MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #4 - Chauvin Trial Day 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
30m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Derek Chauvin in grey today. Jurors will be brought in shortly. Juror #15 will be excused. 14 jurors will hear this case.

28m
Opening statements coming in just minutes. Jerry Blackwell will give the State's opening, Eric Nelson for the defense.

21m
Judge is giving his initial instructions to jury before openings. With #15 dismissed, the jury breakdown is now 9 women 5 men. @LawCrimeNetwork

13m
Special prosecutor Jerry Blackwell now giving the state's opening statement

13m
Blackwell: Derek Chauvin betrayed this badge....

7m
Blackwell showing a timeline of the 8 plus mins.

7m
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
7m
#DerekChauvinTrial
Quote Tweet
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
· 6m
Blackwell said there were some movements that happened in #GeorgeFloyd's body when he stopped breathing. He said that is important because that happens to someone when they are not breathing. He was on the ground #DerekChauvin @LawCrimeNetwork

7m
Blackwell says #DerekChauvin is told twice they cannot find a pulse on #GeorgeFloyd @LawCrimeNetwork

7m
Blackwell - In your custody means in your care.

He says if someone is in police custody, police are supposed to provide care for that person.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

The 9 minute, 29 second video is being shown. First time I've seen more than a few seconds of it. Watching GF die.
[edited by me to correct time of video per prosecutor Jerry Blackwell]

Last edited:
Cathy Russon Retweeted
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
·
16m
Blackwell: You're going to learn quite a lot about MPD's use of force policies. "MPD employees shall only use the amount of force that is objectively reasonable."

Cathy Russon Retweeted
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
·
16m
Blackwell: MPD precluded from using more force than is necessary to bring a subject under control. We have an expert that will tell you #DerekChauvin used lethal force. Floyd was handcuffed, not resisting.

Cathy Russon Retweeted
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
·
16m
Blackwell: an officer who arrived after this happened will testify the force should have stopped once Floyd was on the ground

15m
Blackwell tells jurors that Chauvin's last day on the force was May 26, 2020. There was a ruling prior to trial that they couldn't say he was "fired".

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
11m
#DerekChauvinTrial - Blackwell - No evidence that #GeorgeFloyd knew the $20 was counterfeit. @LawCrimeNetwork
Quote Tweet
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
· 10m
Blackwell: you will learn this is about a counterfeit $20 bill. There's no evidence #GeorgeFloyd used it on purpose. The officers could have written him a ticket. It's a minor offense. Now outlining charges of 2nd degree murder, 2nd degree manslaughter, 3rd degree murder

5m
Blackwell showing jurors this screenshot explaining who each bystander is and what they will testify to. Darnella Frazier, in the royal blue pants took the now viral video.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

The 8 minute video is being shown. First time I've seen more than a few seconds of it. Watching GF die.

And here I go.. back over the fence as to which charge I would give Chavin out of the three.

And YES, I appreciate when/if folks say guilty .. point to which of the 3 charges.

Note to self... I'm an old bitty.. and retired and live alone with my flowers.

I'm back to the side of the fence where I would charge the officer in my mind..I had forgotten that he even pointed his ?Mace?. Have no idea in rl what I would do... yet in my mind I'm charging the situation.

ETA: Others say that this prosecutor is too ?quiet? can't recall as in/out here. But I think is well done that he's not an animated, loud prosecutor for this opening statement.

For folks that want to follow facts..

MOO

Last edited:
It is utterly shocking watching this. My heart is breaking for his family.

Poor soul had clearly peed himself while being held down. Actually makes me feel sick to see that 9.29 he was restrained for. Those people tried to help. What else could anyone have done. so so awful

Derek Chauvin didn't let up on #GeorgeFloyd ... Because he felt the power he had and when the bystanders begged him to let up...he pressed harder, he wasn't going to let anyone tell him what to do, no matter what.

I saw that too. He was rocking adding his weight and putting his hand in his pocket to add further weight. To me he was purposefully putting more pressure on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver