Identified! MN - Blue Earth, WhtFem 183UFMN, 20-35, May'80 - Michelle Busha

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
wonderful!!! when the story comes out please post? i like to read how they figured it out.

They've added some details to the story http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...d-in-1980-identified-after-35-years/24901043/

On Aug. 12, 2014, as part of the BCA's effort to ID unidentified human remains, "Jane Doe's" body was exhumed.

The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children created a new sketch based on a new scull scan and x-rays from the original autopsy.

An isotope analysis on a bone and tooth was conducted by the Smithsonian to try and find information about her whereabouts at different points in her life.

Finally, BCA forensic scientists obtained a complete mitochondrial DNA profile and a partial nuclear DNA profile.

The DNA profiles led to her identity.

Michelle Busha with the BEJD sketches.

Attachments

• blue earth jd and Michelle Busha (IDd).png
    blue earth jd and Michelle Busha (IDd).png
    125.9 KB · Views: 300
They've added some details to the story http://www.kare11.com/story/news/lo...d-in-1980-identified-after-35-years/24901043/

From your article, more about Michelle Busha...

On May 30, 1980, Busha's body was discovered badly beaten in a ravine off Interstate 90, east of Blue Earth in Faribault County. She was reported missing in Texas on May 9.

It wasn't until nine years later that Robert Leroy Nelson, a former Minnesota State Patrol trooper, confessed to her murder and was sentenced to a life sentence in Texas -- for this and other crimes. Authorities say Busha was hitchhiking when she was picked up by Nelson.

Still, investigators were unable to identify the victim and her body was interred at Riverside Cemetery in Blue Earth.

It is sad that someone should have been able to connect the dots back in 1989, but 26 years later she is finally identified. Thank goodness for DNA and the national information!

RIP Michelle.

Btw, 2015 has been quite a year already for older UIDs. Wow!

Hoooly crap I was literally JUST on this Doe's "official site" after hearing about her for the first time. That's crazy.

So happy she's been identified!

Given that she was from Texas, it seems like the "Fidencia" Texas ID card may have been related to her. Perhaps it was her fake ID?

this is wonderful news. Blue Earth's Jane Doe has been a mystery for many years.
"Her name is Michelle Yvette Busha.

Busha was an 18-year-old hitchhiker when she was reported missing in Bay City, Texas, on May 9, 1980.

"The headstone reads, "Unidentified woman found May 30, 1980 near Interstate 90 East of Blue Earth."

(she was murdered only a couple of weeks after she was reported missing .... smh)

Some locals suspect there are other victims of Bob Nelson through the years.
I wonder if the ID is yet another (even though not deceased).

Maybe I totally missed it, but I never ever saw Michelle Busha listed on Namus/Charlie/Doe/TXDPS etc as a missing person. I would have already looked at her for Walker County Jane Doe (not saying it would have been considered a match but Michelle would have been known to me as a local missing girl related to Tx killling fields possibly). Articles say she was reported missing. Did I just miss it??????

This gives hope that one day WCJD can be identified. She's my "pet case". Someone out there is missing a sister, cousin, niece, hopefully they will come forward and report her missing.

Maybe I totally missed it, but I never ever saw Michelle Busha listed on Namus/Charlie/Doe/TXDPS etc as a missing person. I would have already looked at her for Walker County Jane Doe (not saying it would have been considered a match but Michelle would have been known to me as a local missing girl related to Tx killling fields possibly). Articles say she was reported missing. Did I just miss it??????

This gives hope that one day WCJD can be identified. She's my "pet case". Someone out there is missing a sister, cousin, niece, hopefully they will come forward and report her missing.

No, she was never listed publicly as a missing person. Apparently, she had been listed in NCIC, but that database is only accessible to LE.

Only a small fraction of missing persons can be found on any publicly available database.

No, she was never listed publicly as a missing person. Apparently, she had been listed in NCIC, but that database is only accessible to LE.

Only a small fraction of missing persons can be found on any publicly available database.

That is insane. The huge amount of missing persons on NAMUS etc blows my mind. To think that those are just a small fracation???? I can't wrap my head around that.

1. Soooooooooo do we just have to hope that LE/ME are looking at this non-public list of missing persons in old cases like WCJD???
2. Why aren't all missing persons cases made public, especially the old ones? What's the reasoning behind that?

I sure am glad y'all can school me on this stuff. I learn something new every time I visit WS.

[/B]

That is insane. The huge amount of missing persons on NAMUS etc blows my mind. To think that those are just a small fracation???? I can't wrap my head around that.

1. Soooooooooo do we just have to hope that LE/ME are looking at this non-public list of missing persons in old cases like WCJD???
2. Why aren't all missing persons cases made public, especially the old ones? What's the reasoning behind that?

I sure am glad y'all can school me on this stuff. I learn something new every time I visit WS.

The most common estimate I've seen is that about a tenth of the missing people are in the public databases.

The most common reason for not listing cases is that there isn't the manpower to go through the old records and enter them in the databases. In many cases LE agencies are dealing with cardboard boxes of paper records stored in some basement room in the courthouse. (A local agency that was trying to reopen several cold cases had to have hazmat suits and procedures to retrieve the boxes because of the mold and mildew levels in the storage room.)

I apologise as I'm going slightly off topic here, but...

Sorry, (cups hand to ear incredulously)... did you say only about one tenth?!

That's an astounding fact that made my heart sink and for a moment almost stopped me continuing on with this 'hobby'.

I can't begin to imagine how many people must be patiently waiting for a result (any result) in regard to their missing loved one when their missing person's report is mildew and cobweb covered in some darkened basement, slowly yellowing away. What a tragedy.

There must be some way a civilian task force could get this data processed into digital form before it's rendered completely useless.

I am certain that a crowd funding campaign to begin such a process would be well received by the public.

The most common estimate I've seen is that about a tenth of the missing people are in the public databases.

The most common reason for not listing cases is that there isn't the manpower to go through the old records and enter them in the databases. In many cases LE agencies are dealing with cardboard boxes of paper records stored in some basement room in the courthouse. (A local agency that was trying to reopen several cold cases had to have hazmat suits and procedures to retrieve the boxes because of the mold and mildew levels in the storage room.)

I think the most productive thing to do would probably be to organize a social media movement to get families with missing people to update their reports and submit DNA.

I think us WS members would have connected Michelle to the MN Jane Doe had we the info., especially using the date of missing to the "found" timeframe, matching her age and sex. MN had Jane Doe's dental records all these years too.

IMO, LE needs to let the WS folks assist more in these cases. We know what we are doing, we are a large group of concerned citizens, and we have more experience than many law enforcement agencies. I always go back to the UID in CA that was ID'd by a WS member, finding out she was from Montana, Utah, Wyoming (one of those places). Had it not been for the persistence of our member, this UID case would remain unsolved.
WS members have more time to devote to individual cases and don't have to worry about speeding ticket quotas .... oops, did I say that? JMO

I still think everyone's DNA should be entered into a database at birth. (I know this is a controversial subject)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back