GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
O/T but can we have a poll to determine what @Sillybilly 's avatar is? ;) (mods, delete if necessary).

OT, but ...

I chose it in honour of the literally hundreds of missing and murdered indigenous woman of Canada .. the totem pole acknowledging their heritage, the red being the blood, all surrounded by trying to find truth and justice through the mist.

Here are the highlights of Cahill's instructions:

Second degree murder — unintentional is defined as causing death without intent to do so, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense. Chauvin's alleged felony is assault in the third degree: the infliction — or attempted infliction — of substantial bodily harm upon another by using unlawful force.

Cahill said it is not necessary for the state to prove that Chauvin intended to inflict substantial bodily harm on Floyd "or knew that his actions would." The prosecution must prove only that Chauvin "intended to commit the assault and that George Floyd sustained substantial bodily harm as a result." The charge carries a maximum sentence of 40 years.

Third-degree murder is defined as causing death to an individual by "perpetrating an act imminently dangerous to others and evidencing a depraved mind without regard for human life" but without the intent to cause death, the judge said. To be found guilty, the jury must find that the defendant acted with "reckless disregard" for human life, he said. The maximum sentence for this charge is 25 years.

Second-degree manslaughter is causing the death of another by "culpable negligence, creating an unreasonable risk" in which the defendant "consciously takes the risk of causing death or great bodily harm to another individual."

Cahill said that an unreasonable risk would be understood to be so by an "ordinary and reasonably prudent" individual. The charge carries a maximum sentence of 10 years.

Trial Of Derek Chauvin In The Death Of George Floyd Goes To The Jury

Key phrases from today from my perpsective:

"Believe your eyes."

"Mr. Officer"

"A reasonable officer..."

"Common sense.....even a 9 year old knew..."

"Chauvin's heart heart was too small."

Visual of the day:

The chart with the dots and the import of the intersection of Chauvin, Mr. Floyd and his death. Just not a coincidence.

I think the jury members should be afforded the benefit of the doubt. They are well aware that this is high profile case, and are taking it seriously. If I were on the jury, I'd feel insulted that I would be swayed by someone who ranted about possible protests and confrontations.

That said, I'm always scared by the one juror regardless of any public remark made. It's happened before in big cases with a hung jury.

Why is the jury sequestered now that they are deliberating? Couldn't judge tell them to just avoid the news.

There's no reason to think that if they inadvertently hear something related to the trial that it would affect them. JMO
Judge Cahill decided before the trial started that the jury would be partially sequestered (under security while in courthouse and they go home at night) during the trial and then would be fully sequestered (they stay at a hotel) during deliberation. It is the decision of the judge if/when the jury is sequestered.

Don't confuse peaceful protesters, with agitators who have a completely different agenda...other than criminal justice reform and police reform. Maxine Waters fights for police reform and criminal justice reform...she does not advocate violence.

Apparently the governor took it seriously as they are on State of Emergency.

I believe that would have been the case regardless as it allows him to move the guard in quickly, and have a curfew or whatever he feels the city needs in order not to devolve into chaos. Safety measures have been in place for months, including the fencing around the building, community leaders meeting, etc.

Judge Cahill decided before the trial started that the jury would be partially sequestered (under security while in courthouse and they go home at night) during the trial and then would be fully sequestered (they stay at a hotel) during deliberation. It is the decision of the judge if/when the jury is sequestered.
Yes but why? If they where trusted to not watch the news during testimony why aren't they trusted during the deliberations? JMO

I believe that would have been the case regardless as it allows him to move the guard in quickly, and have a curfew or whatever he feels the city needs in order not to devolve into chaos. Safety measures have been in place for months, including the fencing around the building, community leaders meeting, etc.
Yes they would have...it was always the plan... IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member