MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 *officers charged* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am here @Chelly - in about 1/2 hour - you can take over - okay? :)

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
33m
WATCH LVIE: #DerekChauvinTrial continues with the next potential juror. Only one more needed to have a full jury. @LawCrimeNetwork

Chauvin.jpg

18m
PJ109 Male. Since filling out questionnaire he's attended two protests. One was near where he lived, he went out of curiosity and safety concerns since it was near his neighborhood. The other was with a friend, marched, didn't carry a sign.

16m
PJ 109 heard about the settlement and though it was a "dumb move" on the part of the city's regarding timing. Says he can remain unbias.

13m
PJ109 - the second protest he went to was protesting at WCCO who has a reporter married to Bob Kroll who is Mpls. Police Union President

13m
*Former* union president @LawCrimeNetwork
Quote Tweet
Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
· 12m
#DerekChauvinTrial - PJ109 - the second protest he went to was protesting at WCCO who has a reporter married to Bob Kroll who is Mpls. Police Union President @LawCrimeNetwork

11m
#DerekChauvinTrial - PJ109 previously served on a jury. He didn't deliberate, he was an alternate.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Possible Legal Change of Venue?
@lonetraveler bbm sbm Thanks for clarifying, because I read your earlier post literally, as saying you thought it could actually be moved to another state.

From what @SouthAussie said (about 10 posts back), moving trial to another country would not remove the prejudicial publicity issue from jury selection.

How about moving to another planet? Or galaxy far, far away? ;):eek::rolleyes: j/k, j/k.
I'm not addressing the physical location but the actual impact on the people living there seeing the memorials for George Floyd and the damage from the riots on an ongoing basis. I think that the local people are most likely holding onto emotional feelings and even trauma from seeing and living through the death and aftermath.
In no way was I suggesting that there was a place somewhere where people did not know or see everything that we, as Websleuthers have seen. There is no place.

Agree that two alternates are not enough. I like this judge so I must change my thinking, because after all, he knows best.

I've been watching both attorneys at work on voir dire since the beginning. I think they will do great work for their respective sides.

This last item really bugs me: Twitter reporters have posted that the last two jurors selected will be the alternates, but won't know they are the alternates until end of the trial. Ha! I don't believe they won't find out.
I've seen the alternates chosen different ways. Sometimes the jurors are the ones seated following the 12 jurors. Sometimes the judge randomly picks two out of all of the jurors just prior to the start of deliberations.
It's got to be disappointing to sit through an entire trial only to find that unless a juror is dismissed, you will not get to deliberate.

I've seen the alternates chosen different ways. Sometimes the jurors are the ones seated following the 12 jurors. Sometimes the judge randomly picks two out of all of the jurors just prior to the start of deliberations.
It's got to be disappointing to sit through an entire trial only to find that unless a juror is dismissed, you will not get to deliberate.
In the cases where the alternate jurors are the ones seated following the first 12, is it publicly known that the last two picked are alternates...as in this case?

STATE STRIKE: Juror #109 out. Prosecutors cited "bias" towards law enforcement. Believed he was being evasive & left out critical information on prospective juror questionnaire. Judge wouldn't dismiss for cause, explaining he didn't think #109 was evasive w/ answers.

#110 up now.

https://twitter.com/paulblume_fox9/status/1372995616163340289?s=21

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
8m
#DerekChauvinTrial - PJ109. Nelson: Have you formed an opinion about #GeorgeFloyd death? 109 says he died in custody but says he doesn't know all the facts.

4m
PJ109 thinks it's "an idiotic idea" to the police.

4m
PJ109 has some relatives that are or have been police officers.

PJ109 - Would he believe officer testimony more simply because they are an officer? 109 says he'd have to hear the testimony

PJ 109 - State used a peremptory to strike.

Now Juror 110, woman, is up. Will she be the one that completes the jury?

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Okay - @Chelly - go ahead & take over - off to bed for me!

I'm not addressing the physical location but the actual impact on the people living there seeing the memorials for George Floyd and the damage from the riots on an ongoing basis. I think that the local people are most likely holding onto emotional feelings and even trauma from seeing and living through the death and aftermath.
In no way was I suggesting that there was a place somewhere where people did not know or see everything that we, as Websleuthers have seen. There is no place.
@lonetraveler re bbm ITA. Thx again.

I like PJ111. He’s intelligent. He has his opinions but he knows what’s required of this process. I think Nelson is incredulous. But I don’t think judge will strike for cause.

Nelson wants more of the detached jurors and I get why but those types of jurors are wildcards imo. They can hang a jury. And maybe Nelson is OK with that. They may feel detached in the jury room and not want to make a decision and be ambivalent. I think this case needs to be resolved one way or the other. A hung jury would be a disaster and there would most likely be a retrial!

I think there have been too many detached/apathetic jurors already selected. We need some critical thinkers who can move deliberations forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazPsi