers should not be expected to put their lives on the line for recovery of a dead body IMHO.

Praise for the PI may be appropriate, but I don't think criticism of LE is appropriate.
^^bbm

I completely agree.

Robinson is a brave man that privately risked his own life here. Robinson worked for 2 weeks before he made clearance for his underwater camera to capture BR's image, and LE divers went in the water when they could actually see BR's body. The Santos family has expressed their gratitude to all the rescuers involved in getting BS out of the icy water.

Private groups with sonar are right now recovering wrecked cars with victims inside that have been missing for decades. The keyword being recovery and not adding LE rescue teams to the tragic death toll...

A number of LE departments have highly trained marine rescue units but not many train their patrol officers. The insured risk paid by taxpayers prevents many from acting when conditions are not safe and/or ideal for a recovery mission.

Officer Drowned: Water Safety Tips and Training for Law Enforcement

I guess we'll never find out the cause of death. It's odd that the media has completely stopped covering this story since it still seems to be of interest to a lot of people. This story reminds me of the missing Japanese tourist case. After she was missing for only a week, the authorities claimed that she planned to go into the wilderness alone and become a missing person but never revealed how they came to this conclusion.
In contrast, the Petito/Laundrie story is still being covered regularly.
Valerie D
Hello,
I am glad that I checked back to here
to see if there was anything new
pertaining to Brendan Santo.
It was a nice story about the Investigator
and I hope that his wife coaxes him again
to pursue this more,and that he has the
penchant within him to probe into this
more.I have already expressed my views
pretty much,in previous postings here.
But I would just like to add that,just
remember that at the time of Brendan
Santos disappearing,it was still nearly
2 months before officially being winter,
so the river was no where near as cold
then.Wasn't Brendan lightly dressed?
Anyway,everyone will have to wait
until the autopsy and such.I hope this
PI will stay on and have a look at the
reports when they are released,and
notice if anything is off and his
investigative intuition kicks in.
I have a hard time believing that there
was no foul play.
Regards,
LowPlainsGrifter

"...law enforcement officers should not be expected to put their lives on the line for recovery of a dead body IMHO."

I agree yet that's exactly what they did for some reason. Channel 4 news anchor Karen Drew (in above video) was reporting about the different approach Robison took compared to LE. She said that Robison viewed his search as a rescue while LE treated it as a recovery and wouldn't put divers lives at risk for that type of mission. So I don't understand why they changed their minds and put divers in icy water with the possibility of becoming entangled underneath the log jam...if it was considered a recovery mission.

"...law enforcement officers should not be expected to put their lives on the line for recovery of a dead body IMHO."

I agree yet that's exactly what they did for some reason. Channel 4 news anchor Karen Drew (in above video) was reporting about the different approach Robison took compared to LE. She said that Robison viewed his search as a rescue while LE treated it as a recovery and wouldn't put divers lives at risk for that type of mission. So I don't understand why they changed their minds and put divers in icy water with the possibility of becoming entangled underneath the log jam...if it was considered a recovery mission.

To be clear, LE divers now had a specific target and were not entering the icy water on speculation or an exploration.

They had credible evidence (BS shoes still on his feet) and a clearance made possible by two weeks of picking and drilling by the PI whose efforts made the recovery by LE possible. I'm sure LE built their plan from the preliminary info provided by the PI -- completed their own calcs and measures to complete the mission.

This was nowhere comparable to the conditions previously inspected!!

Last edited:
Hear from the private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body in the Red Cedar River

2/8/22

EAST LANSING, Mich.Brendan Santo, 18, was visiting friends at Michigan State University over Halloween weekend last year when he went missing.

For two and a half months, police searched for the missing Grand Valley State University student on MSU’s campus and in the Red Cedar River. They came up empty-handed.

Watch: Extended interview with private investigator who found Brendan Santo’s body

[..]

“I really was, you know, apprehensive to take something like that on,” Robison said.

He said it was a five-hour-long talk with Santo’s dad that bonded them as fathers. The 48-year-old private investigator started his search on Jan. 6, about 100 yards downstream from the Lippert Street Trailhead. He started there because of Santo’s father.

“I just felt it was, like, a dad’s instinct,” Robison said. “He would always gravitate back here.”

For 14 bitter cold days in January, Robison spent much of his time at the river. Local 4 followed him there just last week to see how he solved the case.

[..]

Then he noticed something strange. A pumpkin.

“The one day I took out about six or eight pumpkins,” Robison said. “I looked at how long they’d been in the water. It really helped me kind of establish a timeline of anything that went in the water during that time period where it was going to end up.”

If pumpkins were collecting there after going in the water around Halloween, could Brendan Santo’s body also be there? Robison started chopping away for hours and hours, day after day -- recording himself along the way.

“And that’s when once I got one of the heavier chisels through I realized not only is it not solid, it was like eight feet deep in the middle,” Robison said.

He said that’s when he realized Brendan Santo’s body could have possibly gotten pushed under the twisted, tangled mess. Robison started drilling holes and putting cameras in the water. He was only able to see about 16 inches in front of him and the search was tedious and slow.

“I felt like when I was able to put lights clear on the bottom. -- I could see it was coming up to me versus me trying to look down,” Robison said.

Sometimes Robison took still pictures under the water and he would take them home and look. On Jan. 20 he saw an image that stopped him in his tracks.

“It was like 11 p.m. that night and I’m sitting downstairs and I’m looking through the frames,” Robison said. “I knew what Brendan was wearing that night and probably the most identifiable aspect of that would have been this, the type of shoes he wore. So I was able to see, in that one frame, the shoes that he had on.”

He knew he had to go see Santo’s father. He didn’t wait until the morning.

[..]

At one point in Robison’s investigation, he used a broom to hold his camera in place because the current was so strong. He even had to lug pounds of rock salt to keep the holes open in the ice as they would freeze overnight.

So, how was he able to find Santo’s body while all the other authorities were not? Robison said authorities were treating it as a recovery, so they would not put divers into the spot where he was searching as it was deadly. Robison treated it like a rescue, so he did things that most would never have tried and that’s because of the promise he made to Santo’s dad.

[..]

There are still questions in the case and the autopsy results have not yet been made public. Toxicology results could take weeks and authorities don’t suspect foul play -- the investigation is still active.

Wow! What an absolutely extraordinary human being he is. The dedication, risks and hardship he endured to find Brandon! What a hero!

To be clear, LE divers now had a specific target and were not entering the icy water on speculation or an exploration.

They had credible evidence (BS shoes still on his feet) and a clearance made possible by two weeks of picking and drilling by the PI whose efforts made the recovery by LE possible. I'm sure LE built their plan from the preliminary info provided by the PI -- completed their own calcs and measures to complete the mission.

This was nowhere comparable to the conditions previously inspected!!
It would be beneficial to know official LE procedure in this type of circumstance. Otherwise, we're all just speculating once again. Does someone have access to this kind of information?

MSU: Yakeley Hall camera had banned chip the night Santo went missing (wilx.com)

Brendan Santo supposedly walked by it the night he disappeared in October 2021.

EAST LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - News 10 has learned more about why a security camera at Yakeley Hall on Michigan State University’s campus was not working when Brendan Santo supposedly walked by it the night he disappeared.

An MSU spokesperson tells News 10 the camera had been taken offline “weeks” before Santo left the building because it used a Chinese computer chip that was banned by a 2020 federal law...

Report: Brendan Santo’s drowning death ruled accidental (clickondetroit.com)

Autopsy report says alcohol was contributing factor in death

...Medical examiners have determined that Santo drowned on accident while he was intoxicated, according to WILX. The report also stated that Santo had no diseases or injuries.

WOODTV reported that Santo tested positive for ethanol with a blood level of .22. In Michigan, the legal bodily alcohol content limit for someone under the age of 21 is .02. It is a crime for a driver to have a bodily alcohol content of .08 or greater if over the age of 21. Santo also tested positive for caffeine...

Accidental drowning cause of Brendan Santo's death, medical examiner says (detroitnews.com)

A medical examiner concluded 18-year-old Brendan Santo died in an accidental drowning, nearly five months after the Rochester Hills native went missing on the campus of Michigan State University.

The Ingham County Medical Examiner's office listed acute ethanol intoxication as a contributing factor since Santo's blood alcohol content was at about 0.22, according to a Feb. 9 autopsy report...

Accidental drowning cause of Brendan Santo's death, medical examiner says

3/14/22

The Ingham County Medical Examiner's office listed acute ethanol intoxication as a contributing factor since Santo's blood alcohol content was at about 0.22, according to a Feb. 9 autopsy report.

[..]

"This remains an open investigation while law enforcement continues to examine the items recovered at the scene, which is routine in an investigation such as this," said Dana Whyte, a spokeswoman for the agency.

"When the investigation is complete, the autopsy results will be included in the report that is submitted to the Ingham County Prosecutor for review."

[..]

BAC at .22 is nearly 3 x over the legal limit for a 21-year old.

For the average male of 165 pounds, consuming five drinks in two and half hours will give them a .10 blood-alcohol level, and .23 blood-alcohol level would indicate something in the neighborhood of 10 drinks in a two-and-a-half-hour time period.

The Impact of Blood Alcohol Levels

As an individual’s blood alcohol level increases, so do their impairments. To know when your blood alcohol concentration may be too high, it helps to understand how levels of alcohol in blood can affect you.

• 0.01 – 0.03% – This is the lowest measurable blood alcohol level. At this mild level of intoxication, you may feel slightly warmer and more relaxed.
  • 0.04 – 0.06% – Your behavior will become exaggerated (speaking louder, gesturing more), you may begin to lose control of small muscles (resulting in things like blurrier vision), and your judgment will be impaired.
  • 0.07 – 0.09% – Mild impairment of speech, vision, coordination and reaction times make it dangerous for you to drive. In the United States (aside from Utah), it is illegal to drive at or above .08% BAC; you will test as legally impaired at this blood alcohol level if you’re 21 or older.
  • 0.10 – 0.12% – Obvious physical impairment and loss of judgment. Speech may be slurred.
  • 0.13 – 0.15% – At this point, your blood alcohol level is quite high. You’ll be affected by blurred vision, loss of coordination and balance, and potentially dysphoria (anxiety or restlessness).
  • 0.16 – 0.19% – The term “sloppy drunk” applies. Dysphoria will become stronger, and nausea may occur. Walking becomes difficult, and you may fall and hurt yourself.
  • 0.20 – 0.29% – You’ll feel dazed, confused, and disoriented. Balance and muscle control have deteriorated, and you may need help walking. You may not notice if you injure yourself, as feelings of pain are numbed. Nausea and vomiting are likely, and an impaired gag reflex could cause you to choke on your own vomit. Blackouts occur at this blood alcohol level.
  • 0.30 – 0.39% – This is a dangerously high blood alcohol concentration. Your potential for death increases, as does your heart rate and the likelihood of unconsciousness. You may experience irregular breathing and loss of bladder control.
  • .40% and over – Your heart or breathing may stop. A coma or death by respiratory failure is likely.
All About Blood Alcohol Levels - Pinelands Recovery Center of Medford.

Brendan's toxicity level was .22. He was only 18 and could not legally purchase alcohol. Who bought the alcohol that led to Brendan's demise?
  • 0.20 – 0.29% – You’ll feel dazed, confused, and disoriented. Balance and muscle control have deteriorated, and you may need help walking. You may not notice if you injure yourself, as feelings of pain are numbed. Nausea and vomiting are likely, and an impaired gag reflex could cause you to choke on your own vomit. Blackouts occur at this blood alcohol level.

Report: Brendan Santo’s drowning death ruled accidental (clickondetroit.com)

Autopsy report says alcohol was contributing factor in death

...Medical examiners have determined that Santo drowned on accident while he was intoxicated, according to WILX. The report also stated that Santo had no diseases or injuries.

WOODTV reported that Santo tested positive for ethanol with a blood level of .22. In Michigan, the legal bodily alcohol content limit for someone under the age of 21 is .02. It is a crime for a driver to have a bodily alcohol content of .08 or greater if over the age of 21. Santo also tested positive for caffeine...
Wow. Beers with a side of Bang energy drink perhaps?
Was everyone in his group this intoxicated?!? :(

Michigan has a strange history with alcohol and minors:

In August of 1971, the Michigan Legislature adopted Public Act No. 79 which lowered the age of majority in Michigan to 18. As of January 1, 1972, the legal minimum drinking age in Michigan for all types of alcoholic beverages became 18 years of age.

After reported significant increases in alcohol -related traffic crashes among drivers affected by the lower drinking age. Michigan raised the drinking age from 18 to 21 in December 1978.

