MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #11

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a 54 year old guy just busted in MN. Very responsible job and a coach at a wealthy school and area in Duluth. No criminal history.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/co...nced-child-*advertiser censored*-distribution

What if the perp was in the parking lot at Tom Thumb, saw the boys arrive and knew who they were, then drove back down the road (while boys were in the store) and parked in DR's driveway and waited.

There. That explains how a vehicle could have gotten to DR's without passing the boys!

What if the perp was in the parking lot at Tom Thumb, saw the boys arrive and knew who they were, then drove back down the road (while boys were in the store) and parked in DR's driveway and waited.

There. That explains how a vehicle could have gotten to DR's without passing the boys!

Could be. How did he know where the boys were going and why?

If he was in the parking lot, he did not know if the boys were going to Aaron's house or another friend's house.

But he could take the chance and then put his car exactly where? No unexplained tire tracks.

If it was a halfway house with multiple sex offenders, any one of them could have grabbed him and took off with him. Hauled him back to the halfway house, stuffed him in his car and disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it was a halfway house with multiple sex offenders, any one of them could have grabbed him and took off with him. Hauled him back to the halfway house, stuffed him in his car and disappeared.

I suppose the guy could have snuck out the window of his room while his roomates were asleep. along with the pantyhose, boots and gun. Are you thinking the perp never returned to the halfway house and has been on the run ever since?

Could be. How did he know where the boys were going and why?

If he was in the parking lot, he did not know if the boys were going to Aaron's house or another friend's house.

But he could take the chance and then put his car exactly where? No unexplained tire tracks.

EXACTLY!! How did he know which way they were headed? And would he really take a chance and park far up a driveway not knowing if/when the homeowner may come out or dogs would bark? Not only that, if he took the chance to park there he also took the chance to walk all the way down to the road to kidnap Jacob and walk back up the driveway when a car could come driving in or out at any minute. Would someone really risk being caught? This guy went to the trouble to disguise himself so he wouldn't get caught, why would he be so stupid as to park his car on a driveway risking discovery?

And then we get back to no unexplained tire tracks which always loses me, but I am trying to be open minded.

I don't think residents of halfway houses have access to a car, do they?

I don't think residents of halfway houses have access to a car, do they?

Yes for work and school. But they do a head count nightly to account for all residents. They are also required to sign in and out. If someone snuck out it is most likely another roomate helped cover it somehow.

I just cant put the halfway perp together. Too many restrictions and their rooms are searched at random. No way to hide a gun and a fetish of black pantyhose.

How strict were the rules in 1989?

The more I think about this.... The abductor would need either A) A vehicle or B) Pre-scouted egress by foot. Either one would by necessity have to be very quick and out of sight by anyone who happened along (the abductor could not control all variables) and anyone responding in haste to the abduction site (also variables out of the abductors control). If a vehicle was involved, it would either need to be A) One that would not raise any suspicion or B) A local that lived along the road. If by foot, the abductor would need to be assured it was safe from obstructions, out of sight, out of earshot and an easy egress as his victim might not be so compliant. It would also have to be a route that he was sure the families and police would not be taking so as not to run into them.

That sure limits the options open to the abductor....

Anyone see any flaws with the above?

Where would a car be parked?

And if by foot, where would they go?

Where were these halfway houses?

It doesn't list any address for halfway houses in articles I found. Just that they were "in St. Joseph." They may have been out on the East end of town which was more undeveloped back then.

Links to various articles:

"In October 1989, 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling was abducted near his home in St. Joseph, Minnesota by a masked man at gunpoint. Police later learned that halfway houses in St. Joseph also housed released sex offenders. In 1989, Minnesota law enforcement had no comprehensive list of sex offenders to aid their efforts in solving the case. (Only a handful of states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, and Ohio, had such tools at the time.) Jacob’s parents, through the formation of the Jacob Wetterling Foundation, helped push Minnesota policymakers to change this situation by enacting sex offender registration in 1991."

https://www.musc.edu/vawprevention/policy/fedoffender.shtml

halfway houses in St. Joseph housed sexual offenders after their release from prison
http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/History.aspx?dt=

Also, same info here:
http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1126&context=wmborj

No sex offender halfway houses in St. Joe listed on this resource list from 1994-2001
http://www.intech.mnsu.edu/davisj/resource_list.htm

Where would a car be parked?

And if by foot, where would they go?

A car could be parked at the halfway house if it was closer to DRs than the Wetterling house. Grab him and run, it was pitch black out.

It doesn't list any address for halfway houses in articles I found. Just that they were "in St. Joseph." They may have been out on the East end of town which was more undeveloped back then.

Links to various articles:

"In October 1989, 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling was abducted near his home in St. Joseph, Minnesota by a masked man at gunpoint. Police later learned that halfway houses in St. Joseph also housed released sex offenders. In 1989, Minnesota law enforcement had no comprehensive list of sex offenders to aid their efforts in solving the case. (Only a handful of states, including Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Nevada, and Ohio, had such tools at the time.) Jacob’s parents, through the formation of the Jacob Wetterling Foundation, helped push Minnesota policymakers to change this situation by enacting sex offender registration in 1991."

https://www.musc.edu/vawprevention/policy/fedoffender.shtml

halfway houses in St. Joseph housed sexual offenders after their release from prison
http://www.pameganslaw.state.pa.us/History.aspx?dt=

Also, same info here:
http://scholarship.law.wm.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1126&context=wmborj

No sex offender halfway houses in St. Joe listed on this resource list from 1994-2001
http://www.intech.mnsu.edu/davisj/resource_list.htm

I haven't been able to find any exact addresses either. Obviously Patty knows of the address of the one that was by her house in1989. She said that neither her nor the police were aware of it.

A car could be parked at the halfway house if it was closer to DRs than the Wetterling house. Grab him and run, it was pitch black out.

I'm open to possibility of it being someone from the halfway house (if indeed there was one close to the abduction site.) It would fit the "local perp on foot" theory....by why would he go up DR's driveway?

“unbeknownst to local police at the time of Jacob’s disappearance, there were halfway houses in the St. Joseph area that housed sex offenders upon their release from prison”

2014 St. Joseph, MN, “halfway houses” = Residential Habilitation Services, Adult Foster Care, Home and Community Based Services, Home and Community Based Services - Community Residential Setting, etc., etc., etc.

To wander further down this rabbit trail, see the 1989 St. Joseph, MN, telephone book, or contact the MN Department of Human Services . . .

Prov. 11:14

I'm open to possibility of it being someone from the halfway house (if indeed there was one close to the abduction site.) It would fit the "local perp on foot" theory....by why would he go up DR's driveway?

Because once Jacob realized that the gun was fake, he took off running to the farm for DR's help. The perp caught him 40 yards down the driveway and said "good thinking Jacob" and took his shoe off and planted it on the driveway. The perp than carried jacob on his shoulders back to the halfway house and put him in the trunk of his car. The perp signs back into home and goes to sleep for the night. The next morning the perp signs out of the house to look for work, except instead he takes Jacob to an abandoned farm where he has been feeding and taking care of him ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper