GUILTY MI - Carnel Chamberlain, 4, Mount Pleasant, 21 June 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:wave:

Just found remarks that say there was a hearing for AB yesterday and one again this morning ...

https://www.facebook.com/CarnelsGroupOfHeart

The posters were asking for more info but the only items I could find was WNEM showed it several times last night and again this a.m. Another poster said it was shown on Channel 12. From a rumor, I checked WNEM TV and .com last night but nothing came up about the hearings.

I am not very good on FB so someone else may want to check it out.

BBM

Oh legal, :eek: my mind won't even go there to consider that AB could get away with murdering precious little Carnel.

Yesterday and last night, I searched all of the print MSM, and others, that have been covering news on this case hoping to learn more about the July 30th hearing time, news from the hearing yesterday, or a rescheduled hearing date. The only news article I could find was the one linked above by legal, dated July 24th ... and also previously posted in the thread. I thought it strange that only one media source would be represented at the hearing.

In reading the article again today, it occurred to me that the date of July 30th in the article as quoted below seems to come from AB's mother ... instead of a confirmed date from a media source. :cow: Just a thought!

I know it's hard to think that Bennett may get away with this crime. It could take a few months for forensics to come back, but I haven't even heard of any evidence being found. So we just have to wait and hope that little Carnel gets justice.

MT. PLEASANT (WJRT) - (08/02/12) - There are new developments in the case of Carnel Chamberlain, the little boy whose remains were found near his mother's home in Isabella County.

A trial date has been set for Anthony Bennett, the man charged with assaulting 4-year-old Carnel.

According to federal court papers, Bennett's last day to accept a plea agreement in the case will be Nov. 13. If no agreement is reached, the trial would start on Nov. 27th.

http://www.abc12.com/story/19179502/trial-date-set-for-anthony-bennett

MT. PLEASANT (WJRT) - (08/02/12) - There are new developments in the case of Carnel Chamberlain, the little boy whose remains were found near his mother's home in Isabella County.

A trial date has been set for Anthony Bennett, the man charged with assaulting 4-year-old Carnel.

According to federal court papers, Bennett's last day to accept a plea agreement in the case will be Nov. 13. If no agreement is reached, the trial would start on Nov. 27th.

So he is going to trial for ASSAULT?

still hopeful that more charges are to follow. right now, AB is off the streets and not a danger to anyone. I'm okay with authorities taking their time and building a case for murder.

Someone may need to remind me of this post later on down the road if the wait goes on too long ;) Another case I am still awaiting murder charges on has begun to drag on too long for my taste and is becoming discouraging. Not Discouraged with Carnel's case yet tho.

So he is going to trial for ASSAULT?

The assault charge keeps him in custody while the case for the murder charge is being built. That case will continue to go forward, which includes setting a trial date. I'm grateful they can hold him in custody on this lessor charge and take their time to build a solid case for Carnel's murder.

I think you know all that katy, rather your question was a rhetorical one
icon12.gif

Good posts on the Lyric & Elizabeth thread, btw.

The assault charge keeps him in custody while the case for the murder charge is being built. That case will continue to go forward, which includes setting a trial date. I'm grateful they can hold him in custody on this lessor charge and take their time to build a solid case for Carnel's murder.

I think you know all that katy, rather your question was a rhetorical one
icon12.gif

Good posts on the Lyric & Elizabeth thread, btw.

I know that. But it is annoying. He was the only one home when that precious baby was beaten, dismembered and burned, then buried under the porch. So having him charged with assault is very frustrating, imo.

A federal public defender's website states that a detention hearing is:

When a person is arrested on federal charges, often the government wants him detained (held without bail) while the case is pending. The government will file a motion for detention, and a magistrate judge will hear evidence to determine whether the accused should be detained or released on conditions.

The issue in a detention hearing is whether there is any combination of conditions of release that will ensure that the accused will appear in court and not harm the community...
...An indictment is enough to show that there is probable cause...
Copyright WNEM 2012 (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

http://www.wnem.com/story/18934489/carnel-chamberlain-death-could-become-death-penalty-case

This guy kills and burns animals, he stabbed his own sister, he assaulted one of girlfriends. Now a child ends up assaulted and then dead under his supervision. All at the age of 20. IMO he should have still been in jail for the animal abuse and the assault. Or he should have been committed to a mental institution. When I worked for the state I saw violent guys like Bennett do 4 or 5 yrs and walk out and go commit more crimes. The prison was a revolving door for them. It not only made me quit my job but made me move to a small town. Where the biggest crime is vandalism.

So we don't know what the deal is?

I know that. But it is annoying. He was the only one home when that precious baby was beaten, dismembered and burned, then buried under the porch. So having him charged with assault is very frustrating, imo.

Unfortunately just because you are the last one seen with a person and they end up dead like in the Joran Van der Sloot and the Anthony case does not automatically make you guilty. Joran went on to kill again and I believe that Bennett may do the same. I'm just warning everyone to prepare yourselves he may not be charged with murder. Good thing the Statute of Limitations will never run out. JMO.

So the feds are offering him a deal on the assault case, why?

I'd like to see what they are offering him. I pray it is not another case of letting AB skirt the system. He's done far too much of that and it is time he be held responsible to the fullest extent of the law.

So the feds are offering him a deal on the assault case, why?

I'd like to see what they are offering him. I pray it is not another case of letting AB skirt the system. He's done far too much of that and it is time he be held responsible to the fullest extent of the law.

Probably just to save the family the stress of a trial, not to mention it saves money. If he turns down the deal, he could end up with a jury that finds him not guilty. Which would put him back on the street.

is it possible that this offer of plea agreement is being supported by Carnel's family? If a plea arrangement is made this would then negate the necessity of Carnel's mother of having to testify about the abuse. It would also benefit her because then there would be no transcript of her testimony at trial to then be used against her if the feds or tribe decide to prosecute her for her own failure to act during this abuse for which AB is charged.

Just thinking out loud.

is it possible that this offer of plea agreement is being supported by Carnel's family? If a plea arrangement is made this would then negate the necessity of Carnel's mother of having to testify about the abuse. It would also benefit her because then there would be no transcript of her testimony at trial to then be used against her if the feds or tribe decide to prosecute her for her own failure to act during this abuse for which AB is charged.

Just thinking out loud.

Good points. Additionally, a deal would mean there is no testimony of potential witnesses for a future murder trial. A means for the prosecution to not show their hand to the defense for potential future case(s) so to speak.

Though that also means any testimony of AB's in an assault trial could not be used in a future potential murder trial.

Just thinking out loud.

I think that if somehow they find enough evidence to prosecute Bennett of murder, the abuse would still be part of the prosecutions case and the mother would still have to testify. I think part of the plea agreement would be that he would plead guilty to abuse, at a lesser charge. If he turns down the plea agreement, I hope they will find a way to charge Bennett with murder in the first degree, along with aggravated assault.JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicejean1980
Back