MN - Dentist Kills a Tame Lion- Catches Heat, July 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey Everyone,

I'm having Forrest Galante the famed wildlife biologist and one of the most popular participants on "Naked and Afraid" on my True Crime Radio Show tonight at our new time 9:00 PM Eastern

Mr. Galante grew up in Zimbabwe and had contact on a personal level with Cecil.

Here is the best way to listen to the show on iHeart Radio.com tonight and every Thursday night.

The show is at a New Time, 9 PM EASTERN. It's an hour later than before.

Our
chatroom opens at 8:30 PM Eastern so go to www.truecrimeradio.com/chat and chat with us then at a few minutes after 9 PM Eastern click on the blue "Listen Now" at the top of the page. That takes you to iHeartRadio.com and "America's Talk'. I come on after the news.

Hope to see you at the show tonight and every Thursday at the NEW TIME 9 PM Eastern.

Tricia
PS. Feel free to post, tweet, yell out your bedroom window the show info. I would be ever so grateful if you
helped spread the word

The assessment of the role of trophy hunting in wildlife conservation
Authors
W.-G. Crosmary,
S. D. Côté,
H. Fritz

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/enhanced/doi/10.1111/acv.12205/

Thanks for posting this link. It is important to note that this study was conducted on large herbivores - i.e. grazers like antelope, zebra, giraffe, etc. Not apex predators like lions or wolves.

But there is this (BBM):
"Finally, the resilience of wildlife populations to trophy hunting may be species-specific, with less resilient species usually showing lower reproductive rates, more complex social organizations or whose body parts are illegally traded in international criminal markets (e.g. Bennett, 2015). Many threatened and endangered species fall into these categories. Allocating trophy hunting quotas for these species is likely not sustainable. These species are also often the most charismatic, and as they become more rare, their prices on the trophy hunting market considerably increase (Palazy et al., 2012). The sales of hunting permits for these species may be essential for the financial sustainability of trophy hunting and, therefore, to the protection of large areas of natural habitats (e.g. African lion Panthera leo, Lindsey et al., 2012; Polar bear Ursus maritimus, Weber et al., 2015). However, the dramatic downside of the sole marketing value for rare and endangered species could lead to a market-type speculation, creating the conditions for extinction under anthropogenic Allee effect (Palazy et al., 2012; but see Harris, Cooney & Leader-Williams, 2013)."

Cecil the lion's killer a good man, says Zimbabwe hunter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33787351

He said the case was "crazy" and the permits to kill Cecil the lion outside Hwange National Park had been obtained.

Of course he's going to say that. He's still got Dr. Palmer's $50k (IMO). What a ridiculous excuse!!! Why on earth would a permit to kill Cecil have been issued? He was unafraid of humans, he had a healthy pride and was healthy himself, he was an educational ambassador to a world far beyond his home range. He was collared and part of an Oxford University study. He would not have been a logical candidate to be culled for conservation purposes.

And he was lured out of his protected range and poached by some 1%er with more money than brains.

ETA All with the help of Theo Bronkhorst.

In his first full interview since the death of Cecil, the Oxford professor who knew the lion better than anyone speaks about the vast groundswell of support and how his killer is innocent until proven guilty

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-will-be-a-standard-bearer-for-our-cause.html

A few days into the trip Professor Macdonald noticed Cecil wandering off towards the national park boundary.

As I saw him walk towards the barrel of a gun, I was overcome with the terror that he was going to be shot. On that occasion he turned back and we rejoiced. But we knew then the odds were stacked against him.”

“I’m reluctant to say there was nothing special about Cecil. He was magnificent, but lots of lions are, and he is not the only lion to have left the park and get killed by any number of means. He is not the only one to have been killed illegally. After doing this for 20 years, we are hard to shock.”

“I come from a culture which says innocent until proven guilty,” he says. “If this man has been hoodwinked and now finds himself vilified because of the activities of people he hired, then anybody would have sympathy for him. However, if this was as illegal as alleged, then it is reprehensible and deplorable and the full force of the law should be brought to bear.”

From your link, Elley Mae:

Was Cecil's killing legal? The Zimbabwean Parks and Wildlife Management Authority said: "Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt." But the hunter Dr Walter Palmer has insisted he thought he was on a legal hunt.

Dr. Palmer can insist till he's blue in the face that he thought it was a legal hunt, but the fact is: Cecil was lured off the national park so that Palmer could kill him. Any hunting permit Palmer was issued did NOT authorize him (according to the quote above) to lure any lion off the national park. Cecil (and any other lion) was protected from hunters while within the boundaries of the national park. Palmer and his guides knew this, which was why they strapped an animal carcass to the back of their vehicle to entice Cecil to leave the sanctuary of the national park.

Palmer is trying to obfuscate the facts in an effort to justify his illegal actions.

Of course he's going to say that. He's still got Dr. Palmer's $50k (IMO). What a ridiculous excuse!!! Why on earth would a permit to kill Cecil have been issued? He was unafraid of humans, he had a healthy pride and was healthy himself, he was an educational ambassador to a world far beyond his home range. He was collared and part of an Oxford University study. He would not have been a logical candidate to be culled for conservation purposes.

And he was lured out of his protected range and poached by some 1%er with more money than brains.

Theo Bronkhorst said both he and Palmer were devastated after the kill, but Palmer still wanted Cecil's head and skin. So Bronkhost hid Cecil's collar, and butchered him. I feel they should have kept the body intact and promptly reported this mishap. I guess Palmer wasn't all that "devastated" since he wanted Cecil's body cut up for his all important hunting trophies.

Cecil the lion's killer a good man, says Zimbabwe hunter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-33787351

He said the case was "crazy" and the permits to kill Cecil the lion outside Hwange National Park had been obtained.

"I feel sorry for [Mr Palmer]. He is a good man. He did nothing wrong," he was quoted as saying by AFP news agency.

A good man who did nothing wrong. That would be laughable if it weren't so enraging.

Theo Bronkhorst said both he and Palmer were devastated after the kill, but Palmer still wanted Cecil's head and skin. So Bronkhost hid Cecil's collar, and butchered him. I feel they should have kept the body intact and promptly reported this mishap. I guess Palmer wasn't all that "devastated" since he wanted Cecil's body cut up for his all important hunting trophies.

They lured him out of the park to kill him and then they were devastated that they killed him? :floorlaugh:

All 3 of them belong on 'World's Dumbest Criminals'

They were so devastated they cut off his head, and tried to destroy his tracking collar.

Exactly. And in my opinion the airline that transported Cecil's head should be charged for aiding and abetting this illegal act.

No where in all this time and all this outrage has Dr. Palmer offered to return Cecil's head to Zimbabwe, which he logically should do since he now knows the hunt was illegal. He's just sorry he got caught, IMO.

They lured him out of the park to kill him and then they were devastated that they killed him? :floorlaugh:

All 3 of them belong on 'World's Dumbest Criminals'

Like I said before, there should be a special category of Darwin Award for these idiots.

It's insulting that they think anyone is buying their story. Money can't buy you class, or logic, or empathy or common sense, it seems.

Cecil's skin and head were to be sent to taxidermist before being exported to the US for mounting but he had been advised to hand it in to authorities instead, the guide said.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/cecil-lion-guide-devastated-after-6168971

Thanks EM.

Apparently it is now in police custody. The last headline I saw a few days ago implied it was missing.

"Had anyone tried to export Cecil's head, they would not have obtained the necessary licence for it to leave Zimbabwe. Plus, they would have probably been subject to intense scrutiny "given all the furore around this particular case", said Mark Jones, of the Born Free Foundation.

As it turns out, the head and pelt were seized by police when they raided the house of Theo Bronkhorst, a guide who has since been arrested.

The head and pelt were to be sent to South Africa for export to the US, Jonny Rodrigues, the chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, told the BBC.

He said they were hopeful police would return Cecil's head so it could be mounted at the entrance to Hwange National Park as a memorial to the lost lion."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33770923

And absolutely NO compassion!

Could this be a sympathy PR ploy by Palmer? I mean, there's no real damage. Just repaint the garage door and hose down the driveway. Even the words, Lion Killer, seem pretty innocuous considering. And using pickled pig's feet is an odd choice to make a statement with.
There are a very large and passionate group of animal activists in south Florida, some of whom are friends. We've been to various protests together. They would NEVER use dead animals parts (pigs feet) to make a statement. EVER. Which makes me believe that you may be right. I'm not saying that I agree with vigilantism though. Further, the house has been under guard and the moment the guards were not vigilant, the vandalism happened. I find that suspect.

Thanks EM.

Apparently it is now in police custody. The last headline I saw a few days ago implied it was missing.

"Had anyone tried to export Cecil's head, they would not have obtained the necessary licence for it to leave Zimbabwe. Plus, they would have probably been subject to intense scrutiny "given all the furore around this particular case", said Mark Jones, of the Born Free Foundation.

As it turns out, the head and pelt were seized by police when they raided the house of Theo Bronkhorst, a guide who has since been arrested.

The head and pelt were to be sent to South Africa for export to the US, Jonny Rodrigues, the chairman of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, told the BBC.

He said they were hopeful police would return Cecil's head so it could be mounted at the entrance to Hwange National Park as a memorial to the lost lion."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-33770923

Is this:
Cecil's skin and head were to be sent to taxidermist before being exported to the US for mounting but he had been advised to hand it in to authorities instead, the guide (Bronkhorst) said.

The same as this:

:thinking:

I'm going to have to go with 'no'.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper