Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just checked out the Springfield Police Department site. Their timeline lists that Sherrill was "last heard from at 11:15 p.m. on June 6, 1992, when she talked with a friend about painting a chest of drawers. Levitt's car, purse, keys, etc., were left at the residence and it appeared as though her bed had been slept in when friends and police arrived to check the residence.". There is NO mention of the Apco sighting on their site.

Also, I've read that Janelle was BAREFOOTED when she went over to the house which is why her boyfriend swept up the glass, so she wouldn't cut HER foot.

The hardest of all crimes to solve, when there is no personal connection. It could explain a lot. And who knows the women weren't abducted/removed and driven states away?
dna has become these type of predators worst nightmare and it does happen all the time.

I often think of the case maybe others recall the woman who was heavily pregnant and she was bashed and rapped while her husband went to the shop.
she SWORE it was her husband.
turns out thanks to dna it was a random burgular who seen the hubby leave.
talking about 15 minutes.... a terrible brain injury and you got a whole wrong picture.

maybe one day there will be some evidence advancement with this case.
god knows we need something.
because all we have is the suspicious behaviour of mike and Janelle even though most of us agree that we don't think they murdered anybody just maybe not as forth coming as needed.
that is a problem and re interviewing all people still alive and connected with the new fresh detective taking up the case what really would anyone have to loose??

that is a problem and re interviewing all people still alive and connected with the new fresh detective taking up the case what really would anyone have to loose??

They could lose their jobs, their means of income to support their family, their reputations, their families and possibly even their freedom.
26 years later and most people connected to this case have moved on and might not want their names dragged thru the mud all over again.
What happens if the media gets word that they are re-questioning people about this case? They get their faces flashed across the TV and pictures in the papers and everyone starts talking about how they could be involved in a triple kidnapping/homicide.

You know that’s exactly what would happen.

Do you know how quickly they would lose their jobs? Try explaining to your boss how you need to take some time off because you have to go get questioned about whether or not you killed three women 26 years ago.
How quickly do you think their friends and family would start to distance themselves? How many new rumors would start to fly around?
No thanks.

They could lose their jobs, their means of income to support their family, their reputations, their families and possibly even their freedom.
26 years later and most people connected to this case have moved on and might not want their names dragged thru the mud all over again.
What happens if the media gets word that they are re-questioning people about this case? They get their faces flashed across the TV and pictures in the papers and everyone starts talking about how they could be involved in a triple kidnapping/homicide.

Do you know how quickly they would lose their jobs? Try explaining to your boss how you need to take some time off because you have to go get questioned about whether or not you killed three women 26 years ago.
How quickly do you think their friends and family would start to distance themselves? How many new rumors would start to fly around?
No thanks.
Hopefully there would not be a repeat of 48 hours. Interviewing people isn't the same as treating them as POI.

No thanks.
If your face hadn't been flashed on TV and the cops treated you like a witness instead of a suspect. Would you have acted differently. When cops do agro voice "like I'm in charge blah blah blah" it puts me on the defensive. And were the cops aggressive with questioning?

No thanks.
Agree!!

Yeah everyone keeps treating this like some Law and Order TV show. Like there’s some big gotcha that is going to pop up from re-interviewing. I’m certain cops know who did this and the reason there’s no movement is because the perpetrators have either died, in prison, one or two who know are silenced by threats, or they have influence in law enforcement.

I think Sherrill has gotten almost blamed at times for being single and attractive. I agree with you about rape being about power. Nothing should be ruled out but acting like she lived a risk lifestyle when there is nothing to suggest that, just seems wrong. I'm not saying you have done that but other people have.
When has anyone even described Sherrill as attractive, let alone blamed her for being attractive?

She may have been a very nice person, but she was an average-looking (slightly frumpy) middle-aged woman.

When has anyone even described Sherrill as attractive, let alone blamed her for being attractive?

She may have been a very nice person, but she was an average-looking (slightly frumpy) middle-aged woman.
<modsnip - profanity>. She looks fine. You know sexual assault has nothing to do with looks.

Last edited by a moderator:

She's either the divorcee with stalkers or frumpy and not rape worthy? WTF? Her life has been judged scrutinized, your comment now is an example of that. I would think Suzie and Stacy by the number of people they saw that night were more likely to catch the attention of a predator if the motive was sexual. Nothing on age or looks.

She's either the divorcee with stalkers or frumpy and not rape worthy? WTF? Her life has been judged scrutinized, your comment now is an example of that. I would think Suzie and Stacy by the number of people they saw that night were more likely to catch the attention of a predator if the motive was sexual. Nothing on age or looks.
First of all, the term "rape worthy" reflects your thinking, not mine.

Second, when has anyone ever suggested that Sherrill might have had a stalker? Nearly everyone has stated that if a stalker was involved, Suzie was probably the intended victim. That isn't "judging" Sherrill, it's simply playing the percentages; I for one have never heard of a middle-aged woman having a stalker. It's simply a fact that a woman Suzie's age is far more likely to have a stalker than a woman Sherrill's age. That's based on observing other stalking cases play out in the media and doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with "judging" Sherrill.

Many people have postulated that Sherrill was the intended victim for one reason: because she was the only one who was supposed to be home. No one who subscribes to that theory thinks it was a stalking case because, again, middle-aged women are seldom stalked by strangers. And, again, that has nothing to do with "judging" Sherrill and everything to do with looking for parallels to other cases.

Because Sherrill would have been such an unlikely stalking victim, people have looked for other possible reasons why Sherrill might have been targeted, hence the possibility that she was somehow involved in organized crime (a theory reinforced by LE's comments about her "poor choices").

I remember reading that a person of interest eventually changed their name? Any truth to this claim?

I can’t remember where I read it, and can no longer locate the post.

First of all, the term "rape worthy" reflects your thinking, not mine.

Second, when has anyone ever suggested that Sherrill might have had a stalker? Nearly everyone has stated that if a stalker was involved, Suzie was probably the intended victim. That isn't "judging" Sherrill, it's simply playing the percentages; I for one have never heard of a middle-aged woman having a stalker. It's simply a fact that a woman Suzie's age is far more likely to have a stalker than a woman Sherrill's age. That's based on observing other stalking cases play out in the media and doesn't have anything whatsoever to do with "judging" Sherrill.

Many people have postulated that Sherrill was the intended victim for one reason: because she was the only one who was supposed to be home. No one who subscribes to that theory thinks it was a stalking case because, again, middle-aged women are seldom stalked by strangers. And, again, that has nothing to do with "judging" Sherrill and everything to do with looking for parallels to other cases.

Because Sherrill would have been such an unlikely stalking victim, people have looked for other possible reasons why Sherrill might have been targeted, hence the possibility that she was somehow involved in organized crime (a theory reinforced by LE's comments about her "poor choices").
I'm being sarcastic because there isn't another good response. Fighting over Sherrill's appearance is a waste of time. Chill on the judgement. Rape and stalking do not happen based on appearance.

Statistically speaking, this is the least likely scenario. Look up the statistic on the FBI's website if you don't believe me.
I agree however statistically speaking, this is a crime that rarely, if ever (three adults at once with no trace or bodies) has happened. So typical stats and referential data points don’t help too much.

I agree however statistically speaking, this is a crime that rarely, if ever (three adults at once with no trace or bodies) has happened. So typical stats and referential data points don’t help too much.
They help enough. A cop didn't do this crime. I would be SHOCKED if I ever found this to be true.
I personally think that certain people were involved or had knowledge of the crime, and that police know exactly who they are, and that we'll be luck if any of them ever speak of the events of that night, ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot