Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #15

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is all interesting but the next time someone wants to discuss their conclusion then work back through the process at which it was arrived, I'm all ears for that as well.

From my research & having been there, here are a couple of my observations about the house.

The storm door & front door hinge on opposite sides of each other because of the way the house is built. Looking from the front porch the storm door is hinged on the left so the storm door will open out & to the left, leaving it to back up to where the wall juts out with the front room windows & leaving the porch clear. The main door then is hinged on the right so it will open in & to the right along the living room wall. With all the remodeling & with the addition of a little tiny room inside, the way the doors are hinged has not changed.

At some point the pole light in that corner between the circle drive & sidewalk was added, probably to better light up the steps to the porch. The porch light was wall mounted above the mailbox. Inside the front door was a typical two switch panel in the wall. One switch controlled an outlet under the front room windows for a table lamp. The second switch controlled the porch light. Whoever installed the pole light in the yard took the easy way out & wired it to the switch with the porch light instead of changing to a 3 switch panel. So the porch light and the pole light were always on or off together. When the house was remodeled later after 1992 the porch light was recessed into the soffit above the porch.

I was told by the former occupant that the porch light switch was faulty & sometimes clicked but couldn't be turned on & if on sometimes couldn't be turned off. You might have to click it back & forth several times to get it to work. When I talked to the property owner he could not verify that claim. So it is unknown but not impossible that if the perps tried to turn off the light when exiting the switch wouldn't turn off, & they tried breaking the bulb but only managed to break the globe.

Last edited:
From my research & having been there, here are a couple of my observations about the house.

The storm door & front door hinge on opposite sides of each other because of the way the house is built. Looking from the front porch the storm door is hinged on the left so the storm door will open out & to the left, leaving it to back up to where the wall juts out with the front room windows & leaving the porch clear. The main door then is hinged on the right so it will open in & to the right along the living room wall. With all the remodeling & with the addition of a little tiny room inside, the way the doors are hinged has not changed.

At some point the pole light in that corner between the circle drive & sidewalk was added, probably to better light up the steps to the porch. The porch light was wall mounted above the mailbox. Inside the front door was a typical two switch panel in the wall. One switch controlled an outlet under the front room windows for a table lamp. The second switch controlled the porch light. Whoever installed the pole light in the yard took the easy way out & wired it to the switch with the porch light instead of changing to a 3 switch panel. So the porch light and the pole light were always on or off together. When the house was remodeled later after 1992 the porch light was recessed into the soffit above the porch.

I was told by the former occupant that the porch light switch was faulty & sometimes clicked but couldn't be turned on & if on sometimes couldn't be turned off. You might have to click it back & forth several times to get it to work. When I talked to the property owner he could not verify that claim. So it is unknown but not impossible that if the perps tried to turn off the light when exiting the switch wouldn't turn off, & they tried breaking the bulb but only managed to break the globe.

Thank you. This should be helpful.

Do we even know if the porch light was intact before the incident ?
In other words , I know people with those style lights tend to leave the cover off because they’re a PITA to take on and off . ,

So perhaps Sherrill had changed a bulb and just sat it on the porch and it inadvertently got kicked and broken . And that’s why the bulb wasn’t broken .

Sounds like Nigel was one of the last visitors to Delmar . Who knows if she was observant enough to recall that detail today . Probably more distracted with cake .

I have set my DVR to record all People Magazine’s episodes. The 3MW case repeated at 4 PM CDT today. This will be the fourth time I will have viewed it.

I am particularly interested in Asher’s comments. He seemed genuinely confident the case would soon be solved. I wonder if he has been briefed on the case progress.

<modsnip: If you can't share it, don't mention it.>

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I'm confused.

Stacy called her mother to let her know she was not going to drive to Branson that night and that she would stay at Janelle's.

Are you saying Janis McCall erased phone messages on her phone?

Help me out here. Thanks.

------------------
The June 10 NL that says Janelle called her mother to tell her the girls would not go to Branson that night.

The first post of the thread 'Basic Information' states Stacy called her mom, no citation, but says the info was taken from police reports.

So it looks like Janelle and Stacy each called their respective mothers. Most probably from the Joy house.

Yes, they called from Brian Joy´s house. The girls and Mike Henson went to the Joy´s house around 8:30 pm. Joy said that the girls asked him to sleep at his house, and he said yes. Around 10pm we know FOR SURE that Stacy called her mom to let her know she would sleep at Janelle´s. But when the girls returned from Michelle Elder´s, they went to Brian Joy´s house and HE declared that the girls coudn´t
stay coz the house was full of people. Then, we know that Kirby invited the two missing girls to her house only to find out that they couldn´t stay there either. Strange, right? How is that Stacy at 10 pm called her mom and told her she would be at the Kirby´s but then at 2:00 am Kirby declares that they invited Suzie and Stacy coz they couldn´t sleep at Brian Joy´s house as he had initially declared?

