Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Police said she only had about 800.00 in the bank. Paid her bills with money orders. Appeared to be living beyond her means. Doesn't sound like someone who was doing just fine making 30k., now does it. Unless she kept her money at home and not in the bank. Possible motive for the crime? Who knows. But the fact is, she appeared to be living way beyond her means according to police.
Police said “there are no signs Levitt’s finances are out of order.”

WOW! You have been missing in action for a while.

Welcome back..
Thanks. I've had to read all the posts since the "verified" people came on the board so it's been a while catching up. And I've been doing research on an unrelated project so limiting my screen time.

Also could have nothing to do with her, but her ex.

This was 92. Women trying to make it on their own were looked down upon still. Living beyond her means in their eyes simply could be a credit card. It also can mean she was just trying to build credit so she could buy her house. In reality women could not even get a business loan in this country without a male co-signer until 1988. That was a different time for single women.
Or it could mean that she had approx 700.00 in cash and checks in her purse. Approx 800.00 or less cash in the bank. Had money to buy herself a fairly nice car, and buy one for Susie too. Upgrade her HVAC system and other things she did to the house, as well as also pay her mortgage. Not to mention all of the utilities that would have come with that house. Women in the 90's weren't looked down upon and, had no issues getting business loans in the early 90's if they had the means just like everyone else who walked into a bank. Sorry, the 90's weren't the 50's.

Last edited:
Cant read the link. However:
"Sherrill appeared to be living beyond her means" Police said it. And in the same breath also said her finances didn't appear out of order. If one isn't true, then why state the second. They did the same thing when referring to MH. Sorry, but I believe the version that wasn't "Down Played". It's not like they didn't say what they said. Question is, why even say it, if there was a logical explanation.

Or it could mean that she had approx 700.00 in cash and checks in her purse. Approx 800.00 in cash in the bank. Had money to buy herself a fairly nice car, and buy one for Susie too. Upgrade her HVAC system and also pay her mortgage. Not to mention all of the utilities that would have come with that house. Women in the 90's weren't looked down upon and, had no issues getting business loans in the early 90's if they had the means just like everyone else who walked into a bank. Sorry, the 90's weren't the 50's.

Divorced women were absolutely looked down upon in the 90’s.

Again what is the reason for this line of thinking? If she wasn’t getting enough money with her job in your eyes are you trying to imply she was getting money in an illegal manner?

Regarding hairdressers and other people who live on tips: back in the early 70s, I had a summer and vacation job as a waitress in a very nice restaurant. We got a minimal paycheck but I had money all the time. Cash money. There are obviously problems living on tips, but a hairdresser in someone else's salon gets a good percentage of what the client pays for cuts, color and other services. But then there are the tips on top of that. And I pay my hairdresser in cash, plus a big cash tip, so it's likely that the money goes straight in the pocket. Today many people put everything on a debit or credit card but "back in the day" lots of people used cash. One thing about cash coming in every work day is that it makes managing cash flow easy. The paycheck goes into the bank for mortgage and utilities but the cash needed for a car payment (say) can be earned in a day or two if someone has a good clientele. And of course, Suzie had a job too. If Sherrill bought a house, a waterbed and a car--on credit--she probably had solid credit. None of that is extravagant or out of the way for a working/middle class person in the early 1990s.

Cant read the link. However:
"Sherrill appeared to be living beyond her means" Police said it. And in the same breath also said her finances didn't appear out of order. If one isn't true, then why state the second. They did the same thing when referring to MH. Sorry, but I believe the version that wasn't "Down Played". It's not like they didn't say what they said. Question is, why even say it, if there was a logical explanation.
Read what was actually written.

Divorced women were absolutely looked down upon in the 90’s.

Again what is the reason for this line of thinking? If she wasn’t getting enough money with her job in your eyes are you trying to imply she was getting money in an illegal manner?
Just quoting what was printed in the news paper. Knew a lot of divorced women in the 90's. The only issue they had was not having a job that paid well enough to afford a decent lifestyle. But the same could have been said for most of us. Minimum wage was $3.25 an hour in the early 90's.

Check out the last sentence.
They also state that "Sherrill was living beyond her means". I just typed all of this out in which I said that. Police then also came back, like they did with MH and his timeline and alibi issue, and back tracked like it wasn't a big deal. If those issues were big enough to mention in the first place, they had validity to them in some manor. Police just got caught with their foot in their mouths talking out both sides of their mouths. They said a couple things that they shouldn't have made public, and then down played them. They wouldn't have mentioned them otherwise.

And you win the trophy for victim blaming? There is no proof she lived beyond her means. She lived modestly by all accounts.
Relax already. No need to apply labels and lash out. No one is "Victim Blaming" here. Not by any stretch of the imagination. Only trying to disseminate fact from fiction.

Possibility doesn't equal a fact. Home repairs aren't exactly considered frivolous spending and as concluded using cash or money orders isn't a sign of anything important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member