GUILTY MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - #11

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.wwmt.com/articles/mich-1388389-newschannel-county.html

They say the fingerprint of Stewart's on the tarp wrapper found at Venus' parents' home was the most important piece of evidence, but Stewart's accomplice Ricky Spencer was certainly the most important witness.

Just 21 years old when he took the stand and admitted to being Stewart's partner in crime, Ricky Spencer could have been seen in many unflattering ways, but that's not how he came across to jurors.

“We felt so bad for him,” said juror Dianne Downs.

Jurors said they didn't see Spencer as a criminal at all.

“He's a baby you know,” said juror Dawne Harrison, “and now this choice that he's made has not only affected him, but it's affected all of us too.”
I don't understand the sympathy toward Spencer, however, at least the jury did have the sense to convict Stewart.
:behindbar

Was it ever said if RS had any mental disabilities? (I'm not trying to be rude, I'm honestly curious)

I just can't understand how a grown man (He is 21 after all, completely legal to do anything he pleases...) could possibly think that something like this was anything to be a part of. Even Doug's story of why it "needed" to happen was the lamest bunch of bullchit, why would anyone with half a brain cell believe it? And how can people have sympathy for him? He helped plan and execute the murder of a young mother with 2 children. A woman who was victimized by her murderer before she moved 800 miles away, and then repeatedly harassed after she moved. There has to be something wrong with him. There just has to.

IMO, Venus never had a chance once she met Doug Stewart. Her fate was sealed the day they crossed paths.

R.I.P Venus. Doug's never gonna hurt you, your babies, or anyone else ever again.

I wish jurors had a choice on the ballot to choose "extra, extra guilty."

As far as Spencer goes, I hate that the jurors felt sorry for him. He was partly responsible for Venus' death, in my opinion. If he had refused to cooperate and let Venus know, she never would have been alone for an instant, anywhere. And maybe this murderer would have been locked up for conspiracy to commit a murder instead. He totally allowed this to happen, as I really doubt DS would have been able to convince anyone else to help him out.

I hope the feds go after Ricky.....

He could also be charged in Maryland, Delaware or Virginia. He has only been granted immunity in St. Joseph County, Michigan.

JLMcKenna83, he just claimed to have dyslexia, which obviously doesn't let him off the hook.

I definitely thought he was playing up the naive innocent angle during the trial to some extent. My guess is that he's somewhat different behind closed doors.

I still can not stop thinking about this case. Even though Doug has been convicted. Venus is still out there and those who love her need her to be found.
I wish Doug had an ounce of decency and would tell LE where she is.
I guess now we can hope he (with his cocky self) will "brag" in prison about what he did and where he put her.

Praying Venus is found soon. It's been WAY too long.

When is sentencing? Will they offer him a reductionin exchange for the location of her remains?

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered, I can't keep up these days)

Why is the sentencing not done at once when there is little or no flexibility? I don't understand that, seems like a waste of tax dollars not to get it done at the verdict.

This isn't a guy who will ever tell where Venus is. Sadly, I don't think we will ever learn where Kyron is either, if TH is eventually convicted either.

This isn't a guy who will ever tell where Venus is. Sadly, I don't think we will ever learn where Kyron is either, if TH is eventually convicted either.

Agree! They will forever maintain their 'innocence' and try to appeal.

The defence repeatedly claimed that evidence hadn't been properly disclosed to them during the trial, so that will probably be the basis for the appeal. It would be important because if it is true then they would not have been able to do their own investigation of the evidence or subject it to exhaustive cross examination. That might also be the reason for them not putting up a defence, they were just getting the trial out of the way and then addressing those issues on appeal.

I assume that they wouldn't have been making those claims if they were false since as officers of the court that could get them into trouble themselves if they did. They would have to prove it of course if they did appeal on those grounds.

I still can not stop thinking about this case. Even though Doug has been convicted. Venus is still out there and those who love her need her to be found.
I wish Doug had an ounce of decency and would tell LE where she is.
I guess now we can hope he (with his cocky self) will "brag" in prison about what he did and where he put her.

Praying Venus is found soon. It's been WAY too long.

I'm still searching. Did anyone catch the location of phone one 8:23 and 9:27 am on the 26th. I was glade to see the Ohio Walmart location was given. I can stop looking in Ohio now. Is the live feed from news 8 re-playable?

Can anyone point me in some probably search areas? I know the state police searched around his fathers house, as well as the state game areas, but I am wondering if anyone else might have other places of interest. I am thinking about taking HRD dog team out on a search, but am looking for areas that haven't been searched. I would like to think the state police have searched the areas above well enough that they feel confident that she is not out there. I could be wrong though. Thank you for all your help.

Can anyone point me in some probably search areas? I know the state police searched around his fathers house, as well as the state game areas, but I am wondering if anyone else might have other places of interest. I am thinking about taking HRD dog team out on a search, but am looking for areas that haven't been searched. I would like to think the state police have searched the areas above well enough that they feel confident that she is not out there. I could be wrong though. Thank you for all your help.

I'm so happy they reached a verdict in such a short time.

I'm sad that she has not been found.

(mtrooper I wish I could help with the search).

TY for all that you do here.

I'm not sure they wont help looking because the court denied me access to those two phone call gps locations that I mentioned a few posts back. The trial was broadcast live by News 8, but the feed blurred when the gps locations were reveled. I've never believed she was buried a mile from his parents or that a hunter would stumble upon her. With this being said, I'm sure the authorities have a good reason for holding back information.

Here are the locations that my little black dog and I have searched over. If anyone has a location that they think should be searched post it, and we will put it on our list. I think you have to copy this link into the upper search box. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=201898757750266363144.00048b44b39011cbe9570&z=10>

Was it ever said if RS had any mental disabilities? (I'm not trying to be rude, I'm honestly curious)

I just can't understand how a grown man (He is 21 after all, completely legal to do anything he pleases...) could possibly think that something like this was anything to be a part of. Even Doug's story of why it "needed" to happen was the lamest bunch of bullchit, why would anyone with half a brain cell believe it? And how can people have sympathy for him? He helped plan and execute the murder of a young mother with 2 children. A woman who was victimized by her murderer before she moved 800 miles away, and then repeatedly harassed after she moved. There has to be something wrong with him. There just has to.

IMO, Venus never had a chance once she met Doug Stewart. Her fate was sealed the day they crossed paths.

R.I.P Venus. Doug's never gonna hurt you, your babies, or anyone else ever again.

Knowing the family as well as I do, I have to believe RS was not your normal 20 yr old when he got involved with all of this. If you watched his testimony, you could see/hear that he had no filter when testifying. He repeated his verbatim conversations cuss words and all without flinching. It was like he didn't really know to be embarrased or aware of cussing in a courtroom. He wasn't able to go to public school for middle school or high school. They really didn't touch on the school he went to in MD for HS. He seemed like a real loner to me who didn't have many friends and got caught up with this guy who called him a brother. I just don"t see how a man raised in a loving caring environment like the one he grew up in would commit a crime like this unless there was some mental defect of some kind. It's just so rare to have the kind of parents he has and be evil. Especially when he didn't have a troubled youth or wasn't involved in drugs or problems prior to this.

Some of the most evil people in history came from very loving "normal" homes.

JMO

ETA: and he knew it was wrong because he refused for a while then agreed to it.

Venus' loved ones keep looking for body
Despite guilty verdict, hunt is not over yet
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/sw_mich/Venus-loved-ones-keep-looking-for-body
Updated: Sunday, 27 Mar 2011, 11:33 PM EDT
Published : Sunday, 27 Mar 2011, 6:14 PM EDT

By Dani Carlson
CENTREVILLE, Mich. (WOOD) - After months of looking for Venus Stewart's body, her family and friends have narrowed down their search area.

"It's hard to wrap your mind around the situation and to think like a killer," said Sue Billings, who lives out of state and spoke to 24 Hour News 8 over the phone Sunday night.

Billings is just one person who has searched for Venus' remains every week since the Colon Township woman's husband, Doug Stewart, was convicted of her murder March 11.

"It is a power issue," said Billings, when asked what she thought about Doug not revealing where Venus' body is. "It is an ego issue, and I don't think that he'll ever tell. I don't think that he'll ever admit his guilt."

But now, Billings said, Venus' friends and family have a better idea of where to search, because of cell phone calls Doug made around the time his estranged wife vanished April 26, 2010.

Searchers are focusing their efforts on a five-mile radius around the Kalamazoo County intersection of W Avenue and 36th Street, Billings said.

Even with the more focused search area, there's still a lot of land to cover, so Venus' loved ones have been posting flyers in the area, looking for help.

But Billings, and other searchers, told 24 Hour News 8 someone has been those signs down.

"Somebody has been taking them down a few hours after we put them up -- that's why we've been up there three weekends in a row," Billings said. "Why would somebody now take the posters down? We don't understand. We're very confused."

Still, Billings said Venus' family and friends are willing to continue the search, until they find what they're looking for.

"It will never be over," Billings said. "People talk about closure -- people say 'that should give you a bit of closure,' and I think in these situations, in humanity, that there's never closure."

Doug is scheduled to be sentenced for Venus' murder April 18. Her family is planning to hold a funeral for her April 26, the one-year anniversary of her disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NurseInvestigator
Back