GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
All i can say is if I was one of these Jurors I would hightail it home after the verdict. I would not speak publicly. Perhaps that's just me. Either way this ends at least a few folks out there are bound to be unhappy.

In the secret grand jury for Breonna Taylor, the grand jurors went to court in order to speak out. I would imagine that all of these folks are traumatized at this point--- they have watched Mr. Floyd die repeatedly in pieces of videos, stills and the longer videos. It has to take a toll (no matter who you are) to hear another human being begging for his life, only to realize the exact moment where he died.

I attended the deaths of both of my parents and a very close friend. Very different circumstances at the end of long painful illness but the feeling of watching someone's last breathe is powerful. I have come upon the scene of a single car accident where two teens were killed on impact---another motorist and I tried to render care but the outcome was evident. These moment are life changing. To see someone go from living and breathing to dead in 9+ minutes in person or on video is devastating to watch. I know when I first watched the George Floyd video I had a hard time getting his voice out of my head along with the visuals.

Last edited:
One last question. What has changed in regards to safety, security and outside influences between today and earlier in this trial? I assume that those things have always been important. Thanks.
Your question indicates that you aren't understanding that the judge issued the order on Nov. 4, 2020 that the jury would be fully sequestered only during deliberations and partially sequestered during the trial. This wasn't something he decided based on anything that has happened in the past month. Nelson asked for the jury to be fully sequestered after the Brooklyn Center shooting, Judge Cahill denied the request saying that he felt it would potentially alarm the jurors and make them think they were under a greater threat.
In regards to why he felt a partial sequester was necessary during the trial, he stated that “Media reports during trial are likely to report on the evidence already presented and unlikely to unduly prejudice the jury… so full sequestration is not necessary.”
In my opinion, I think this jury should have been fully sequestered for the entire trial.

Didn't he deny Motions to have them sequestered throughout? In such a median driven age I've often thought how hard it must be to stay away from all media especially in a trial that will continue for multiple weeks. Even if it one can put anything they've heard about a case aside beforehand, that whole concept of judging yourself and your ability to do that is really interesting but too OT here. Im now finding myself I kinda wished the judge did ask them about if they heard Waters' comments, not divulging what she said at all, but just asking if. And if one had, asking if they can put that aside. I'm feeling this way even more after the judge's remark about grounds for a future appeal/overturn a conviction.

I've been listening to talking heads today... which I don't normally do... not for their opinions (cuz everyone has one right? ;) ) but more because of the legalities of some of the things going on. Most that I've heard today have said that they can understand why the judge decided against sequestering the jury, but after last week... he most likely should have changed his ruling and indeed sequestered them. The comments made by an elected official on the weekend, strongly supports that position and why it should have been done. JMO

Didn't he deny Motions to have them sequestered throughout? In such a median driven age I've often thought how hard it must be to stay away from all media especially in a trial that will continue for multiple weeks. Even if it one can put anything they've heard about a case aside beforehand, that whole concept of judging yourself and your ability to do that is really interesting but too OT here. Im now finding myself I kinda wished the judge did ask them about if they heard Waters' comments, not divulging what she said at all, but just asking if. And if one had, asking if they can put that aside. I'm feeling this way even more after the judge's remark about grounds for a future appeal/overturn a conviction.

IMO, the judge instructed the jurors not to watch the news and to base their deliberations solely on the evidence presented to them. IOW, even IF they had accidentally seen her comments while channel surfing or whatever, what she said does not constitute evidence presented at trial, and jurors have to be trusted to follow the judge's instruction.

Last edited:
I've been listening to talking heads today... which I don't normally do... not for their opinions (cuz everyone has one right? ;) ) but more because of the legalities of some of the things going on. Most that I've heard today have said that they can understand why the judge decided against sequestering the jury, but after last week... he most likely should have changed his ruling and indeed sequestered them. The comments made by an elected official on the weekend, strongly supports that position and why it should have been done. JMO
Exactly. Things changed last week and the judge should have sequestered the jury when Nelson asked him to. JMO

Can anybody please link me to the direct quote where Maxine Waters allegedly called for rioting? TIA
Is everybody aware that the current protests are because of the death of Dante Wright, primarily?

