Found Deceased MI - Wynter Cole Smith, 2, kidnapped and murdered, suspect Rasheed Malik Trice, 28, arrested, Lansing, 2 July 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JUL 4, 2023
[...]

Authorities said they've spoken with known associates of Trice and are continuing to release information in hopes of getting help from the public.

[...]

Officials shared known routes the suspect took from the Lansing area to metro Detroit.

Wynter Smith and Rashad Trice route

Lansing Police Department
Wynter Smith and Rashad Trice route

Lansing Police Department

Police are asking anyone near those routes to check their security cameras. They're also asking anyone who has seen anything out of the ordinary to report it to police.

[...]

Anyone who knows information about Wynter's location and does not share that with authorities could face charges.

“It’s a little girl. It’s a 2-year-old girl, my daughter. She shouldn’t have to go through this. She’s got her whole life ahead of her,” Wynter’s father Ajay Smith said.

Smith, who traveled to Michigan from Tennessee Monday night, is pleading for the safe return of his daughter.

[...]

The FBI says they're bringing in all the resources they have including several units within the department to assist in the search.

[...]
The second part of this route is different from the one released yesterday. They must have received new coordinates from Trice’s phone or vehicle.

JUL 4, 2023
Two days after a Lansing child went missing, Lansing Police Chief Ellery Sosebee and FBI Acting Special Agent Devin Kowalski are promising a 4 p.m. Tuesday update on 2-year-old Wynter Cole Smith.

The article above has been updated to include a summary of Trice's travel to St Clair Shores:
  • From 11:20 p.m. on Sunday to 12:20 a.m. on Monday, Trice is believed to have been between Lansing and Genoa Township;
  • Around 12:50 a.m. he was near Lathrup Village via I-96;
  • Between 1:10 a.m. and 2:40 am., Trice traveled on M-39 from Southfield to Detroit, where he has ties, and then back onto I-96
  • He took various local roads and ended in St. Clair Shores where police arrested him.

JUL 4, 2023
“We're all devastated," Cannon said. "It’s hard day by day moving on without this child, knowing that she’s missing and we don't know what's happening to her, if anything.”

Cannon says her daughter is now out of the hospital recovering from the physical attack, but the emotional injuries remain. Trice is staying silent on Wynter’s whereabouts, as investigators continue to interview him.

“It's torturing, you know? It's mentally torturing," Cannon said. "We can't move on like this for much longer. We need to bring this child home.”

I hope the authorities have thoroughly investigated the car to determine whether there's any evidence that the child was ever in the car. Otherwise she may still be in her Mother's home - injured and unable to respond.
Yes. I'm hoping they searched the home throughly, washer, dryer, closets. Sadly children have been found in these places. He stabbed the mom 15 times. I hope Wynter is somewhere safe.

He actually has a child with the mother, a son, younger however this little girl is from another person. He took her and not his own son. Very concerning. IMO
I thought I had read something about a son too but couldn't remember where - thank you for adding that! Agreed - very concerning to take the child that isn't his. :(

If he had dropped off the child to a friend or family, I would think they would have been alerted by now with this in the news.
Another one punishing the mother with the worst thing a person could do.
My hope is that he has a connection with and loves Wynter. Praying he had a spark of conscience and dropped her off somewhere safe!! Her poor Mom, terrifying situation.

JUL 5, 2023
[...]

Trice is believed to have driven on the freeway from Lansing beginning at 11:20 p.m. on July 2. He is then believed to have reached Metro Detroit after midnight, and then Detroit itself at around 1:10 a.m.

He’s believed to have left Detroit around 2:40 a.m., and moved around the east side until his arrest in St. Clair Shores around 5 a.m.

Southeast Michigan residents and business owners who are along Trice’s believed route are asked to review their doorbell or security camera footage from overnight July 2 into July 3.

Police are looking for any specific information about where the white Chevy Impala drove, stopped or parked within those overnight hours. That information could help narrow down where Trice went, and where Wynter may be located.

Police are especially interested in where Trice had gone between 11:15 p.m. Sunday and 1 a.m. Monday.

[...]

*Oh no. Just no! What did that man do with Wynter?

Dozens of officers with a police helicopter are searching along northbound I-496, north of I-96, part of the path law enforcement says suspected kidnapper Rashad Trice drove the night Smith was taken.

A $25,000 reward has been offered for information that leads to Smith being found. If you have seen Wynter Smith or know where she is, call 1-800-CALL-FBI.

RSBM
Police are especially interested in where Trice had gone between 11:15 p.m. Sunday and 1 a.m. Monday.
Right now there is a nearly one hour delay on 96 just east of Lansing according to Google maps. It cites a “lane closure”. I’m wondering if LE is walking that section of highway looking for Wynter or is it a regular construction delay? Anyone local who can tell us that?
oops! Sorry @imstilla.grandma. I just saw your post.

*Oh no. Just no! What did that man do with Wynter?

Dozens of officers with a police helicopter are searching along northbound I-496, north of I-96, part of the path law enforcement says suspected kidnapper
Rashad Trice drove the night Smith was taken.

A $25,000 reward has been offered for information that leads to Smith being found. If you have seen Wynter Smith or know where she is, call 1-800-CALL-FBI.
The fact that a particular area is being searched makes me wonder if video surveillance indicates that little Wynter was no longer in the vehicle at some point. This type of intense search doesn't give me much hope that the beautiful child will be found alive. :(

LANSING, Mich. – It’s been two and a half days since an Amber Alert was issued for a 2-year-old girl who police believe was kidnapped by her mother’s ex-boyfriend after a stabbing in Lansing.

Wynter Cole Smith was reported missing around 11:30 p.m. Sunday, July 2. Her suspected kidnapper was arrested soon after, but as we pass the 60-hour mark since her initial disappearance, Wynter still has not been found.

Here’s everything we know about the case...

RSBM

Right now there is a nearly one hour delay on 96 just east of Lansing according to Google maps. It cites a “lane closure”. I’m wondering if LE is walking that section of highway looking for Wynter or is it a regular construction delay? Anyone local who can tell us that?
oops! Sorry @imstilla.grandma. I just saw your post.
It's scheduled construction - a long term project that has been ongoing for I-96.

Brief report about the missing child on WDIV noon news. Nothing new other than a comment from Trice's mother (Shon Trice) who says her son had nothing to do with the child's disappearance and that she hopes the little girl will be found soon.

He took her for a reason. If it was his own child I would have hope, but she’s not so I don’t.

What goes through these guys’ heads? Ya ya I know, to get back at the ex, torture the ex, cause the ex incredible pain.

She’s a baby. She had no part in any of this. And yet time after time it happens over and over again. Let’s kill the ex’s child. “I’ll show her!”

So now a child is most likely dead somewhere, the ex boyfriend achieved his goal, but at the end of the day, he’ll go to prison for the rest of his life.

I just don’t get it because the outcome isn’t worth it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mjinmidwest
Back