GUILTY MN - Barway Collins, 10, Crystal, 18 March 2015 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know for sure but I've heard that if you're a suspect your lawyer advises you not to search because if you are the one to find anything you're going to look guilty, like you knew where to look because you're the one that put it there.

I don't think LE wants family out there searching (suspects, searching for a body, anyway) either because LE will want to search the scene for anything that connects the family there and they'll have a harder time doing that if the defense can write everything off as contamination from when the family found them.

But there's nothing stopping the concerned family from manning the command center, walking the streets distributing fliers and serving hot drinks to the searchers on their breaks.

Off the top of my head I can't remember any case where someone who was named a suspect turned up to help in the search after being named a suspect. Even if innocent it might be a distraction from the search if tempers flare and there's an altercation .

Again, not much new information, but a good article. I'm glad community searches are continuing, and that today they are training the searchers.

http://m.startribune.com/local/west/298638101.html

From the article:
David Singleton, chief executive of Minnesota Community Policing Services, offered his group’s help to train volunteers on proper search procedures to preserve possible evidence. He was contacted by Missing Children Minnesota to work on Barway’s case. The training will be held at 3 p.m. Saturday at Cedarwoods Apartments, 5450 Douglas Drive N., where the Collins family lives.

Singleton said law enforcement has reservations about volunteer searches, because in some cases “they might do more harm than good.” He said he has talked to Crystal Police Chief Stephanie Revering and that she supports the training his group provides.

“I think the police are doing everything they can with the information they have,” he said.

Random thoughts:
Why so late in the afternoon (3 pm) to conduct training and search?
Approximately how many guys could the family consider "unçles"?
I keep reading about "in the Liberian community" an uncle can be a friend of family. Is that not true of EVERY community? Why the emphasis on- oh, there culture is different? I don't think it's rare in any culture for family friends to be given titles of auntie, uncle, grandma. Especially if there's not a lot of nearby family members.
What became of the $1200 from the vigil? I'm kind of surprised that there's been no mention of bringing Barways mom here or even interview her.
(DONJETA)- you said about a named "suspect" not searching or you couldn't think of one. I want to know if you can remember any past case where LE labelled anyone as a suspect so quickly? I can't, most cases I remember they don't say suspect until they're arrested. This one is so weird to me.
Lastly-I am dying to know what Mr. Singletons theory is.
OK , one more thing- is there any chance that the polygraph Pierre took was conducted through an interpreter? I would feel better about it if it had been, can't think of any excuse not to.
I hope Barway is found safe and sent home to his Mom soon (or some responsible family member anyway)

Yeah I don't know, usually it's "the family has been cooperative" until the bitter end. Maybe it's a function of whether the police spokesman thinks he'll be able to keep a straight face while saying so :p Or a pressure tactic: your game is up, we know you're lying.

The Haleigh Cummings case was one of the first I followed on WS and while I don't think they labeled anyone a suspect they did say early on that certain family members weren't telling the truth.

Good eye!! Very busy day for Mr Collins, I wonder if there's a connection or just a bad coincidence. Do you know what sort of work he does?

I believe the child support was for ex-wife who was not the natural mother of Barway. The mother still lives in Liberia. But, maybe PC thought he could collect from an insurance policy on Barway, assuming the insurance story is correct.

I believe the child support was for ex-wife who was not the natural mother of Barway. The mother still lives in Liberia. But, maybe PC thought he could collect from an insurance policy on Barway, assuming the insurance story is correct.
IF the insurance story is true that, to me, is very damning evidence. PC is legal father of 7 (?), appears to have no job that I know of and yet he allegedly buys life insurance on his only child that does not have his mother present in his life.
Another head scratcher for me: he changed his name legally from barlee smith to Pierre Collins. In the beginning I checked his Facebook and it truly seemed as though Collins IS his/a family name. Why the change? I wonder what his birth name was to begin with.

Quick update: I am at the 3pm search today. We just left the briefing at the apartments. Ex-wife is here, but had to stay in the other parking lot due to Pierre and new wife being at the briefing. There was someone in a dress coat going between the two parties, and talk about "preventing any fights". I can imagine tensions are high between the two.

It appears Pierre is heading down to where we will be searching, I'm not sure if he'll be active in the search or just at the command station. His new wife told another family member she will be staying behind.

Prayers for this sweet boy - I can't quite let my heart decide if it would be better to find him on a search along the river or not. :(

Quick update: I am at the 3pm search today. We just left the briefing at the apartments. Ex-wife is here, but had to stay in the other parking lot due to Pierre and new wife being at the briefing. There was someone in a dress coat going between the two parties, and talk about "preventing any fights". I can imagine tensions are high between the two.

It appears Pierre is heading down to where we will be searching, I'm not sure if he'll be active in the search or just at the command station. His new wife told another family member she will be staying behind.

Prayers for this sweet boy - I can't quite let my heart decide if it would be better to find him on a search along the river or not. :(
My daughter and I searched on the east bank of the river last night and I kept saying the same thing. I hoped we would find him but was glad we didn't.

Article about today's searches.

2 groups search for Barway Collins
8:37 p.m. EDT April 4, 2015

The search for Barway Collins continued Saturday with two separate efforts to find the 10-year-old who has been missing for two and a half weeks.

The first search was led by people who know what it's like to search for loved ones...

Well, today's search was highly disappointing. Yes, I'm glad we did not find anything terrible - I'm hoping against the odds that this boy is still alive. The disappointing part was the overall disorganization of the search. There was a huge lack of a plan, no one with real leadership leading the event, etc.

The plan was to start at the apartments at 3pm. I arrived at about 3:10 to find a number of media vehicles around a good sized group of people. I walked up to the group, expecting the "training" session to be taking place here. Nope. Just the organizer giving a few minute details and explaining to everyone how to get to the area by the river we would be searching.

We then had to all get back into our cars and drive about 8-10 minutes to the search site. What?! Okay, whatever. I could've done without the meeting at the apartment part. But get this.... The person who was supposed to do our training, and the lady who was leading the search didn't show up right away, so we all waited.... And waited.... And waited. Almost an entire hour later, they finally show up. The lady who organized the search and two "commissioners" who she touted would be a part of the search. They were both wearing uniforms that looked like police uniforms - and most people, including some media, believes these men WERE law enforcement officers. I've looked up where these men came from, and it looks like a non-profit public safety group? "Community Policing Services". They do some public safety work, mediation, trainings, etc. I didn't see any info on leading and participating in searches for missing people. I'm not sure if they've had previous experience or training with this before or not.

We were given basic instructions (don't touch possible evidence, take pictures of possible evidence and mark the location someway). These "commissioners" brought walkie talkies for each group of ten searchers. We split into groups and were told we were going to be executing a grid search, and were told a few random things about what a grid search was - and that searching a simple square mile can take 3 hours doing a grid search....

But they didn't tell anyone how to execute this, where groups should go or anything of the like. Off people went. The people we were in a group with initially moved too quickly for our pace, so we lost them (including the person with the walkie talkie) rather quickly. Whenever someone did find something, none of the walkie talkies were in range enough to report back to the commissioners.

I'm glad I went today, but am disappointed by the lack of organization. I know people want to find Barway and bring him home as quickly as possible, but we should be organizing and planning well executed searches to ensure we're doing the best we can to find Barway. It seems as though two of the bigger Facebook groups for Barway are kind of in an us vs them mentality (well, that wasn't OUR search, etc.), which is disappointing. Think of how strong we could be, if everyone just joined together in their efforts. :(

Thanks you Hockeystar113 and TC_MN for your search efforts. It warms my heart that you took the time to look for this little boy. :yourock: I'm still praying he turns up safe. Maybe and Easter miracle.

That's too bad, but unfortunately I had a feeling that would happen. When I saw that the community policing organization was involved I lost hope. To be polite I will just say I'm not "impressed" with what I've learned of them.

I will probably continue to just search on my own (with my daughter). I just wish there were more information from LE to give me a hint where to look next. But I understand why they can't say more :(

That's too bad, but unfortunately I had a feeling that would happen. When I saw that the community policing organization was involved I lost hope. To be polite I will just say I'm not "impressed" with what I've learned of them.

I will probably continue to just search on my own (with my daughter). I just wish there were more information from LE to give me a hint where to look next. But I understand why they can't say more :(

I was not too impressed myself.

Tomorrow I will be in the area again for Easter lunch, and may take a walk by the river with family as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics