MI MI - Jacob Cabinaw, 31, Traverse City, 31 March 2010

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What I've learned through my time at Websleuths and looking at other cases is that -- wow -- there are more people than I ever thought who walk away from their lives. It is so antithema (sp) to what I would ever do, which makes it more difficult for me to believe it. But by golly, it is true -- there is a segment of the population that apparently becomes so unhappy with their lives that they are willing to walk away wtihout looking back. Wow - I'm not sure whether to think of them as being courageous, or just cowardly -- well, it's always cowardly and selfish to walk away from a family -- my opinion only folks.

My theory here is that he went to Sweetwater TX (his brother was stationed there in the military) to surprise him and ran into some trouble before he could get there (maybe he got carjacked or kidnapped?) and unfortunately never made it to his destination. It's sad..

It has been almost one year since Jacob Cabinaw disappeared.

New information on the Jacob Cabinaw case today, here is a recap, this is what I have gathered from the past few days worth of news posting and radio talk:

A local radio producer/newspaper columnist in Traverse City Richard Coates is doing independent research on Jacob's disappearance, taking anonymous info and leads that people don't want to go to the sherriffs department about. He has been contacted by a lot of people.

It was announced on local radio morning talk show Omelette and Finster (WKLT Traverse City) today that someone has come forward to authorities to claim they saw Jacob Cabinaw in Chicago April 1st. He was alone and seemed 'disoriented'.

One new theory that is being considered but NOT confirmed that he was persuaded to do a drug run to Mexico for some easy cash by someone he knows and foul play may have ensued. They also stated that it is "very easy" to make a vehicle disappear, inferring Jacob's vehicle may have been stripped and destroyed. It also explains why Jake didn't use his own money to get to Texas.

Several people called into the talk show today that knew Jacob personally and swear theres a drug run connection, but did say they do NOT want to tarnish Jake's name as he is a good man and is extremely helpful, just may have been persuaded by someone to do something for someone thinking he'd be back in a few days a little richer. They also say that Jacob has friends that are known to mess around in drug dealing, and say this sounds like a very probable situation.

I think these 'friends' he was frisbee golfing with know more than they are letting on.

Grand Traverse detectives say this case is at the top of their file.

Edit: There is a candlelight vigil planned for Jake's 1 year disappearance. April 1st, 6-9pm, Traverse Bay United Methodist Church (corner of Ramsdell & Bay Street, Traverse City, MI

Have just read thru this case and it seems what KULLom above wrote seems to be true, his "friend" was a drug trafficker and convinced him to do a drug run. I think something went wrong somewhere and he has been disposed of.

I am on the same page. I think this is what happened. If this is true, I doubt they'll ever find him.

I am on the same page. I think this is what happened. If this is true, I doubt they'll ever find him.

I agree too. And if this is true....it is sad for his family and friends. To never know "for sure" what happened to him, to have no 'one' to say good-bye to, to bury is heart-breaking.

Seems like his 'friends' in the know are saying this is what happened, just wish LE could verify this for his family.

Oh Jacob, where are you my boy?

Search Continues for Missing Grand Traverse Co. Man

The family of a missing Grand Traverse County man says they're not giving up hope in their search.

http://www.9and10news.com/Category/Story/?id=286793&cID=1

Not a trace

Friends and family of Jacob Cabinaw will gather tonight at the Traverse Bay United Methodist Church to mark one year since his disappearance.

Derek Bailey, chairman of the Grand Traverse Band of Ottawa & Chippewa Indians (GTB), will speak at the event which is scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. at the church, located off Bay Street in Traverse City. Cabinaw is a GTB member.

“It’s a coming together to show solidarity and let people know that Jacob is loved and missed by many, many people and that he’s not forgotten,” said Cabinaw’s sister, Sandra Cranson.

More: http://www.leelanaunews.com/drupal/index.php?q=node/28108

I am bumping this for more coverage of Jake.

There has been no new news, no word from the detectives, nothing. This case is growing colder and colder every day.

His mother is attending a missing persons event in Detroit this weekend, where they will take her DNA to match to any identified persons found in the area he was last seen.

He is still missing:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Find-Jacob-Cabinaw/116772778338560

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/9025/0/
Status Missing
First name Jacob
Middle name
Last name Cabinaw
Nickname/Alias "Jake"
Date LKA March 31, 2010 - 16:58
Date entered December 28, 2010
Age LKA 31 to 31 years old
Age now 33 years old
Race Native American
Ethnicity
Sex Male
Height 69.0 to 73.0 inches
Weight 145.0 to 155.0 pounds

Jake was last seen March 31st in the evening. He dropped a friend off in downtown Traverse City, Michigan after playing frisbee golf. He was last seen wearing his work uniform which is a grey jacket with “Dave’s Garage” printed on it and dark blue pants. His 2002 Silver Chevy Malibu License Plate #BKQ 4107 has minor damage on the passenger front panel and is also missing. Jake is member of the National Guard and foul play is suspected. He is drug free and a family man.

Bumping and tagging this thread to follow any developments that come about.

I've been following this case and the FB feed for quite some time, as Jacob is from TC, which is not far from where I grew up.

Praying for answers for the family. It must be heartbreaking, not knowing what happened.

For the MI sleuths, there has been a leg bone found on Lake Michigan at Silver Lake. The bone appears to be about 20 inches long (it doesn't state leg bone but appears to be a femur to me). I believe this would most likely be a taller male's bone. (Inseam being taken into consideration, it would be approx. 36 - 38 inch inseam). My husband is 6'3" and his inseam is 36 inches.

The story is here: http://www.9and10news.com/story/239...-on-lake-michigan-beach#.UpZuW0cV6c8.facebook

They are sending the bone out for DNA testing. I hope one of our MI Missings find some closure through this discovery.

Has there been any news on Jacob?

1-2 weeks ago someone with adminstrative access to the "Find the Jacob Cabinaw" facebook page said that they were hopefully going to make an announcement "on Sunday." Now the page seems to have been removed...? I don't want to alarm anyone but I'm rather curious at this point.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back