MI - Nevaeh Buchanan, 5, Monroe, 24 May 2009 - Body found - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I answered my own question...lol looks like it is being speculated because of no confirmation...I thought I had read somewhere maybe it was an "Easter" interview where he said "because of the Kmart reciepts that LE asked if he followed JB and Navaeh to Kmart" ...now I have to go back and look :doh: it's driving me crazy :crazy:

Easter does state that they questioned him because he was at Kmart that afternoon. There is no verification if they know for a fact that JB and N were there and have them on video, or if this line of questioning was based on JBs statement. I am guessing they were there though. In JBs radio interview when she explains the time lapse between knowing she is gone and calling the police she says she walked to the store she had been at and back and then called.

snipped out of the article...http://www.freep.com/article/200906...nifer+Buchanan+denies+killing+daughter+Nevaeh

"Mom, I'm going upstairs to Austin's house
to play a game," Buchanan remembers her daughter saying.

what 5 yo tells their parent where
they are going?? I'd say this was normal for Nevaeh
as no one really cared where she was or where she went..

It was about 6:30 p.m. on May 24,
the day before Memorial Day. Nevaeh walked out, the
door shut and that was the last time Buchanan says
she saw her daughter.

what happened to the 3:30 pm trip
to the store???

"I trusted her enough for her to
actually go," Buchanan told the Free Press last
week

What does trusting a 5 yo have to do with
this?? It's called get up off your azz and WATCH what your child is doing/going...

Buchanan didn't get up from the couch
to make sure her daughter made it safely up the stairs.

This pretty much sums up this "mother"
for me (and I use the term mother loosely) Lazy, lazy
self indulgent, uncaring...

About 20 minutes later, a girl Buchanan described as a tattletale knocked on the door.

see how she thinks?? a "tattletell"...not a child
that comes to tell her that her daughter may be in danger...a "tattletale"...ugh!!

Buchanan was angry at her daughter and said
she looked for her flip-flops

angry!! because her sorry azz had to get up off
the couch to check on her daughter...I seriously even wonder
that this happened...

"Is Nevaeh home?" Buchanan remembers the
girl asking. "And I said, 'She has to be upstairs at Austin's, but
she is either out back, or out front, or upstairs at Austin's.' "

I just threw up...this "mother" does NOT even
know where her child is and doesn't sound like she cares...this
baby was only 5 years old!

She doesn't believe in spanking. "I'm a time-out mom," Buchanan said.

I believe this is true...she's a time out mom indeed...
time out for herself...no time for her daughter...

"As for the guys, I don't know," she said.
"I didn't think it was a crime to have my child around someone.
Honestly, no matter who you come across, you don't know who
and what they are. You don't know if they are labeled as a sex offender unless you look their name up."

ok what real mother would even think about
exposing their child (daughter OR son) to known SO?? I can't go
here..I'll be banned..she knew their past history..

"I'm completely innocent," she said.
"I didn't have anything to do with my daughter's disappearance.
I don't do drugs. I hardly ever drink. I don't owe anybody any money.
I have hardly any enemies. I don't understand who would come up
and take my child."

Count them...7 "I"s right here...for her, it's all about herself not her daughter...

Nevaeh didn't trust strangers. Nevaeh must
have put up a fight or known the person who snatched her

this makes me feel certain that this baby knew
who did this to her...

Thanks if you hung in my post this long.
I'm sick at my stomach thinking about the life this child had.
I honestly can't even discuss the "father" who had not been around for
3 years nor can I go there about the grandmother!
I am a grandmother raising my grandaughter. She just turned 4.
We have had her since she was 20 months old. Trust me to say
I know where this child is constantly. My life is about protecting
and taking care of this child of ours. Her mother and father has
failed her but I am determined that her granddaddy and
I will NOT!
My wish would be that all our children would have that one person enter their lives that could make all the difference in the world...

Thanks mods for taking the trouble to remove my double post.:o

Well right now it seems to me that JB is either incredibly naive or obsessed with that guy, but she is not the perp.

But she certainly knew the risks.

"I gave him a second chance'..

If George wanted to do that, he would have done it a little sooner"

http://www.freep.com/article/200906...nifer+Buchanan+denies+killing+daughter+Nevaeh

Another assessment.
If true the perp threw an empty beer can in the 'hole' with her, it shows a total disrespect for the victim, like she was worthless, trash..imo

I think, and mind you this after a completely sleepless night, that the perp has been in jail before. She was put in a hole (solitary) and surrounded by concrete (cell). As well as burying a body, it seems the perp was able to drink a beer, seemingly relaxed. It almost seems to me like a formerly incarcerated perp striking back at the person that put him in jail. He is either smart enough to know that he couldn't go after the person that led to his bing in jail in the first place, or that person is simply inaccessible to him and he used Nevaeh as a substitute.

I hate to be gross or dirty or whatever, but stabbing her in the stomach...maybe the kid saw him raping her. You know, if a child hasn't seen a sex act before...they may describe it as that. Who knows. I still think its an odd statement to come from a child.

I thought the same exact thing but didn't want to post it. Thank you!

Sandcastles, I totally agree with your observations and share your wish. God bless you for being an angel to your little angel. :blowkiss:

Thanks mods for taking the trouble to remove my double post.:o

Well right now it seems to me that JB is either incredibly naive or obsessed with that guy, but she is not the perp.

But she certainly knew the risks.

"I gave him a second chance'..

If George wanted to do that, he would have done it a little sooner"
http://www.freep.com/article/200906...nifer+Buchanan+denies+killing+daughter+Nevaeh
An earlier article stated that JB and the grandmother learned GK was an RSO from an online search. That tells me she considered the danger early on and decided her own needs outweighed the well-being of her child. Not naive, imo, just a self-serving b___h!

Or he was never caught with a child younger that could tell what he had done to them. JMO.

For some reason this reminded me of that pedo Chester Stiles out of Nevada who filmed himself raping a 2 year old but had also molested multiple children of all ages in addition to have many relationships with older women, younger women, etc. He seemed great at getting women to give him money, take care of him, etc as well. Charming snakes I guess.

But yeah, the pedo age preference isn't always there. Some just take opportunity where ever they can find it.

I think AfterSunset is correct, a lazy, time out mother, who showed very little consideration for her 5 year old's well-being.
Perhaps she thought she didn't have to bother, because she was a non-custodial parent?

I could easily picture her laying on the coach, watching TV, but not necessarily carrying heavy cement bags, mixing concrete or digging holes. :no:

I think AfterSunset is correct, a lazy, time out mother, who showed very little consideration for her 5 year old's well-being.
Perhaps she thought she didn't have to bother, because she was a non-custodial parent?

I could easily picture her laying on the coach, watching TV, but not necessarily carrying heavy cement bags, mixing concrete or digging holes. :no:

In my mind we can rule out JB as the one that carried Neveah down the steep embankment and carried the 90 lb bag of cement down it too.

In the video of her walking across the street ( a short clip) she looks heavily pregnant. What I mean to say is she carries "heavy" and watching her walk looks painful. Some women do carry the weight down in their pelvis and start waddling earlier on in their pregnancies that the rest of us. I never did walk like that until the last couple weeks when the baby had dropped. JMHO

Ok here is the interview where "Easter" says LE questions him about following them out of Kmart I knew I wasn't crazy...

Easter said he learned of Nevaeh’s disappearance when he was called by a girlfriend who lives at the Charlotte Arms Apartments, where the girl had disappeared while playing alone in the parking lot. His girlfriend said she needed a ride to the store, saying the apartment complex was abuzz over the missing girl, he said.

“I had a hard time thinking in my head,” Easter said of the questioning.

He told authorities he had been at Kmart that night. He said investigators tried to pin him down, acting like Nevaeh was at the store with her mother that day.