Was the story about Janelle crying in the backseat of a truck on the day of the disappearance a rumor or was it in the newspaper (which can also be a rumor)?[/QUOTE

I thought it was in the police report. Not sure. What I know is that Bookout (the police officer) noted that Jannelle´s shorts were wet.

Yes, they called from Brian Joy´s house. The girls and Mike Henson went to the Joy´s house around 8:30 pm. Joy said that the girls asked him to sleep at his house, and he said yes. Around 10pm we know FOR SURE that Stacy called her mom to let her know she would sleep at Janelle´s. But when the girls returned from Michelle Elder´s, they went to Brian Joy´s house and HE declared that the girls coudn´t
stay coz the house was full of people. Then, we know that Kirby invited the two missing girls to her house only to find out that they couldn´t stay there either. Strange, right? How is that Stacy at 10 pm called her mom and told her she would be at the Kirby´s but then at 2:00 am Kirby declares that they invited Suzie and Stacy coz they couldn´t sleep at Brian Joy´s house as he had initially declared?

Assumption on my part: Stacy told her mom she would not go to Branson that night and stay at Janelle's instead so as not to upset her mom that she planned on staying at a boy's house.

Janelle also called her mom to tell her they would not go to Branson that night. (NL June 10)

Where did you find the info that the girls called from the Joy house?

It certainly seems odd but they were involved. Doubtful. Undoubtedly they were grilled by the police since they were the last to have been with them.

What intrigues me is why Janelle started calling so early. It is about 40 miles to Branson and the day was long. And to think she spent the whole day at Hydroslide doesn’t seem realistic.

While I do not believe they were involved, her actions that day even disregarding the sweeping up the glass and going inside, seem very odd.

Yes, water, water everywhere - the third hand account I heard at the end of that summer had them disposed of in a lake in the city.

It certainly seems odd but they were involved. Doubtful. Undoubtedly they were grilled by the police since they were the last to have been with them.

What intrigues me is why Janelle started calling so early. It is about 40 miles to Branson and the day was long. And to think she spent the whole day at Hydroslide doesn’t seem realistic.

While I do not believe they were involved, her actions that day even disregarding the sweeping up the glass and going inside, seem very odd.

Obviously, I do not know Janelle Kirby at all, but from the videos I've seen her in, she comes across to me as a... hmmm... "Daddy's little girl", the popular girl at school who would only hang out with the "right people". Needs to be the center of attention, etc.

Could she have been upset at Susie and Stacy for deciding to not stay at her house that night and instead headed off together (without her!!). Maybe she worried that they would go off together without her to White Water, and that's why she started calling early, to put herself back "in charge" of their little group.

Also, could explain why she was reported to be crying (in the back seat of Mike's car, or on the steps outside - doesn't matter), she could have been upset that her friends had, seemingly, taken off together and left her behind...

MOO

PS: was it ever explained anywhere the decision to NOT go to Branson that night?

“A young male friend of the girls has given various accounts of the
events he recalls between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. on June 7. He was one
of those who entered Levitt's house early in the day apparently
looking for the women. "We pretty well cleared all that up,"
Worsham said of the friend's accounts. "He was simply confused on
some times as to where he was." End quote.N-L 8-3-92.”

Of all the odd choices they made that day you add in this and it’s somewhat troubling .

In regards to the glass .

1) we did it to do a nice thing

2) I knew Sherrill wouldn’t like that

3) JK was barefoot , didn’t want to cut her foot .

It wouldn’t draw my attention so much if there wasn’t THREE or more excuses why it was done . It shouldn’t have been this difficult .

Why did ditch the glass across the road as well?

A bin inside or maybe they had a outdoor bin as well and yet you then decide to go out of your way to dispose of the glass. It again shows how their thinking wasn’t logical to the normal person.

Also there is no way Janelle should of still been wet at 9PM at night. What’s the weather like in June I’m betting it was hot?

IMO

Sorry to let the side down as I know that some whose opinions I respect greatly think quite the opposite, but the actions the next day on Delmar, when parsed, do not yield anything in particular in solving this crime. The doings of a group of - in the main - teenagers, half hung over from grad parties the night before, tell us only that, in the wake of a true mystery unfolding, normal people do daffy things - not that there's a cover-up in progress and that eighteen year-olds are pulling the wool over the coppers' eyes.

It was Jackie Johns in lake Springfield . That’s a GC reference .
It was a reference to 3MW from someone I knew who knew someone who knew someone, made in early September 1992. Third hand, though from someone who did know people in that particular biker-outlaw scene. And yes, you may be right, quite possibly derived from the teller using that aspect of the 1985 JJ crime to fill in the blanks. Also said the crime was about drugs.

Sorry to let the side down as I know that some whose opinions I respect greatly think quite the opposite, but the actions the next day on Delmar, when parsed, do not yield anything in particular in solving this crime. The doings of a group of - in the main - teenagers, half hung over from grad parties the night before, tell us only that, in the wake of a true mystery unfolding, normal people do daffy things - not that there's a cover-up in progress and that eighteen year-olds are pulling the wool over the coppers' eyes.
The "daffy" things that were done didn't add up to normal. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member