GUILTY MI - Jane Bashara, 56, dies in contract killing, Grosse Pointe Park, 25 Jan 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bashara ponders lonely future, may write book

Posted: 06/02/12 05:26 pm

By Mitch Hotts
mitch.hotts@macombdaily.com

While Bob Bashara waits to see if prosecutors will charge him for the strangulation of his wife, the Grosse Pointe Park property manager ponders his future and the prospect of someday writing a book about his experiences.

Bashara, who Grosse Pointe Park police have labeled a person of interest in the murder of Jane Bashara, said he’s been ostracized from the life he once knew and feels he has been falsely portrayed by anonymous prosecutors and the media as an out-of-control playboy who got a sexual thrill from causing pain to women.

“The bottom line is I am a pacifist,” he said. “I am not a violent person in any way and I could never be mean or evil-spirited. I’m a man who owns rental properties, and who cared for two women. But I loved my wife, Jane. Without her, I have nothing.”

Jane Bashara, a Mount Clemens native who worked for a marketing firm, was married for 26 years to Bob Bashara and the couple have two grown children. The two were well known in the Grosse Pointe community, raising thousands of dollars for various school and charitable projects.

Her body was found Jan. 25 in the back of her SUV in an alley on Detroit’s east side, about seven miles from her home where she had been reported missing by her husband the night before. An autopsy determined she had been strangled.

In the days and weeks after the discovery, lurid details of Bob Bashara’s life began to surface. There were reports of an affair with another woman who said the two were preparing to launch a new life together, and an alternative lifestyle involving sex dungeons.

During a telephone interview with The Macomb Daily, Bashara was asked what his future holds if he is not charged. Although he may not want to, he may have to leave Grosse Pointe Park. “I was happy. I had a very good life,” he said while tending to one of his rental properties near 11 Mile and Jefferson in St. Clair Shores.

“I would come home from my volunteer work with a sense of satisfaction and to my wife, who I loved dearly. Yes, I cared for two women. Does that mean I would leave Jane? Absolutely not.” The other woman, Rachel Gillett, has said in interviews that she and Bob had a lengthy relationship. She said he told her he was divorced and she believed him.

The two traveled together and were seen out together in public. She said they planned to buy a new house and start a new life with another woman in an alternative lifestyle arrangement.

In recent weeks, however, Gillett has sought a personal protection order, saying she now is in fear of Bashara after he has repeatedly tried to contact her. He has apologized for that and says he will no longer try to communicate with her.

As for his role in the bondage and domination community where he was known as “Master Bob,” Bashara said the public doesn’t understand the lifestyle, adding he may someday write a book about his experiences. He declined to be too specific because of his children, but did talk in general terms.

“Most people don’t understand the whole bondage and domination thing,” he said. “Many couples could benefit by the principles. In this lifestyle, I met women who had been abused and befriended them, empowered them, to understand their needs of submission in a positive way. This isn’t about rough sex; it’s not about sex at all.”

He pointed to the popularity of “50 Shades of Grey,” the best-selling erotic novel with similar themes: A successful businessman with a loving family is enticed by another woman with her own dark desires, as evidence of the public’s appetite for something wildly different.

“Ten years ago, there was no approval of gay marriage but now it’s legal in eight states and the president of the United States is approving of it. That lifestyle has become more understood and accepted over the past 10 years. I think this lifestyle will eventually become more understood as well,” he said. “This is not about men beating women for their satisfaction. I detest those people. This is not about S&M. Domination and submission, that’s what it’s about. It’s about a mental mindset.”

None of Bashara’s private life would have ever made headlines if his wife hadn’t been brutally beaten and killed.

Police have charged Joe Gentz with her death and conspiracy to commit murder.

A former Bashara handyman, Gentz reportedly confessed, telling police alternately that he was forced at gunpoint by Bob Bashara to kill the woman, while other times saying he was given cash and a used car for the murder. He remains in jail awaiting a June 11 hearing in 36th District Court in Detroit to determine whether he his mentally stable enough to understand the charges against him.

David Griem, Bashara’s defense attorney, said he suspects the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office is waiting for Gentz to be found competent and then strike a plea bargain deal with him to testify against Bashara.

If Bashara is charged at some point, Griem said he would question the timing.

“I think the prosecutor’s office would then be in a position to have to explain what was the triggering event that caused them to seek a warrant against Mr. Bashara,” Griem said. “What evidence would they have that was not present a day ago, a week ago, four months ago. It would be Joe Gentz being found competent.”

Maria Miller, a spokeswoman for the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office, said Prosecutor Kym Worthy had no comment.

For his part, Bashara said he is “scared as hell” of being charged. He believes the prosecutor’s office is “driving a smear campaign with no evidence” against him, waiting for him to crack.

“The reason I hold my head high even though I’ve lost everything is Jane. The bottom line is I wasn’t there when she died and I so wish I had been home that night to protect her,” he said.

--------

Source: http://macombdaily.com/article/2012...lonely-future-may-write-book&pager=full_story

:leaf2: :rose: :rose: :rose: :leaf2:​

:rose: After 3 weeks of planning, today is the kick-off of the Justice for Jane campaign! :rose:​

Below is the press release that was sent today to the major media outlets in Detroit and the Grosse Pointes.

• PRESS RELEASE

Saturday June 9, 2012
    Re: Justice for Jane (Bashara) campaign

Saturday, June 9 is the kick-off of the Justice for Jane campaign in the Grosse Pointe community. This campaign is the display of items with the words “Justice for Jane” including yard signs, ribbon magnets for cars, wristbands, and purple tree ribbons. This first distribution of items is very limited, with future distributions planned as new requests are received.

The goal is to have as many of them on view as possible before June 22, which would have been her 57th birthday. We believe Jane would be proud and deeply gratified that her community joined together to avenge the terrible wrong of her senseless death.

The purpose of the campaign is to show in a visible way the Grosse Pointe community's desire to bring to justice whoever murdered one of its most respected members. It affirms a trust in law enforcements' efforts on her case and stands behind them.

Sale of campaign items serves a dual purpose in providing funds for a commemorative vigil for Jane which will be held later this summer, date to be determined. All proceeds in excess of expenses will be donated to one of Jane’s favorite charities.

This first wave of signs and tree ribbons is very limited as they were sold with no media exposure or advertising --- simply from those who view Justice4Jane.forumotion.com. We fully expect many more requests when people see them and hear about the campaign. They will be distributed every week for as long as being ordered. The wristbands and car magnets are due in by June 15. To date, the count ordered is: yards signs, 46; wristbands, 52; ribbon car magnets, 23; tree ribbons, 14.

Costs of these items are: yard signs $15; wristbands, tree ribbons, and ribbon magnets, $5 each. To buy or make donations, email Justice4Jane@yahoo.com, re: orders/donations. Purchasers will be notified of the pickup date and location in Grosse Pointe.

The organizers wish to remain in the background (not take the spotlight) and let the campaign speak for itself. We truthfully would like little media coverage, but realize that is not feasible with such a high profile case. For any questions, please email justice4jane@yahoo.com with the reporter’s name and contact information. A volunteer will email the reporter with the requested information. Thank you for your consideration.

Since this forum was started less than a month ago (May 13), we are pleased with this progress. Onward and upward!

Yard / Vigil Sign $15.00 (stakes included)

Proof.ashx

th_003.jpg

Wristband $5.00

th_gd_test_color-filledphp.png

Car Magnet Ribbons $5.00
get-item-image-dynamic.pl

Tree ribbons are also available. One ribbon will fit a large trunk. Cut in half it can cover 2 smaller trunks.

********************************** ********************************** **********************************

After covering expenses and unsold inventory, any remainder will be donated to one of Jane's charities.​

Murder suspect Joe Gentz heads to court Monday for a competency hearing

Gentz charged in murder of Grosse Pointe woman, Jane Bashara

Published On: Jun 10 2012 06:17:19 AM EDT

joe-gentz-competency-exam-jpg.jpg

DETROIT -
Monday, a judge will decide if Joe Gentz will stand trial for the murder of Grosse Pointe woman, Jane Bashara. The handyman allegedly confessed to killing Jane.

His attorney, Susan Reed, said Gentz has had few visitors.

She said Gentz has said he’s worried about what’s next in the case...

--------

The rest is at the Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...ring/-/1719418/14760120/-/qw25ko/-/index.html

Darkman00 said:
Joe Gentz is due in court at 1 pm Eastern Time on Monday ... if i am not mistaken.

"Gentz is expected to return to 36th District Court in Detroit on June 11 to determine if he's been deemed mentally fit for trial."

It, actually, looks like 1:30 pm on June 11 (not 1:00 pm), if the Source is correct:

At press time, Gentz’s competency hearing was rescheduled for 1:30 p.m. June 11 to give the Forensic Center time to come up with their findings...
court.jpg

36th District Court
421 Madison Avenue
Detroit, Mi 48226

The 36th District Court is one of the largest and busiest courts in the United States. Most of the citizens of Detroit will have their first contact with the judicial system through the district court. For this reason, it is often referred to as the "People's Court".

While the 36th District Court processes over 500,000 cases each year, it is a court of limited jurisdiction. This means that its authority is limited to only those actions that have been defined by state law. This court has original jurisdiction for the following actions occurring in the city of Detroit:

- All Traffic and Ordinance Violations

- All Criminal Misdemeanor Cases

- Preliminary Examinations for Felony Cases

- Small Claims Suits

- Civil Lawsuits (other than small claims) for Amounts up to $25,000.00

- All Real Estate Matters Involving Rent and Land Contract Disputes.

A chief judge presides over the Court and oversees 30 judges and six magistrates.
A Court Administrator oversees all of the operations of the Court and approximately
500 staff.

--------

Source: http://www.36thdistrictcourt.org

Friends And Supporters Launch “Justice For Jane”

June 11, 2012 8:25 AM

justice-for-jane-tree-ribbon.jpg

GROSSE POINTE, Mich. (WWJ) – Friends and supporters of Jane Bashara are mounting what they’re calling the “Justice For Jane (Bashara) campaign”.

Organizers say the purpose is to visibly show the Grosse Pointe community’s desire to bring to justice whoever murdered one of its most respected members. They’ve begun selling yard signs, car magnets, wristbands, and purple tree ribbons — with the goal to have as many of them displayed as possible before what would have been Jane Bashara’s 57th birthday — on June 22nd.

---------

Source: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/06/11/friends-and-supporters-launch-justice-for-jane/

DETROIT
June 11, 2012

Competency hearing scheduled for Bashara handyman/murder suspect

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

This afternoon, a judge will decide whether Joseph John Gentz, 48, of Grosse Pointe Park is competent to stand trial in the Jan. 24 murder of Grosse Pointe Park marketing executive and mother Jane Bashara, 56.

A competency hearing for Gentz is slated to take place at 1:30 p.m. June 11 in front of 36th District Court Judge Kenneth King, according to a spokesperson from the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office. Gentz is a handyman who worked for Jane Bashara’s husband, property manager/businessman Bob Bashara. Gentz allegedly told police that he murdered Jane Bashara at Bob Bashara’s behest, although some reports indicate that his account of the murder has varied; in at least one version, Gentz is said to have told police that Bob Bashara ordered him to kill Jane Bashara while holding a gun on Gentz.

Although police named him a “person of interest” early in the case, Bob Bashara had not been charged with anything as of press time.

Gentz was arraigned March 5 on charges of first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder in the case, which has attracted national media attention. His competency hearing was originally scheduled for May 4, but Gentz’s court-appointed attorney, Susan Reed, sought and received an extension to finish needed exams and collect documents for the hearing.

--------

Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/competency-hearing-scheduled-bashara-handymanmurder-suspect

June 11, 2012 at 11:07 am

Bashara handyman's competency review could have 'huge impact' on case

By George Hunter and Christine Ferretti
The Detroit News

Gentz's attorney, Susan Reed, requested the competency evaluation at his March arraignment. Court records say the St. Clair Shores man has a 67 IQ. He was previously diagnosed with bipolar and organic mood disorder.

The outcome of Gentz's competency review will have a "huge impact", if Bashara is charged, former Macomb County Prosecutor Carl Marlinga said.

"The only witness who can tie Bashara to the killing is Mr. Gentz," said Marlinga, who is now a defense attorney.

Marlinga said if Gentz is ruled incompetent, a judge could determine that his testimony is not admissible. Or, Marlinga said, a judge could allow the testimony, but if Bashara is later charged, his attorney, David Griem, could have a strong argument that Gentz is not credible.

"I see this as a headache and a challenge for Prosecutor (Kym) Worthy to proceed with this case," he said. "I wish her all the luck in the world, but this is a very complicating factor now that you have the mental health and stability of your prime witness being questioned."

Competency hinges on whether a person suffering from an emotional or mental illness can tell right from wrong at the time the act was committed, Marlinga said. Whether they suffer from a mental illness is immaterial.

If Gentz is found incompetent, he will continue with evaluations for up to 18 months. At that point, the charges would be dismissed without prejudice. He would then likely be involuntarily committed to a mental health facility through a civil court proceeding and would remain there until competency is regained and the charges could be reauthorized.

Gentz could still be allowed to testify against Bashara, even if he's deemed incompetent to stand trial, said University of Michigan law professor David A. Moran.

"The question of competency to stand trial is an entirely different matter from whether someone can testify in court," Moran said. "They're two entirely different questions."

If Bashara is charged, a judge would likely determine during the trial whether Gentz could testify against him, Moran said. "They wouldn't need a separate hearing; the judge would just make a ruling away from the presence of a jury."

Another question is whether Gentz's confession could be used to convict him if he's deemed mentally unfit to stand trial. The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1986 that a mentally ill person's confession may still be used, as long as the interrogating police officers didn't violate any constitutional rights.

"As long as the police don't do anything wrong and just listen to what a mentally ill person has to say, the statement is still good," Moran said.

Meanwhile, the man who was once known throughout Grosse Pointe Park as "Big Bob" and "The Mayor of Middlesex" said it's been difficult seeing his reputation morph from philanthropist to murder suspect.

Rows of television trucks are no longer parked outside Robert Bashara's house on Middlesex Street. Reporters stopped incessantly knocking on his door months ago. But the 54-year-old father of two said life has been anything but normal since a tow truck driver pulled into a Detroit alley the morning of Jan. 24 and found Jane Bashara's body in the backseat of her SUV.

"It's been better for me," Bashara told reporters in April. "Bob Bashara wants to find out who killed his wife. I've been tried and convicted in the media. This is the land of America, where you're innocent until proven guilty."

Robert Bashara expects to be charged with his wife's murder, Griem said.

"This ordeal has been really tough on his kids," Griem said. "We're still treading water, but the sharks have been increasing in number."

The "sharks," Griem said, are Wayne County prosecutors who are building a case against his client. Griem said in February that he expected imminent charges to be filed against his client, but that hasn't happened yet.

Although Grosse Pointe Park Police Chief David Hiller named Robert Bashara as a "person of interest" in the case just days after the murder, investigators backed off calling Bashara a suspect on the record until a court filing in April by Assistant Prosecutor Lisa Lindsey.

Prosecutors have declined to comment on the case, but the April 13 filing made it clear Bashara is the target of their investigation, with Lindsey referring to him as a "suspect" 12 times.

Police have searched Bashara's home twice.

The lack of charges against Bashara is not an indication of the strength or weakness of the prosecution's case against him, Moran said.

"The fact that there haven't been charges filed doesn't really tell us anything," Moran said. "Sometimes, people aren't arrested for years while an investigation continues."

There may be a strategic reason for holding off on charging Bashara, Moran said.

"When you charge someone, that brings constitutional protections that don't come into play if someone is just the target of an investigation," Moran said...

------------

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20120611/METRO01/206110378#ixzz1xUwcmfPG

MORE at the Source (above)

----

Darkman00 said:
Joe Gentz back in court to determine if he is competent to stand trial in Bashara murder case

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe Gentz will undergo second competency hearing in Jane Bashara murder case

Family handyman charged with murder of Grosse Pointe Park mother, new evaluation results due in late July

Published On: Jun 10 2012 06:17:19 AM EDT Updated On: Jun 11 2012 02:05:58 PM EDT

Joe-Gentz-in-court-jpg.jpg

DETROIT -
A handyman charged with strangling a Grosse Pointe Park woman will undergo another evaluation for his mental health.

Joe Gentz has been in custody for more than three months in the death of marketing executive Jane Bashara, whose body was found inside her Mercedes-Benz in a Detroit neighborhood earlier this year.

Gentz is charged with murder and conspiracy. Results from a competency evaluation was the subject of a court hearing Monday, but a second and independent evaluation was requested by defense attorney Susan Reed - and granted.

A hearing on the results of the second evaluation is scheduled for July 23.

It was noted in court that Gentz had been ruled competent during the first evaluation, which was performed June 5 by a psychologist with the state Department of Health....

-------

More at the Source:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...case/-/1719418/14760120/-/yg07yn/-/index.html
Uncut VIDEO added at the source already mentioned in above posts:

Uncut: Bashara murder suspect to get 2nd competency hearing

---- VIDEO (3:21) ----

"A hearing on the results of the second evaluation is scheduled for July 23." (for now it's also set for 1:30 pm Eastern Time)

Source: http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...case/-/1719418/14760120/-/yg07yn/-/index.html

Joe-Gentz-competency-hearin-jpg.jpg

Joe-Gentz-in-court-sitting-down-jpg.jpg
P.S.
The prosecutor has some hairdo, i tell ya.... :)

Clipboard01.jpg

Lots of comments at this link there ... some people are getting upset, frustrated ... and as many times in the past, skeptical and sarcastic.

-------

GROSSE POINTES

June 11, 2012

Group seeks ‘Justice for Jane’

Vigil planned for murdered Grosse Pointe Park resident Jane Bashara this July

By K. Michelle Moran
C & G Staff Writer

On June 22, Jane Bashara would have celebrated her 57th birthday, likely in the company of family and friends.

But for the marketing executive and proud mother of two grown children, there will be no more birthdays. There will be no more laughter or conversations or new memories. All of that ended when someone brutally strangled Bashara on Jan. 24, leaving her body in her Mercedes SUV in an eastside Detroit alley, just a few miles from her home in Grosse Pointe Park.

A group comprising people who knew and loved Bashara wants to see whoever was responsible for the murder brought to justice, and to that end, they launched the Justice for Jane campaign June 9. They are supplying and distributing yard signs, tree ribbons, wristbands and ribbon magnets with the message “Justice for Jane.”

“We believe Jane would be proud and deeply gratified that her community joined together to avenge the terrible wrong of her senseless death,” organizers wrote in a press release. “The purpose of the campaign is to show in a visible way the Grosse Pointe community’s desire to bring justice to whoever murdered one of its most respected members. It affirms a trust in law enforcements’ efforts on her case and stands behind them.”

Organizers say they don’t want to be publicly identified because, as one organizing committee member said by email, “No one on the organizing committee wants the attention.” They would only communicate via email and wouldn’t provide their names or a phone number. An unidentified spokesperson said there are four organizers on the Justice for Jane committee, all of whom are members of Justice4Jane.forumotion.com. At press time, there were about 113 forum members, who include friends and acquaintances of Jane Bashara, Grosse Pointers and other metro Detroiters who’ve been following the case, and people who follow true crime cases across the country, the spokesperson said by email.

The case has drawn national media attention, possibly due to the reported involvement of Bob Bashara — Jane Bashara’s husband — in the S&M scene and the presence of a mistress who allegedly shared this interest. Lurid tales of Bob Bashara’s supposed activities outside of his marriage have turned the tragedy into tabloid fodder and shed a dark light on the normally safe, quiet bedroom community of Grosse Pointe Park, where people walk or ride bikes to neighborhood stores and restaurants, and multiple generations have raised families.

Details about Bob Bashara’s alleged affair have, in the minds of many, overshadowed Jane Bashara herself, a woman known for her involvement, with her husband, in volunteer efforts for her church and Grosse Pointe schools.

“After almost five months since Jane’s murder, we hope to have a visible show of the community’s desire to bring justice to whoever killed her,” the Justice for Jane spokesperson said. “Jane’s voice has been silenced, and we want to speak for her.”

Although he had not been charged as of press time, Bob Bashara was named a “person of interest” by police early in the investigation. Bob Bashara has denied any involvement in his wife’s murder. A Justice for Jane spokesperson said he isn’t involved in this effort, but is likely aware of the campaign because of the presence of signs on his street.

“We consulted only with Jane’s birth family, and they have given our efforts their blessing,” the spokesperson said in response to another question by email.

The spokesperson said organizers would like people to know that Jane Bashara “was a highly respected member of the community and a warm, lovely person who is dearly missed.”

According to the spokesperson, the sale of signs, wristbands, ribbons and car magnets will be used to pay for a vigil this summer for Bashara. At press time, they said scheduling conflicts and a lack of funds at the moment led them to postpone the vigil from her birthday June 22 to July; an exact date and location hadn’t been set as of press time. Any funds remaining after vigil expenses such as venue rental, printing and audiovisual programming would be donated to one of Bashara’s favorite charities, the spokesperson said. Yard signs are $15 each, and tree ribbons, magnets and wristbands are $5 apiece.

At press time, a spokesperson said 20 signs had already been placed, and 46 signs, 14 tree ribbons, 52 wristbands and 23 ribbon car magnets had been ordered or purchased.

One of the signs — located at a house across the street from the Bashara family home on Middlesex — was reported stolen the night of June 9, the spokesperson said. A police report has since been filed, and the spokesperson said the single sign was replaced with two signs.

“If they are stolen, they, too, will be replaced as many times as necessary,” the spokesperson said by email.

To purchase a sign or other reminder items, send an email to Justice4Jane@yahoo.com. For more information, visit www.justice4jane.forumotion.com

--------

Source: http://www.candgnews.com/news/group-seeks-‘justice-jane’

Handyman Gentz found competent to stand trial in Bashara slaying, but attorney seeks private opinion

3:01 PM, June 11, 2012

bilde

Joseph Gentz, left, appears with defense attorney William Winters III for a competency hearing at 36th District Court in Detroit, Mich., Monday, June 11, 2012. The hearing is moved to July 23rd so that an independent evaluation can be made. / KATHLEEN GALLIGAN/Detroit Free Press

--------

Read at the Source: http://www.freep.com/article/20120611/NEWS02/120611029/Joe-Gentz-Jane-Bashara-Robert-Bashara

P.S.
Looks like Joe Gentz now added another attorney, 2nd attorney ... defense attorney William Winters III

Joe Gentz Found Competent to Stand Trial in Jane Bashara Murder Case

The handyman charged in the January strangulation death of Grosse Pointe Park resident Jane E. Bashara will undergo a second competency evaluation by an independent doctor at the request of his attorney.

By Sara Eaton Martin, the author 3:08 pm

a3c614feff48dd248ec6c7b0bfa37e81

86c67c1a03cb5b45e130e65925d42f04

The handyman who worked for Bob Bashara has been found competent to stand trial in the murder and conspiracy charges related to the strangulation death of Jane E. Bashara—a beloved member of the Grosse Pointe Park community, mother and avid volunteer.

Wayne County Deputy Prosecutor Lisa Lindsey announced the results of the evaluation Monday in 36th District Court during a brief hearing before Chief Judge Kenneth J. King...

His court-appointed attorney, Susan Reed, requested Monday that Gentz undergo a second competency evaluation by an independent doctor. She told the judge she had a doctor in mind but declined to identify the person until after the court order is signed.

The attorneys did not go into detail about the results of the first competency evaluation, but Lindsey said the results show he understands the charges against him as well his environment and the case.

Lindsey told the judge she was fine with Gentz being evaluated a second time. She explained to the judge that Gentz's attorney—Reed—is more comfortable with having the second evaluation before entering into any plea negotiations.

