Found Deceased MI - Brendan Santo 18, visitor, Michigan State University campus, East Lansing, 29 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe they found something of his near the water, or something washed up.
I’m impatiently waiting to know what kind of surveillance cameras, camera doorbells, etc. are nearby.
Based off the map I've seen, it looks like there wouldn't be camera doorbells, but there would likely be stoplight cameras and possibly some security cameras on university buildings.

MSU Police, dive teams searching Red Cedar River for missing GVSU student | WLNS 6 News

...“Officials from GVSU and MSU have been in continual contact beginning this weekend. President Mantella has spoken to the Santo family to express the university’s concern and care, and our housing and counseling staffs have been working with Brendan’s roommates and friends. The Grand Valley Police Department and the Michigan State Police are remaining in close touch as the search continues. This is obviously a stressful time, and our hearts are with those closest to Brendan.”...

I included a map that shows where the staging area is located in Parking Lot 67. It's at the corner of Birch and Kalamazoo by Jenison Field House. I suspect they picked the location with closest access to the area of the Red River where they want to search.

Attachments

• MSU67 (2).jpg
    MSU67 (2).jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 39
Santo, 18, was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall on Oct. 29, just before midnight, and walking on campus, according to a Monday news release from Michigan State University Police and Public Safety. Yakeley Hall is a female-only residence hall in the North Neighborhood of campus. Police believe it is possible he was planning to walk to the Brody Neighborhood, about a half-mile away. There are no signs that Santo left East Lansing, the college town where Michigan State University is located. Police say Santo’s vehicle is where he had last parked it, though that location was not provided.

Campus police say they have interviewed everyone who has contacted or spoken with Santo. Investigators have also reviewed surveillance cameras and used “advanced techniques” to review cellular, smartphone and GPS data. Michigan State Police and the Ingham County Sheriff’s Office are assisting with the search by providing access to specialized units, according to the news release. Searches for Santo have been conducted on foot and by helicopter, drone and boat. Police say the 18-year-old is 5’10” and 160 pounds. He last seen wearing gray sweatpants, a black t-shirt, a black baseball hat and white Converse high-top shoes. Anyone with additional information is asked to contact Detective Sgt. James Terrill at 517-388-6291 or TerrillJ@police.msu.edu
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article255457491.html

Yakeley Hall | Live On - Michigan State University

Missing Person Investigation – MSU Police and Public Safety

https://twitter.com/msupolice/status/1454863073521684487

Police: Helicopters, drone, boats involved in search for missing teen at MSU campus — Lansing State Journal
<snipped & BBM>
"The search area does include the river, although we're not concentrating on the river," Inspector Chris Rozman said Monday evening. "We're using resources from other state and local law enforcement agencies, including aviation, drone and marine services."

[…]

Police located Santo's vehicle where he last parked it and believe he left Yakeley Hall on foot, Rozman said. They believe he is still in the East Lansing area.

"At this point, we have no reason to believe foul play was involved," he said, adding that police were following up on all leads.

Police: Helicopters, drone, boats involved in search for missing teen at MSU campus — Lansing State Journal
<snipped & BBM>
"The search area does include the river, although we're not concentrating on the river," Inspector Chris Rozman said Monday evening. "We're using resources from other state and local law enforcement agencies, including aviation, drone and marine services."

[…]

Police located Santo's vehicle where he last parked it and believe he left Yakeley Hall on foot, Rozman said. They believe he is still in the East Lansing area.

"At this point, we have no reason to believe foul play was involved," he said, adding that police were following up on all leads.
They’re not concentrating on the river, but they’re using marine services. :confused: o_O

I wonder if BS had visited campus before and was familiar with the surroundings. Navigating his way from Yakeley Hall to the Brody area (if indeed he was headed that way) might be easier said than done...especially @ midnight and if he was looking for shortcuts rather than taking the main roads. If he was relying on maps or similar apps to navigate his way back, the attached map shows three possible routes.

Attachments

• MSUWALK (2).jpg
    MSUWALK (2).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 24
My daughter is a Junior at MSU and she lives right by campus and we live an hour Southeast of there. Below is what has been released by the MSU police. There are rumors about the search but nothing substantiated. Please say some prayers for him to be found safely. If I hear anything that can be verified I will post it

When you look at the map, from Yakeley Hall to the Brody neighborhood, the Red Cedar River is right there. Between the two locations.

The walking route that would make the most sense would take him over the river twice at bridges.

Is it possible that he could have slipped and fallen into the river? Did he know the area around campus at all?
From what little I could gather, it seems he may have been walking back to his friends dorm who resides at Brody Neighbourhood. IMO.

........MISSING PERSON: Michigan State University Police are actively looking for Brendan Santo.

Brendan was last seen leaving Yakeley Hall on Friday, October 29th shortly before midnight. He is not a student at Michigan State University and was visiting friends and may have been walking to the Brody Neighborhood.

Michigan State University

View attachment 319888

https://maps.msu.edu/__public/pdfs/MSU_main_campus.pdf

Gr-reat map, @LauraAnne. Thanks!

Is the river surrounded by trees and shrubs? It looks that way... Do you know if the area surrounding where he might have been is steep down to the water? (Excuse the probably difficult questions.)
This is upsetting -- too many days missing.

My daughter is a Junior at MSU and she lives right by campus and we live an hour Southeast of there. Below is what has been released by the MSU police. There are rumors about the search but nothing substantiated. Please say some prayers for him to be found safely. If I hear anything that can be verified I will post it

Thanks for the update. I'll be keeping Brendan in my prayers.

Thanks for the update. I'll be keeping Brendan in my prayers.

Thanks for the update, RN. It sounds like a lot of resources are involved in finding him.
Do we know anything about is parents -- are they nearby? They must be going nutz by now. I just can't imagine... Yes, prayers for all of them.

Based off the map I've seen, it looks like there wouldn't be camera doorbells, but there would likely be stoplight cameras and possibly some security cameras on university buildings.
I would think the University has cameras all over the place -- student security is very important for a lot of reasons. Undergrad students number at almost 40,000, so there's no way the Univ could police & protect students, staff and the property without lots of cameras, seems to me. JMO

I would think the University has cameras all over the place -- student security is very important for a lot of reasons. Undergrad students number at almost 40,000, so there's no way the Univ could police & protect students, staff and the property without lots of cameras, seems to me. JMO
I graduated within the last five years from a similarly sized university, and there were lots of interior cameras, but not enough exterior ones. I definitely think MSU is doing their due diligence with security cameras but it may not be possible to have cameras on every part of that route.

Thanks for the update, RN. It sounds like a lot of resources are involved in finding him.
Do we know anything about is parents -- are they nearby? They must be going nutz by now. I just can't imagine... Yes, prayers for all of them.
Hi borndem. The update was actually from abeaman02. I agree that his parents must be crazy with worry. I hope we get some good news by tomorrow morning.

“Optimistic they’ll find him safely.”
News announcer says this at the end of this video clip.
MSU Police, dive teams searching Red Cedar River for missing GVSU student | WLNS 6 News

That is very optimistic if they think he’s still out in that search area.
It’s been very cold at night here in Michigan. I’m fact as I type this it’s only 39° in East Lansing. IMO He can’t be safe after multiple nights in the outdoors in that area. IMO.
His poor parents and loved ones.

I’d really like to start hearing from some of his friends and family. Was there an altercation that night? Was he upset when he took off walking? How familiar was he with the area? What events preceded his leaving? Was he under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Was he depressed? Recent breakups?
Was he the kind of guy that would link up with someone he saw along his walk (sober or not) to either accept a ride somewhere or go off to another location? Restaurant, drug store for aspirin, etc? Who had his car keys? Did he know anyone else on campus than the friend/friends he was with? How well did he know these people? How trustworthy are they?
What info have they gotten from his phone records? Did he possibly have Life 360 or something like that installed with anyone?
Who had he last called/messaged with and when was that?

I just keep thinking about some of “our” other young men that had a similar story.
Shane Montgomery, Paul Kochu, Ken Gruno. They all ended up deceased in the water after an evening out partying.
Of course we don’t know if Brendan was partying, drinking, or not. He’s not of age. However it’s not a stretch to consider that possibility on one of the biggest party weekends on that campus.

This is so sad. He’s only 18. My Momma’s heart is breaking.

Last edited:
Unless new information surfaces that he was not bothering to attend classes, or he had a recent awful breakup, or some other indication that he'd wander off into the abyss on purpose, this case seems a little hopeless. There doesn't seem to be any indication that he was anything but a happy successful college freshman enjoying time with friends.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yurchenko
Back