She didn't say riots, but here is just a part of what she said:
"We're looking for a guilty verdict and we're looking to see if all of the talk that took place and has been taking place after they saw what happened to George Floyd. If nothing does not happen, then we know that we got to not only stay in the street, but we have got to fight for justice,"......and Asked what protesters should do if there is no guilty verdict, Waters said protests should continue.....she added "We got to stay on the street. And we've got to get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business," she said.
Asked about the curfew put in place, Waters said, "I don't think anything about curfew. Curfew means I want you all to stop talking. I want you to stop meeting. I want you to stop gathering. I don't agree with that."

source Maxine Waters calls for protesters to 'get more confrontational' if no guilty verdict is reached in Derek Chauvin trial - CNNPolitics

There isn't one. She did not call for riots...
I was watching coverage of the protests and I saw her and heard bits of what she was saying but I never heard her say that.

And seriously, if it was of real concern, why were the closings allowed to proceed today?

The jury has the power.
We heard the prosecution declare that.
We either trust them or we do not.

I have no opinion on the jury. I know nothing about them apart from their interviews a while ago, none of which I retained.
They were selected by both defense and the prosecution, together.
And now , suddenly, after the best closing prosecution statement I ever heard, and the worst defense closing, the jury are somehow feeble-minded because they might have watched a TV drama, heard statements from a visiting congresswoman or something else?

Which is it?
They are incompetent and feeble-minded and incapable of doing the job assigned to them or they are given the respect they earned for being there every single day?

There isn't one. She did not call for riots...

No she didn't and there's like 6 or 7 minutes of an interview when she was on the street. I just listened to some of it and got this much

"We've got to stay on the street and we've got to get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business."

She also encouraged people to defy the curfew.

Saying to be "more confrontational" is pretty inciting IMHO.

I don't believe the jury should have been sequestered during the trial.

Here's why: When a jury has been impaneled, one must trust that both the State and the Defense have placed their Trust in each member of the jury, such that they trust each member to discharge their sworn and sacred duty, regardless of any inadvertent or potential outside attempted influence.

Each member of the jury is an adult. Each member of the jury is expected to conduct themselves according to the rules.

Impaneled Jurors are not children.
Impaneled Jurors are adults who have sworn an oath.

I expect each and every juror to honor their sworn oath and to conduct themselves according to their sworn oath.

She didn't say riots, but here is just a part of what she said:
"We're looking for a guilty verdict and we're looking to see if all of the talk that took place and has been taking place after they saw what happened to George Floyd. If nothing does not happen, then we know that we got to not only stay in the street, but we have got to fight for justice,"......and Asked what protesters should do if there is no guilty verdict, Waters said protests should continue.....she added "We got to stay on the street. And we've got to get more active, we've got to get more confrontational. We've got to make sure that they know that we mean business," she said.
Asked about the curfew put in place, Waters said, "I don't think anything about curfew. Curfew means I want you all to stop talking. I want you to stop meeting. I want you to stop gathering. I don't agree with that."

source Maxine Waters calls for protesters to 'get more confrontational' if no guilty verdict is reached in Derek Chauvin trial - CNNPolitics
Thanks for the link and transcript.
Are there any links anywhere stating she specifically called for a riot or not?

If there is a no guilty verdict for George Floyd, it is NOT because the Sate did not put in the resources, the state and every witness and expert that testified on behalf of the state, because they put forward a brilliant case.
So, I disagree with her on that.
The State did everything possible.
So many Mn PD testified clearly and coherently.

Daunte wright's case is an entirely different matter.

I don't believe the jury should have been sequestered during the trial.

Here's why: When a jury has been impaneled, one must trust that both the State and the Defense have placed their Trust in each member of the jury, such that they trust each member to discharge their sworn and sacred duty, regardless of any inadvertent or potential outside attempted influence.

Each member of the jury is an adult. Each member of the jury is expected to conduct themselves according to the rules.

Impaneled Jurors are not children.
Impaneled Jurors are adults who have sworn an oath.

I expect each and every juror to honor their sworn oath and to conduct themselves according to their sworn oath.
Totally agree. It is really hard on a jury being sequestered. Remember the Casey Anthony trial?...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08