MI MI - Tamara Greene, 27, Detroit, 30 April 2003

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:clap: Great news about charges being brought! I liked this quote from Prosecutor Kym Worthy:
"Some have suggested that the issues in this case are personal or private," said Worthy, a Democrat like the mayor. "Our investigation has clearly shown that public dollars were used, people's lives were ruined, the justice system severely mocked and the public trust trampled on."

She added: "This case is about as far from being a private matter as one can get."
More at link to WXYZ.com

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/NEWS01/803250423/1003/NEWS

Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's high-powered criminal defense attorney declined Monday to say how he is being paid, but added it would not be with public money.

-------
Kilpatrick could be tapping his own bank account to pay Webb's legal fees, but he might also be turning to his campaign account, which had $1.3 million on hand as of Dec. 3. He also has a political action committee that had $35,000 as of October.

Kilpatrick has at least four charitable nonprofit funds that he could possibly tap. One such fund is the Kilpatrick Civic Fund. The fund was created in 1999 to promote voter education and activities that "contribute to the betterment of the lives of the youth of Detroit and surrounding communities."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/NEWS01/803250395

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said Monday that even if Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick resigned, it would not spare him a trial on criminal charges that threaten to send him from the mayoral Manoogian Mansion to a prison cell.

------
Worthy said she has all of Kilpatrick's text messages from 2002 -- when he took office -- to about 2007. She declined to say whether she has text messages for other members of Kilpatrick's administration. She said her office has seen at least four months worth of Beatty's text messages and has read some.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080325/NEWS01/803250423/1003/NEWS

Kilpatrick has at least four charitable nonprofit funds that he could possibly tap.

Talk about a can of worms. Can you legally use funds that were donated and earmarked for charity? And then you have the IRS issue in doing that. I don't see how it would be possible without breaking some sort of law. An audit on those non profits needs to be done to make sure Kwame hasn't been skimming them the entire time.

Talk about a can of worms. Can you legally use funds that were donated and earmarked for charity? And then you have the IRS issue in doing that. I don't see how it would be possible without breaking some sort of law. An audit on those non profits needs to be done to make sure Kwame hasn't been skimming them the entire time.

It will all depend on the language and stated mission of each charity. He's already been caught using funds from one of them for a spa vacation for his family. :bang:

I work with a non-profit and know some of the ins and outs of the system. In unscrupulous hands it's a nightmare. In the hands of those who have a calling and passion to positively impact people's lives it's a blessing.

I wish I had the names of the charities so I could look up the tax returns. KK could be paying himself, his wife, his kids, his dog groomer salaries for administering the charitable fund. He could be paying his cell phone, computers, vehicles etc. etc. etc. as expenses through the charity. Quite frankly, it's a situation rife with the ability for abuse times FOUR. :mad:

This is just some info on ONE of the funds:

http://www.detnews.com/2005/metro/0503/10/A01-112311.htm
Nonprofit corporations

The mayor's appointees and staff sit on the boards of at least two nonprofit groups and his sister and wife are paid by a third. They have brought some controversy and been a major source of campaign cash. Critics suggested during his 2001 run for mayor that he was inappropriately raising campaign money through nonprofit foundations.

On Monday, Kilpatrick reiterated that his campaign has no links to the charities.

"There are no ties," he said.

Even before he was elected mayor, a foster home operator alleged in a lawsuit that the owner of a Highland Park homeless shelter received preferential treatment on a Wayne County contract after giving a $50,000 donation to the Kilpatrick Civic Fund, designed to enhance voter education.

On the Civic Fund's board are the mayor's chief of staff, Christine Beatty, and his chief administrative officer, Derrick Miller.
Several of Kilpatrick's appointees also have ties to the three nonprofit organizations, the mayor's political committees or both.

Another Non-Profit Fund:

http://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/case/nextvision.html

A class action lawsuit will be filed against Detroit's Next Vision Foundation, a scholarship fund for students founded by Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick's family in 2002, on behalf of Detroit Public School students. The suit follows an announcement this week that over half of the total $717,000 raised by Next Vision in 2002 and 2003 was paid as salary to the mayor's sister, Ayanna Kilpatrick, Next Vision president and CEO; First Lady Carlita Kilpatrick, who held a part-time event planning and marketing position at the charity; and attorney Lisa Cylar Miller, Next Vision executive director. According to the plaintiff's attorney, "They took money from a scholarship fund that was purported to be given money to high school students for their education and gave it to themselves for salaries. We see that as really a breach of trust on the Detroit students. We believe that that money should be reimbursed by Kwame Kilpatrick to the Detroit school students."

If you feel you qualify for damages or remedies that might be awarded in this class action please click the link below to submit your complaint.

This just never ends does it? Golfmom, this is your area of expertise. Keep us posted. Obvious trouble brewing, or should be, regarding the non-profits.

Another WS'er yesterday started a thread for the Mayors felony charges. I know we are already discussing it here. But it might not be a bad idea to have a forum with different topics. I can think of about six so far. I know many aren't posting here. But they are reading. And that's ok with me, as long as people are interested. Although it gets lonely sometimes. lol.

This just never ends does it? Golfmom, this is your area of expertise. Keep us posted. Obvious trouble brewing, or should be, regarding the non-profits.

Another WS'er yesterday started a thread for the Mayors felony charges. I know we are already discussing it here. But it might not be a bad idea to have a forum with different topics. I can think of about six so far. I know many aren't posting here. But they are reading. And that's ok with me, as long as people are interested. Although it gets lonely sometimes. lol.

I'm just afraid we will get thrown into the Political Forum ... it's scary in there. :eek:

I have to admit Suzi this is a very complicated political and criminal case. You have to dig that deep to understand this story. There are just so many fronts. :bang:

I'm just afraid we will get thrown into the Political Forum ... it's scary in there. :eek:

I have to admit Suzi this is a very complicated political and criminal case. You have to dig that deep to understand this story. There are just so many fronts. :bang:

It scare's me so much over there I never visit! Yes, there are so many fronts that when I started this thread I didn't know who or what to title it. I guess I picked Tamara because she's the one that tugged at my heart the most.

Kwame's arraignment is 1PM EDT.

WXYZ.COM WILL HAVE LIVE COVERAGE BEGINNING AT NOON

http://www.wxyz.com/news/story.aspx?content_id=92d4e0ce-da0f-47ff-a583-f9bce1c41bfa

Detroit City Council is meeting right now at City Hall. It's unclear if members will discuss the charges filed against Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and his former chief of staff Christine Beatty. (more and live feed at link)

http://www.wxyz.com/content/video/stream.aspx

It appears that all the parties are there....except Kwame. Go figure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valafares
Back