MN MN - Jackie Theel, 6, Paynesville, 5 Sept 1944

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know if Jackie has DNA on file or anywhere? I’m going to enter him into namus

I do not know if DNA exists for Jackie. He disappeared in 1944 and there was no physical evidence left behind which might have contained his DNA. The science of DNA matching was totally unknown and unimagined back then, so unless the family still had something of his, it is unlikely that DNA on him has been analyzed and is on file.

That said, it might be possible for a relative of Jackie to donate their own DNA which would be similar to Jackie's.

If he is not in namus, go ahead and enter him. Such a data base could help.

Jackie has been missing for 74 years.

I do not know if DNA exists for Jackie. He disappeared in 1944 and there was no physical evidence left behind which might have contained his DNA. The science of DNA matching was totally unknown and unimagined back then, so unless the family still had something of his, it is unlikely that DNA on him has been analyzed and is on file.

That said, it might be possible for a relative of Jackie to donate their own DNA which would be similar to Jackie's.

If he is not in namus, go ahead and enter him. Such a data base could help.

Jackie has been missing for 74 years.
He has a sister I think she put DNA in years ago

Does anyone have any contact info for Jackie’s case? My 4 year old son has an imaginary friend that is named Jackie for the last 2 years.... we found out a while back that he’s dead and only comes to visit at night is 6 years old with blond hair and blue eyes. I didn’t take much of it until the past few days he started with this stuff again and now he’s getting scared out of his mind because he thinks Jackie’s dad will hurt him too like he does to his friend. I know how this stuff sounds and don’t buy into the whole thing completely but I am starting to think this friend could be real to him some how and maybe looking for help for some reason. It’s way beyond what any young child could dream up given the extent of the details and the fact that none of it is ever different even if it’s been months since he talked about it. One thing he spoke of to me is Jackie’s dad hits his hands with a hammer and his fingers don’t work. The first thing I see in the poster picture is the odd looking fingers and hands Jackie has almost can see bruising and they could have been broken before. This is the only boy named Jackie that’s missing, deceased or anything Ive been able to find close to the age he says and has the exact description. I’m hoping to get my kid some closure if possible with this and would like to reach out to someone more involved with the case. We’re there ever any suspects at all and how likely is it that he just took off with someone. The area has several disturbing things that have happened over the years involving young kids

Does anyone have any contact info for Jackie’s case? My 4 year old son has an imaginary friend that is named Jackie for the last 2 years.... we found out a while back that he’s dead and only comes to visit at night is 6 years old with blond hair and blue eyes. I didn’t take much of it until the past few days he started with this stuff again and now he’s getting scared out of his mind because he thinks Jackie’s dad will hurt him too like he does to his friend. I know how this stuff sounds and don’t buy into the whole thing completely but I am starting to think this friend could be real to him some how and maybe looking for help for some reason. It’s way beyond what any young child could dream up given the extent of the details and the fact that none of it is ever different even if it’s been months since he talked about it. One thing he spoke of to me is Jackie’s dad hits his hands with a hammer and his fingers don’t work. The first thing I see in the poster picture is the odd looking fingers and hands Jackie has almost can see bruising and they could have been broken before. This is the only boy named Jackie that’s missing, deceased or anything Ive been able to find close to the age he says and has the exact description. I’m hoping to get my kid some closure if possible with this and would like to reach out to someone more involved with the case. We’re there ever any suspects at all and how likely is it that he just took off with someone. The area has several disturbing things that have happened over the years involving young kids

Stearns County Sheriff's Office 320-259-3700

In some of the stories I read, there is information that a former teacher saw a man that looked a lot like Jackie getting off a navy ship in the 60's who called himself Jackie Theel and said he was adopted.... So I dug in and this is what I found:

J. Theel in a Navy Cruisebook

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 3.50.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 3.50.43 PM.png
    478.9 KB · Views: 73
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 3.50.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-11 at 3.50.59 PM.png
    801.9 KB · Views: 58
In some of the stories I read, there is information that a former teacher saw a man that looked a lot like Jackie getting off a navy ship in the 60's who called himself Jackie Theel and said he was adopted.... So I dug in and this is what I found:
J. Theel in a Navy Cruise book

Great research. The plane in the photo is an F-4 Phantom II, painted in the colors of Navy Fighter Squadron VF-84. That squadron flew the F-4 from 1964 thru 1976. Their nickname was "The Jolly Rogers" and they were based at NAS Oceana in Virginia.