However, although the legal drinking age in Michigan is 21, an individual can be 18 years old and legally work as a server in a restaurant that sells alcohol or as a bartender. 18 is the legal age to handle or sell wine or spirits in a package store.

I don't think it would be difficult to locate alcohol on Halloween/game weekend on campus including that sold or served by an 18- year old employee.

LARA - Enforcement Information

Michigan law lessens a homeowner’s duty when the “minor” is over the age of 18 and the homeowner’s involvement in procuring the alcohol or participating in the consumption of alcohol is limited. As set-forth by the court in Reinhart v Dolezel, 147 Mich App 149, 156; 383 NW2d 148 (1985),

A person who is 18 years of age is deemed to be an adult of legal age for all purposes whatsoever and shall have the same duties, liabilities, responsibilities, rights and legal capacity as persons heretofore acquired at 21 years of age, notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary. These people were not minors; they were adults who were not old enough to drink alcoholic beverages legally.

Any duty the parents had to supervise their child’s conduct ended when that child became an adult. To make homeowners civilly liable for illegal activity being conducted by adults in their home, of which the homeowners have no part, would be to break new ground in Michigan jurisprudence.

The problem of teenagers who drink and drive is a serious one. But we know of no jurisdiction which imposes a duty upon homeowners to stop adults from illegally drinking in their home. As plaintiff concedes, courts have extended liability to social hosts, based either on statute or common law, only where the defendant host actively furnished or served the alcohol.

Based on the holding from Reinhart and similar cases, liability for resulting injuries is unlikely to attach to a homeowner when their college age son or daughter, without their knowledge, drinks alcohol or otherwise hosts a party where alcohol is provided to similarly aged persons. Even if present, a homeowner may be able to avoid civil liability so long as the alcohol wasn’t provided by the homeowner and the homeowner was unaware that drinking had occurred.

"Furnishing" Alcohol to College Age Minors: Liability as a Homeowner – Kreis Enderle

This may be a stupid question, but "legal limit" does that mean for driving? And why for a 21 year old?
Yes. In most states, non-commercial drivers aged 21 and older are considered legally impaired (to drive) if their BAC is .08 and above. In other words, the legal limit is less than .08 BAC.

However, I noticed the clickondetroit.com news link up-thread cites limits for under age 21 and over age 21 -- with a MI State Police link. I'm not sure why MI provides for any BAC for drivers under 21. o_O

Impaired Driving Law

It is a crime for a driver to have a bodily alcohol content (BAC) of .08 or greater if over age 21 or .02 or greater if under 21. In addition, Michigan has a high-BAC law with enhanced penalties for anyone caught driving with a BAC of .17 or higher. However, drivers can be arrested at any BAC level if they exhibit signs of impairment while operating a motor vehicle.

MSP - Impaired Driving Law.

Last edited:
Brendan's toxicity level was .22. He was only 18 and could not legally purchase alcohol. Who bought the alcohol that led to Brendan's demise?

Given the location, my own speculation would be that other college students purchased the alcohol - either students over 21 or younger students utilizing fake IDs. Both practices were extremely common when I was a college student in Michigan in the 00s. I would be surprised if this were no longer common behavior.

Binge drinking (to the .20-.29% level or sometimes beyond) was also extremely common during my college time, and as I understand it this is still a really pernicious problem on many college campuses. Especially especially so during ‘milestone’ weekends like the UM vs. MSU game. Drinking culture on many campuses is so embedded and expected that many students don’t view it as risky at all.

Unfortunately Brendan’s case is yet another tragic accident where a young man, intoxicated, falls into the water. Heartbreaking

Brendan Santo's cause of death ruled accidental drowning months after teen disappeared at MSU

3/14/22

EAST LANSING, Mich. (FOX 2) - Brendan Santo died from an accidental drowning, according to autopsy report.

The 18-year-old from Rochester Hills disappeared the weekend of Halloween 2021 after leaving a dorm at Michigan State University.

[..]

The autopsy listed acute ethanol intoxication, or drinking too much alcohol in a short amount of time, as a contributing factor. His blood alcohol level listed on the autopsy was 0.22. No other intoxicating substances were found.

Santo, who was a student at Grand Valley State University, was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall on Oct. 29, the night before the Michigan and Michigan State football game in East Lansing. He texted friends to tell them on his way to meet them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yurchenko
Back