MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree. I would bet that LE drove up the driveway that night to talk to DR at the house. I highly doubt they had the foresight to park on the road and walk in the grass all the way up to DR's house. I would guess that several police cars drove up the driveway.

Remember that hindsight is 20/20. They had no idea how little evidence there was at the scene and that the driveway itself would basically prove to be the only small area with Jacob's prints and tire tracks for evidence. It was late at night and they had no idea this case would span 26 years and a cross country search. I'm pretty dang sure they drove up that driveway to talk to DR.

You feel that LE has never investigated any crimes before then so they had no idea about procedures?

I disagree. I would bet that LE drove up the driveway that night to talk to DR at the house. I highly doubt they had the foresight to park on the road and walk in the grass all the way up to DR's house. I would guess that several police cars drove up the driveway.

Remember that hindsight is 20/20. They had no idea how little evidence there was at the scene and that the driveway itself would basically prove to be the only small area with Jacob's prints and tire tracks for evidence. It was late at night and they had no idea this case would span 26 years and a cross country search. I'm pretty dang sure they drove up that driveway to talk to DR.

It seems LE never drove or walked up the driveway to talk to DR at all. After calling 911 and learning there was a boy who had been kidnapped in his area, DR walked down to them and talked with Detective Bechtold on the road. Then Dr went back up the drive by himself (or cut through the trees to the house) and says he searched the various outbuildings. LE never searched his home and the other buildings until 5-6 days later.

For 15 years LE was baffled by a particular tire print, via only a confession, they were able to finally account for it. Somehow after this, despite what we've been shown with Jacobs last footprint next to a tire track, Sheriff Sanner declared on Nancy Grace that the perpetrator was on foot, which better corroborates with the boys story all along. They searched the mans farm closest to the scene and in 2010 declared him a POI. The story remains untold.

It seems LE never drove or walked up the driveway to talk to DR at all. After calling 911 and learning there was a boy who had been kidnapped in his area, DR walked down to them and talked with Detective Bechtold on the road. Then Dr went back up the drive by himself (or cut through the trees to the house) and says he searched the various outbuildings. LE never searched his home and the other buildings until 5-6 days later.

How far up the driveway is the woodpile? The police searched there which is what prompted DR to call 911

You feel that LE has never investigated any crimes before then so they had no idea about procedures?

?? I said nothing of sorts. I said they had no idea that the driveway itself was the ONLY piece of evidence that they would have, so perhaps they didn't realize at the time that they shouldn't be walking/driving on it. They knew that a kidnapping happened on the side of the road, but they didn't know for those first few moments/hours that he took Jacob back up the driveway, etc.

I imagine LE has investigated burglaries and other crimes. I imagine they know to secure a perimeter. Even kids know that from TV shows.

a comprehensive summary of all incidents where cars were reported as possibly involved in abduction attempts or the Wetterling investigation

One must wonder about the thoroughness of the facebook book, and whether social media of any kind is really adequate to shed meaningful light on a cold case such as this one.

Social media, after all, is mostly about seeking attention, not factual accuracy, as well as myopic tunnel vision: censoring (flagging & deleting) comments that you disagree with.

For those prone to regurgitating old newspaper articles, many other vehicles were investigated following the Wetterling abduction. Here are a few examples:

December 18, 1989, Ellsworth, WI: Cream-colored Ford Fairlane station wagon

A 14-year-old Ellsworth girl told police a man in a ski mask forced her into a car Monday before she was able to jump out of the car and flee, authorities said.

Police Chief Ron Miller said the girl told police she had missed her school bus and was walking to school on Main Street about 7:40 a.m. when a man drove up to her and asked if she wanted a ride. She said she refused the ride, but then the man stopped, grabbed her by the hair and shoved her into the car.

The man tried to make sexual advances, and she managed to break away and jump out of the car, Miller said.

The suspect was described only as being about 6 feet tall, Miller said. The car, described as a cream-colored Ford Fairlane station wagon, sped away, Miller added.

FBI officials, who are investigating the October abduction of 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling from St. Joseph, Minn., said Monday it was too soon to determine if there is any link between the two incidents.

"It's too early to tell, but we are in touch with the folks there," FBI spokesman Byron Gigler said in a telephone interview from Stearns County, Minn.

Source:
ELLSWORTH GIRL TELLS OF BEING FORCED INTO CAR: OFFICIALS TREATING CASE AS CHILD ENTICEMENT; FBI, WETTERLING TASK FORCE CONTACTED
St. Paul Pioneer Press, page 1B
December 19, 1989
Bill Gardner, Staff Writer

December 14, 1989, Richfield, MN: A dark brown, full-size, older model two-door

The second incident occurred Thursday while a 7-year-old boy was walking home after leaving the school bus near W. 71st St. and James Av. S. Police said a man in a car stopped, opened the door, and attempted to get the boy in the car. The boy immediately ran. The car was described as dark brown, a full-size, older model two-door. The man is described as white, in his late 20s, with dark brown collar-length hair and a dark full, wide moustache. He was wearing a black leather jacket and blue jeans.

Richfield Public Safety Director John Erskine said Richfield authorities contacted the FBI and determined there was no connection with the Jacob Wetterling abduction in St. Joseph.

Source:
Abduction attempts under investigation by Richfield police
Star Tribune, page 10D
December 16, 1989
Mark Brunswick; Staff Writer

November 30, 1989, Spring Lake Park, MN: brownish-red van

The boy said he was followed twice by a man in a brownish-red van.

Sallman said the boy reported being followed twice by the same vehicle, at 11 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. The boy said he was riding his bike in the area of 83rd and University Avs. in Spring Lake Park, close to the Fridley city line, when he was followed by a van that pursued him into a cul-de-sac, Sallman said.

The boy said he turned around and asked the driver what he was doing. The boy said the driver ordered him into the van and he rode his bike to an apartment complex where he saw some adults and asked for help.

Source:
FBI doubts boy's claim that he fled abductor
Star Tribune, page 02B
December 2, 1989
Donna Halvorsen; Staff Writer

Prov. 11:14

One must wonder about the thoroughness of the facebook book, and whether social media of any kind is really adequate to shed meaningful light on a cold case such as this one.

Social media, after all, is mostly about seeking attention, not factual accuracy, as well as myopic tunnel vision: censoring (flagging & deleting) comments that you disagree with.

For those prone to regurgitating old newspaper articles, many other vehicles were investigated following the Wetterling abduction. Here are a few examples:

A 14-year-old Ellsworth girl told police a man in a ski mask forced her into a car Monday before she was able to jump out of the car and flee, authorities said.

Police Chief Ron Miller said the girl told police she had missed her school bus and was walking to school on Main Street about 7:40 a.m. when a man drove up to her and asked if she wanted a ride. She said she refused the ride, but then the man stopped, grabbed her by the hair and shoved her into the car.

The man tried to make sexual advances, and she managed to break away and jump out of the car, Miller said.

The suspect was described only as being about 6 feet tall, Miller said. The car, described as a cream-colored Ford Fairlane station wagon, sped away, Miller added.

FBI officials, who are investigating the October abduction of 11-year-old Jacob Wetterling from St. Joseph, Minn., said Monday it was too soon to determine if there is any link between the two incidents.

"It's too early to tell, but we are in touch with the folks there," FBI spokesman Byron Gigler said in a telephone interview from Stearns County, Minn.

Source:
ELLSWORTH GIRL TELLS OF BEING FORCED INTO CAR: OFFICIALS TREATING CASE AS CHILD ENTICEMENT; FBI, WETTERLING TASK FORCE CONTACTED
December 19, 1989

The second incident occurred Thursday while a 7-year-old boy was walking home after leaving the school bus near W. 71st St. and James Av. S. Police said a man in a car stopped, opened the door, and attempted to get the boy in the car. The boy immediately ran. The car was described as dark brown, a full-size, older model two-door. The man is described as white, in his late 20s, with dark brown collar-length hair and a dark full, wide moustache. He was wearing a black leather jacket and blue jeans.

Richfield Public Safety Director John Erskine said Richfield authorities contacted the FBI and determined there was no connection with the Jacob Wetterling abduction in St. Joseph.

Source:
Star Tribune, page 10D
December 16, 1989

Sallman said the boy reported being followed twice by the same vehicle, at 11 a.m. and 2:45 p.m. The boy said he was riding his bike in the area of 83rd and University Avs. in Spring Lake Park, close to the Fridley city line, when he was followed by a van that pursued him into a cul-de-sac, Sallman said.

The boy said he turned around and asked the driver what he was doing. The boy said the driver ordered him into the van and he rode his bike to an apartment complex where he saw some adults and asked for help.

Source:
Star Tribune, page 02B
December 2, 1989

"Richfield authorities contacted the FBI and determined there was no connection with the Jacob Wetterling abduction in St. Joseph."

"FBI doubts boy's claim that he fled abductor"

"Richfield authorities contacted the FBI and determined there was no connection with the Jacob Wetterling abduction in St. Joseph."

"FBI doubts boy's claim that he fled abductor"

Yup, and that's why I omitted them! :)

After any abduction, I don't know if people are on edge or if they want attention, but the reports of attempted abductions always skyrocket.

LE is usually very tactful in telling the public about these as to not embarrass the child or the people who make these claims.

One of the one's in ELOC's report that I seriously doubt is the one where the would be abductor called the apartment.

After any abduction, I don't know if people are on edge or if they want attention, but the reports of attempted abductions always skyrocket.

LE is usually very tactful in telling the public about these as to not embarrass the child or the people who make these claims.

One of the one's in ELOC's report that I seriously doubt is the one where the would be abductor called the apartment.

That incident with the girl happened just days after Jenna North was abducted in North Dakota. That incident probably inspired increased sensitivity.

Anything is possible,,but I wonder about the reality of a boy being followed at 11:39 and then later on in the day.

I also wonder about the chances of a girl to get away from a six foot tall man

I imagine LE has investigated burglaries and other crimes. I imagine they know to secure a perimeter. Even kids know that from TV shows.

They have indeed investigated crimes as noted here by the 2013 Crime Clearance Rates. But with a 12% overall clearance rate on Part 1 crimes (crimes against persons/violent crimes) it appears that they may be in need of some training, or, retraining, or, something.... 12% is not good in the slightest way. I'd personally be embarrassed.

Screenshot (23).png

Set up a perimeter??? Took a half hour in Cold Spring, which means the perp could've been 30 miles away by means of a vehicle......

Source:
December 19, 1989

Source:
Star Tribune, page 10D
December 16, 1989

Source:
Star Tribune, page 02B
December 2, 1989

Obviously, you have issues with "the Facebook book," but it seems that putting the events into a sequential order has been very helpful. Not to mention the countless details and events that ELOC uncovered that could very well lead to a detail that solves this case. I don't see anything to scoff at...are you published, Mossad? Is there something useful you would like to share with us?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not very far, you can see the wood piles from the road when you drive by. They are at the point where the driveway bends - see photo...
http://www.deadzoom.com/member/samiping/longview.jpg

I think that confirms my point - the police would have still driven up the driveway to get to the wood piles. It's not like they're right next to the road. They only needed to drive 120' to drive over evidence of Jacob, the perp, and his vehicle.

I think that confirms my point - the police would have still driven up the driveway to get to the wood piles. It's not like they're right next to the road. They only needed to drive 120' to drive over evidence of Jacob, the perp, and his vehicle.

Maybe. :) Or they parked on the road and walked up the driveway. We really don't know.

Wouldn't DR have noticed the police cars with their swirling cherries in his driveway if they had indeed parked there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anyclimate3010