MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was DNA evidence found. As you can assume, I can not say much more than that.

If JT was a strong suspect LE would have already obtained his DNA either voluntarily or through other means(discarded cigarettes, soda cans, etc) to either implicate him or exonerate him.

I don't believe there were any public reports as to evidence found.

I don't know if this can be answered, but does the family have a death certificate? If so, what does it say for cause of death? Strangulation due to asphyxia, or unknown, or something else?

As for the first detective, if memory serves me correctly, there were at least three or four other murders in Ypsilanti area about that same time that he was involved with. I believe those others were all solved and trials have been held. I just cannot fault him for this case still being unsolved. There is so much that we do not know. I do believe it was likely just the personality of that detective to be particularly kind and somewhat open to victim families, but not likely he would share anything that would harm an investigation. Perhaps having a "tougher" detective on the case now is a good thing. Just saying.... for no particular reason.

It's possible K & JT did not hear the door the day police came to collect the computer however what took so long for them to finally hand it over? Did police walk away from the home that day and never call again or ask them to turn in the laptop? Maybe they didn't hear the door that particular day but why then did it take a year and a half to finally cooperate in handing over the computer? And only then because police had a search warrant? Am I understanding this correctly?

No, they heard the door and knew exactly who was out there. They just thought that they would hide as if it was a bill collector or something like that. My daughter has even admitted she knew the police were at the door. The police did not just knock once and go away! Oh wait, this is their way of fully cooperating with the investigators.

There was DNA evidence found. As you can assume, I can not say much more than that.

DNA evidence was found??? That's the first time I've seen that on this discussion. I do remember KT saying that JT gave a DNA sample very early in the investigation. So if the DNA "matched" LE may need more evidence to actually put JT at the scene of the crime, thus until that happens he became a POI. JMO
I wonder what everyone else thinks about this?

Personally, I don't think there is public knowledge of any evidence being found, at least none we have heard or read about. It is possible LE took items for further testing, but that does not necessarily mean it is evidence that will help solve the crime. Unless we know what type of "evidence" we are discussing, I can't logically conclude it is in possession of LE.

What could this evidence be? Blood, hair from a hairbrush, a glass for fingerprints, cigarettes butts, a computer, cell phone, clothing? It could be almost anything, or nothing.

What actually consists of DNA evidence? Here is one explanation. If DNA evidence came from the apartment, it seem so retry limited as to what it was. What bodily fluids or cells were found/taken?

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/what-is-dna-evidence.html

A sufficient amount of DNA may be found in virtually any type of biological evidence. For violent crimes, such evidence typically comes from blood or other bodily fluids. Hair and skin cells left at the crime scene also may provide investigators with enough DNA for testing purposes. - See more at: http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-procedure/what-is-dna-evidence.html#sthash.LtxPJ2Fh.dpuf

--
There is a chart on this page that lists some items from which DNA can be taken, and what type. Pretty simple explanation on DNA, too.
http://www.nij.gov/topics/forensics/evidence/dna/basics/pages/identifying-to-transporting.aspx

No, they heard the door and knew exactly who was out there. They just thought that they would hide as if it was a bill collector or something like that. My daughter has even admitted she knew the police were at the door. The police did not just knock once and go away! Oh wait, this is their way of fully cooperating with the investigators.

My point is that if she is telling the truth about that particular day (not that I believe her) why wasn't the computer turned in shortly after if it could possibly help with the investigation? Her reason for not answering the door that day certainly doesn't explain why she refused to cooperate over the next year and a half in providing LE with that computer.

Where was JT on the 9th and 10th - JT did not work on the 9th as it was a Sunday - He was home when KT arrived home from work in the afternoon between 4 or 5 pm. That day Jennifer and minor daughter had gone up to Julia's work to have lunch with Julia and so Julia could show them what she wanted for Christmas.

He left work on the 10th at around 7 am to head to work and arrived home after he picked up young daughter from school around 345.

He also at the very beginning turned over all of his work calendars - and then when asked - turned over another copy of these in December of 2014.

Where was JT on the 9th and 10th - JT did not work on the 9th as it was a Sunday - He was home when KT arrived home from work in the afternoon between 4 or 5 pm. That day Jennifer and minor daughter had gone up to Julia's work to have lunch with Julia and so Julia could show them what she wanted for Christmas.

He left work on the 10th at around 7 am to head to work and arrived home after he picked up young daughter from school around 345.

He also at the very beginning turned over all of his work calendars - and then when asked - turned over another copy of these in December of 2014.

So my biggest question is : Will KT and Jennifer swear in a statement that they have no doubt that JT was home all night on Sunday night?
And if so, why not go to LE and give them their statements so they can be documented and signed by them?

O.K. MiMommy, you have kept your word and provided this info, so I am going to keep mine. Until (and if) such time that LE provides any additional info on the current POI, I am moving on to explore other theories exclusively. JT needs to work with LE on his current charge, and removing himself from the POI list in his stepdaughters case. I don't see any additional benefit in giving that any more focus unless there is a development.

I think it is wonderful you are encouraging Kim & Jennifer to join us, and I know they will be treated with respect and courtesy, and that we can focus on other potential POI theories. So let me start that off now.

It seems as if there would be three natural areas of exploration; those she interacted with in Ypsilanti, those in Monroe, and we shouldn't overlook any intersection points with Chelsea Bruck, a family friend and murder victim herself. You need to consider hundreds of data points, even what appears to be the most mundane, and start examining for patterns and "connecting the dots".

FORAGER: This is where you absolutely excel. Can you make some suggestions for MiMommy to start developing a chart? I am thinking timelines, cast of characters, activities, geo-location, major milestones....basically, the works. This type of "project management heat map" can really obviate some "aha's". Again, the smallest or most mundane of activities might end up being significant, so put it all down MiMommy. Thank you Forager for any suggestions you might have on this.

LE has most likely already developed their own professional version of this, but it doesn't hurt for us amateurs to see if we can uncover a nugget or two.

So, to reiterate, and for explanations sake, everything I post here henceforth will focus on other theories beyond the current POI. Thank you to MiMommy for keeping her end of the bargain.

DNA evidence was found??? That's the first time I've seen that on this discussion. I do remember KT saying that JT gave a DNA sample very early in the investigation. So if the DNA "matched" LE may need more evidence to actually put JT at the scene of the crime, thus until that happens he became a POI. JMO
I did not know that DNA evidence was found, but it does not surprise me. Mimommy mentioned before that a roommate was asked for fingerprints and DNA recently. That would be pointless if they didn't have finger prints and/or DNA evidence at the crime scene to compare it to.

To MiMommy and Trojan, this subject about the DNA should not be discussed in here. It has not been public knowledge and again, is this 1st., 2nd. 3rd hand knowledge. And why would any one other then LE any time during this investigation need to know this, especially a fairly new friend to the Turnquist family. IMO

To MiMommy and Trojan, this subject about the DNA should not be discussed in here. It has not been public knowledge and again, is this 1st., 2nd. 3rd hand knowledge. And why would any one other then LE any time during this investigation need to know this, especially a fairly new friend to the Turnquist family. IMO

I think your abundance of caution is prudent 4ist. Good call out.

I did not know that DNA evidence was found, but it does not surprise me. Mimommy mentioned before that a roommate was asked for fingerprints and DNA recently. That would be pointless if they didn't have finger prints and/or DNA evidence at the crime scene to compare it to.

OK, and thank you for this. I can understand having DNA evidence for Julia and also to compare to whoever was known to be in the apartment, and if none match they will want to find out who it does belong to. I was thinking more along the lines of having known DNA of a possible perpetrator. But now I realize that would not necessarily be the case.

Again, thanks squirrel.

Per TOS, I do believe you may be right. Without a link or tangible proof of this, we cannot be sure it is true. Shall I ask a mod if it is OK?

I'm not as familiar with this case as you folks, so am leaving the discussion as is until a Mod/Admin more familiar with the case can make a call on the info in question. Please carry on with discussion excluding that particular info at this time until we can get a final answer.

Thanks.

Hmmmm ... who is sillybilly? A new mod? I will have to find the thread on who is a mod now. Anyway .... thank you, sillybilly, for fixing the broken quotes!

Will check back tomorrow. Have a good night, all.

I'm not as familiar with this case as you folks, so am leaving the discussion as is until a Mod/Admin more familiar with the case can make a call on the info in question. Please carry on with discussion excluding that particular info at this time until we can get a final answer.

Thanks.

Hello there, sillybilly! Nice to finally meet you. Thanks for popping in and keeping us calm here. This is a very tough case, with a lot of emotions.
(you posted at the same time I was writing my own post. :giggle:)

Hmmmm ... who is sillybilly? A new mod? I will have to find the thread on who is a mod now. Anyway .... thank you, sillybilly, for fixing the broken quotes!

Will check back tomorrow. Have a good night, all.

Silly Billy is a new mod, but not new to WS, and an EXCELLENT sleuther! I have had the pleasure of seeing him in action on other threads. We are very lucky to have him mod'ing us. : )

It seems to me that the information posted by Mimommy would be known to the closest family members to Julia. Being a verified as a close friend of Julia's immediate family, it seems plausible to me that Mimommy could know this information. I thought the whole point of doing the verification is to prevent people from posting "facts" that they cannot possibly know. I think it is fair though to ask her exactly how she obtained this information. I have asked other verified insiders in this thread about how they obtained certain information in cases where it seemed unlikely to me that they obtained this information directly from LE. But most of the time I did not get any answers to my inquiries. But I leave it now to the moderators to sort this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noonoo91