GUILTY MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bump!!!

RS sentencing tomorrow!!!

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/07/ricky_spencer_accomplice_in_ve.html

Ricky Spencer, accomplice in Venus Stewart's abduction and murder, to be sentenced today

CENTREVILLE — Ricky Spencer, the accomplice in the April 2010 abduction and slaying of Venus Stewart, is scheduled to be sentenced this morning in St. Joseph County Circuit Court.

Under terms of a plea agreement, St. Joseph County Prosecutor John McDonough is recommending that Spencer serve no more than one year in the county jail for his role in helping Stewart's estranged husband, Doug Stewart, carry out the plan to kill her.

The decision as to how much time Spencer will spend behind bars now rests with Circuit Judge Paul Stutesman. Spencer's sentencing is scheduled for 9 a.m. today.

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/newschannel-1393760-sentenced-accomplice.html

Accomplice to be sentenced in Stewart murder

CENTREVILLE, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – Doug Stewart has received a life sentence for murdering his wife Venus and now his accomplice is set to be sentenced for his role.

Ricky Spencer admitted in court to pretending to be Doug Stewart so Stewart could travel here to Michigan to murder his wife. Today he'll be sentenced for his role.

That sentence is also upsetting Venus' family. They plan to be at the courthouse protesting today because they believe he should be held accountable.

We'll be in the courtroom when his sentence is handed down. You can look for much more throughout the day.

http://www.sturgisjournal.com/features/x2028118454/Protest-Accomplice-sentence-too-light

Protest: Accomplice sentence too light

Prosecutor sympathetic, but firm on plea bargain.

Centreville, Mich. — A small group of family members and friends of Venus Stewart stood outside the St. Joseph County Courthouse Monday morning to protest the upcoming sentencing of Ricky Spencer.

The protest was cut short by a severe storm, but the group plans to return on both July 20 and July 22.

In exchange for his testimony, Spencer was promised a sentence not to exceed a year in jail.

That plea bargain was upsetting to Coldwater residents Aerrol Jasper and Bobby Dirschell, relatives of Venus Stewart. They carried a sign Monday that read, “Ricky needs a lot more time.”

Jasper was the grandfather of Venus Stewart. Dirschell was her great-aunt.

Former Bronson resident Sue Billings, a school friend of Venus, had another reason to be critical.

She pointed to a sign that said, “Prosecutor’s office hugged Ricky. Unethical. Irresponsible.”

“I was horrified when I saw a member of the prosecutor’s staff hug him at his arraignment,” Billings said. “The person told me he was a ‘good kid.’”

g12c000000000000000d795c95d21806f9e81670082ebacb8b3bdab43b1.jpg

Tweet

jessicawheeler3 Jessica Wheeler
Ricky Spencer sentenced to one year in jail as per the plea agreement he made.
23 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Various tweets from Jessica Wheeler and Dani Carlson. Both are local reporters.

Links to their pages....
http://twitter.com/#!/jessicawheeler3
http://twitter.com/#!/DaniCarlsonTV8

DaniCarlsonTV8 Dani Carlson
Judge Stutesman says he will not interfere with plea agreement...Spencer will serve no more than a year in county jail
32 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Judge Stutesman says the plea agreement "shocks his consciousness as a human being"
34 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

"Without Ricky Spencer I think Doug Stewart would be free today" - prosecutor
51 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Prosecutor: it was sad to see Centreville on national television for this horrible crime
54 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Venus' mom says sometimes she can't believe she's gone, says "how many times could he have saved my baby's life?"
57 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Spencer "I would give my whole life to bring (Venus) back so she can be heree for her kids and her family"
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Spencer "this is a nightmare I can't wake up from"

Spencer says he "deeply regrets" what he did, and sometimes wishes he "wouldn't wake up"

Spencer's attorney calls Doug Stewart a sociopath in court

Ricky Spenc enters the courtroom...he plead no contest to conspiracy to commit manslaughter

Waiting for Doug Stewart's accomplice Ricky Spencer to be sentenced in Centreville
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

One of venus' family members yelled at Spencer as he left- "Ricky would you like to come help us look for Venus?"
30 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Ricky Spencer sentenced to one year in jail as per the plea agreement he made.
32 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

The judge has returned to hand down the sentence.
39 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

The judge is taking a moment to think about the sentence and will return with a sentence for Spencer.
50 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Prosecutor- "with out w/ out Ricky Spencer Doug would have killed his wife. With out Spencer I believe Doug would be free."
52 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Venus' mom: "I hope (Spencer) can never go a day with out seeing my little girl's face."
56 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply »

Ricky Spencer says this is a nightmare that he can never wake up from. He says he deeply regrets what he did.

