MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the track record of the Bishop for the regional area with regard to Priests that are child abusers?

I can't get the link to work. What's the title of the article so I can search for it?

Sorry, Newly Appointed St. Cloud Bishop Spent Years in Alaska with Past Clergy Abuse

It was in the St. Cloud Times on Sept 23, 2013 and it is also on the Bishop-accountability.org

Also, BW, who passed suddenly in 2009. Allegedly there was concern he may have been associated with the disappearance of JG.

So far, 2 suspects have been caught/killed/identified from the new John Walsh show The Hunt.

Catholicism Has Made it This Way . . .

Donald Joseph Kettler - ninth Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 2013 – present.
Donald was born to Norbert and Marguerite Kettler on November 26, 1944, in Minneapolis, Minnesota, one of four children, two boys and two girls. He was baptized on December 10, 1944, in Our Lady of Lourdes Church in Minneapolis. At an early age, he moved with his family to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. His father, a federal meat inspector, died in 1998. Donald attended St. Joseph Cathedral Grade School in Sioux Falls; then, for his secondary education, Trinity Prep School in Sioux City, Iowa. He went on to earn college degrees at Crosier Seminary, Onamia, Minnesota, and St. John’s University, Collegeville, Minnesota. He spent the summers of his seminary days working in parishes in Chicago, in impoverished neighborhoods, and at missions in South Dakota working among Native American Indian people.

He graduated in 1966 from St. John’s University, in Collegeville, MN, with a degree in philosophy and earned a master’s of divinity degree from its seminary in 1970. He was ordained a priest in St. Joseph Cathedral, Sioux Falls, on May 29, 1970, by Bishop Lambert A. Hoch.

He was appointed Bishop of Fairbanks, Alaska, in 2002, where he had to deal with sexual abuse cases — in fact they forced the diocese there into bankruptcy.

January 3, 2014 – Kettler releases names of 33 priests accused of sexual abuse of minors who served in parishes within the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN.

John F. Kinney – eighth Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN; served as bishop of St. Cloud from 1995 to 2013, submitted his letter of resignation to Pope Benedict in June 2012. Catholic bishops are required by church law to submit their resignation at age 75.

Jerome G. Hanus – seventh Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1987 – 1994

George H. Speltz - sixth Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1968 – 1987

Peter W. Bartholome - fifth Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1953 – 1968

Joseph F. Busch – fourth Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1915 – 1953

James Trobec – third Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1897 – 1914

Martin Marty – second Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1895 – 1896

Otto Zardetti – first Bishop of the Diocese of Saint Cloud, MN, 1889 – 1894

(http://stcdio.org/about/our-history/)

Prov. 11:14

Also, BW, who passed suddenly in 2009. Allegedly there was concern he may have been associated with the disappearance of JG.

Right. He passed suddenly under a suspicious cloud. Was he investigating it or involved?

Involved. My opinion only -- most potential for being involved with JG disappearance, based on his particular history and opportunity to interface with JG. Also, complaints made specifically about him during that time period. Complaints were hushed up. He suddenly retired from his post as head of the Psychology Dept. in 2003, but remained at the abbey doing his bird counting and gardening until his death in 2009. No information has been released pertaining to further questions about the circumstances of his death, and what was found after authorities searched his room.

I wonder how often any of these "special" priests visited the R farm?

I think a lot of people invite the priest over for dinner. Or fun occasions.

I wonder how often any of these "special" priests visited the R farm?

I think a lot of people invite the priest over for dinner. Or fun occasions.

To be fair, most parishioners had no idea at the time what these priests were doing behind closed doors. They seemed to be sincere, devout, friendly guys when you met them. I belonged to a youth group run by one of the priests now on restriction and we thought he was the greatest guy, lots of fun and very intelligent. The woman who used to do daycare for our son introduced me to Gillespie at one of the 4th of July festivals back in '88 or '89 - and he was a very likable guy. There was a lot of shock and disbelief among locals when all the information about them molesting young boys finally came out.

To be fair, most parishioners had no idea at the time what these priests were doing behind closed doors. They seemed to be sincere, devout, friendly guys when you met them. I belonged to a youth group run by one of the priests now on restriction and we thought he was the greatest guy, lots of fun and very intelligent. The woman who used to do daycare for our son introduced me to Gillespie at one of the 4th of July festivals back in '88 or '89 - and he was a very likable guy. There was a lot of shock and disbelief among locals when all the information about them molesting young boys finally came out.

Exactly,

Not being Catholic, I know it was good form to invite the Pastor over.

I was simply wondering if priests had gone to the R farm.

And if they had established any kind of relationship with any of the many boys in the family.

Those molesting priests were on the lookout for vulnerable kids,

Behindthepinecurtain explains some of the family relationships. This was unbeknownst to the parents, of course.

This is the kind of information that might, at least at the surface, help connect some dots. When the investigation into DR as a POI was being conducted, were inquiries ever made into any relationships he might have had at the abbey? Did he socialize after hours with people he knew at the school? How much digging is allowed by authorities when someone is a POI but not an actual suspect? Enough to dig up the farm but not enough to investigate relationships with former associates at the university?

On June 9, 1922, a document on sexual solicitation by priests was issued by the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office. It was signed by the prefect, Cardinal Merry del Val, and was approved by Pope Pius XI. The 1922 document was sent only to diocesan bishops, was issued in strict secrecy, and its content was never published in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis, the official publication of the Holy See.

In 1962, unbeknownst to the public, a secret guideline was issued by the Holy Office of the Vatican (now known as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) to all bishops of the Roman Catholic Church, with instructions that this document be kept in the secret archive within each diocese. This secret document was titled “Manner of Proceeding in Cases of Solicitation,” or by its official name, Crimen Sollicitationis. The document prescribed special internal procedures for processing cases of sexual solicitation during confessional, as well as other vile clerical crimes including sex with children, and sex with animals (bestiality). The document instructed that allegations or incidents of sexual abuse were to be maintained in the “strictest” secrecy, and threatened those who violated this policy with excommunication. The 1962 policy document was derived from the 1922 document, which, in turn, was based on policies and practices of the Catholic Church dating back to the Middle Ages.

The English version of Crimen Sollicitationis was not uncovered and made known to the public until August 2003 when its existence was published in The Washington Post and in many other national and international newspapers.

On May 18, 2001, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI, 2005 – 2013) authored a memo reaffirming the 1922 and 1962 policies. This memo refers to sexual abuse by a cleric with a minor under the age of 18, and instructs that cases involving such conduct “are subject to the pontifical secret”, i.e., any inquiry is to be conducted in the strictest secrecy, for which a violation is subject to the penalty of excommunication. As instructed in Cardinal Ratzinger's memo, this secrecy is to be maintained for a period of 10 years after the child victim reaches the age of 18 -- a period of time sufficiently long to encompass the expiration of statutes of limitations. In this manner, the Church entity's knowledge of abuse would be concealed until the threat of civil liability had passed.

On June 9, 1922, a document on sexual solicitation by priests was issued by the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office. It was signed by the prefect, Cardinal Merry del Val, and was approved by Pope Pius XI. The 1922 document was sent only to diocesan bishops, was issued in strict secrecy, and its content was never published in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis, the official publication of the Holy See.

In 1962, unbeknownst to the public, a secret guideline was issued by the Holy Office of the Vatican (now known as the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith) to all bishops of the Roman Catholic Church, with instructions that this document be kept in the secret archive within each diocese. This secret document was titled “Manner of Proceeding in Cases of Solicitation,” or by its official name, Crimen Sollicitationis. The document prescribed special internal procedures for processing cases of sexual solicitation during confessional, as well as other vile clerical crimes including sex with children, and sex with animals (bestiality). The document instructed that allegations or incidents of sexual abuse were to be maintained in the “strictest” secrecy, and threatened those who violated this policy with excommunication. The 1962 policy document was derived from the 1922 document, which, in turn, was based on policies and practices of the Catholic Church dating back to the Middle Ages.

The English version of Crimen Sollicitationis was not uncovered and made known to the public until August 2003 when its existence was published in The Washington Post and in many other national and international newspapers.

On May 18, 2001, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI, 2005 – 2013) authored a memo reaffirming the 1922 and 1962 policies. This memo refers to sexual abuse by a cleric with a minor under the age of 18, and instructs that cases involving such conduct “are subject to the pontifical secret”, i.e., any inquiry is to be conducted in the strictest secrecy, for which a violation is subject to the penalty of excommunication. As instructed in Cardinal Ratzinger's memo, this secrecy is to be maintained for a period of 10 years after the child victim reaches the age of 18 -- a period of time sufficiently long to encompass the expiration of statutes of limitations. In this manner, the Church entity's knowledge of abuse would be concealed until the threat of civil liability had passed.

Very interesting.

It seems like it will be a cold day in you know where then before any priest rats out another one.

Human, you're probably right, but I have some faith that one of them someday might be overcome with the need to speak the truth. At least Patrick Wall did, so there's one. How about the sheriff himself? What information might he have in his case files on Joshua and Jacob? We want evidence but evidence is hard to come by when investigations aren't focused in areas where they should be. If a young person went missing on a campus housing numerous sex offenders, the first thing I would do is interview each one to obtain their alibis for that day and night. I would not patently ignore the fact that possible persons of interest with documented histories of sexual abuse live right there.

But...if it is the Catholic Church sometimes they are treated with kid gloves instead of interrogated like the pedophiles they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahartley1978