The photo was taken aboard an aircraft carrier, possibly the USS Independence, which deployed to Tonkin Bay off VietNam in 1965. Independence was a Forrestal class carrier homeported in Norfolk, VA.

Note that the sailors and officers in the cruise book photo are NOT squadron VT-84 members, but rather Ship's company from B Division. They are Firemen (FN) and Boiler Technician (BT) rated men who were topside for a photo with the plane.

LINK:
VF-84

Great research. The plane in the photo is an F-4 Phantom II, painted in the colors of Navy Fighter Squadron VF-84. That squadron flew the F-4 from 1964 thru 1976. Their nickname was "The Jolly Rogers" and they were based at NAS Oceana in Virginia.

The photo was taken aboard an aircraft carrier, possibly the USS Independence, which deployed to Tonkin Bay off VietNam in 1965. Independence was a Forrestal class carrier homeported in Norfolk, VA.

Note that the sailors and officers in the cruise book photo are NOT squadron VT-84 members, but rather Ship's company from B Division. They are Firemen (FN) and Boiler Technician (BT) rated men who were topside for a photo with the plane.

LINK:
VF-84
I found another photo from the same Destroyer noted in the first photo, a 1970 Navy Cruise book with a portrait of the J Theel:
Does anyone think it could be Jackie?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 9.14.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 9.14.07 AM.png
    110.6 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 9.14.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-12 at 9.14.27 AM.png
    591.1 KB · Views: 43
I found another photo from the same Destroyer noted in the first photo, a 1970 Navy Cruise book with a portrait of the J Theel:
Does anyone think it could be Jackie?

Both photos appear to be the same person. The one that you say is from a 1970 Destroyer cruise book shows him as a Fireman (E3). That would likely mean the photo of him as Boiler Technician third class (E4) was taken a year or two later. Note also that he is wearing only the National Defense Service ribbon, so had not been in the VietNam area or earned any other medals or ribbons yet.

Also, the teacher stated that she had seen a sailor in California named Jackie Theel some time in the 1960's. The J. Theel in the 1970 cruise book was only an E3 and had probably been in the Navy for at most about 2 years when the photo was taken. So possible if it was in the late 1960's that she saw him. Where was that Destroyer home ported?

While Little Jackie Theel of Paynesville, Minnesota could possibly have served in the US Navy, if these photos are of him, he would have been over 32 years old at the time.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of Little Jackie Theel when he was 6 years old:

Victor John Theel
  • victor_john_theel_1.jpg
Victor, circa 1944

• Missing Since 09/05/1944
  • Missing From Paynesville, Minnesota
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 02/15/1938 (82)
  • Age 6 years old
  • Height and Weight 3'0, 45 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A slightly faded navy blue and white sailor suit a square-cut collar that had three stripes, three stripes on each sleeve at the wrist, high front pockets, long pants buttoned to the waist, brown short socks, new black shoes with a seam from toe to instep, and no undergarments. One of the buttons in the back of the suit was missing and been replaced with a safety pin.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes. Victor's nickname is Jackie and most accounts refer to him by that name. He has a one-inch scar on the back of his head. At the time of his disappearance, he had a newly healed cut on the inside of his thumb and a fresh scratch on his right cheek below his eye.
Details of Disappearance

Jackie attended his first day of school in Paynesville, Minnesota on September 5, 1944. It was a half-day; he was supposed to come home for lunch and stay there. His mother had sent him to school with a note for the teacher saying Jackie's older brother would pick him up. But at 11:30 p.m., Jackie's teacher sent him on his way home alone, asking first if he knew the way.

