GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, embarassing on so many levels. Do we have to physically hand BB a 'get out of jail free' card?????????

UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fox 2 just reported that the clothes weren't even asked for until 5 days later? Why is this taking so long to come out?
Many years ago I went into the ME and went on a tour through it. At that time, when I seen the bodies in the refrigerator section and freezer, they were non clothed.
So if her nails, etc. were examined and evidence gathered, why wouldn't the clothes be all marked to be sent? I wonder if bb was asked by the funeral home when they received them if he wanted them or he told them to dispose of them. So many questions and who will be held accountable? Kim Worthy will want some heads roll for this and JB's family as well!!!!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-Bashara-s-attorney-says-key-evidence-missing
Grosse Pointe murder: Bashara's attorney says key evidence missing

The significance of that is huge," Griem said Friday. "I think most crime scene experts would tell you the clothing the victim was wearing in a case like this is likely to contain more evidence than the body itself.

"I would submit that the handling of Jane Bashara's clothing alone is sufficient reasonable doubt for a jury to return a not-guilty verdict if my client is ever charged."

I am still picking my jaw up off the floor peeps! Seriously!

I think I may need to use the duct tape before handing it over to LE the ME and the funeral guy (he gets to use it just for not knowing where he put the clothes imhoo)

and what about the coat that she was wrapped in? Please tell me that wasn't part of the clothing that is floating out in "clothing limbo" right now???

<snip>

Hopefully someone with more knowledge that I have will be able to answer. All I know is things I've read over the years.

In Jane's specific case, her autopsy would have been handled by the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office. It's completely separate from any funeral home. (http://www.co.wayne.mi.us/hhs_meo.htm ) This is what they say about themselves: The purpose of the Medical Examiner's Office is to provide forensic death investigations, autopsy, and toxicological services to the general public and medico-legal community so they can have documented, timely, and accurate cause and manner of death.

I would assume that police would have been directly involved with this office regarding Jane's death and should have been given the evidence found on/with her body.

In smaller towns, a local dr/ME may go to the funeral home to conduct an autopsy simply because they are already equipped for handling a body and/or the area is so small and remote, they can't justify having a dedicated ME office. I've heard of that happening mostly in cases from the 80s or earlier, tho. In Wayne County, which is highly populated and includes Detroit, there's no way this could be done. Their volume is so high, they have to have a dedicated facility.

My husband has a client who is a doctor in a very small farming community in south MI. I've met him and visited at his home. He and his family are very nice folks. He acts as the local medical examiner and, IIRC, has done some smaller ME type work at a local funeral home, but, and I'm assuming the following, I would think that if he came across an obvious murder, he'd call the State Police or whatever legal governing body would be appropriate so a complete investigation, including a full autopsy, could be done.

I've been following a cold case murder for over 20 years (Keith Warren) where the clothes went missing. The victim was murdered but the police picked a funeral home and sent the body there instead of to the ME office. His body was not examined and was immediately embalmed. The family was not given the victim's clothing because the body had been so decomposed, the clothes had to be destroyed. Years later, they found out that his body was found not even wearing his own clothes, his body was in very good condition and not decomposed at all, and they had to have him exhumed to finally have an autopsy conducted. Among people who discuss that case, we're divided between deliberate cover up or police incompetence.

Now that the clothing is missing in Jane's case, I can't decide between those two. Is it a cover up involving bb's friends in high places, or are the officials so incompetent that they would lose evidence in a murder case that was one of the most high profile I've ever seen here. I don't even watch the local news and you still just can't get away from how highly publicized this has been in the area. Every one of the people directly involved had to know how big this was when they were processing all the evidence they "lost".

Thanks for the info. Seems that you are correct. I did some reading up in my city/county and found out the ME is actually a contracted position that is decided by the County Attorney's office. It was reported that our ME makes $1100 per autopsy for the approx. 150 autopsy's requested for our county per year. (not too shabby!) He also is contracted to 2 other large counties. Our city does not have a dedicated morgue and the hospitals are used instead. Interesting.

I am still picking my jaw up off the floor peeps! Seriously!

I think I may need to use the duct tape before handing it over to LE the ME and the funeral guy (he gets to use it just for not knowing where he put the clothes imhoo)

and what about the coat that she was wrapped in? Please tell me that wasn't part of the clothing that is floating out in "clothing limbo" right now???

I wondered about the coat too, as it wasn't listed in the clothing items listed in one of the above articles.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/...-Bashara-s-attorney-says-key-evidence-missing
Grosse Pointe murder: Bashara's attorney says key evidence missing

The significance of that is huge," Griem said Friday. "I think most crime scene experts would tell you the clothing the victim was wearing in a case like this is likely to contain more evidence than the body itself.

"I would submit that the handling of Jane Bashara's clothing alone is sufficient reasonable doubt for a jury to return a not-guilty verdict if my client is ever charged."

Why does that mans comments make me want to smack the *&% out of him whenever he opens his mouth?

http://www.freep.com/article/20120309/N ... CFRONTPAGE
--snipped--

According to the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office, an autopsy was conducted Jan. 26. Records show Bashara's body and clothing were released the next day to the A.H. Peters Funeral Home in Grosse Pointe Woods, which handled the visitation and cremation. According to the office, her clothing included black stretch pants, a greenish-blue blouse, house shoes and underwear.

Phillip Potter, an A.H. Peters funeral director, signed for the body and clothing. He said Thursday that he didn't remember what was done with the clothing. The funeral home's usual practice is to discard soiled or bloodstained clothing in the trash rather than return it to the family, Potter said."

--jane's COD was listed as "strangulation"----her clothes/shoes wouldn't even BE "blood stained and soiled".

--was she wearing ear-rings, a watch, rings ?? did philip potter toss those in the trash too?

--i doubt it, someone from the family had to have signed off on her personal effects at the funeral home.

--this doesn't make any sense.

-was she wearing ear-rings, a watch, rings ?? did philip potter toss those in the trash too?
Seems that someone would be asked about what to do with the jewelry and the clothes. I'm guessing that person was bb.
Anyone know if JB's family is communicating at all with bb? As a Mother you know we would be all over that in person or phone calls!!! I sure don't think he would want them found!!!

--WDIV @ noon :

--talked about the missing clothes

--coming up @ 4 EST :

*medical expert will talk about the missing clothes/what it means
*the defenders--have uncovered "new evidence" never heard of before
*the defenders have "new info" on what really happened the night jane was murdered

--link to WDIV livestream: news @ 4:00 EST--5:00 EST--6:00 EST

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/-/17 ... index.html
--Watch Local 4 News Here

If it turns out that the Wayne County Medical Examiner messed up, it wouldn't be the first time, nor will it be the last. :moo: Locals might remember the botched autopsy of murder victim David Widlak. ME Daniel Spitz' autopsy report indicated that there were no signs of trauma to the body of DW, but the Oakland County Medical Examiner found a bullet lodged in the victim's skull:

...Horrifying news brings them closer to the truth

Widlak's body was at Dragovic's office the next morning. X-rays picked up small fragments at the base of the skull and something larger in the chest.

A detailed investigation would have to wait until the body -- frozen to preserve it -- thawed.

The next day, Dragovic examined the body faceup, then turned it over.

What he found stopped him. He called Hackel and Daniel Spitz.

Soon, Dave's younger brother Paul Widlak and Anne were called to Hackel's office, where they were joined by an uneasy Spitz.

There was new information: A bullet wound was found in the back of Dave's head.

"I was truly in shock," Anne recalled. "I immediately thought he'd been murdered.

"It was horrifying news, but it brought us closer to the truth."

Dragovic had found a 3/8-inch wound at the base of the skull. There was soot inside the edges. He traced the wound path through the spinal column and neck. A slug was recovered from the top of the right lung.

It was homicide, he said, adding he believed Widlak "was shot execution style"...

http://www.freep.com/article/201109...ery-clouded-by-botched-autopsy-puzzling-clues

Bob Bashara's attorney, David Griem, said his client never got the clothing and is devastated because the clothing is a key piece of potential evidence that could carry traces of DNA.

"What next? It's just been one issue after another," Griem said.

Griem said three difference agencies are working on the case and it's hard to pinpoint exactly where the clothes went missing.

"Jane Bashara fought for her life. In an assault crime like this, the clothing is the key to the case," Griem said.

The Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office told Local 4 Jane Bashara's body and her belongings, including her clothes, were turned over to the AH Peter's Funeral Home on Jan. 27. Sources said Grosse Pointe Park police asked for the clothes five days after her body was released.

The Grosse Pointe Park Police Department has not commented.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ody-is-missing/-/1719314/9266928/-/qnqglxz/-/

I bet bob is not :moo:devestated:moo:

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
Will it ever be known who dropped the ball or is this a classic SNAFU?

a little mirth: a comment after the CoD link says the police have now misplaced Bob's house.

I hope someone else was watching this... my feed cut out.. but I could have swore they said the clothing was not lost

I hope someone else was watching this... my feed cut out.. but I could have swore they said the clothing was not lost
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/inve ... index.html
Detroit police say clothes from Jane Bashara are not missing

Spokeswoman says clothes were turned over to Michigan State Police lab

Multiple sources and the Detroit Police Department confirmed Friday to the Local 4 Defenders that the clothing Jane Bashara was wearing when she was found murdered is in the hands of the Michigan State Police forensic lab.

"There were items of clothing that were recovered from the body of Jane Bashara and sent to the MSP lab for testing," said DPD spokesperson Sgt. Eren Stephens.

Michigan State Police have not commented.
The Grosse Pointe Park Police Department has not commented.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx