GUILTY MI - Mariha Smith, 5, Detroit, 24 July 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If you know the man in the surveillance photos or video (you can see that footage by watching the second video above), you are asked to call Detroit Police.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...se-where-girl-body-found-burned-20110728-wpms

I have this totally wrong. I thought the video was regarding the man in the blue shirt..I thought he was the mystery dude. It is the guy in the shorts?

The second video at the link focuses on the guy with the white shirt and black shorts so I think he is the mystery dude in question...

The neighborhood where Mariha lived (and, sadly, died) is about five miles from my childhood home in Detroit (1957-1971). I asked DH at dinner this evening if we could drive there sometime this weekend to place flowers at the memorial site where precious Mariha's remains were found. I will include the good people here at Websleuths in my thoughts and prayers for this beautiful little girl who, like others whose cases we follow, is gone too soon.

Please don't judge Mariha's mother, family members, and friends of the family too harshly. The people of Detroit have experienced hard times in recent years due to high unemployment, decreasing population, schools closing, increasing crime, desperate people who are truly in despair. Detroit may not be the great city that it was when I was growing up, but I have never not been proud to say that I'm a Motown Girl!

It is a shame what happened to Detroit. My aunt raised her kids in Detroit. She now lives in a beautiful suburb outside the city limits.
She is appalled that Whole Foods is moving in to the city, although she could certainly afford to shop at Whole Foods.

"the Whole Foods project is expected to qualify for up to $4.7 million in state and city tax credits."

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2011/07/detroit_spends_to_get_whole_fo.html

How about a Save A Lot? Other groceries have opened there at their own expense. Whole Foods is an expensive grocery. My son and his wife in CA make over $200,000 between them and they don't shop at Whole Foods.

I think that $4.7 mil would be better used to repair some of the city's crumbling neighborhoods and help fight crime.

RIP little Mariha.
You are safe now.

It is a shame what happened to Detroit. My aunt raised her kids in Detroit. She now lives in a beautiful suburb outside the city limits.
She is appalled that Whole Foods is moving in to the city, although she could certainly afford to shop at Whole Foods.

"the Whole Foods project is expected to qualify for up to $4.7 million in state and city tax credits."

How about a Save A Lot? Other groceries have opened there at their own expense. Whole Foods is an expensive grocery. My son and his wife in CA make over $200,000 between them and they don't shop at Whole Foods.

I think that $4.7 mil would be better used to repair some of the city's crumbling neighborhoods and help fight crime.

RIP little Mariha.
You are safe now.

Given its location near the Detroit Medical Center and the campus of Wayne State, I think the Whole Foods might be successful. When we exit I-75 at Mack to go to the Opera House, we pass some very nice new condos, and there is a shopping center with a grocery store (might be Kroger), CVS, and some other shops. The Max Fisher complex (DSO) and several upscale Detroit eateries are also nearby. Whole Foods in that location will likely draw more than city residents, and that will be a good thing for Detroit.

There are two WFs that are within driving distance from my home in the northern 'burbs, and I stop there occasionally if I happen to be in the area. There are so many choices, though, and I prefer the international market that is just a few minutes away. Bon Appetit!

This guy is buying gasoline to burn a beautiful little girl and he is so calm and collected. I tried getting more still shots from the surveillance but still not very clear...

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...se-where-girl-body-found-burned-20110728-wpms

gasguy4.png

gasguy.png

gasguy2.png

gasguy3.png

This individual has a fairly distinctive posture and gait. Someone knows who he is...

This individual has a fairly distinctive posture and gait. Someone knows who he is...

I won't jump to any conclusions about the guy in the surveillance video being the perp, but in the second frame, it appears that he is looking back - maybe at the female customer (or employee). I wonder if he was concerned that she might have recognized him? Hopefully, she has been identified and interviewed about who she saw or knew in the store that morning.

My husband also grew up in Detroit. His family moved to St Clair Shores while he was in the Navy around 1970. They used to live on Marlboro, right off of Chalmers (not sure of spellings). We used to drive through the old neighborhood when we visited his parents, three sisters and their families, but now that particular neighborhood is completely gone. I wish the old abandonned homes were all destroyed and it would help, perhaps, with the crimes around the area where little Miraha lived. I am heartbroken just thinking the horror this baby experienced at the hands of some monster(s).

Family Of Murdered 5 Year Old Devastated, Want Justice (Video)

Mariha's mother talks
The reporter says "somebody cut a screen" to kidnap Mariha
He also says he was told all family, friends of the family who were in custody have been released.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/local/family-of-murdered-5-year-old-holds-candlelight-vigil

Family gathered Friday at the scorched home where her body was found.

Desiree Dixon, who said she was in foster care with Mariha's mother
, said family and friends have been searching for the girl all week, hoping the body wasn't hers.

"It hurt," she said. "We didn't want to believe it."

http://www.freep.com/article/201107...ound-burned-Detroit-missing-5-year-old-girl-s

The adults were her sister, Quanita Smith and Quanita’s boyfriend Darnell Cheatham.

Action News has learned a third person might’ve entered the house while Kenosha and the children were sleeping.

One of Kenosha’s young children says he saw three adults,
not including his mother, in the house.

Sources say police are looking for that third person, who is believed to know the Smith family.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/child-found-dead-in-home

Mariha Smith Case Tragic Reminder For Family Of Raven Jeffries

The Mariah Smith case is hitting close to home for the family of Raven Jeffries. The little girl was abducted in southwest Detroit during the summer of 2006, and her body was later found burned in a field.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/new...-tragic-reminder-for-family-of-raven-jeffries

Raven Jeffries Case Thread

I'm watching the 6:00 news on WDIV and heard about a vigil that will be held this evening at 7:00 at the house where Mariha's remains were found. If I had known about this earlier, DH and I could have planned to attend. We haven't had dinner yet, and DH waited until it cooled off a little before cutting the lawn as I type. Please join me in prayer next hour for Mariha's family and friends.

EDIT: misread MsF's post sorry. nevermind :)

I agree with Jen (in TX) it will all come out soon regardless of who it was the took her because IMHO more than one person has info about what happened to her. Hopefully, if it does drag out---somebody will use that info to cut a deal in the future. KWIM?

(Not talking about her family members)

The video hadn't been posted for last night's 11:00 news when I went to bed at midnight, but it's up now:

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/28717613/detail.html

Vigil Held For 5-Year-Old Mariah Smith

DNA Test Confirms Burned Body Is 5-Year-Old Detroit Girl

POSTED: Saturday, July 30, 2011

UPDATED: 10:05 am EDT July 31, 2011

Mariha Trenice Smith

DETROIT -- Family and friends gathered in the 2900 block of Waverly on Saturday night on Detroit's west side for the vigil of 5-year-old Mariah Smith...

there is no question, jmvho, that someone knows who the guy is in the video. Typically the murder of the child would be one of those lines that would cause someone to come forward, even if people were mistrusting of LE.

I would think someone in the family knows who he is then....which means LE already knows I would think ?? Maybe they are looking for him on their own...which means he is probably better off turning himself in.

there is no question, jmvho, that someone knows who the guy is in the video. Typically the murder of the child would be one of those lines that would cause someone to come forward, even if people were mistrusting of LE.

I would think someone in the family knows who he is then....which means LE already knows I would think ?? Maybe they are looking for him on their own...which means he is probably better off turning himself in.

ITA. Every local news channel has shown the video repeatedly since it was released with the phone# for DPD and asking someone to identify the man. I hope this doesn't drag on interminably as we've seen in other cases. Someone knows something. jmo

When you look at the men in the vigil, and the young men cousins/family members/friends who have been seen gathering at the house, and with Konesha during her searches, they all look so similar to that grainy image that it's impossible to tell. I think everyone has clothing similar to that outfit - and you just can make out only the very barest of essentials regarding his appearance - race, approx age (through his movements) and clothing. I think Quanita and her boyfriend know who he is, and I don't know that anyone else does (except the man himself).

RIP sweet Mariha.

From the start, family members were pushing a "revenge" motive. Then, there was the altercation at the vigil. Imo, some family members know more than they are saying, either because they were involved with the disappearance or involved in something that culminated in the act of revenge against them. Some questions swirling around in my head:

1. Where is Mariha's father? Is he local? Is he accounted for? Is he the father of the younger children?

2. Was Mariha specifically targeted? Was there a connection between the perp(s) and Mariha that wasn't there for the other children? Why take the oldest child; the one who could more likely make noise and run? If revenge against a family member was the motive and no sexual intentions were present, wouldn't the oldest be the riskiest?

3. Has Konesha's boyfriend been located? Where is he? Is it verified that he is the brother of Quanita's boyfriend (who was being held)? Was he at the party?

4. How can it be definitively known that there was no type of sexual assault?

5. None of the other children woke up or saw anything and we know mom was passed out. If Mariha knew the perp(s), perhaps she wasn't scared. Otherwise, I'd imagine she would wake up and might struggle, especially if she was truly carried over the couch of her sleeping mother and out a window. That doesn't make sense to me. Once you're in, why not leave through the door?

6. The guy in the gas station video does have a distinctive gait and manner, imo. Also his clothing is easy to identify even in the grainy video. He looks tall. If he is the perp and took Mariha from the home, would he fit through that window? If the family doesn't recognize him and he doesn't know the family or anyone connected to the family, how did he know there would be children in that house? Was he watching? If so, seems much more likely that the abduction was sexually motivated. Why watch a house and nab a child simply to beat and burn her? Imo, this had to be someone who was somehow connected to the family and out for revenge, or someone who (maybe connected to the family and maybe not) targeted Mariha because she was his type.

7. Why take Mariha to the crack pad with a mattress if there was no sexual motive? Whoever took her there must have a connection to that abandoned building with a mattress - doesn't appear the perp(s) would be sneaking around with a healthy 5 year old in the wee hours and just happen upon that building/room. Was Mariha healthy and unhurt (and alive) when she left the house? Or, was this an attempt to make something else look like a drug-related killing? Was it a message to family members or could family members be attempting to cover something that took place in the house?

8. If this was indeed a crack pad, wouldn't late night and early morning be risky - wouldn't that be a probable window for crack heads to wind up there? If so, were there 2 people involved? One looking out while the other killed Mariha and then ran for the gas?

9. Whoever moved Mariha had a car, imo. Wandering through the streets on foot with an unwilling 5 year old (especially if she didn't know the abductor) would be way too risky, imo. Are there any surveillance videos at any point between the party house and the crack pad?

10. Is there really a connection between the gas purchase and the abduction/fire? It seems so, but could be somebody just ran out of gas around the corner and just needed to fill the can to get home. Might be pretty common in the area, IDK. The timing seems too coincidental and connected to me, but I look forward to more details of the arson report.

11. Are the child witness's accounts reliable? Has he/she been influenced by adults' accounts of who was at the party? If his/her account that Quanita, her boyfriend, and a third male were at the house presumably after others left and Konesha passed out, I'd guess the child would be able to name an uncle, cousin, Mariha's dad, Konesha's boyfriend...

So many more pieces missing; I'll just stop here. Anxiously awaiting some LE updates...

RIP sweet Mariha.

From the start, family members were pushing a "revenge" motive. Then, there was the altercation at the vigil. Imo, some family members know more than they are saying, either because they were involved with the disappearance or involved in something that culminated in the act of revenge against them. Some questions swirling around in my head:

1. Where is Mariha's father? Is he local? Is he accounted for? Is he the father of the younger children? ...

Respectfully edited. You've posed many good questions for which there aren't specific answers as of yet.

Local media reports have indicated that Mariha's father "hasn't been in the picture" for some time. I'm not sure that the little girl knew her father, and I don't think he fathered Konesha's other children. jmo

Agreed, JourneyRain. Sweet-faced little girl. I won't forget Mariha's smile. It didn't take but a minute for her to steal my heart. There was no chance for a happy ending. RIP, Mariha. <3

What a sweet little angel. I can't believe there are people who walk among us that would commit such heinous, dispicable horrors on children.

This article says the funeral is Friday:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43965871/ns/local_news-detroit_mi/

The family at the house where Mariha was found.

This video also says the funeral is Friday
... it also sounds like they are not using the funeral home that offered their services for free.
This says Peace Funeral Home.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2011/07/community_mourns_death_of_5-ye.html

When he last saw the little girl, she was happy. She was playing with his children in the water of a fire hydrant, opened to help kids stay cool on a hot summer day.

“She was a real, real beautiful little girl,” said Gibbs. “She was always talking about how she wanted to be a singer someday.”

Pye’s family owns the O.H. Pye, III Funeral Home on Plymouth Road in Detroit. He called Action News after seeing a story about Mariah on WXYZ. He wanted to offer to help give Mariah a proper goodbye.

“This is very tragic. We just were moved to action to come and offer our services for free.”

Konesha Smith, the mother of little Mariah, says she is touched by the outpouring of support. She says she needs to talk to family members before accepting the generous offer. It brings her relief.

...They searched the child’s home’s backyard, as well as an abandoned home next door for evidence.

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/viewer...-mariha-smith-a-fitting-funeral#ixzz1Tl6TxIPx

R.I.P Beautiful Angel!
So sad to hear this news but locals here predicted it. As it was pointed out, no other children were missing at this time that matched and the timing and area was just too close. I truly hope this case will stay in the news until this beautiful baby gets justice!
Also, I hope this is a wake up call to all parents. We have to protect our babies at ALL times and not leave it up to others. YOU ARE THE PARENT! I dont care if you live in a home with 50 relatives, you care for your own. And mothers need to stop having babies and dealing with man after man and having all of these different men around your children. I know times are hard but birth control is easy to come by and , last I checked, morals and values are free!

Not to put down this mother or single her out but why be unemploed, keep having kids out of wedlock with men who arent in the picture(as if being in the picture is an option), live in a tiny overpacked house surrounded by drugs and then get drunk while you have four kids under five in your care and leave all your responsibilities in the wind.
Im disgusted.
THIS BABY DESERVED MORE!
My husband and I were born and raised in detroit and watched the city sink.
We struggled as a young couple and had plenty of cards stacked against us but we worked hard and put off havi.g ourkid til we could afford to have them. When our neighborhood went down and our childs bedroom window was randomly shot out, that was it. We pay more to live in a safer suburb and we cut back to do it while all our friends in detroit drive nice cars, we drive our 15 yr old van but oir faughter is much safer!

Sorry for the spelling, long nails on droid.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meekdoggydogg
Back