In Centreville where Ricky Spencer is being sentenced for his role in the death of Venus Stewart. Ricky admitted to helping Doug Stewart.
2 hours ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Ok, so, the murderer has been sentenced. RS has been sentenced.

Only one more thing to do!!!!

Find Venus!!!!

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/07/ricky_spencer_sentenced_to_1_y.html

Ricky Spencer sentenced to 1 year in jail for role in Venus Stewart's murder, calls case 'a nightmare that I can never wake up from'

CENTREVILLE — The accomplice in the abduction and slaying of Venus Stewart was sentenced Friday to one year in the St. Joseph County Jail.

“Mr. Spencer's lawyer says he made one bad decision,” McComb said. “He made many bad decisions over a period of time. How many times could he have saved Venus' life?”

In addition to serving one year in the county jail, Stutesman sentenced Spencer to three years of probation and ordered him to pay court and state costs.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2011/07/ricky_spencer_sentenced_to_1_y.html

Ricky Spencer sentenced to 1 year in jail for role in Venus Stewart's murder, calls case 'a nightmare that I can never wake up from'

CENTREVILLE — The accomplice in the abduction and slaying of Venus Stewart was sentenced Friday to one year in the St. Joseph County Jail.

“Mr. Spencer's lawyer says he made one bad decision,” McComb said. “He made many bad decisions over a period of time. How many times could he have saved Venus' life?”

In addition to serving one year in the county jail, Stutesman sentenced Spencer to three years of probation and ordered him to pay court and state costs.

One year for helping? Makes me sick!

The fact he knew beforehand and did NOTHING should have gotten him at least 20 years IMO.
If he would have made 1 phone call, Venus would most likely be alive today and those precious girls would have their Mommy.

Yet... at the same time... what if he had never talked?

Would Doug be serving life?

Where would those girls be?

Would he have eventually gotten them back?

I'm looking at Susan Powell's case and wishing there was a Ricky Spencer to come forward in her case...

I agree and wish that Ricky had gotten more time.
When I think about how he could have saved Venus, it makes me want to puke.

However... if I had to choose between Ricky getting 1 year and Doug getting life... or Ricky not coming forward and Doug not getting convicted...

I'd much rather see Ricky get a year than watch Doug go free.

I don't think that Ricky will do anything violent on his own in the future. I don't think he's a direct danger. Doug definitely is.
Though if Ricky meets up with someone else who enlists his help... he may very well get himself into trouble again. He's certainly a follower.

*Now I will run away from the tomatoes being thrown at me...*
:couch:

ITA with most of what you said.

But, none of it would have been necessary had he picked up the phone to begin with.

IMO the plea deal should have been more than one year to begin with.

And, it was reported that the judge could have given him more time even after the deal and his testimony.

Absolutely, I agree. Ricky would have agreed to more I'm sure, if he feels as guilty as he says he does. Judge's don't like to interfere with plea agreements... but I do wish this judge had done it since it "shocked his conscience" I believe was the wording.

The reason they don't like to interfere though is because they don't want to send a message... "yeah you can make a deal with the prosecution but the judge will just toss it anyway." The judge doesn't want to discourage cooperation.

I have known people that are as much of a follower as Ricky is. It is scary what they are willing to do when someone pays attention to them.

I am just so grateful that Doug is behind bars. Josh Powell reminds me so much of Doug Stewart... :sick:

Wow. That was just....well, I don't even really know what to say. Venus is the mother of their grandchildren. I can not believe the horrible disrespect they are showing these children, and Venus' memory. I just never understand parents like this. Everyone loves their kids, and will stand by them, but for pete's sake, your son MURDERED his wife. I hope that hunters will indeed find her remains this year, so Venus' family can lay her to rest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious38
Back