MI - Updates On Stanley Case-2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
For those who might be interested, I think today is the day for the deposition of the pathologist. Let's see now. Question # 1: Why were no fingernail scrapings taken at the autopsy after it was decided that Erin might have been strangled. Question # 2. Why was the body not combed for fibers, hairs etc. that might reveal DNA evidence. Question # 3: Why was a sexual assault kit not run on Erin Stanley. Even if she was not raped, it might reveal that she and James might have had sex that evening and that would certainly shed some light on his state of mind. Question# 4: Did anyone ask you not to run a rape kit, scrape from under Erin's fingernails or comb her body for fibers, hair etc. that might reveal DNA evidence. I am sure that James' attorney can come up with a few more on his own. Any thoughts?

Someone needs to answer those quetions, She may have just feel and landed and hit her throat so many thing could have happened butt they didnt investigate it so we may never know.

McDraw & HAWG
If James gives me a call I expect he might be a little reluctant to say much about the deposition since the calls are monitored. For now I feel fortunate that they were able to get the deposition. I certainly hope the questions I posted got asked.

In all honesty, I still can't figure out a motive nor do I understand why this case hasn't already gone to trial.

Take care all.

Bumblebug- First of all, please let me applaud all of your efforts and hard work you do to help bring some justice to James' case. :clap::clap::clap:Your good karma will come back to you ten-fold.

As you know, I have pretty much been here since the beginning also. I do not recall, but are you related or friends wil James' in any way? The reason I ask is that I have yet to hear one word from his family members. IIRC, his parents arent around anymore, but where are his friends? At that age, I had more than I do now, lol. I wish you were his defense atty since you bring up such valid points and facts.

I look forward to daily "bumblebug updates" :) and I appreciate all the hard work you do. I know others have applauded your efforts in the past, but you have dedicated yourself to this help-less young man and I truely admire your self-lessness in doing so. You were even posting from the hospital while you were so sick!! That shows dedictaion in my book!!

I also know that you will do your best to get him as fair publicity as possible. Its a shame what the PI has done to his reputation and trashing of his character- almost seems like that kind of thing should be taboo in these days and times :rolleyes:

Keep up your dedication and hard work. I know that I, for one appreciate your first-hand info and knowledge on this case-

Thank you for all you do/post.

Your friend,

Chico :blowkiss:

Keep up the hard work- you are awesome!

PS- To all of my fellow WS'ers- When I first got involved in this case, I was one of the first to say that he was guilty as sin. After reading the posts from BB, and all of the research and shoddiness from CPD as well as the state police. (I think I made a new word-lol), I can see the case from a different angle and it is very plausible that he didnt do it- Dont get me wrong, the chances are slim, but they are slim to say the least, and that is all a jury needs to have that reasonable doubt!

Chicogirl36
First let me say thanks for your kind comments. Second, James is not without his friends, families or supporters. For several different reasons some have chosen to say little or nothing at this time. I just thought it only fair that this case be more out in the open and honest. I certainly don't expect the local media to help since they depend on the Wayne county prosecutor for all his press releases. Heaven forbid that they would actually look into the details. For this case, all I want is an honest and fair trial for James. For those who don't see this case the same way I do, I can only say this is one of those times you have to say "you have to have had to been there" to see how this how poorly this case was handled. There is so much more that could be said but in all candor it will have to wait till after the trial. Thanks again to all of you for your support and for being willing to listen to the alternatives that were so possible.

To those living in or near Wayne county
In a little more than a week the pretrial for this case will begin. Since I don't live in the area I sincerely hope that some of the local residents attend the pretrial and provide feedback to those of us posting on this forum. I think we can all agree that the local press has done almost nothing to accurately report the full details of this case. I also hope that local residents will contact both print and electronic media in the area (Muncie and Indianapolis in Indiana, Dayton, and Cincinnati, Ohio etc.to see if they will send reporters to cover both the pretrial and trial occurring this month and next month respectively. It is somewhat comforting to know that is a little more than sixty days we should know how this is all going to turn out. I continue to ask for your prayers for the people involved to include the families and friends of those involved especially Alexis.

Bumblebug, I'm sorry I am not anywhere near there. I hope someone can attend court and report back to us. I am interested in finding out how this all turns out.

McDraw
Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I can't help think there is still something wrong here and I still find it difficult to accept that Kelly's death was an accident. Seizures are not generally the prime cause of death for people to have them. Usually they fall or hurt themselves in some other way and that is the cause of death. Thanks for your support and comments.

McDraw
Thanks for your thoughts and comments. I can't help think there is still something wrong here and I still find it difficult to accept that Kelly's death was an accident. Seizures are not generally the prime cause of death for people to have them. Usually they fall or hurt themselves in some other way and that is the cause of death. Thanks for your support and comments.

I will never believe that Kelly's death was an accident due to a seizure. I believe this whole case has been mishandled from the very beginning. There have been a lot of questions but no answers imo. I had thought at the beginning that James had to be guilty....but the question was why if he was guilty didn't he run? At this point I don't understand why the bodies were disposed of so quickly either. I have a very bad feeling that we will never know what happened to those two girls....very sad.
I live in Richmond and would love to be able to go to the pre-trial and report back, however, I work I will not be able to attend. Bumblebug, I have to say that I admire you for your stance in your beliefs, and I know you have taken a lot of heat for those beliefs but I have to say that you have made me look at this case in a different light....thank you.
Deb

Deb2007
This is one of those cases where there is so much wrong that one has to believe that the conclusions can't be right. I too find it difficult to believe that Kelly's death was from natural causes. It appears that her cause of death was determined as it was because any other conclusion would have linked the two deaths and James would have had to be considered innocent because he had an alibi for the Kelly's death. At this time the best that I can hope for is that other local news media with cover both the pretrial and trial both fairly and accurately. I also ask that we not forget Alexis in all this. She certainly is deserving of all our prayers.

It appears that her cause of death was determined as it was because any other conclusion would have linked the two deaths and James would have had to be considered innocent because he had an alibi for the Kelly's death.
<<Snipped>>
I do understand what you are saying. I have to say that I had never thought about it like that...and that's what has been driving me crazy. But the explanation you give makes perfect sense.
I will never forget Alexis, believe me she has always been in my prayers.
Take care,
Deb

deb2007
Let us not forget that initially the Coroner said he thought the girls died of similar causes. The attending physician at the hospital however, said that even though he had to adjust the breathing tube in Erin's throat he saw nothing particularly unusual about her throat's appearance. He said that at the bond hearing. I also found it particularly unusual that the medical examiner was called to perform the autopsy on the day of Erin's death all the way from Fishers. As I think everyone knows Erin's and Kelly's bodies were cremated shortly after their deaths. The family said it was because of cost that they chose to have the bodies cremated. That was also stated by the family members at the bond hearing. deb 2007 thanks for your prayer for Alexis.

The local paper says today the that defense is requesting a postponement of both the pretrial and trial to investigate facts revealed a a deposition of the pathologist who performed the autopsy on Erin Stanley. The article said that the Coroner did not comply with the pathologist's request to hold off on the washing of the body and harvesting of organs before the autopsy. Needless to say this might be the reason that the pathologist was unable to comb the body for DNA evidence like hair, fibers etc. It's beginning to sound like some of the players attending the autopsy might have had their own agenda. The article is in the Richmond Paladium Item. (Pal-Item) and is on their web site.

