Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So scary when we hear about all these rapes, abductions, murders....terrible. I pray someday there will be resolution.

I think if there was a sexual predator he was the luckiest son of a ***** in the world.

........ Moreover, we have a crime scene that doesn't scream "random" or "violent" or the work of random attackers but in fact suggests that the assault was 1) planned and/or executed by an experienced, orderly type of criminal, not a random one; 2) conducted by an inexperienced killer or group of killers who got very lucky and left little evidence; or 3) the crime scene was cleaned up and to some extent staged afterward, so the shorts, the jewelry, the moving of the cars are all open to question. One thing for sure, the purses were left grouped in a way that would be unlikely, especially for smokers, and the dog was in the bathroom, where Sherrill would not have shut him in. That suggests that the abductor/abductors did not want interference from the dog—and did not think or care locking up the dog would point to an intruder but who made a decision not to kill it............

............If Sherrill were the target, 3 cars would have nixed that. She had a teenage daughter and that meant there would be lots of other opportunities to get her alone. Had a killer already been in the house, it's unlikely that the girls would have started bedtime rituals if there were a strange car or van in the driveway. It’s a very small house with one bathroom. The dog couldn’t have been in the bathroom when the girls got there because they washed their faces and prepared for bed. It’s possible that an intruder held Sherrill in the bedroom, the dog was loose, and the girls figured they got lucky not waking Mom up. But I see this as extremely unlikely. There would have been forensic evidence on Sherrill’s bed, even if it was just fibers and hair in those pre-DNA days because where else could Sherrill and an intruder been hidden? Most people with small dogs let them sleep on the bed. And we know the dog was loose........
Edited quote for length.

Can you clarify the dog issue? I have read on forums over the years that Cinnamon was locked in the bathroom, but where did that come from? In the Disappeared video, JK says "Cinamon was very excited, she was running around and she wanted me to hold her, like something was wrong" and then the detective immediately after JK' statement says "the family dog was left unattended".

I'm going to have to disagree completely here.

None of the supposed "proof" that the friends had something to do with it makes sense- on the one hand you're saying they knew exactly what happened and were able to clean up and stage a crime scene in a very short period of time on very little sleep, but on the other hand they were completely nonchalant about what happened, could care less, and went to the water park to have fun immediately after?

And everyone was able to keep a secret after?
I find that MUCH less plausible than the possibility they were targeted by a random predator.

Here's the thing- unfortunately a woman in this society has a very good chance of being a victim of sexual assault. Often the perpetrator is known to them, but often *he is not*. Women have a much smaller chance of being murdered by someone, particularly someone who isn't a romantic partner or relative. But I've watched a lot of cases unfold over the years, and I can't recall any where an entire family is murdered and "disappeared" by a group of their child's friends. I have seen quite a few where a killer, serial or not, has been able to control and overpower a family or multiple victims, especially in a home invasion scenario.

Are you familiar with high school kids, or do you remember being that age yourself? Plans are constantly in flux, there are "in groups" and "out groups" and drama and slights and embarrassments and insecurity and emotional outbursts *all the time*. I find NOTHING suspicious about a teenager wanting at some point to go home to the safety and comfort of home (as sad and tragic as that ended up being) if they aren't feeling physically or emotionally well wherever they are. Nothing horrible, or major, or threatening, or *anything* needs to happen for a teenage to decide they want to return to the comfort of their own bed, if only for a few hours. I would (and did, in my teens) offer all kinds of white lies and excuses for why I'd want to leave and go home. Things like not feeling well, stomach ache, etc. I wouldn't say I felt uncomfortable/uncool/rejected/weird/self-conscious etc. etc. or whatever the case might actually be.

As far as the chance of a random serial killer following them home being nil, this site wouldn't be filled with threads WHERE JUST THAT THING HAS HAPPENED.
Yes it's rare. Yes most people are going to have a much better chance of being struck by lightening. But it does happen!

If I were their friend Janelle, I'd be pretty nervous about giving an interview too. I'd probably have some form of PTSD, I'd be completely freaked out by the whole ordeal, and I'd be afraid because whoever took the three would know who I was now and he's still at large.

edited to add: for example here's one recent article about a serial killer/rapist who operated at least between 1990-1998, had multiple victims in the same household, and was able to gain entry without force. http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story...memphis-rape-kit-tied-to-serial-killer-rapist

The vast majority of sexual assault victims know their attacker. Often very well. If women often know their attackers, I would say they don't also often not know them. Not statistically.

I think if there was a sexual predator he was the luckiest son of a ***** in the world.

I agree. But there are plenty of disappearances--the Lyons sisters come to mind--in which a predator abducts victims and LE has a SKETCH and they follow the wrong lead. Even good investigators can miss things and get tunnel vision. And as we always go back to, the crime scene interference is one reason this case was not solved. Whether that interference was pure luck for the killer(s), or whether he//they had a hand in it, we don't know. But it's often the case that people who commit crimes hang about or troll for information. I've always thought the "unknown" calls that came to the house might have been someone checking to see if people had discovered the women were missing.

IMO If it was just the girls who disappeared, I could totally buy that it was their 'friends' and SPD would have too. And I used to think the friends had to know something but I don't anymore. And the only persons with a motive of any sort are the 3 grave robbers with a court case pending but as Pat Brown relayed to me, 'Suzie had some squirrely friends'.

IMO the unsubs knew what they were doing, not their 'first rodeo'.
One has already admitted to doing it, according to Michael C. Hawley (he's written a book about this and other cases) he has corresponded and interviewed 2 possible suspects concerning the Sprfld Three. Neither 2 men are considered 'persons of interest by the SPD.

Motive? Deviant sex. That's 'it'. Nothing fancy or mysterious but definitely horrible. And yes, tons of places in Missouri to dispose a body to include sink holes.

Not sure this link will open, its from an article by Michael Hawley concerning another case he is following. It's a replica of the van Larry drove to Civil War Reenactments.
https://www.facebook.com/1163594050...327927528921/1358327874195593/?type=3&theater
Facebook post by Mr. Hawley.
"Perhaps the most compelling clue that points to Larry Hall as a person of interest in the Hailey/Call case is this. Early that Sunday morning, Keith Call’s brother saw a dark van speeding away from the site where Keith’s car was later found. Here is a photo of a van nearly identical to the one Larry Hall told the FBI was his most secret place … a dark, teal green Plymouth/Dodge panel van. (He goes onto say)
"Call’s car was found at the York River Overlook. Their clothes were inside the car. So were their personal effects and money. Robbery was not the motive."
If you've followed the Spfld Three case, the above scenario should sound eerily familiar....

This concerns The Spfld Three case.
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/2002-flashback-three-missing-women-case-turns-10
"The only solid leads, one composite drawing of a bearded man, the only official suspect. And the sighting from multiple sources of a green van."

That's my attempt at adding references :)

This case has to be the most baffling case I have ever seen. I do believe that Hall was eliminated but it might be worth a second look. I think what would be most productive would be to go back to the original statements of the police and profilers. That last one indicated strongly that there was someone out that night between the hours of 9 PM to 6AM (paraphrasing), and his partner/wife/loved ones could not account for this activities.

I absolutely rule out the friends at the Battlefield residences.

What is not known is that Suzie had a special need. She had not been out to the Battlefield residence before. She asked Suzie to follow her because she was concerned she might become lost. Suzie had been to her house and would have known the route. I lived in Battlefield in the middle 1970s. It, of course, has built up a great deal since then but the county routes were curvy and if one was not careful they could become lost. Not all people have build in GPS locators to help them.

I don't wish to rehash what has already been said. But let me say this. I would not rule out a rogue cop.

Edited quote for length.

Can you clarify the dog issue? I have read on forums over the years that Cinnamon was locked in the bathroom, but where did that come from? In the Disappeared video, JK says "Cinamon was very excited, she was running around and she wanted me to hold her, like something was wrong" and then the detective immediately after JK' statement says "the family dog was left unattended".

I would like to know the answer to this as well! I can't seem to find verification that the dog was left shut in a bathroom either and it's been bothering me.

The vast majority of sexual assault victims know their attacker. Often very well. If women often know their attackers, I would say they don't also often not know them. Not statistically.

You are right, statistically speaking, that sexual assault victims usually know their attacker (e.g., domestic violence, date rape, etc.) But rape and abduction? That is often, but not always, a stranger crime, or a crime committed by distant acquaintances (e.g., Jessica Heeringa was abducted from the gas station where she worked by a sometime customer) or someone who lives or travels through an area but does not actually know the victim.

I will look for that. I just saw it the other day. Might have been in the police report.

You are right, statistically speaking, that sexual assault victims usually know their attacker (e.g., domestic violence, date rape, etc.) But rape and abduction? That is often, but not always, a stranger crime, or a crime committed by distant acquaintances (e.g., Jessica Heeringa was abducted from the gas station where she worked by a sometime customer) or someone who lives or travels through an area but does not actually know the victim.

I was referring specifically to sexual assault. I have no idea what the stats at on assault + abduction.

I also think the possibility they were followed from the party by people (or a person) they weren't friends with and/or hadn't met before. I think that is one scenario (among others) that LE has considered, and I believe that's the one they were trying out when they floated the message about people being unwilling or unplanned accomplices - it was an attempt to appeal to anyone who had knowledge or involvement in such a scenario.