His home was on the corner of Lake Avenue south and east Railroad Street in Paynesville; that address is now a vacant lot. He never arrived there and has never been heard from again.

Bloodhounds traced Jackie's scent down Augusta Avenue, a block west of Washburne Street. His home was a block east of Washburne Street. The trail continued to the Crow River, just west of the North American Creamery. The tracks of a child were found leading west along the river. They went as far as Highway 23 and both the tracks and the scent vanished. This was the only indication of his whereabouts after he left school that day.

Witnesses reported seeing a small boy matching Jackie's description standing along Highway 23 at 1:00 p.m. that day. Other witnesses claim they saw a small boy getting into a gray car on Highway 23 at 4:45 p.m. It has not been confirmed that either child was Jackie.

Jackie's surviving family members remember him as a "slow" child who, unlike his siblings, was never allowed to run errands in town or go far from home without his parents. They don't believe he was seriously mentally disabled, however, since he was able to attend school.

His loved ones believe that he became lost and was picked up by a stranger along Highway 23. Soldiers stationed in the Army at the time could get discharged if they had dependents; Jackie may have been taken by a soldier for that reason.

In the 1960s, one of Jackie's former teachers saw a young man matching his description and calling himself Jackie Theel, getting off a Navy ship in California. The man told the teacher he had been adopted. It has not been confirmed that he was the same Jackie Theel who disappeared in 1944, however.

Jackie is one of fifteen children. One of his sisters and one of his brothers still live in the Paynesville area and are still searching for him, but the police no longer have the records of their investigation; their archives go back only to 1960. He has never been declared legally dead and his case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency
  • Stearns County Sheriff's Office 320-259-3700
Source Information

Here is a recent story which borrows rather heavily from my first post on this thread:

The Vanished Schoolboy
Mystery lingers behind schoolboy Victor “Jackie” Theel’s disappearance, over seven decades on.

... On September 5, 1944, Victor John Theel, (referred to by his nickname “Jackie” by most accounts on his disappearance), attended his first day of school in Paynesville, Minnesota. As it was a half-day; Jackie’s mother had sent him to school with a note for his teacher explaining that his older brother would come by and pick him up.

Jackie was supposed to come straight home for lunch and stay at the house. Unfortunately, for reasons that remain unclear, at 11:30 a.m., Jackie was ultimately sent home alone before his brother could arrive. Before letting him go, his teacher did ask him if he knew his way back — his home was on the corner of Lake Avenue South and East Railroad Street in Paynesville, a location now nothing more than a vacant lot...

LINK:
The Vanished Schoolboy

Not saying it's related, but it's interesting that a lot of assault cases against young teen males (that may be connected to Jacob Wetterling's disappearance) is centered in Paynesville, MN, where Jackie vanished from. What has been going down in this area?!
Those seem to be mostly female victims, if I am not mistaken... what makes you think that these may be related?
Hoping we find out what happened to little Jackie one day :(

Interesting to note the theory that little Jackie eventually ended up as a sailor in the U.S. Navy when one considers the clothing he was wearing on his first day of school in Paynesville 5 September 1944.

Clothing
Slightly faded blue navy suit with a square-cut collar that had three stripes and three stripes on each sleeve at the wrist; long pants buttoned to the waist, safety pin replacing button in the back; no undergarments

Footwear
New black shoes with seam from toe to instep; brown short socks.

He certainly was dressed like a sailor on the day he disappeared.

Another strange connection is his name, "Jackie". Sailors were sometimes referred to as "Jack Tars" in earlier times. Remember Sailor Jack for Cracker Jacks? In the 1920's and 30's instrumental bands became very popular in towns and schools. Marching and concert bands consisting of young boys were formed in many towns and their uniforms were like what sailors wore. These were often referred to as "Jackie Bands".

Source:
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back