“They kept telling me, ‘You followed her out of Kmart,’ ” Easter said

http://www..com/2009/06/breaking-news-body-found-is-nevaeh-buchanan/

Thanks, Mystic. I had not seen this interview. If this is accurate, I suppose this means that LE is confirming the Sunday afternoon KMart trip.
This cites the Detroit paper, but I have searched the Detroit paper site and cannot find this original story. (I am so frustrated trying to find any credible source in this story.) I have seen other mentions of JB walking to Kmart, but again from indirect sources. I suppose all of the discrepency is due to speculation, as LE has not made an arrest, and they are releasing very little information. Still, one would think that the Kmart trip would have been mentioned by LE before the little Nevaeh's body was discovered, in an effort to gain more tips. Typically, in a search for the missing, is not any recent video at all released in the efforts to help in the search? As we learned a little more about the timeline from the recent JB interview, I keep thinking that the information is out there, but it is impossible to find.

In my mind we can rule out JB as the one that carried Neveah down the steep embankment and carried the 90 lb bag of cement down it too.

In the video of her walking across the street ( a short clip) she looks heavily pregnant. What I mean to say is she carries "heavy" and watching her walk looks painful. Some women do carry the weight down in their pelvis and start waddling earlier on in their pregnancies that the rest of us. I never did walk like that until the last couple weeks when the baby had dropped. JMHO

:hand: JB is pregnant? :(

(I have said this before, but in my mind, the perp might not have carried either down.)

So she is pregnant??? I thought it had been determined she was not. :(

I think, and mind you this after a completely sleepless night, that the perp has been in jail before. She was put in a hole (solitary) and surrounded by concrete (cell). As well as burying a body, it seems the perp was able to drink a beer, seemingly relaxed. It almost seems to me like a formerly incarcerated perp striking back at the person that put him in jail. He is either smart enough to know that he couldn't go after the person that led to his bing in jail in the first place, or that person is simply inaccessible to him and he used Nevaeh as a substitute.

And weren't 2 of he linked RSO's supposedly at the jail that day? JB drove Smith there of visit someone still incarcerated in the inmate dorms. So now we have two conviced sexual predators fresh off a jailhouse visit, tooling around in a van. Oh yeah this doesn't ring any warning bells at all.

Okay then I must have missed her not being pregnant...sorry. Mea Culpa! :) I'm going to go back and see if I can find the link where she's not.

But she walks like she is...lol

"I trusted her to actually go there . . ." As in "she deceived me by going outside" so it'snot my fault.

The child is a "tattle tale". Nice when talking about the one person who was concerned about her child's welfare and so happened to be another child.

Tell me JB is not pregnant.

What we have here is a hands-off parent who let her 5 year old wander around without any supervision other than by her own little friends.

Pathetic. Makes me sick. This murder (if someone snatched the child from the parking lot) was completely preventable had her mother simply watched her.

But I guess John & Kate is just too captivating to be able to make sure your child gets to her destination or to notice that your kid is gone.

New, improved timeline with added info (thanks to nursebeme.)
Navaehtimeline-4.jpg

Interesting article in Toledo Blade this AM about "profile" of killer...

STAFF WRITER

The grisly way in which a little girl's body was disposed of along a remote stretch of the River Raisin in Monroe County could yield important clues to the identity of her assailant, a top criminal expert says.

The body, believed to be 5-year-old Nevaeh Buchanan, was found Thursday covered in cement by fishermen who smelled a strange odor and chipped away at what they thought was a concrete block. Nevaeh had been missing from her Monroe apartment complex and presumed abducted since May 24.

While the average person recoils at such gruesome discoveries, the evidence tends to point to "organized" killers who could pass as average Joes, said Ken Lanning, a consultant on crimes against children and a retired FBI agent.

Mr. Lanning and veteran Toledo Detective Frank Stiles, in separate interviews late last week, cautioned it is too soon to conclude there was a sexual motivation to the killing of the young girl.

"It's a possibility, but there needs to be more evidence," said Mr. Stiles, author of two books on high-profile Toledo homicides and chief investigator for the Lucas County prosecutor's office.

Police have identified two sexual offenders - friends of the girl's mother - as persons of interest. They are not suspects, Monroe County Sheriff Tilman Crutchfield said.
Detective Stiles and Mr. Lanning said they had no direct knowledge of this case and said they were speaking about such crimes generally.

Sexual assault is the first thing that people think of when they hear about the abduction and killing of a child, Mr. Lanning said. But it is one of many motivations. They can occur as a result of kidnappings gone wrong - either by someone seeking ransom or out of a desire to raise a child. They can be carried out by killers with no sexual interest in the child. They can be revenge killings committed by someone with a grudge against a family member.

Despite public perception, 99 percent of child abductions end in the quick return of the victim, Mr. Lanning said.

But one study of 500 abductions that ended in a homicide found that the child died within three hours of being taken, he added.

"You look at what happened and then you try to evaluate why it happened and hopefully it will lead you to the kind of person who did it," Mr. Lanning said.

Haphazardly discarded bodies found quickly tend to point to killers who are "disorganized" because of drug use, alcohol use, mental illness, youth, or other factors.

In other situations, assailants deliberately "display" bodies along heavily traveled highways where they will be seen. These crimes tend to be committed by perpetrators who are sending a message to the victim's family or society, Mr. Lanning said.

"Organized" killers who seek to conceal remains are generally thought to be more intelligent, more calculating, and calmer than other killers. And it can be a sign that the assailant has killed before. "These are not absolute categories," he cautioned

So according to them, they're not looking for some haphazard killer here. Or and accidental killing cover up. As I said before, I believe this guy planned this and knew exactly what he was doing.

I'm not quite sure why LE has said they don't think it's a boat. The only explanation would be was a poster said before, that there might be concrete dust going up hill or something, but if we take that one step further, if you were a REALLY smart sociopath, why not just sprinkle it there yourself to throw off cops...to lead them to believe that you came in a car, not a boat? Then the cops wouldn't even ask about boat sightings or rentals and they'd spend all their time chasing a car lead.

I give LE alot of credit, I really do. BUT, having been married to a LE officer , cops get what's called "boxed" syndrome. They jump on what they "think" happened, and then fit the clues into that box. It's hard for them to get out of that box once they decide, and trust me, they've already decided what happened. My ex used to actually have classes and continuing education in trying to break the syndrome because it really makes cases difficult to solve or leads to the arrest of an innocent person. And no offense to any police on the board, but cops are notorious ego maniacs and black and white in their thinking, it's very hard for them to think in gray terms. They focus on what they think and then make the clues fit, because they CAN'T be wrong. Plus you have the grandstanding and the mutual hate of different departments and levels of law enforcement. Local cops HATE to call in other jurisdictions...it's THEIR case and they want to run the show, there's are numerous pissing contests going on between agencies. State police think they're better than local LE of course, so when they come in they try to take over and treat local LE like they're rubes. EVERYONE hates the feds. Truly. There is so much disdain for the FBI in local and state LE agencies it's unbelievable, because once the feds come in, everyone else is OUT. My ex was a deep undercover narcotics officer and while I truly support our police and thank God for them, there is ALOT of politics and hatred among different agencies. We would, as average citizens like to think that they all work together, but truly..it's not the case most of the time.

I'm still not convinced there was no boat used, especially after the profile of an organized, intelligent killer.

Plus, I know people have been talking about 90# bags of concrete and such, but it's not like 90 pounds of concrete were poured out. A big drywall bucket would have been enough of quickcret to carry. Just a layer was poured over the body, a thin enough layer where the fisherman didn't have to do to much to see skin.

Here's link to article..http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090607/NEWS16/906070319

Purple is mine. I agree with so much of your post but disagree with the experts evaluation, yes, lil ole me with no experience whatsoever, disagrees with the experts. Sorry, but IMHO it doesn't take a rocket scientist to dig a shallow grave at a an area rarely frequented by others and put a little body in it and pour dry concrete over it and add some river water. Kind of dumb in my opinion as the concrete didn't cure as it should have leaving powder residue in the shallow grave, and so thin that the man and boy who found her were able to flick the cement away, that is how thin it was. Not to mention throwing the beer can in the grave, kind of sealing the perps own fate(DNA, fingerprints). So MO is LE needs to rethink, the IQ they are giving their perp. JMO.

Okay I searched all five threads and on thread number 1 I found a discussion of her possible pregnancy but I didn't see confirmation of her being pregnant or not pregnant.

Anyone have a link so I can put this out of my head today? I'll drive myself crazy with it! TIA

ETA: If someone finds it and I'm not on, (My son graduates High School this evening) can you please shoot a link to my public messages area? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member