I still lean toward this being linked to the other cases though because there really isn't much of a gap:
the first episode linked by DNA occurred in 1990. The last was 1998. Springfield was 1992 so the gap was only two years since the first established murder.

It's true that none of the other victims were kidnapped, but the killer's MO changed each time after he gained entrance to their houses:

1. 1990, Genevieve Zitricki, a 28-year-old , was blitz attacked while she slept in her apartment in Greenville, SC. The offender forced entry via the patio sliding glass door. Zitricki was beaten and strangled to death and found in her bathtub. The offender left a threatening message on her mirror.

2. 1997 The suspect knocked at the front door of the Memphis home and used a revolver to threaten three woman and a minor, Hensley says. He bound the victims before sexually assaulting the young girl.

3. 1998 Portageville Sherri Scherer, 37, and her daughter Megan, 12, were found shot to death.

Two hours later and 40 miles away in Dyersburg, TN, a white male approached a woman in her mobile home asking for directions. A struggle ensued and the stranger fired a shot through the door, striking the woman in the shoulder. The victim survived her injuries. The unknown male left the premises in a full-size van, possibly maroon in color. The bullets from this encounter matched the bullets used to kill the Scherers.----- also this woman who lived had children in the house at the time and authorities suspect he picked her house, like the Scherers, because there were children's items outside.

https://www.fbi.gov/wanted/vicap/homicides-and-sexual-assaults/unknown-suspect-12

It's interesting info and worth considering. But if a serial rapist/killer has "successfully" raped and killed multiple victims in their own homes on 3 prior occasions and got away with it, why would he go to so much trouble to try to kidnap 3 grown women and take them to a remote location before raping and killing them. Seems its far more risky to try to get them all into a vehicle and drive them somewhere, risking them escaping, calling out for help, being seen by friends or even getting pulled over by a police officer.

IOW, were the women taken out of the home for some reason other than rape and murder? Most criminals would have stayed at the home, right? Unless they were taken by kidnappers at someone else's instruction. I'm not sure of the stats or data, but aren't most victims of sexual attack kindapped when the killer encounters them in some public place, but less so when they're at home with no one else around?

I would like to know the answer to this as well! I can't seem to find verification that the dog was left shut in a bathroom either and it's been bothering me.

I thought that myself but upon further investigation the best information the dog was left alone in the house and not in the bathroom.

Other than the "Usual Suspects" that have been talked about, I've always wondered if the two guys who were convicted of abducting and murdering Trudy Darby at Macks Creek just north of springfield, could be potential suspects.

Trudy Darby was abducted from the convienance store she was working at, So was Cheryl Kenny from a convienance store in Neveda or somewhere near there (sorry can't remember exactly right now), anyway during Jesse Rush's appeals trial, which was denied, he had apparently told a jail house "Snitch" that if police knew "Everything" they had did, they'd fry them for sure.

Always wondered If they may have been in the Springfield area that night, and somehow crossed paths with the girls. Granted it didn't match the M.O. of the Darby abduction, but these guys were definitely capable of abduction and murder.

Just a though. You can google the transcript of Jesse Rush and read it. They were some sadistic bastards for what they did to Trudy Darby.

I've also wondered if they were involved in the abduction of Angela Hammons from Clinton, Mo. It was not far from where Cheryl Kenney was abducted, and Macks Creek is a straight shot from that area on the old highway/country road.

Just some thoughts. Anyone have an opinion on this angle?

I thought that myself but upon further investigation the best information the dog was left alone in the house and not in the bathroom.

Yea, because when JK told her story about when she and MH opened the front door, she was greeted by the dog who in her words, "Was happy to see someone it knew" what ever that meant. But she never mentioned the dog being locked in the bathroom.

