Found Deceased MI - Dr. Teleka Patrick, 30, Kalamazoo, 5 Dec 2013 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm thankful her body was found. Better to know than never know. As expected, she was near her car, within a couple hundred feet, and was likely in a state of paranoia. I opined back in Jan that I didn't think this case was a crime case and that her body would be found when someone stumbled upon it.

Had she been found the next day we likely would not have heard of it or her and it would have stayed a local news item that didn't gain national attention since she wouldn't really have been 'missing.'

This kind of thing happens more than you'd think. Here in NC they call them "silver alerts" like when an elderly person walks off or someone with diminished mental capacities leaves wherever they were. I would consider Taleka's case similarly. She clearly was mentally ill and her going off was due to her paranoia.

Autopsy expected to identify body found in Indiana lake searched for missing Michigan doctor

Dr. Taleka Patrick of Kalamazoo has been missing since December

Published On: Apr 08 2014 07:27:00 AM EDT

PORTER, Ind. -
An autopsy is set to be performed on a woman's body recovered from a northwestern Indiana lake that had been searched for a missing Michigan doctor.

Porter County Coroner Chuck Harris says he expects the autopsy scheduled for Tuesday to determine the identity of the woman and a cause of death...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...searched-for-missing-michigan-doctor/25372616

April 7, 2014 at 2:19 pm

Ruling on missing Michigan doctor awaits autopsy

Associated Press

Porter, Ind. — A northwestern Indiana coroner’s office says until an autopsy is completed it won’t confirm whether a body found in a lake is that of a Michigan doctor missing since December.

Doris Amling of the Porter County coroner’s office says an autopsy likely will be conducted Tuesday in hopes of determining the cause of death and identity...

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140407/METRO06/304070090#ixzz2yJ44Rtr4

One of the mlive stories this morning had comments (think it was the search on hold) where someone posted the FB pics of the fence showing it was broken & that she could have easily gotten over the fence. Someone from Mlive commented that their reporter also went to check the fence but said it was too high to get over. Sounds like someone fixed it after the original pics were taken.

Comments are back on the story...
Teleka Patrick search on hold pending autopsy

is anyone else's margins blown??? Every page/thread I look at and my zoom is not turned up or down, just blown margins all round.

Sorry for the OT

I would not judge him for accepting the reward. I can't imagine how traumatic finding a body would be. I might need to talk to someone or something after such an experience.

How are you reading the post? I'm using firefox; everything is fine.

I assume this was already posted

KALAMAZOO, MI -- For months, members of WebSleuths have closely tracked the investigation into the disappearance of Dr. Teleka Patrick, a 30-year-old medical resident last seen pulling out of the parking lot of Borgess Medical Center on Dec. 5.

An online forum on missing-person cases, WebSleuths had dozens of members who regularly picked through every aspect of the Patrick investigation and brainstormed about clues they hoped would lead to finding Patrick alive.

Along the way, they uncovered aspects of Patrick's life that she had largely kept hidden from friends and family.

But Websleuth members...

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/04/teleka_patrick_disappearance_f.html

I saw that article and yes I think it's been posted a couple times or so.

Her body was discovered exactly how most bodies are discovered -- someone physically stumbling upon it while out doing something else. That's how it commonly happens. Hunters, fishermen, someone on a hike, kids out playing somewhere. A person unconnected with the case, not on a computer, not trying to find the missing person, sees something that captures their attention, looks closer, finds remains, calls 911.

So sad to hear this news.

My heart goes out to Teleka's family.

:heartbeat::heartbeat::heartbeat:

My laptop fell and broke about 2 weeks ago,
so I have limited internet access.

May truth prevail.

It's a mystery why the margins are blown here on the thread, when there's nothing to have caused it?

this brings my mind back to little myra it's my belief that she's in a body of water nearby as well.

Hmmmm. This seems strange to me. News articles indicate that due to the level of decomposition they couldn't confirm body's identity until autopsy performed and dental records and fingerprints are used.....yet this man was magically able to recognize her that easily such that he looked her up on the internet? Seems a little far-fetched to me, IMO.

An educated guess would tell me, that there was not many other women with black jackets, who went missing floating around in that lake.

I made this today. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I guess that is another sign I'm getting old :)

I do not understand why it's taking so long to compare dentals unless her family asked for time to notify family & make arrangements to bring her home? Her dentals have been in NamUs for a week.

Edit - wonder if she had her car keys in her pocket?

One of the mlive stories this morning had comments (think it was the search on hold) where someone posted the FB pics of the fence showing it was broken & that she could have easily gotten over the fence. Someone from Mlive commented that their reporter also went to check the fence but said it was too high to get over. Sounds like someone fixed it after the original pics were taken.

Comments are back on the story...
Teleka Patrick search on hold pending autopsy

Going back to the fence..

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2014/04/teleka_patrick_search_on_hold.html

"We're just in a holding pattern until we get the (autopsy) results," Matyas said. "From the autopsy, we'll find out, No. 1, is it her and, No. 2, hopefully the cause the death."

While authorities have searched the lake using sonar several times in recent months, they also had expressed skepticism they would find Patrick's body there.

The reason: Between I-94 and Lake Charles is a four-foot wire fence, topped with barbed wire, meant to keep deer and other wildlife in the nearby woods from running onto the highway.

"You can't just walk from the car into the lake," Matyas said. "It would take a distinct effort to go in that direction," away from the highway and towards the lake.

He declined Monday to speculate on what might have happened. "We're drawing no conclusions now" until the autopsy results come in, he said.

BBM interesting the article says 4ft fence; comment by Julie Mack to the guy that posted the FB pics- Mark and Rex walked along the fence link in both directions. They definitely came away with the impression that getting over the fence would take some effort. Mark told me today the fence came to his shoulder, and there was barbed wire on top.

So how did it go from a 4ft fence to shoulder height?

Once the air is replaced with water in the lungs the body will sink to the very bottom and can drift becoming entangled/hidden in down trees, debris, and even sink into open crevices on the bottom.

In fishing lakes debris like old Christmas trees is sometimes added to the lake to make fish habitat.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news...ricks-family-could-learn-bodys-identity-today

Porter, IN - The family of a missing Michigan doctor could learn as early as this afternoon whether a body that was found in Porter, Indiana is that of Dr. Teleka Patrick, according to the family’s Private Investigator.

The 7 Action News Investigators have learned that an autopsy got underway at 8:00am CDT in Indiana.

A fisherman discovered the body around 7:10 Sunday morning.

“We will be conducting a test on dental records and fingerprinting, so until that’s done we’re not going to be making a positive identification,” said Chuck Harris, Porter County Coroner on Monday.

The Kalamazoo County Sheriff is planning on holding a press conference on Wednesday at 10:00am.

“On December 5th it would be difficult for someone to get into that lake,” said Carlin.

Carlin says it’s hard to imagine how Dr. Patrick would get over a barbed wire fence and through 150 yards of dense brush and mud to the lake in the dark.

“Even with the winter, if you went over that fence you’re going to tear some fabric on your jacket or your clothes. That fence was clean,” said Carlin. “If you thought you were in water or mud, you’re at least going to turn around and go in the other direction.”

I have two questions:

1. Did LE and Jim Carlin both visually inspect every inch of the entire fence line? Every single inch?

2. When people go fishing in/on that lake, how do they get in?

“Even with the winter, if you went over that fence you’re going to tear some fabric on your jacket or your clothes. That fence was clean,” said Carlin. “If you thought you were in water or mud, you’re at least going to turn around and go in the other direction.”

http://www.wxyz.com/news/local-news...ricks-family-could-learn-bodys-identity-today

Perhaps she didn't climb over the fence. Perhaps she was running and tumbled over it. We all saw the camera shot of that section that was sagging/pushed down. Teleka is 5'7". If the 4' fence is 3'6"-3"-8" in that pushed down (and covered with cushioning dried vines) section....that hits at my bottom ribs, and I'm only 5'3". That would hit at waist or below on Teleka.

(Yes, I took out a tape measure for this....)

48" hits at my chest, and again, I'm four inches shorter than Teleka. Running/stumbling....flip over fence at hips/waist height section. Jacket looked like sturdy, thick fabric, covers torso to upper thigh. Barbs on top may have punctured/torn coat but not left much of anything behind. Even if there was a fluff of coat stuffing, they didn't start looking for her for six days. No weather to wash/blow some coat fluff away in 6 days?

Lands on other side (don't know how close to water the section of fence where she went over is) and could have rolled directly in after falling, or, stunned from her fall, wobbled back up to standing, started running in the dark again, right into lake, coat and shoes become anchors, water ice cold. Low that night: 22 degrees. Not exactly a pool ladder on the edge of that pond...

It's obviously possible because she did, in fact, get to the other side and into that lake. She may have a rip in her coat but there might not be any fibers left on the fence itself. Somehow, some way she did get to the lake.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quiet Place
Back