Update
The follow info is extracted from the a Pal-Item article published today. I will skip what we already know.
"In their motion filed this week, the defense attorneys claimed that Czaja (the pathologist) acknowledged in a deposition conducted last month that he could not rule out seizure as the cause of Erin Stanleys death."
"Specifically, the attorneys contend that Wayne County Coroner Keven Fouche permitted processing of Erin Stanleys body in a manner that might resemble strangulation. "Tissue procurement people performed a bloopd draw with severtal punchures to the neck area opf Erin Stanley," McFarland's attorneys contend in their motion.
The defense attorneys say they need added time to review evidence against their client as well as other evidence they contend has only recently or hasn't yet been turned over to them.
Czaja (the pathologist) reached by the Paladium Item on Thursday confirmed from his office in Fort Wayne that he had asked the Wayne County Coroner (Keven Fouche) to prohibit any tissue procedures on Erin Stanley's body unit (he) Czaja had performed the autopsy.
Czaja said the decision wasn't necessarily "terrible" or "bad" because investigators were treating Erin Stanley's death as natural causes.
Note: I find that last comment troubling since it is not logical on one had to ask the Coroner not to let anything happen to Erin's body until he finished the autopsy and then say it was not "terrible" or "bad". I wonder what prompted that change in tone.
I believe this article does shed some light on small town politics and justice.

update
Just a quick thought, early in the investigation, when the Coroner said the Kelly died of a seizure, he noted a check of the family's medical history aided him in reaching that conclusion. Certainly there are tumors like chiari tumors found in the upper spine and brain step areas that do cause seizures and can eventually cause death to the patient.

I guess that is what I keep remembering that their cause of deaths "were similar". I just think if Kelly died from a seizure then Erin may have too. I live in a small town so I know they have their own way of doing things. Or at least mine does. And the "good ole boy" system is alive and well.

McDraw,
Another quick draw. I wonder if the Coroner might have had a financial motive in not complying with the pathologist's request not to harvest any organs until he had conducted his autopsy. Does anyone know if the owner of the facility where harvesting takes place gets paid for letting the organ collectors use his facility. It would certainly be horrible for someone to be convicted because someone thought his profit was more important than his responsibility to preserve the body. If anyone knows I think it would add a great deal to the case. Also if there is no clear without a doubt cause of death, why is the defendant still being held. After all, he never left the jurisdiction of the court after Erin's death and he has claimed from the very beginning that he had nothing to do with her death. I find it interesting that if he had claim this was an accident (e.g. rough sex or whatever) he would probably already be out of jail. His sticking to his guns (as he has) suggest he truly believes he is innocent of the charges. I too still believe the causes of death for both girls are certainly in question. The tumors I described above are very hard to find because as I understand it they entwine themselves around the spine and lower brain stem. Although I am not a doctor I know someone who had the condition and treatment opportunities are very limited. Surgery for this condition can truly be life altering.

It was in today's Pal-Item newspaper that the trial has been moved back until February 2, 2009 because the DNA evidence test results are not yet completed. By that date James will have spent more than a year in the Wayne county jail. If it's determined that James is innocent I suspect that a truly justified lawsuit might be in order. That would certainly be one way for his defense attorneys to get their fees. Since there is now a question as to Erin's cause of death (strangulation vs natural causes - seizures) does anyone out there have an opinion regarding grant James the opportunity to post bail. Just a thought.

In the article in yesterdays paper the Prosecutor said that statements and arguments made by the defense are not evidence. That may be true but the deposition of the pathologist I suspect will most certainly be introduced as evidence at the trial. Thus far I haven't seen anything that resembles evidence and I have reviewed and analyzed a great deal of the paperwork that has already been collected. The arrest warrant was so generic that if I were a judge I would have a hard time signing it. I don't think my conscience would let me. The Lead Investigator said in open court that the reason he arrested James was because he thought it was just common sense to do so. Somehow I just don't think a jury of 12 people will send someone to jail for a long time without substantial forensic evidence or an eye witness to support their claim of the defendant's guilt. Today is a quiet day for me so I think I will review all the paper work I have on the case again and see what else the Lead Investigator missed. He has missed so much that I hardly know where to begin. FOR HAWG is everything OK. How are your daughter doing and granddaughter doing. I very much appreciate the information she provided me early on in the case. Well take care and may God bless.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back