MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
hasn't the statute of limitations run out on Jared to file charges for his case? They need to prove the person who took Jared took Jacob. They haven't been able to do that.

I gotta admit, I am singing the blues about these cases. Very discouraging.

Yes, DAH would be he perfect choice. He is not rich nor powerful, so they must not have had any evidence to hold him.

What did LE use before DNA? Fibers, hair? What?
From what I have heard his alibi is one most people don't make up--I was sexually molesting someone else at the time. His tactic of luring both men and boys was so sickeningly effective it seems strange he would just abduct two kids and go back to buying beer or pot the next day for sex.

FWIW, I am split between DR and some kind of roaming monster like Israel Keyes. That one guy interests me too.

What is wrong with Stearns County LE? They have so many high profile cold cases! 26 years for Jared, 25 years for Jacob, (13?) For Josh. What is it going to take to make LE buckle down and get these solved?!

hasn't the statute of limitations run out on Jared to file charges for his case? They need to prove the person who took Jared took Jacob. They haven't been able to do that.

I didn't think kidnapping had a statute of limitations.

Chaplain, is there a source for what DAH says he was doing? The molesting someone else?

There is typically no statute of limitations on sexual crimes

Wisdom is correct, the law differs in Minnesota.

In Minnesota: Unlimited time ONLY if DNA was collected. (Not sure what they do if DNA collected has degraded because it wasn't preserved properly.)

Statute of Limitations for Sexual Assault Offenses
Minn. Stat. § 628.26

(f) Notwithstanding the limitations in paragraph (e), indictments or complaints for violation of sections 609.342 to 609.344 [criminal sexual conduct (1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree)] may be found or made and filed in the proper court at any time after commission of the offense, if physical evidence is collected and preserved that is capable of being tested for its DNA characteristics. If this evidence is not collected and preserved and the victim was 18 years old or older at the time of the offense, the prosecution must be commenced within nine years after the commission of the offense. .. .
(n) The limitations period contained in this section shall not include any period of time during which physical evidence relating to the offense was undergoing DNA analysis, unless the defendant demonstrates that the prosecuting or law enforcement agency purposefully delayed the DNA analysis process in order to gain an unfair advantage.

Criminal sexual conduct with a minor: 9 years after commission of the offense or within 3 years after the offense was reported to authorities, whichever is later

Criminal sexual conduct: 3 years

http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA ...sault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Sheriff Sanner’s stance marked another turn in the investigation, because investigators had stated many times over the years that there were strong links between the two cases. In fact, at one point, investigators had disclosed they had found a "sure link” between the cases. As time passed, a greater understanding of pedophile behavioral characteristics was developed, and that “sure link” began to carry less weight than it had in the early days of the investigation.

Even though the focus of the investigation had shifted to local suspects, authorities continued to consider other possibilities and all leads that came to their attention. A homeowner near Bruno, MN said the FBI searched the home and church on their property. Agents spent a total of three hours scouring both structures, including the basements. According to information provided by the Pine County Museum, the church was formerly known as the Midway Church, and had more recently been home to a pottery and craft store called the Laughing Fox Gallery. The town of Bruno is northwest of St. Cloud on Highway 23, about ten miles southeast of Willow River. Willow River happened to be home to a man who was a suspect in Jacob Wetterling’s kidnapping.

https://www.facebook.com/searchingforjacob

Chaplain, is there a source for what DAH says he was doing? The molesting someone else?
I have heard it from a former BCA worker. I think she's credible. They really, really, really had wished he'd have done it. But, that's why they keep clearing DAH.

He's sick enough to do it, no one doubts that.

The story behind this picture of the exact shoe Jacob was wearing.

What is the story behind this picture? Is this LE's test shoe that was tested on gravel so as to leave the gravel residue? Is this actually Jacobs shoe that was recovered in the 3rd search?

View attachment 69424

I do recall hearing that this shoe was 'similar' to the shoe that Jacob wore but then why would it have dirt in the treads? Also, why was there only 1 print that looked like it was pressed down toe first and no flat print leading up to it?

I think it would be hard to get away on a motorcycle with an 11 year old. Just my thoughts on it.

I thought the same thing. So consider an ATV or trike type gas powered vehicle.

I do recall hearing that this shoe was 'similar' to the shoe that Jacob wore but then why would it have dirt in the treads? Also, why was there only 1 print that looked like it was pressed down toe first and no flat print leading up to it?

Can anyone clarify the story behind the picture of this shoe? Where did it come from? It's a worn shoe, looks about the right size, and has gravel in the tread that corresponds to Jacobs last shown footprint.

The picture of Jacobs last shoe prints were screen captures from a news video. No prints leading up to it suggests to me that he was carried from the back and put down for a second just as he was being put into a vehicle. If you think about it, if you are facing a vehicle door and you get in face first, rather than from your side, you take one step from a flat foot position while pushing up and forward with your other toe, hence the deep to impression in the other print.

I think the perp left a large size flat crepe sole shoe print behind Jacobs, but contamination of the scene by first responders and the next morning by DR driving over them.

I keep pondering if there is a specific type shoe we can tie that print to. It is flat with no arch in the middle and has "wiggle" lines side to side, like those clear/yellowish gum soles you sometimes see. Possibly sandals, over shoes, some types of barn mucking boots.... I have to go to Tractor Supply and a Tack shop and look at the bottom of some boots and see if I can find a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cburski2018