MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
How complicated could this crime be? Parts of it has to be found on cctv around the neighborhood and where the good doctor's vehicle was abandoned as if Devon had driven it there himself.

This killing was not an accident; it was intentional. He suffered from torture. Somehow, Devon was duped. Perhaps someone he felt he could otherwise trust proved not to be such good friend, after all.

If not for the secreted body, the killer could not expect, nor rely upon, it to be long before the owner would be discovered on the 3rd floor of his own home.

The list of those who would do this to Devon is not long; maybe nonexistent - or next to nonexistent. Dr. Hoover was assassinated while in the safety of his cocoon aka museum. Perhaps the person was so very angry they could no longer control their actions but the gun proves premeditation and not a crime of passion.

Consequently, the body was hidden. Maybe the killer drove the Dr's vehicle to a nearby neighborhood, after busting thru the iron gate, where it was found by the homeless or the street's residents.

If the vehicle was abandoned with the keys inside, dude walking by could have felt it was his lucky day. Nice ride, it's got fuel, let's go. Oops. Gets pulled over on an unrelated warrant to the present situ. Where is Devon's phone and where are his phone records? His phone should tell how many steps he walked the last 12 hours of life.

Crime of passion is a violent crime, especially homicide, in which the perpetrator commits the act against someone because of sudden strong impulse such as anger or jealousy rather than as a premeditated crime.

How complicated could this crime be? Parts of it has to be found on cctv around the neighborhood and where the good doctor's vehicle was abandoned as if Devon had driven it there himself.

This killing was not an accident; it was intentional. He suffered from torture. Somehow, Devon was duped. Perhaps someone he felt he could otherwise trust proved not to be such good friend, after all.

If not for the secreted body, the killer could not expect, nor rely upon, it to be long before the owner would be discovered on the 3rd floor of his own home.

The list of those who would do this to Devon is not long; maybe nonexistent - or next to nonexistent. Dr. Hoover was assassinated while in the safety of his cocoon aka museum. Perhaps the person was so very angry they could no longer control their actions but the gun proves premeditation and not a crime of passion.

Consequently, the body was hidden. Maybe the killer drove the Dr's vehicle to a nearby neighborhood, after busting thru the iron gate, where it was found by the homeless or the street's residents.

If the vehicle was abandoned with the keys inside, dude walking by could have felt it was his lucky day. Nice ride, it's got fuel, let's go. Oops. Gets pulled over on an unrelated warrant to the present situ. Where is Devon's phone and where are his phone records? His phone should tell how many steps he walked the last 12 hours of life.

The way I see it, murder is complicated- there are so many possibilities-- yes it was intentional and it seems he was tortured, but trying to determine who actually committed the crime is not necessarily easy to do. They look at family, friends, lovers, ex-lovers, acquaintances, strangers, colleagues, patients, ex-patients, family of a patient, hook-ups-----one would think there would be lots of CCTV cameras in that neighborhood- did he have CCTV? The police are being pretty tight-lipped on this case-- I hope they know more than they are talking about (which isn't much).

Thanks for your persistance in following this one, Dee Dee. I can feel your pain in following, but the absense of any pertinent information is deafening for us all.

Do not be deceived or confused. The Detroit Police pleads for our help! Police are working on this case. It's their job. Not once, have I read a snippet of news when the police did not seek our help and request to send the number - to call them with any tip. Please. The Detroit Police urges the public with tips to call 800-773-2587

I cannot locate ONE news article past May 12th when the doctor's partial autopsy was released on May 10 where DPD does not seek the public's assistance. Here's the list of news reports on Dr Hoover. Show me one past MAY 12.

Dr Hoover, Murder, Detroit, May 14 - Bing News

MAY 2
On Monday, the Detroit Police Department renewed its call for helpful tips, as members of the public cry out for justice in the case.

'Following prosecutorial review,' person of interest in murder of Detroit neurosurgeon released from custody

MAY 9
Police are offering a $1,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest in the case.

MAY 10
"The abrasions indicate that he was face-down with his left lower face against a firm surface for at least one of the gunshot wounds, and that his body was dragged in the prone position after his death."

Detroit Police are asking tipsters to pass along information anonymously at http://detroitrewards.tv, and to include the case number, 2304230294. Tips may also be phoned in to Crime Stoppers of Michigan at (800) SPEAK-UP (800-773-2587).

Detroit neurosurgeon shot twice in the head from behind, autopsy finds

Check out the Detroit Police Dept's pinned tweet:

https://twitter.com/detroitpolice

Please. They are pleading with the public - to anyone. I know the reward is not much money but this single man deserves justice if you know anything that could help:

$1000 Reward for Homicide Detectives continue to investigate all leads in the homicide of Dr. Devon Hoover. We're asking anyone with information to send an anonymous tip to http://detroitrewards.tv and include case #: 2304230294 #DetroitRewardsTV
#OneDetroit

MAY 9 - pinned tweet by Detroit Police News

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Do not be deceived or confused. The Detroit Police pleads for our help! Police are working on this case. It's their job. Not once, have I read a snippet of news when the police did not seek our help and request to send the number - to call them with any tip. Please. The Detroit Police urges the public with tips to call 800-773-2587

I cannot locate ONE news article past May 12th when the doctor's partial autopsy was released on May 10 where DPD does not seek the public's assistance. Here's the list of news reports on Dr Hoover. Show me one past MAY 12.

Dr Hoover, Murder, Detroit, May 14 - Bing News

MAY 2
On Monday, the Detroit Police Department renewed its call for helpful tips, as members of the public cry out for justice in the case.

'Following prosecutorial review,' person of interest in murder of Detroit neurosurgeon released from custody

MAY 9
Police are offering a $1,000 reward for any information that leads to an arrest in the case.

MAY 10
"The abrasions indicate that he was face-down with his left lower face against a firm surface for at least one of the gunshot wounds, and that his body was dragged in the prone position after his death."

Detroit Police are asking tipsters to pass along information anonymously at http://detroitrewards.tv, and to include the case number, 2304230294. Tips may also be phoned in to Crime Stoppers of Michigan at (800) SPEAK-UP (800-773-2587).

Detroit neurosurgeon shot twice in the head from behind, autopsy finds

Check out the Detroit Police Dept's pinned tweet:

https://twitter.com/detroitpolice

Please. They are pleading with the public - to anyone. I know the reward is not much money but this single man deserves justice if you know anything that could help:

$1000 Reward for Homicide Detectives continue to investigate all leads in the homicide of Dr. Devon Hoover. We're asking anyone with information to send an anonymous tip to http://detroitrewards.tv and include case #: 2304230294 #DetroitRewardsTV
#OneDetroit

MAY 9 - pinned tweet by Detroit Police News

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”

Thanks for posting this wealth of information: I have to say I am shocked that no one has stepped up to offer more than a puny 1000.00 reward. That is clearly not enough to get anyone to talk! Praying for resolution sooner than later

Thanks for posting this wealth of information: I have to say I am shocked that no one has stepped up to offer more than a puny 1000.00 reward. That is clearly not enough to get anyone to talk! Praying for resolution sooner than later
The miniscule reward amount is puzzling for me, too. Dr. Hoover was a staff physician at Ascension St. John Hospital Detroit and Board of Directors member of Detroit Opera (Board of Directors - Detroit Opera). Why have these profitable entities not contributed to the reward fund to find Dr. Hoover's killer? JMO

The miniscule reward amount is puzzling for me, too. Dr. Hoover was a staff physician at Ascension St. John Hospital Detroit and Board of Directors member of Detroit Opera (Board of Directors - Detroit Opera). Why have these profitable entities not contributed to the reward fund to find Dr. Hoover's killer? JMO
That is a very good question!

"[LE released the POI].. Following Prosecutorial Review."

IMO, this shows that LE believes that this Person of Interest is not just aware of what transpired, but likely involved. They just didn't have enough evidence to pursue criminal charges.

Further, I believe it likely that the individual may have immediately "lawyered up" while in custody, proving difficult to corroborate what evidence led LE to this POI.

Why hide the body?
I agree, though I would reframe it as, why hide the body so ineffectually, inside the house?

In the vast majority of murders, either the body is left basically where the person died (no attempted coverup), or the remains are removed from the house, into a car and taken somewhere else (attempt to cover up)

I think this person's 'plan', was to hide the body and make the car disappear, so that police would jump to the conclusion that the Dr. wasn't home and they'd go looking somewhere else.

However, they apparently left clues that 'something wasn't right', and the police did a thorough search. And anyway, if someone is missing police will search the home, as the best source for clues of where they might be.

I would say this murderer either wasn't very bright, or panicked. Possibly they weren't willing to risk driving around with a body in a vehicle and perhaps had no idea of where else to take it, plus fear of CTV cameras.

So although the gun is evidence of premeditation, the way the body was hidden indicates, to me, the person didn't think it through.

JMO

There was a report on the Hoover case at the top of the WDIV 6:00PM newscast. Video is not available yet, so I will paraphrase what was said. Here's the link for video when it becomes available: ClickOnDetroit | WDIV Local 4

LE continues to investigate. Prosecutor wants additional evidence. Gun used in the shooting has not been located. Original POI, who was released from jail, is still considered a person of interest in the case.

ETA: Here's the 6:00PM report.
...According to sources, police have collected evidence including text messages, video from inside the home, and DNA found inside the home.

Those same sources said the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has asked Detroit police to gather more evidence in the case. They said the key piece of evidence prosecutors are waiting for investigators to find is the gun used to kill Hoover...

Detroit police have only said that the case remains under investigation. Sources said the person of interest who was questioned is the only suspect in Hoover’s murder...

Last edited:
There was a report on the Hoover case at the top of the WDIV 6:00PM newscast. Video is not available yet, so I will paraphrase what was said. Here's the link for video when it becomes available: ClickOnDetroit | WDIV Local 4

LE continues to investigate. Prosecutor wants additional evidence. Gun used in the shooting has not been located. Original POI, who was released from jail, is still considered a person of interest in the case.

ETA: Here's the 6:00PM report.
...According to sources, police have collected evidence including text messages, video from inside the home, and DNA found inside the home.

Those same sources said the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office has asked Detroit police to gather more evidence in the case. They said the key piece of evidence prosecutors are waiting for investigators to find is the gun used to kill Hoover...

Detroit police have only said that the case remains under investigation. Sources said the person of interest who was questioned is the only suspect in Hoover’s murder...
Thanks for this update, sounds like a lot is going on. Also sounds like the DNA alone isn't enough evidence, maybe the POI had been to the house before, or driven in the car, or interacted with Dr. Hoover. Good that they have texts that appear to be relevant to the crime. If they never find the gun, perhaps the bullets can lead them somewhere. Or other evidence, as the prosecutor is requesting.

I agree, though I would reframe it as, why hide the body so ineffectually, inside the house?

In the vast majority of murders, either the body is left basically where the person died (no attempted coverup), or the remains are removed from the house, into a car and taken somewhere else (attempt to cover up)

I think this person's 'plan', was to hide the body and make the car disappear, so that police would jump to the conclusion that the Dr. wasn't home and they'd go looking somp

Thanks for this update, sounds like a lot is going on. Also sounds like the DNA alone isn't enough evidence, maybe the POI had been to the house before, or driven in the car, or interacted with Dr. Hoover. Good that they have texts that appear to be relevant to the crime. If they never find the gun, perhaps the bullets can lead them somewhere. Or other evidence, as the prosecutor is requesting.
It just seems like if they LE has texts, video surveillance and DNA, that should be enough. I don’t understand why they have to have the murder weapon for an arrest. The murder weapon in the BK Idaho murders was never found and BK is in jail.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightningwill
Back