The 3MW crime is really a case of “The Perfect Storm”unfortunately. There were so many potentialsuspects that LE surely looked at, and some that they still are I’m sure.
You have a physically abusive ex-boyfriend who Suzie tookout a restraining order on.
You have another ex-boyfriend who had been confronted bySuzie’s brother Bartt when she went to his apartment with her otherex-boyfriend to give Bartt his birth certificate when Bartt’s mother supposedlywas upset with him for the physical altercation that had occurred a short timeprior when Suzie and Bartt were sharing a house/apartment together.
Bartt takes off only three months into their disappearance. Why? And he’s is a very angry individual with a somewhat checkered past, withdrug and alcohol and anger management issues as evidenced by his posts over theyears.
Suzie’s second ex-boyfriend had been hanging out with StevenGarrison who raped the college student at knife point for hours when he brokeinto her apartment in the middle of the night in 1993.
Garrison told LE information things that LE had not releasedto the public, that lead LE to the Robb farm.
The Francis Robb Sr.’s 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Degree Murder trialwas originally scheduled to begin June 7[SUP]th[/SUP], 1992.
Garrison was supposedly friends with one of Francis Robb’ssons. Francis Robb Sr. was subsequently convictedof two counts of 1[SUP]st[/SUP] degree murder.
You have the very strange behavior of the 1[SUP]st[/SUP]people who entered the house.
And their strange stories.
LE said in the Aug. 3d, 1992 Springfield News-Leader that amale, who was one of the first people to enter the house the next day……LE makesthe statement that after 3-months, he has changed his story a couple times, andthat they have not been able to verify his alibi.
We know who they’re talking about…..if you think about whothe 1[SUP]st[/SUP] responders were.
A lot of the stories about what happened the night of theparty’s and the issues about where the girls were going to stay that night,their change of plans that night, and Brian Joy’s refusal to allow them to staythere that night, has never made any sense.
You have SA stating that they drove to BJ’s house, andwalked to JK’s house, where he states, “I saw them walk out to their cars, and that’sthe last time I ever saw them.” JK went into the house, but they never say ifMH was there as well. He should havebeen, he was with them that night. And……and this is a big AND, they acted inthe media reports like they just “Walked around the corner from BJ’s house toJK’s house. However if you look atgoogle maps, BJ’s house and JK’s house are over a mile away. Why did they not just take SA’s Jeep? Again, doesn’t make sense.

So my point is this, this crime has several strange twistsand turns, involving several people who would either be considered suspects, ortheir actions would have been considered suspicious by LE back in the day. I think one of the main issues with thiscrime not being solved is the fact that 18 people were in and out of the housebefore the police were called. Howeverthe police report only lists 8 or 9 people at the house when LE arrived. There is NEVER any mention of when or who theother 10 or so people were. They’venever talked about it. JK and MH statethey looked for them for a while around 1pm, and then decided to go to a waterslide in springfield, and didn’t return to the house until about 7pm. And the 8 to 9 other people arrived at thehouse at about 9pm. And LE was calledaround 10:30 ish. So when were all theseother people in the house if JK and MH were away from the house from 1pm untilabout 7pm? That part makes nosense. And add that to the media reportsthat don’t explain this issue at all, just adds more suspicion and confusion tothis crime.

Anyone have any thoughts on these issues????

When I think about the dog , something seems strange , the dog was kept alive,
from all the threads I understood that the dog barked probably during the crime , A bark attracts attention and this is the last thing the perps wanted, so they didn't shoot the dog in order to stop the barking becouse the shot will attract more attention, it was a small dog so they could hurt him in another way ( I am glad they didn't!) but they let the dog keeping barking.

It is strange that They kidnapped 3 women but the dog kept alive and was allowed to continue barking at such hour.

When I think about the dog , something seems strange , the dog was kept alive,
from all the threads I understood that the dog barked probably during the crime , A bark attracts attention and this is the last thing the perps wanted, so they didn't shoot the dog in order to stop the barking becouse the shot will attract more attention, it was a small dog so they could hurt him in another way ( I am glad they didn't!) but they let the dog keeping barking.

It is strange that They kidnapped 3 women but the dog kept alive and was allowed to continue barking at such hour.

That is a question that has crossed my mind. It suggests there was a rush to get out of the house. It probably stayed near to the front door as soon as the women left. There were also no other close occupied houses nearby.

Other than the "Usual Suspects" that have been talked about, I've always wondered if the two guys who were convicted of abducting and murdering Trudy Darby at Macks Creek just north of springfield, could be potential suspects.

Trudy Darby was abducted from the convienance store she was working at, So was Cheryl Kenny from a convienance store in Neveda or somewhere near there (sorry can't remember exactly right now), anyway during Jesse Rush's appeals trial, which was denied, he had apparently told a jail house "Snitch" that if police knew "Everything" they had did, they'd fry them for sure.

Always wondered If they may have been in the Springfield area that night, and somehow crossed paths with the girls. Granted it didn't match the M.O. of the Darby abduction, but these guys were definitely capable of abduction and murder.

Just a though. You can google the transcript of Jesse Rush and read it. They were some sadistic bastards for what they did to Trudy Darby.

I've also wondered if they were involved in the abduction of Angela Hammons from Clinton, Mo. It was not far from where Cheryl Kenney was abducted, and Macks Creek is a straight shot from that area on the old highway/country road.

Just some thoughts. Anyone have an opinion on this angle?

I keep forgetting about them but yes they should be seen as viable suspects to be eliminated as suspects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TRussell