MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want anyone to get hurt or die, but I get this. I get this outrage. We have protested peacefully for years and watched all of these officers get off on charges. People are angry. I'm a white woman and I am absolutely ticked off. This has got to end. The murder of unarmed black people must cease. This has turned into a war. I completely understand their frustration. If you listen to the live streams interviewing the protesters they will all tell you "We tried peaceful protests for years and they wouldn't listen." Will they listen now?

Same here. I don't want anyone else to get hurt, and I don't like seeing destruction but, the establishment doesn't listen to peaceful protests or vigils. State sanctioned violence against black people has been going for literally hundreds of years - what has to happen for it to stop? Holding hand and singing kumbaya won't do it. People have had enough and I understand their anger 100%. I hope that this will be different and actually be the catalyst for change.

I'm not sure they will. They knew this was coming. They could have arrested the officers, upgraded the charges later if necessary, but it would have likely prevented much of tonight's events. I knew the second they didn't, that this would be the result.
I don’t think an arrest of the officers would have prevented these events. People want change and that is why they are protesting against the whole Minneapolis police department. JMO.

Protests are going on all over the nation. Louisville, LA, Denver, Columbus, etc.,

I think the press conference this afternoon threw some fuel to the fire. They sounded tone deaf and as if there was a strong possibility that the DA won't bring charges based on other evidence. It is unfortunate that they did not do a better job and that DA Freeman opened up the idea that no charges could come.

Ha well thanks my friends for the concern, but the well wishes need to go to the protesters themselves... hoping that even as things seem to escalate there are no casualties tonight! :(

I noticed that at least most of them were wearing masks. Take care. I remember the Rodney King riots in L.A., very surreal.

This country's creation was because people who were tired fought and rioted against the establishment. This is the history of our country.

People are tired and are fighting against the racist establishment that has been holding them back for 400 years.

Why is one celebrated but the other condemned? What's the difference...

I would be interested in seeing the full video, five minutes prior to when the man was cuffed and on the ground.
There's a great surveillance video from a business across the street that shows what happened prior to him being cuffed and after he was cuffed. No where in the video is he resisting. No where. I'll post a link if I can find it again.

ETA: https://nypost.com/2020/05/27/video-does-not-appear-to-show-george-floyd-resisting-arrest/

At the end of the video, you can see him being led across the street to another squad car where he's taken down , and the incident happens.

Last edited:
I don't understand why the National Guard is not there.

To me, their presence could keep the crowd safe, as well as the firefighters.

Maybe I'm wrong about the National Guard being there but I think it would be good - even just to keep the people there safe.

ETA:
According to this news report, the National Guard is being mobilized now:
National Guard activated in Minneapolis after unrest

I'm seeing comments on facebook that the National Guard is protecting the downtown area.

I don't want anyone to get hurt or die, but I get this. I get this outrage. We have protested peacefully for years and watched all of these officers get off on charges. People are angry. I'm a white woman and I am absolutely ticked off. This has got to end. The murder of unarmed black people must cease. This has turned into a war. I completely understand their frustration. If you listen to the live streams interviewing the protesters they will all tell you "We tried peaceful protests for years and they wouldn't listen." Will they listen now?
Reminds me of the MLK, Jr quote: "A riot is the language of the unheard".

Reminds me of the MLK, Jr quote: "A riot is the language of the unheard".
And they don't work. People are saying that peaceful protest has been tried before and nobody listened, well riots have been tried before too and nobody listened. All this will achieve is that local businesses will close down and large businesses will move out of the area, causing an increase in unemployment and poverty.

And they don't work. People are saying that peaceful protest has been tried before and nobody listened, well riots have been tried before too and nobody listened. All this will achieve is that local businesses will close down and large businesses will move out of the area, causing an increase in unemployment and poverty.
I don't think that MLK, Jr's statement was intended to condone rioting. I think it was more in understanding that the catalyst for the riot is the chronic seething anger finally being unleashed in it's full fury because there needs to be change. But that's my analysis only.

I don't think that statement was intended to condone rioting. I think it was more in understanding that the catalyst for the riot is the chronic seething anger finally being unleashed in it's full fury because there needs to be change. But that's my analysis only.
This will only change things for the worse.

Mayor Jacob Frey
@MayorFrey

·49m

We are working with
@MinneapolisFire
to deliver resources and respond for a beloved neighborhood in our city. We all need to work together to ensure the safety of our friends, family, and Minneapolis residents. And right now working together means clearing the area.

Mayor Jacob Frey
@MayorFrey

·9h

What we’ve seen over the last two days and the emotion-ridden conflict over last night is the result of so much built up anger and sadness – anger and sadness that has become engrained in our Black community, not because of just five minutes of horror—but 400 years.

Mayor Jacob Frey
@MayorFrey

·9h

If you’re feeling that sadness and that anger, it’s not only understandable – it’s right. It’s a reflection of the truth our Black community has lived. While not from lived experience, that sadness must also be understood by our non-black communities.

Last edited:
This will only change things for the worse.

Unfortunately, nothing else has worked. It is a catch-22. I am appalled by the violence and the carnage. That said, people have been asking, then demanding, then pleading and then screaming for change for a long time. There is a need for all of us to help out and demand change. Nay, not just demand but refuse to sit down and be quiet until it happens. Mr. Floyd's killing is streamed in technicolor and it is still hard to get charges. We need outrage across all races, genders, and economic levels or we will see more carnage, unfortunately.

I also believe that not all protesters are rioters AND not all rioters are protesters. I think there are agitators and ne'er do wells who are taking advantage as well.

Looks like George Floyd and Chauvin worked at the same club. It is not known if they were acquainted. I think George worked there for the past year.

""Chauvin was our off-duty police for almost the entirety of the 17 years that we were open," Santamaria said. "They were working together at the same time, it's just that Chauvin worked outside and the security guards were inside.""
George Floyd, fired officer overlapped security shifts at south Minneapolis club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3