MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That woodpile is so phallic
1) locals want movement on case
2) Kevin comes forward, police begin to look at case anew in 03-04.
3) likelihood of car is minimal, dr says bizarre things about the evening
4) police search Dr's house and name him poi
5) locals don't want le action on case and periodically come on this board and vouch for how great dr is

You can really see why the conduct of the priests was tolerated, it seems cultural to defend one of their own

1) locals want movement on case
2) Kevin comes forward, police begin to look at case anew in 03-04.
3) likelihood of car is minimal, dr says bizarre things about the evening
4) police search Dr's house and name him poi
5) locals don't want le action on case and periodically come on this board and vouch for how great dr is

You can really see why the conduct of the priests was tolerated, it seems cultural to defend one of their own

Ok - what are you driving at exactly, here? Did you catch a case of the Moussad or what?

I'm sick to death of this local-vs-not argument (and am not sure that is what you are/not driving at).

There are those that were there, those that were not, those that moved away, those that did not. Those that were close and those that no longer are.

What difference does it make? IMO if you come on this board, you have an interest in finding out what happened to Jacob Wetterling.

That is good enough

It just seems like most locals are in denial about Kevin coming forward. They would like to go back to a time when police did not have evidence.

It just seems like most locals are in denial about Kevin coming forward. They would like to go back to a time when police did not have evidence.

?

What evidence are you talking about? It's my understanding that Kevin coming forward was evidence that:
1. He was the first at the crime scene
2. The crime scene was compromised and police had been chasing the wrong set of tracks (Kevin's)

Were there other tracks? Again, it is my understanding that there could have been but police only focused on the freshest track (which could've masked others)

To me, that's not new evidence. Police tried a new theory (perp on foot) and focused on DR, finding no evidence to name him as a suspect or charge him in any way.

I don't know if Kevin is real or a ruse/undercover LE trying to extract info. Either way, imo LE bungled this case from day 1
(And I don't think it was intentional that LE did such a poor job in the crucial time that night. I think they faced something they never had seen before with the best intentions in a very different time.)
I do think LE has intentionally tried to coverup how much the scene was mangled and investigation bungled

Also, I want to add that LE did a terrible job of chasing Kevin.

Kevin came forward and according to what he told Joy, was surprised that LE wasn't able to find him and it should've been easy because he had tires purchased in St. Cloud

It just weird that locals are so dismissive of the Kevin breakthrough

How so?
My read is that most don't dismiss the Kevin breakthrough and focus on DR.

I've tried to believe DR is the perp - it just doesn't fit.

I lived in a town where a fairly prominent business owner was suspected of hiring a hit man to kill his estranged wife and make it look like a sex crime. He was never charged but was the only named P O I.

When I moved to to that town people referred to him as "that wife-killer". A member of Law Enforcement explained the situation to me in terms that left no doubt he was guilty and only a cowardly DA was keeping justice from being served.

The POI acted a lot like DR, he was interrogated many times by the local police and three FBI and never Lawyered Up. He went to the local paper and gave a detailed interview and he wrote to several elected representatives. He denied his involvement to anyone who would listen and eventually went about his business knowing that many folks would assume he was guilty. It was assumed that Guilty people world act that way. His business suffered but he was able to keep it running.

At least ten years later, DNA became available. It was a match of a Serial Killer that had been operating throughout the state but has yet to be identified.

Local Law Enforcement and the local newspaper played up the Serial Killer angle but never mentioned that a POI was now vindicated.

I realized that there was not only a rush to judgement with insufficient evidence but there were lots of false rumors circulating, including rumors coming from the Law Enforcement Community. I think people wanted a definite answer rather than an ongoing mystery and everyone slept a little better believing this was an isolated incident and there was no danger to anyone else.

I lived in a town where a fairly prominent business owner was suspected of hiring a hit man to kill his estranged wife and make it look like a sex crime. He was never charged but was the only named P O I.

When I moved to to that town people referred to him as "that wife-killer". A member of Law Enforcement explained the situation to me in terms that left no doubt he was guilty and only a cowardly DA was keeping justice from being served.

The POI acted a lot like DR, he was interrogated many times by the local police and three FBI and never Lawyered Up. He went to the local paper and gave a detailed interview and he wrote to several elected representatives. He denied his involvement to anyone who would listen and eventually went about his business knowing that many folks would assume he was guilty. It was assumed that Guilty people world act that way. His business suffered but he was able to keep it running.

At least ten years later, DNA became available. It was a match of a Serial Killer that had been operating throughout the state but has yet to be identified.

Local Law Enforcement and the local newspaper played up the Serial Killer angle but never mentioned that a POI was now vindicated.

I realized that there was not only a rush to judgement with insufficient evidence but there were lots of false rumors circulating, including rumors coming from the Law Enforcement Community. I think people wanted a definite answer rather than an ongoing mystery and everyone slept a little better believing this was an isolated incident and there was no danger to anyone else.
Not a similar case, DR is as beloved as the St. John's priests in the community

Also, I want to add that LE did a terrible job of chasing Kevin.

Kevin came forward and according to what he told Joy, was surprised that LE wasn't able to find him and it should've been easy because he had tires purchased in St. Cloud

This "Kevin" just infuriates me. I love how he blames LE for not being able to find him because he bought tires in St. Cloud. While LE may be to blame, how about KEVIN himself for not coming forward immediately and telling police who he was and how he contaminated the scene?! How about not wait 14 years and waste all that valuable time and resources?!?

The poi in this case was named a couple of decades later.

No one had an idea he was being looked at. That is hardly a rush to judgment.

Kevin revealed himself in 2003. Seven years later LE names a POI.

This "Kevin" just infuriates me. I love how he blames LE for not being able to find him because he bought tires in St. Cloud. While LE may be to blame, how about KEVIN himself for not coming forward immediately and telling police who he was and how he contaminated the scene?! How about not wait 14 years and waste all that valuable time and resources?!?

Where is the documentation he bought tires in St. cloud? It was his girlfriend's car.

Yes, Kevin is a strange one. But he has been met in real life by Joy and DR who exonarate him. Why? Who knows

Agree. Assuming he's a real person telling the real story (as opposed to undercover LE), I understand that he'd be frightened out of his mind for having been there/contaminating the scene.

However, in the days and weeks to follow, I just cannot understand how neither he NOR HIS GF could be in the area, see the Wetterlings despair and the desperate search and NOT SAY A WORD to anyone. Like, not even a friend or relative or someone who'd go to the police with the information that they were there that night.

It defies logic to me.

You have to wonder why the girlfriend never came forward either. Or her mom. Lot of people there just "doing nothing".

Gosh - now that I reread his story, I forgot that it says he also told "the brother/volunteer firefighter+wife" that they'd driven down DR's driveway that night.

At least 4 people said NOTHING while the surrounding community frantically searched and there were rewards for any information.

Really???

http://www.joybaker.com/2013/03/14/kevins-story/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads