MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be nice if the victims really want their cases solved, to meet up as a group and one by one describe their perp to each other and try to see if they are all looking at the same guy. If they are different then we need to know that too.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting their cases solved. I'm sure every victim wants their case solved. If it were that simple, I'm sure something would have been done. The amount of confirmation bias that would potentially occur in the scenario you described could devastate a criminal investigation.

I don't think it's a matter of wanting their cases solved. I'm sure every victim wants their case solved. If it were that simple, I'm sure something would have been done. The amount of confirmation bias that would potentially occur in the scenario you described could devastate a criminal investigation.

Or is it the plain truth. Do we have one guy, two or three. Height and weight information is crucial from each victim. Lots of work to be done.

I've been following this for a while now and came up with a theory. I think LE knows DAH is responsible for both Jarods and Jacobs cases. DAH is locked away and not going anywhere. Could LE be using DR to trick DAH to talk, to find out what happened to Jacob, to bring closure to the Wetterling family? This is just a theory, it seems like these rapist, killers eventually like to take credit for what they did... They may know he is responsible but want to find what happened to JW. IMO..

The brainstorming that Sasquatch alluded to has merit. One victim may remember a small detail, when voiced may jog the memory of other victims. It's a viable problem solving tool.

What I find puzzling is that there appears to have been no "grooming" of Jacob. I would think the other boys might have noticed had there been and been able to point towards a particular individual.

I've been following this for a while now and came up with a theory. I think LE knows DAH is responsible for both Jarods and Jacobs cases. DAH is locked away and not going anywhere. Could LE be using DR to trick DAH to talk, to find out what happened to Jacob, to bring closure to the Wetterling family? This is just a theory, it seems like these rapist, killers eventually like to take credit for what they did... They may know he is responsible but want to find what happened to JW. IMO..

No, the death threats, him almost losing his job, writing 14 letters to government agencies, and his family having had enough is all too real. DR is not a toy.

Delurk.

He's not a toy but based on the FBI analysis of the perpetrator he doesn't really fit the description in a number of ways:

Quote from saintautumn.wordpress.com:
Agents assigned to the FBI Academy’s Behavioral Science Unit at the National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime compiled a profile of Jacob’s kidnapper: The offender is likely to be a white male between the ages of 25 to 35 years old; very low self image; likely to have committed a similar crime in the past; may have some physical deformity (such as scars or acne) and is likely to have had a recent stressful event in his life which would have precipitated the high-risk approach taken in this crime. The high-risk approach also indicates the offender may have attempted similar acts recently and failed. The offender is likely to be in an unskilled or semi-skilled job that does not include contact with the public.

Word on the street is that DR is not only just a skilled musician and educator but one of the top five trumpet players in the state. Playing an instrument at a high level requires not only skilled manual dexterity but high mathematical skill especially in the classical idiom. Playing multiple instruments (trumpet, saxophone) and to be able to teach a student musical concepts is not unskilled or semi-skilled. And it takes a certain kind of musical ego to teach. I'd say DR has a healthy one.

Some have asked if his skill level is so high why he isn't playing in the Minnesota Orchestra or similar organization - from my experience some musicians are better at teaching and get more intellectual stimulation from it than they are getting along with a large ensemble of musicians. Also, instructors at this level are paid well. And teaching involves lots of contact with the public, students, other teachers, administration.

He's thin, wiry, a runner no deformity that I know of plus musical skill doesn't guarantee you will be able to create a "deep raspy voice" on command - in a recent interview I think it was with Trevor said that he sounded like a smoker's voice.

That's definetely an adults viewpoint - he wouldn't have thought of that when he was a kid. No pro winds player smokes if they want to be any good or have the endurance needed to play at a high level.

Yes, it's a bit weird he lives by himself with his aging parents but I know at least three other people in his age group who would fit that description who are around that age. It's not that unusual.

At least one of my associates has aspbergers and has a narrow range of interests and never married as a result and maybe comes off as emotionally flat. It comes with that diagnosis.

So, if it's not DR who is it?

I have a different viewpoint - that the perpetrator was probably a local, probably knew DR (or knew of him), knew the area well or better than most and inadvertently by virtue of where this all happened managed to point the finger away from the perp and right at DR.

If I hadn't heard of Jered and his situation I wouldn't have come up with this alternative explanation.

But all of this is immaterial, I just wish the poor Wetterling's could get an answer.

Every once in a while I'll be on one of these boards and people say they know what happened but they can't talk.
I say they are either making stuff up or they are just afraid it will make their family look bad.
What about the poor Wetterling's family? They need some answers.

Excellent input but that fbi description is only an educated guess and was put out to the public right away, when they only had a shot in the dark.

The brainstorming that Sasquatch alluded to has merit. One victim may remember a small detail, when voiced may jog the memory of other victims. It's a viable problem solving tool.

While it could possibly yield results, would they be admissible in a court of law? I'm not an expert, but I imagine they wouldn't be, for the same reason that we're not supposed to create side-by-side pictures here of composite sketches and other people. It compromises the integrity of people's memories. Memory is very susceptible to outside influence, even if it happens with the best of intentions. Who knows how suggestible someone might be when it comes to a 30 year old memory of a face they barely knew to begin with?

I also would be surprised if police hadn't already taken descriptions of these perpetrators and compared them.

What does being a good musician have to do with anything?
How many famous talented people have been arrested for being pervs? Plenty!

If my 1 1/2 year old granddaughter can change her voice growly bear, I think it is possible DR can.

What does being a good musician have to do with anything?
How many famous talented people have been arrested for being pervs? Plenty!

If my 1 1/2 year old granddaughter can change her voice growly bear, I think it is possible DR can.

With thousands of records in his collection he had probably been singing in different voices all weekend long.

Prior to the late 1980's, the was little awareness or concern about sex crimes against boys. Beginning about the time of Jacob's abduction, there became a national uproar, bordering on panic about sex crimes against children and the dangers of sexual predators. This widespread hysteria resulted in ,many false charges and innocent people jailed. It it did lead to an increased awareness of the problem, longs prison sentences and more vigilant enforcement.

Prior to this time, sexual assault on boys often carried more stigma and shame on the victims than the perpetrators. Incidents were frequently not reported and when they were, they were handled locally with little exchange of information between law enforcement agencies. They were not considered serious crimes. The only time it was taken seriously when a boy was killed or believed killed.

After the late 1980's sexual assaults on young boys became recognized as a serious problem. It is believed that the incidence of these crime dropped way off but it was hard to tell because it was also believed that they were now far more likely to be reported.

FBI studies of young boys who were abducted and killed or believed killed were virtually always Victims of men who had committed multiple "snatch and grab" type assaults and the murder was simply an escalation of the level of sexual violence, often involving sadism. These studies were conducted by interviews with convicted abductors. It is my understand that all of them admitted to having a long history of sexual abuse of young boys but not all of them had criminal convictions. Most, if not all, tended to live on the fringes of society with low status jobs and limited social interaction.

The obvious point to start at would be know sexual offenders. After that,the target would be men suspected of sex crimes but never convicted and serious efforts to solve previously unsolved sex crimes. Beyond that, it would seem reasonable to encourage boys and their families to come forward and report previously unreported sex crimes. I would think that any snatch and grab assault within 25 miles of st Joseph should have been looked at carefully.

There is a good chance that whoever did Jacob has not been implicated in an assault of a child but it is unlikely that there have never been suspicions and rumors of inappropriate acts; particularly during teenage years.

Most likely, this perp never committed a similar crime in that area. He may very well have ended all sexual contact with children or more likely, laid low for a while and then left the area. I think the best chance of solving this case is to identify anyone convicted or implicated in a snatch and grab of a young boy in some other jurisdiction who lived in the St Cloud area in Oct 1989.

There is no rule that says absolutely that Jacob was killed by someone with a history of sexual interest In children but it would seem prudent to use some care while investigating anyone with no such history. Being "odd", not being known to engage in "normal" sexual relation or the suspicion of homosexuality are NOT markers of a sexual predator.

Excellent input but that fbi description is only an educated guess and was put out to the public right away, when they only had a shot in the dark.
John Douglas style profiling from this era has been discredited. Douglas himself disqualified evidence in 2-3 cases that went against his profile, which turned out to true or exonerating.

Studies I've read suggest "snatch and grab" abductors have a low level of social skills in interactions. They turn to violence to get what their social skills limit. Groomers tend to have a higher level of social skill, and do not resort to violence to get it.

I've never met DR, but Joy seems to think he is rather intelligent and relatable.

No, the death threats, him almost losing his job, writing 14 letters to government agencies, and his family having had enough is all too real. DR is not a toy.

Writing 1 letter...copied + sent to 14 agencies. I see your point but sometimes little details get lost in the mix. It's the details that may decide this case.

Writing 1 letter...copied + sent to 14 agencies. I see your point but sometimes little details get lost in the mix. It's the details that may decide this case.

It's those little details that only the Elite know. Like how DR went to bed and through 3 contacts with LE before they found him and found out he was a witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cburski2018