MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #4 - Chauvin Trial Day 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dang I missed that he actually sprayed the pepper spray!
That's what I thought when I first saw the video. I haven't been able to see it again yet. I don't have tv so I'll have to watch it later. I also thought there was some mention of the officers using pepper spray or mace in the arrest documents. While they were in the police vehicle with Floyd, maybe? We'll have to wait and see. I'm just relying on my memory now. Imo

Whoa! (This is verbatim per me per live feed, as was gardening through headphones and came back in for rewind to do VERBATIM as I was WTF!!!)

Just now defense is saying that officers

"saw a growing crowd that they perceived as a threat..they were called names.. they are screaming at them, causing the officers to divert their attention from the care of Mr. Flyod to the threat that was in front of them" (that is quote, from YouTube rewind per me)

"...............did more than needed perhaps due to threats of bystanders yelling stuff at them... and that influenced to protect themselves."

Ummm ummm ummmm... okie dokie.. NOT

Back out to listen while gardening while I want to throw computer...

Last edited:
Wow Nelson says the crowd was a threat! The crowd diverted the officers attention from caring for George Floyd!! Chauvin was forced to react in a high stress use of force situation. What?! A use of force BY HIM! He created the stress!

Blackwell said Chauvin had his knee on Floyd's neck for 9 minutes and 29 seconds, contrary to the widely reported estimate of 8 minutes and 46 seconds. Blackwell provided jurors with a visual timeline of that period, pointing to when bystanders attempted to intervene and when Floyd spoke his last words.

"You will see that he does not let up and he does not get up, even when Mr. Floyd doesn't have a pulse," Blackwell said. "You can believe your eyes. It's homicide. It's murder."

As the video played, Chauvin sat in the courtroom, taking notes on a yellow legal pad and occasionally looking up at the screen.

Derek Chauvin trial live: Video of George Floyd death shown

Why you hear the prosecutor saying 9 minutes 29 seconds, not 8 minutes 46 seconds

In the May 29 arrest complaint against Chauvin, prosecutors with the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office, which originally handled the case before it was turned over to the state attorney general, said the former officer had his knee on Floyd’s neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds, citing police body-camera footage that had not yet been made public. But some media organizations questioned this calculation, pointing to time stamps of the video mentioned in the arrest complaint, and a spokesman for the county attorney later amended the time to 7 minutes and 46 seconds.

But police body-camera footage released publicly in July showed Chauvin held his knee on Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes, a calculation later reaffirmed by Cahill, who timed it at more than 9 minutes and 20 seconds in a ruling in the fall.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/03/29/chauvin-trial-live-updates/

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
4m
#DerekChauvinTrial
Quote Tweet
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
· 5m
Nelson: you will hear about the training MPD officers receive including prone positions, rapidly evolving decisions, crowd control, medical intervention, crisis intervention @LawCrimeNetwork

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
5m
#DerekChauvinTrial
Quote Tweet
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
· 5m
Nelson: You will hear that Chauvin did exactly what he was trained to do. You will hear in 2nd search of squad 320, pills were found that were consistent with pills found in GF's Mercedes-Benz which leads to Hennepin Co. Medical Center @LawCrimeNetwork

3m
Nelson says Chauvin did exactly what he was trained to do, saying the use of force is not attractive but necessary component of the job.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Sorry, I don't buy it. Chauvin looks anything but stressed in the video. To me, his expression is more like daring someone, like the crowd, to do something to stop him.

MOO
Daring them, but knowing there wasn't anything they could do about it. The crowd wasn't screaming at them, they were pleading with them.

All this time I couldn't bring myself to watch the video, but I watched it in the DAs opening statement.

I am very interested in seeing all of the video evidence available from the time George entered the store, and when he was in the Mercedes including when he was first arrested then put in the police car before the Chavin video.

This should be one of the most interesting trials I've followed lately.

Rarely is the DA, and defense equally excellent adversaries.

May justice be done.

Jmho

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
4m
#DerekChauvinTrial
Quote Tweet
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
· 5m
Nelson: you will hear about the training MPD officers receive including prone positions, rapidly evolving decisions, crowd control, medical intervention, crisis intervention @LawCrimeNetwork

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
5m
#DerekChauvinTrial
Quote Tweet
Angenette Levy
@Angenette5
· 5m
Nelson: You will hear that Chauvin did exactly what he was trained to do. You will hear in 2nd search of squad 320, pills were found that were consistent with pills found in GF's Mercedes-Benz which leads to Hennepin Co. Medical Center @LawCrimeNetwork

3m
Nelson says Chauvin did exactly what he was trained to do, saying the use of force is not attractive but necessary component of the job.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson
Since when is it necessary to continue to restrain a man with no pulse?

"You’re going to learn in this case a lot about what it means to be a public servant and have the honor of wearing this badge," Special Assistant Attorney General Jerry Blackwell said in his opening statements. "You will learn that on May 25, 2020, Mr. Derek Chauvin betrayed this badge when he used excess and unreasonable force upon the body of Mr. George Floyd."

Updates: Defense says case is 'clearly more than 9 minutes and 29 seconds'

Defense attorney Eric Nelson told the jury,
"In this case you will learn that the evidence has been collected broadly and expansively," noting that nearly 50 case agents from Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension and more than two dozen FBI agents assisted in the investigation.

"This case is clearly more than 9 minutes and 29 seconds," Nelson said.

Nelson also spoke of the medical examiner's findings and that Floyd's body had "none of the tell-tale signs of asphyxiations."

Concluding his remarks, Nelson said to the jury "When you review the actual evidence and when you hear the law and apply reason and common sense there will only be one just verdict and that is to find Mr. Chauvin not guilty."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cryptocloud155