MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I HATE those questions! Especially about something so important. I know it’s a strategy and they do it all the time, but I felt her struggle trying to answer and I think I wouldn’t have been able to do it either. Grrrrrrr!

The witnesses have to get smart and say "Well, it is yes and no". (Or no and yes.) Then they should be allowed to expand on their answer.

If you saw that video, you will see that they finally SHOVED him face down lodging him into the floorwell of the back seat. I would go nuts if that was done to me, and certainly is not a deescalation. If they thought he was on drugs... not the tone to deescalate. MOO
Yes, and that was after he told them he was scared, had anxiety, asked for help, told them he couldn't breathe, fell down, and said he was claustrophobic. I think I would have had a panick attack myself if I was sitting in my car and suddenly an officer stuck a gun in my face. I think that terrified him from the start.

From the last thread (I don't know how to bring over):
Tippy Lynn wrote:
"Speaking of training.

The Minnesota Police Department included instructions on how to use a controversial neck restraint in its training manual, according to court documents, the same type of restraint that was used on George Floyd.
The Minneapolis Police Department trained its officers to use the neck restraint that led to George Floyd's killing, according to court documents."

From the same article, the manual states that:

The training manual, issued to all new officers, also features an image of how to execute the neck restraint. "Ok they are in handcuffs now what," the title above the image states. The department warns that "sudden cardiac arrest typically occurs immediately following a violent struggle." It also advises officers to "place the subject in the recovery position to alleviate positional asphyxia" and encourages officers to call emergency services once the suspect is in handcuffs. The Minneapolis Police Department trained its officers to use the neck restraint that led to George Floyd's killing, according to court documents

If the new recruits had this manual, they would have been trained that he should have been in the recovery position. If Chauvin was trained, he should have known the dangers and placed him in the recovery position and checked vitals.

Lane knew it and asked, IIRC twice. He was "overridden" by the senior officer MOO

IMO, the judge in this case recognizes the amount of scrutiny he is under. He may not be happy that he was forced to reconsider the whole 3rd degree charge. He is taut sounding with lawyers and referred to the questioning/objections as fighting on a number of occasions during the proceedings. I think he knows that this case is a powder keg and the scrutiny will be unrelenting on all sides.

The EMT and all who witnessed Mr. Floyd's death have a great burden to bear. Seeing a person die of unnatural causes can be traumatizing. If people hear someone begging for their life and then it is snuffed out, the feelings of guilt, shame, and anger can be overwhelming. I was on the scene of a one car accident where two teenagers were killed instantly. I heard the bang and was there within seconds. Another motorist and I tried to render aid. It was clear that these men were dead. We were frantic to change the course for at least one of them. Even in that situation, knowing what I knew about rendering aid, the vision of that scene is relived on a regular basis--when I pass another accident, or when I pass that stretch of road, or when I am in a quiet, setting outdoors and birds are not chirping and all is still. These deaths, although violent, were not at the hands of someone I watched being indifferent to humanity. These witnesses didn't ask to be Mr. Floyd's voice but they are with all of the pain and sadness that testifying brings. One young woman said yesterday that she thinks of Mr. Floyd every night and what could have been different-- at 18, that is a major burden to bear.

Does anyone have at their fingertips the witness list PDF. I'm searching, but too hard to find with the search word "witness" in this thread lol.

TIA if someone can post a link without searching too much.

I think the Defense should back off the "angry mob" route. Epic fail IMO.

I think the defense is struggling to find its footing. I think it is hard to get an angle that is favorable at this point in the testimony. They are risking getting into the stereotypes which I think is very dangerous to their position. When it comes to the toxicology, I think they have more options for creating doubt.

The video of their client kneeling in what appears to be very nonchalant is hard to overcome. He doesn't look scared or uncomfortable in those videos or stills. This is what these witnesses saw and are telegraphing in their testimony. Not many people would stay calm in the face of what they saw.

I agree that the angry mob route is not one that will sway the jury. The officers were protected by the car, not a single one called for back-up in the face of the crowd, and Tao could have increased the perimeter if he felt his coworkers were in danger. A nine year old is not a threat either.

We are live.. recalling Ms. Firefighter from yesterday.

She has been talked to! So far her answers are (these are verbatim!)

One question by defense, did you show your ID when on scene to ID yourself as Mn firefighter
No sir

Now.. on to prosecution for rehabilitation!!!!
No sir (as to if she had ID on her)
No sir
Correct
No sir (re fluid on street, if not bodily fluid, would it change your assessment of his medial needs)
Yes sir (did you believe he needed medical attention)
Not that I remember (other than ofcr Tao, did the other officers talk to you)
Not that I remember (did any of the officers tell you they had an ambulance coming)
No (did any offcrs tell you we have fire department coming)
Correct
Correct
Correct
Correct
etc..................

Last edited:
Does anyone have at their fingertips the witness list PDF. I'm searching, but too hard to find with the search word "witness" in this thread lol.

TIA if someone can post a link without searching too much.
I was going to ask about that, too. I would like to know if the manager at the club who said Chauvin was aggressive or used excessive force on African American nights is going to testify.

Minneapolis Firefighter Genevieve Hansen is back on the stand this morning.

Eric Nelson says he only has one question left...did you show any identification showing your a firefighter at the scene? She says no.

After a few follow up questions from Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank, Hansen is dismissed.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1377268698378031104?s=21

Who was it that predicted the yes sir, no sir answers from Ms.Hansen today?!?! You were spot on! She was in and out quick. I felt really bad for her. That was embarrassing yesterday. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UncleGrump