GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #18 - Chauvin Closing & Deliberations #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How about social media? Are they allowed to access social media? Maxine Waters’ statements are all over social media. MOO

I think that Judge Cahill may have been a little optimistic in his expectations that the jury could avoid discussion of this case. (MOO). I think that to avoid all discussion of this case, would require avoiding all live TV, newspapers, social media, YouTube, radio, etc. I don't think that it is as simple as just avoiding the news anymore. A lot of people do not read the newspaper or have a live TV, but many do get their news exclusively online, and on social media, IMO.

Depending on what your internet browser home page is set to, the news could be right there, anytime you go to look online for anything (JMO).

It is interesting to read @turaj posts, as I believe they are a local, and have some unique insight.

The mistake Waters made was bringing this up during the trial. She should have saved her banter for post trial if it was even needed. She's riled up people unnecessarily when there hasn't even been a verdict yet. Regardless of her intent it was bad timing at the very least.

I predict the jury will return with guilty on all charges by tomorrow morning. After that an appeal that will overturn the verdict and then a retrial. JMO
I predict a guilty verdict on two counts. I think an appeal will be denied and the verdict will ultimately stand.

I'm not sure how long the jury will take to make a decision. I think one charge in particular will take some time.

jmo

I think that this is going to be overturned on appeal. Nelson made some good points about this case making it's way into non-news programs that the jury could have watched. The judges admonition to "stay away from the news" doesn't cover that.

And what about news previews that may have had Maxine Waters statements,or other trial comments, during commercial breaks? Jurors could have avoided the "news" but still could have been exposed to prejudicial statements. JMO

TBH, I was unaware of Waters’ statements until today. I did have the news on, but got tired of hearing about all the shootings, and couldn’t take it anymore. If I was unaware, others could be, too.

But, I’m also aware that many people find her to be ridiculous. (I’m not saying I agree with that, just saying she’s a very controversial political figure in the minds of many, so it could swing either way even if some jurors were aware.)

Plus, this is 2021. There’s no way to avoid every single bit of info, even if one tried. You’d have to be locked in a room alone with zero electronics or any form of media.

Many a case a Juror has been subjected to facts video etc. prior to being picked. They are asked if they can put that aside if chosen and base a verdict solely on what is presented in Court. If this Jury is honest and they heard a snippet but removed themselves or the source and base verdict on what was presented then that's good enough for me. Such a social media driven society it's hard to avoid it 100%. It may be grounds for an Appeal but doesn't mean it will fly.

Mason from CourtTV..."Like the C Anthony trial there has been plenty of bias and prejudice. Too much doubt, too much evidence against state, too many contradictory opinions."

Even he thinks Nelson went on too long. Nelson should have timed his closing IMHO. He should know how long he can keep jurors attention. Maybe he does and this is fine but to my inexperienced eyes and attention span he's taking too long.

I think the break might help him though. He gets a fresh jury and can recap in a timely manor. It also helps the state prepare for whatever rebuttal they have. Could be a win for both sides.
I'm having flash backs and PTSD listening to Mason. He is seeing the closing arguments in an entirely different way. Amazing.

TBH, I was unaware of Waters’ statements until today. I did have the news on, but got tired of hearing about all the shootings, and couldn’t take it anymore. If I was unaware, others could be, too.

But, I’m also aware that many people find her to be ridiculous. (I’m not saying I agree with that, just saying she’s a very controversial political figure in the minds of many, so it could swing either way even if some jurors were aware.)

Plus, this is 2021. There’s no way to avoid every single bit of info, even if one tried. You’d have to be locked in a room alone with zero electronics or any form of media.

Or in North Korea :cool:

Being locked in a room with restricted and monitored media/entertainment is called sequestration. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Merythe