MI MI - Tanner Lucas, Alexander William, & Andrew Ryan Skelton, Morenci, 26 Nov 2010 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Last Updated: July 29. 2011 1:02AM.

Investigators: Father of missing Morenci boys looked up how to break a neck

Doug Guthrie and Mike Wilkinson/ The Detroit News

Adrian — Dreams of the three missing boys near a Dumpster.

Memories of the trio covered in blankets and clutching toys before their father drove away.

The man's Internet search for breaking necks just a week before his sons vanished.

Those chilling details were read in an Adrian courtroom Thursday when the father of three Morenci boys last seen on Thanksgiving pleaded no contest to criminal charges that could keep him behind bars for up to 15 years.

It is unclear whether John Skelton's plea deal with Lenawee County Prosecutor Jonathan Poer will lead to an explanation of what happened to Andrew, Alexander and Tanner Skelton, ages 9, 7 and 5, respectively...

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110729...s-looked-up-how-to-break-a-neck#ixzz1TV1naaUJ

http://www.freep.com/

It doesn't sound like JS will give up the location and I guess this was a way to keep him behind bars. They dropped the kidnapping charges but the homicide investigation would continue. I am hoping that if they find the boys, it won't be considered double jeopardy to charge him with murder at that time.

Double jeopardy only applies if you have been tried and found not guilty, and no new compelling evidence is found.

IMHO - he'll be charged with murder eventually, how long that will take is anybody's guess.

My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the State has agreed to this to keep him in jail and that the state will not get another crack at him, but the feds will because the crime involved crossing from Mich into Ohio with the boys.

I hope he is haunted 24 hrs/day by what he did to them especially if he took their lives.

I am also hoping that his fellow inmates can encourage him to tell what he did with the boys.

I don't understand this plea deal? What did they get in exchange? He was facing up to life in prison and now downgraded to 15 years? WHY? He still hasn't said where the boys are!!!! :maddening:

In exchange, prosecutors dropped a charge of parental kidnapping in the Thanksgiving 2010 disappearance of 9-year-old Andrew, 7-year-old Alexander and 5-year-od Tanner Skelton.

Had Skelton been convicted of kidnapping, he faced a possible sentence of life in prison, reports CBS affiliate WTOL. With the lesser imprisonment charges the Michigan man only faces up to 15 years in prison.

According to WTOL, residents in the Skelton's Southern Michigan home of Morenci feel he is getting off too easy.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_162-20085440-504083.html

My guess is that they had a shaky case, and they wanted to get him on something that would keep him in jail. That gives them time to work on other inmates to try and befriend him and get him to open up. I'm guessing they see this as just another step in the greater investigation. It's also a plea to something that doesn't interfere with double jeopardy, if/when they find the boys.

My guess is that they had a shaky case, and they wanted to get him on something that would keep him in jail. That gives them time to work on other inmates to try and befriend him and get him to open up. I'm guessing they see this as just another step in the greater investigation. It's also a plea to something that doesn't interfere with double jeopardy, if/when they find the boys.

A shaky case against kidnapping? He was supposed to bring the kids back to their mom and didn't.

I think the kidnapping was a slam dunk and that's why I'm so confused as to why they made a plea deal? He could've spent the rest of his pathetic days in jail. Why plea if you get nothing in return? Makes no sense.

A shaky case against kidnapping? He was supposed to bring the kids back to their mom and didn't.

I think the kidnapping was a slam dunk and that's why I'm so confused as to why they made a plea deal? He could've spent the rest of his pathetic days in jail. Why plea if you get nothing in return? Makes no sense.

If it was a slam dunk, they wouldn't have plead out. Not for something like this - and since it doesn't appear he gave up any information for the plea, I'm guessing the case wasn't as strong as it appeared.

*bump* for the boys, who would be starting to attend school around this time :(

Come home soon.

I keep thinking somehow someone is going to stumble upon these boys. I figured once the snow melted maybe it wouldbe easier to find them. IMO, they are no longer alive, but how I hope and pray they are found safe. I just cannot even imagine how their mom is coping. I think the dad should have gotten longer in jail IMO.

We haven't forgotten you precious children!

skelton-blog-post.gif

Father of missing Morenci boys to be sentenced tomorrow for sons' disappearance

http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/father-of-missing-morenci-boys-to-be-sentenced-tomorrow-for-sons'-disappearance

The father of three missing boys from Morenci will learn tomorrow how many years he’ll spend behind bars for the disappearance of his sons.

At Thursday’s sentencing John will only get time on the kidnapping charges he pleaded guilty to in July, though prosecutors have left the door open to additional charges, such as homicide, if further evidence surfaces.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abk018
Back