MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes thats really strange.

I think if I had the chance of knowing what really happened in one of these cases, Jacob would have to be it.

...which gives me the chills 'cause my kids play hockey... is that the perp. was an offender who hung out regularly at the hockey rink....or....that this was somehow hockey related as in some type of rivalry gone amok....Now before you jump to conclusions and say this is crazy....those of you who played hockey or whose kids play hockey will totally understand this....there are a few absolutely psychotic hockey parents out there...

Some coaches in my kids' league are lobbying to take names off of jerseys, jackets, hats, etc. because they feel it could open kids up to being vulnerable....this is so sad....that we even have to think like this...

This could be every sport.Not just Hockey...

Jacob Wetterling's Siblings Talk

Trevor Wetterling was just 10 years old when his older brother Jacob was abducted at gunpoint in 1989 near the family's home in St. Joseph, Minn. The boys and a friend were on the way home from renting a video at a nearby convenience store. Jacob has not been seen since.

Last Friday, Trevor and his two sisters, Amy and Carmen, were in Washington D.C. for the unveiling of a book they helped write called "What About Me? Coping With the Abduction of a Brother or Sister."

You can read the sibling survival guide and watch the video by going to these links.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for siblings of abducted children. In all of the chaos, scrutiny, and parents' grief, they are shunted aside.

Jacob Wetterling's Siblings Talk

Trevor Wetterling was just 10 years old when his older brother Jacob was abducted at gunpoint in 1989 near the family's home in St. Joseph, Minn. The boys and a friend were on the way home from renting a video at a nearby convenience store. Jacob has not been seen since.

Last Friday, Trevor and his two sisters, Amy and Carmen, were in Washington D.C. for the unveiling of a book they helped write called "What About Me? Coping With the Abduction of a Brother or Sister."

You can read the sibling survival guide and watch the video by going to these links.

Thankyou for posting the book info. Much appreciated.

I am glad they are trying to help through their grief. I admire that. that is what I have always admire about John Walsh. I wish such a book didn't even need to exist though.

I am glad they are trying to help through their grief. I admire that. that is what I have always admire about John Walsh. I wish such a book didn't even need to exist though.

Amen Sister!

Thank you for the update on this. I have not read the book. Can somebody recap how Trevor and Carmen are doing? I cannot imagine being in Trevor's shoes, witnessing the abduction and wondering why Jacob was chosen over him. How terrible.

Trino thanks for your thoughts on this. Jacob's case has also haunted me for years. It is very frustrating that so few leads were generated. Was it ever determined if he was put into a vehicle?

How could a non local know the boys route unless he was watching them?

Could it has been a visitor visiting friends or family in the area?

I still have hope that Jacob will turn up somewhere and find his family. Did you know that the Wetterlings have never moved or changed their phone number? They have always said that the reason they can't do that is.... "What if he comes home and we're not there?". :(

I found an article through a link on the "What About Me" video page that I found interesting. It tells a lot about how the siblings are doing. Here's the direct link:

http://wcco.com/topstories/local_story_142183335.html

Three weeks ago, Trevor and his family hopes were renewed when a young man from Kentucky called Jacob's parents, claiming to be their missing son.

"He thought he was Jacob, he had amnesia and all that and that was, I mean it was hopeful, 'cause that's the only explanation I can really have right now as to why he hasn't come home, you know, other than the worst possible situation. So it was hopeful," said Trevor.

The young man had some physical similarities to Jacob, including a mole on his cheek but hope faded quickly. Fingerprints and blood tests ruled the man out as Jacob.

<SNIP>

This latest lead came as Jacob's only brother and two sisters were finishing a survival guide to help other kids who have also had a sibling abducted. The book is called "What About Me?"
<SNIP>

Anyone with information is asked to call the Stearns County Sheriff Office is 320-259-3700.

<SNIP>

I've always wondered why a kidnapper would ask who was the oldest. This question is so strange. Most pedophiles want younger kids.
Good question. Perhaps he had a beef with an older brother himself and was getting revenge or perhaps he had been the oldest in his family and was abused more harshly because of it and was carrying on the pattern. A good profiler might be able to work with that a bit.

I am thinking the abductor asked for sexual purposes. Maybe he did not want a boy that was too old and still pre-pubescent? Sick thought I know.

What I find baffling is that was such a small town back then, nobody knew or saw anything. Perhaps the kidnapper was a visitor to the area?

Happy Birthday, Jacob. :blowkiss: I hope you can celebrate it with your family next time.

I'll say special prayers for him and his family today. Thank you for letting us know his birthday was today, joanna.

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/NEWS01/102170036/1009

17 Feb 08

Today marks Jacob Wetterling's 30th birthday, and his family says they will spend the day together to honor him — just as they have every year since his abduction at gunpoint on Oct. 22, 1989.

Wetterling, a sixth-grader at St. Cloud's North Junior High School, was 11 years old when he was abducted near St. Joseph more than 18 years ago. The case remains open; no arrests have been made.

His mother, Patty Wetterling, said today will be a tough day.

She says the family will say some prayers and she hopes families will use the weekend as an opportunity to talk to their own children about being safe.

more at link

http://www.sctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/NEWS01/102170036/1009

17 Feb 08

Today marks Jacob Wetterling's 30th birthday, and his family says they will spend the day together to honor him — just as they have every year since his abduction at gunpoint on Oct. 22, 1989.

Wetterling, a sixth-grader at St. Cloud's North Junior High School, was 11 years old when he was abducted near St. Joseph more than 18 years ago. The case remains open; no arrests have been made.

She says the family will say some prayers and she hopes families will use the weekend as an opportunity to talk to their own children about being safe.

more at link

17 Feb 08

more at link

17 Feb 08

more at link

17 Feb 08

more at link

Oh my. Jacob was one of the first missing people I ever saw a story about and I will never forget him. What a handsome boy. I am shocked to know he would be 30, but I know if he came to my door right now, I would know it was him. Bless the Wetterling family and my heart still breaks for their loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahearn