Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im beginning to believe that Sherrill had not been in her bed but prepared to do so by pulling back her covers. Her bed was too tidy outside of the cover neatly pulled back and in CWD w/C Hanson, Janis says that Sherrills bed was made and appeared not slept in. Those ladies didnt make it to bed that night.

I was under the impression that Stacy had taken off her shorts and put her jewelry in her short’s pocket and it was neatly folded. Wouldn’t that indicate the girls did arrive?

It’d be helpful to know if Stacy always put her jewelry in her pockets when she spent the night away from home.

My daughter said she never puts her jewelry in her pocket (when spending the night with friends) b/c she's afraid of losing/forgetting where they are. Bathroom counter or makeup bag are my go-to places. There was a watch mentioned....a graduation gift. Was it Suzie's or Stacy's? Was it missing?

In the 48 hours episode (I know I keep bringing that up) Asher seemed very judgemental. When people say Sherrill was a private person it might be that she didn't have much in common with some of the married mothers and didn't want to be the subject of gossip. It can be hard to bond with people that you don't have anything in common with. It seemed like her profession was looked down on. Being a hairdresser isn't something just anyone can do. I don't understand that.

Amen concerning Asher....and what he said about Suzie that she'd do anything
to fit-in. Then flashed one of her Senior photos and labeled it 'kinda sexy'. Excuse me? Is that making assumptions? I don't know, could his comments be construed as 'victim blaming'?
But yes, at the very least, you hit it...'judgmental' concerning the 'Streeter' side of the case.
Hence the 'it was a hit' theories that still abound after 26 years. Sad indeed.

Nope. Go to Topix and read your posts. Hope that helps.

Perhaps you should go to this other site and speak for yourself.

That there are four obvious suspects is uncontestible. But there is another person I am most suspicious about. While I rule out Carnahan, I do not rule out Cox.

I’m here to discuss facts and express my personal opinions and I do not use other’s names.

If you wish to you might want to review the terms of service here. It is quite specific. One thing it makes clear is that multiple screen names are not allowed. I’m not accusing you of that but I know it has been done.

My daughter said she never puts her jewelry in her pocket (when spending the night with friends) b/c she's afraid of losing/forgetting where they are. Bathroom counter or makeup bag are my go-to places. There was a watch mentioned....a graduation gift. Was it Suzie's or Stacy's? Was it missing?
Stacy’s aunt gave her a Gucci watch and maybe a ring for graduation. I’ve never put jewelry in my pockets.

That there are four obvious suspects is uncontestible. But there is another person I am most suspicious about. While I rule out Carnahan, I do not rule out Cox.

I’m here to discuss facts and express my personal opinions and I do not use other’s names.

If you wish to you might want to review the terms of service here. It is quite specific. One thing it makes clear is that multiple screen names are not allowed. I’m not accusing you of that but I know it has been done.
Nice to know. I only use one though, and always have. Thanks.

Carnahan only lived about 2-miles or so to the east. You know that don't you? Where the porch lady supposedly saw the van turn around, because Grand dead ends into 65-hwy there, all they would have had to have done is turn south down one of the many side streets with out even having to go back to Oak Grove, and it would have taken them right to Bennett St., at which point if they had turned east, gone one block under 65-hwy, they would have then turned right into the subdivision he lived in. Wasn't it said that his wife was away that weekend. I'm convinced, and have been for a long time, that the Jackie Johns murder was not Carnahans first, nor last. And Carnahan had plenty of access to one or more of his fathers companies service vans.

After seeing the google map's street view of the Delmar house. I think for the first time I was able to get a sense of the surroundings.

The area seems a bit spooky in the sense that the house is situated so close to an alleyway and the back side of strip mall businesses. Also, not to mention the close by busy road. It seems that preditor(s) could have been lurking nearby and went unnoticed.

Whether the women were spied and followed at some point during the day/night of graduation or the perp(s) had been watching the home for days/weeks/months is a question.

From what I've gathered from reading the many postings here. It seems that between about 4 and 5:30AM a van entered the Delmar driveway. I believe a paperboy seen the van prowling the neighborhood.

One of the 3MW or the dog cracked one of the blinds to see what or who was outside. From the picture of Sherrel's bed, it seems that she may have swung the covers off to the side and arose very quickly. Maybe the dog was barking as well. One of the women could have opened the front door to investigate thus allowing the perp(s) to force their way into the home.

My theory about the purses is that one of the perp(s) may have been searching for the keys to Suzie's car as to move it over to the right of the drive so that a van could be moved up closer to the front door.

At some point, Suzie may have been forced to drive the van which prompted the sighting of her turning it around on E Grand St.

The newspaper stated that an old blue camper van was stolen in the area. Does anyone know if it was ever found?

Attachments

• 3a72534f2fbb17cf069d1342774748d3.jpg
    3a72534f2fbb17cf069d1342774748d3.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 22
Ibiz....this is about the stolen van found in Indiana. I find this rather intriguing.

This is a post by Indianagirl recopied from Thread 3, post #689:

This is the only information I could find about this van. There seems to be a few discrepancies in the reporting on the van, as the below articles' state, a "couple" had the van and it was taken from a "home".

VAN MAY YIELD CLUES IN CASE OF MISSING WOMEN
Author: By Bill Bryan
"A Dodge Ram van found abandoned in a campground in Indiana might be involved in the baffling disappearance in June 1992 of three women from Springfield, Mo., authorities said Saturday.
The 1985 blue van with a camper top will be processed by the Indiana State Police to retrieve possible evidence, authorities said.
The van, without its license plates, was discovered Thursday in a public campground off U.S. Highway 50 about eight miles east of Versailles, Ind. A computer check of the van's vehicle identification number by the Ripley County (Ind.) sheriff's office showed that the van was stolen from Springfield on the same day that the three women disappeared, said Sgt. Bill Davison of the sheriff's office.
Springfield police declined to give further details.
Davison said the van had been brought to the campground this summer by a couple who also drove a pickup. At some point, the couple left the campground, leaving the van behind, he said."
St. Louis Post-Dispatch
October 31, 1993

Police find no link to van, missing women Vehicle recovered in Indiana was stolen same time as abduction in Springfield.
Author: The Associated Press
SPRINGFIELD - "Authorities in Indiana have recovered a van that disappeared about the same time last year as three Springfield women.
But police say they don't believe it is linked to the unsolved abduction case.
"It's important because it was stolen around the same time as the women disappeared, and criminals sometimes like to use stolen vehicles," Capt. Todd Whitson said Saturday.
"But that's the only connection to this case. It is not a major break. " Sherrill Levitt, her daughter, Suzanne Streeter, and Streeter's high school classmate, Stacy McCall, disappeared from Levitt's home on June 7, 1992.
The dark blue 1985 Dodge conversion van was stolen from a home more than 20 blocks from Levitt's home sometime between June 4 and 9 of last year.
The van was found Thursday in a recreational vehicle park in Ripley County in southeast Indiana, Whitson said. The driver of the van was not located, another official said.
Indianapolis police will check the van for evidence and forward their findings to Springfield police.
Though Whitson does not fully discount the importance of the van's discovery, police remain more interested in locating an early 1960s metallic green Dodge van believed used in the abduction."
The Kansas City Star
November 1, 1993

Switching to the Apco sighting....I re-watched the 48-Hours video...the lady working at the Fast & Friendly store said the woman's hair was longer than the woman's in the photo.

#1. We 'assume' it was a recent photo of Sherrill.
#2. We assume LE re-enacted the sighting as in how many details you could see; from that distance, with the same lighting, at 2:15 a.m. and with the same weather conditions.
#3. We assume skies were clear at that time vs rainy.

In the 48-Hours video...the stores were side-by-side but not right next to each other.
And what a coincidence the older woman at the other store just happened to look over at that exact time.

Stacy’s aunt gave her a Gucci watch and maybe a ring for graduation. I’ve never put jewelry in my pockets.
That's right....Gucci....and were in her shorts pockets? Correct?

I don't wear a watch anymore...but when I did, I wore it to bed or placed it either on the bathroom counter or bedside table. I didn't realize how important habits could be.

After seeing the google map's street view of the Delmar house. I think for the first time I was able to get a sense of the surroundings.
My theory about the purses is that one of the perp(s) may have been searching for the keys to Suzie's car as to move it over to the right of the drive so that a van could be moved up closer to the front door.

Definitely spooky! Too many dark shadows for my comfort.

The outdoor light bulb was left on which I find rather contrary to help someone trying to be sneaky.
I suppose a large van could hide the activity from the Glenstone vantage point plus the late/early hour.

Carnahan only lived about 2-miles or so to the east. You know that don't you? Where the porch lady supposedly saw the van turn around, because Grand dead ends into 65-hwy there, all they would have had to have done is turn south down one of the many side streets with out even having to go back to Oak Grove, and it would have taken them right to Bennett St., at which point if they had turned east, gone one block under 65-hwy, they would have then turned right into the subdivision he lived in. Wasn't it said that his wife was away that weekend. I'm convinced, and have been for a long time, that the Jackie Johns murder was not Carnahans first, nor last. And Carnahan had plenty of access to one or more of his fathers companies service vans.

The problem with the “porch lady” is two fold. She waited for sometime to come forward and the timeline seems unrealistic. I was also informed by someone with LE connections that she was a “public tip” and not reliable. It appears the police were overwhelmed with tips that made it expedient to put out a questionable story.

Her bonifides came from her experience running a used car lot with her husband and recognized its make and model. However when I reported an identical one in late fall there was no interest on the part of the police.

I know all about Carnahan but do not believe he did this crime. I worked near his wife in the same office for several years and had the displeasure of being introduced to him in the elevator. She was to be blunt his “trophy wife” and for whatever reason chose to believe he was not involved, evidently. In the several years I worked with her, nothing ever leaked out and she had close friends and we got along well. To me that is a powerful argument against his involvement.

While he is a horrible individual it does not follow that he did this crime. I do agree, however, that he is likely responsible for other murders in the area.

As to what I may post on another forum I will not discuss my thoughts there on this forum.

I have said I believe there are four obvious suspects. But having had many contacts with one of them have concluded he was not involved nor his good friend. As to Cox, it baffles me why he would not be a suspect in view of his needless and false alibi. The suspect I have the most interest was never mentioned anywhere to my knowledge. I will not name him.

Her bonifides came from her experience running a used car lot with her husband and recognized its make and model.
The used cars connection interested some who felt people in that profession would have a connection to auto wrecking yards - one of the possible places the bodies might have wound up, in the car involved and into a compactor.

The area seems a bit spooky in the sense that the house is situated so close to an alleyway and the back side of strip mall businesses. Also, not to mention the close by busy road. It seems that preditor(s) could have been lurking nearby and went unnoticed.

Whether the women were spied and followed at some point during the day/night of graduation or the perp(s) had been watching the home for days/weeks/months is a question.

From what I've gathered from reading the many postings here. It seems that between about 4 and 5:30AM a van entered the Delmar driveway. I believe a paperboy seen the van prowling the neighborhood.

One of the 3MW or the dog cracked one of the blinds to see what or who was outside. From the picture of Sherrel's bed, it seems that she may have swung the covers off to the side and arose very quickly. Maybe the dog was barking as well. One of the women could have opened the front door to investigate thus allowing the perp(s) to force their way into the home.

At some point, Suzie may have been forced to drive the van which prompted the sighting of her turning it around on E Grand St.

The newspaper stated that an old blue camper van was stolen in the area. Does anyone know if it was ever found?
Yes, what chestnutexpressway said is correct. It was found abandoned in a camp ground in Indiana. It had been stolen from a local car lot, I think the same night the women went missing, if I recall correctly. I don't think that police were ever able to identify who had stolen and abandoned it. I do know that they didn't feel it was connected to the case. But who knows if it was or not. I've never been happy about the way they conducted their investigation. I personally feel that they should have focused on some of the people they were dealing with, much closer. I also think that police have probably talked to at least one person who was either involved, or knows much more about what happened that night, than they will ever say. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member