Both attorneys asked the judge to adjourn the competency hearing until after the second evaluation can be completed. King agreed and set a new competency hearing for July 23.

Reed said after Monday's hearing that she wants the second evaluation to make sure her client is indeed competent to stand trial. She said there are "issues there" prompting her request. She declined to provide more detail...

His appearance in court Monday came two days after a group calling itself Justice 4 Jane launched its public campaign to bring closure to the case. The individual members of the group do not want to reveal their specific identities so the emphasis is on solving Jane Bashara's homicide, according to a press release sent to media.

Those involved are friends, community members of the Pointes and metro Detroit, and victim advocates throughout the country. The campaign includes the sale of yard signs, ribbon-car magnets, wristbands and tree ribbons, with proceeds to benefit Jane Bashara's favorite charities.

The yard signs have already started popping up in and around the Pointes, including on Middlesex where she and her husband Bob lived. Bob Bashara, according to the press release, is not involved but her birth family has given their approval of the campaign...

For more information on the Justice 4 Jane campaign, visit the website: http://justice4jane.forumotion.com/ or email justice4jane@yahoo.com

--------

More at the Source: http://grossepointe.patch.com/articles/gentz-found-competent-in-bashara-case

... including the VIDEO of Gentz' attorney Susan Read speaking ...

P.S.
Check out poster's comment at the Source...

2nd Competency Exam Ordered For Murder Suspect Joe Gentz

June 11, 2012 3:55 PM

DETROIT (WWJ/AP) – A handyman charged with strangling a Grosse Pointe Park woman has been found mentally competent but will undergo a second test.

A Detroit judge approved the request Tuesday by Joseph Gentz’ defense attorney Susan Reed. “I do believe that there are issues there that the doctors found there, and I just want them explored,” she said.

Gentz, who is charged with murder and conspiracy in Jane Bashara’s death, did not speak at Monday’s hearing.

Court documents indicate that Gentz has an IQ of 67. An average IQ is around 100.

Reed indicated she wants to make sure Gentz is competent before negotiating a plea deal with prosecutors. If a deal is reached, Gentz’s testimony could be used against an as yet unnamed co-conspirator, whom is believed to be Jane’s husband Bob Bashara...

----------

More at the Source: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/06/11/2nd-competency-exam-ordered-for-murder-suspect-joe-gentz/

Gentz to face second competency exam

By Mitch Hotts
mitch.hotts@macombdaily.com
Posted: 06/12/12 12:01 am
Updated: 06/12/12 12:27 am

The handyman charged in the slaying of Grosse Pointe Park resident Jane Bashara has been found competent to stand trial, but his defense attorney on Monday asked for a second mental health evaluation as a plea bargain with Wayne County prosecutors is under discussion.

The request for an independent competency exam for Joe Gentz was made Monday by his attorney Susan Reed in Detroit’s 36th District Court where Gentz is charged with first-degree murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

“I want to be very sure Mr. Gentz is competent before we proceed with any negotiations,” Reed said outside of court.

Dressed in a tan suit, Gentz, 48, rubbed his hands handcuffed in front of him together as he was led into the courtroom by security officers. He seemed to close his eyes and take a deep breath as the charges were read in court.

Dave Griem, the attorney for Bob Bashara, could not be reached for comment Monday but in the past had predicted Gentz would be found competent.

Also Monday, Reed downplayed reports of Gentz having several outbursts in the Dickerson Detention Facility in Hamtramck where he is being held.

Gentz is not part of the general population in the jail, she added. “I don’t know if I would classify it as an outburst,” she said. “I don’t feel there was anything life threatening. Someone at the jail has been leaking this information to the press.”

A spokesman for Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon could not comment on the allegation because it centers on Gentz’s private medical information. But law enforcement officials privately said there have been “numerous” occasions where prison staff had to intervene due to Gentz’s outbursts. No staff members have been injured, they added.

Some law enforcers question whether the incidents were being “contrived” by Gentz as proof of his mood disorders that could be used to show he is mentally incompetent....

-------

More at the Source: http://www.macombdaily.com/article/...-face-second-competency-exam&pager=full_story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop