MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #4 - Chauvin Trial Day 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s interesting that the dispatcher used the word “snitch.” And made her voice very cheerful when calling the seargent to report a concern. Goes to show the culture

I talk quick when I am nervous and especially if I am not sure if I should say something.. her perception and instinct told her it wasn’t right. That is all open to individuals interpretation..!

I talk quick when I am nervous and especially if I am not sure if I should say something.. her perception and instinct told her it wasn’t right. That is all open to individuals interpretation..!

That’s my point. She shouldn’t have to feel trepidatious, but she did because of the culture. She’s brave.

Derek Chauvin trial live: 1st witness called after Floyd video shown

Two hours after the opening of court Monday morning, the prosecution called its first witness: Jena Lee Scurry, a 911 dispatcher who was working the day of Floyd's death and alerted a supervisor that something was awry in the incident.

Prosecutor Matthew Frank showed video from the street camera of the sidewalk and street outside of Cup Foods, where Floyd was arrested. Scurry said she remembered looking up at her screen and seeing portions of the live feed from city surveillance videos. She said she remembered seeing Floyd in the cop car. Later, she looked up and saw Floyd was on the ground, and the people in the video did not appear to move for a period of time, Scurry said.

"I first asked if the screens had frozen because it hadn't changed," Scurry said, adding, "I became concerned that something might be wrong ... it was a gut instinct of, in the incident, something's not going right."

Scurry said she called a supervisor. "If this was a form of use of force, I was calling to let them know," she said.

Frank then asked: "Have you ever, prior to that date, made a call like that to a sergeant?"

"No," Scurry replied.

Frank played the court a recording of the call Scurry made to the sergeant, where she can be heard saying, "You can call me a snitch if you want to ... I don’t know if they have used force or not. They got something out of the squad (car) and all of them sat on this man."

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the prosecutors preamble questioning of the dispatcher was excessively long, boring and quite a bit of it unnecessary. He could have made his point much quicker without dragging the jury through that yawner.
Imo, I think he was trying to drive home to the jury that the image the dispatcher saw on the video was way out of line based on her experience, and he wasn't getting that from her, so he dragged it on in hopes that he would.

Imo, I think he was trying to drive home to the jury that the image the dispatcher saw on the video was way out of line based on her experience, and he wasn't getting that from her, so he dragged it on in hopes that he would.

I agree, that it just wasn't enough. I applaud her actions, being brave enough to call the supervisors attention to her gut feelings on something that doesn't appear right. We have heard it before..."See something, say something". Bravo to her! The questioning however went flat. Cross should prove interesting, if Nelson is allowed to question her on how many " take down's" has she watched. Or, does she know procedure for take down's. And, did she know what type of influence Mr Floyd was under?

I agree, Katy. There simply is no need for him to do so. I don't even understand why he's even there at this time. Now if he wants to quietly sit in the courtroom listening to the trial that's understandable.

I trust the jury to do the right thing once hearing all of the evidence presented. I also trust the DA to do his job.

I don't understand why others can't just let justice take it's course.

There isn't any reason to incite the passions of anyone especially when the trial has just begun. The prosecutor is excellent in laying out the case.

If the jurors see Sharpton already there they may feel intimidated, and fearful. No jury should feel intimidated or fearful even one as sad as George's.

Plus it gives the defense more appellate issues if the defendant is convicted.

I'm sure the DA wishes they wouldnt do this either, and wishes they'd just let him do his job.

Jmho
To me, Sharpton missing out on this would be like the Homecoming Queen missing the high school prom.
He has every right to be there, and IMO he's front and center to send a subliminal message that the jury best return a verdict of guilty. Not that it's going to make a huge difference, because short of the death penalty, I expect the riots to start at sundown the last day of the trial.

In regards to the press conference before the trial, they have every right to say whatever they want. The only thing that would have changed that, would have been a Non Disclosure Agreement where as discussing the settlement/civil trial would have been off limits. However, if that would have been agreed to, it would have defeated the entire reason the City Counsel settled when and for the amount that they did. IMO, the city counsel caved, settled, and wanted everyone to know that ahead of the trial, in hopes their city would not burn. Good luck with that.

It’s interesting that the dispatcher used the word “snitch.” And made her voice very cheerful when calling the seargent to report a concern. Goes to show the culture

Yes, my family member is 911 and this is, I would think, making her so proud that she noticed on her screen and called such in. It's remarkable how they compartmentalize stuff and appear "cheerful" vs. OMG WTF!!!! It's amazing the stories I have heard which is similar.

Moo.. not speaking for family member; I could never be cheerful and etc which she does in her job everyday.

I don't have any animosity against defense attorney Nelson. He is there to rigorously defend his client, and I'm sure he will do so.

If we didn't have defense attorneys representing defendants then the wheels of justice wouldn't ever turn.

Jmho

Nelson needed to have these times ready. He’s looking disorganized right now. He even turned around to ask his assistant if a certain time stamp was correct! Yikes! State got impatient and agreed to stipulate to “move things along.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89