MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a guess that it was paved, it WAS paved. It would have been incredibly difficult to push a stand up scooter up the hill on gravel.

Also, it's very easy to spin the tires transitioning from gravel to asphalt. Often times there is loose gravel on top of asphalt where dirt driveways meet the paved road. For a car to squeal the tires during this transition is highly probable under hard acceleration.

DR's driveway is dirt, but I guess the street was paved. What neighbor could it be as there were none for aways.

It's not a guess that it was paved, it WAS paved. It would have been incredibly difficult to push a stand up scooter up the hill on gravel.

Also, it's very easy to spin the tires transitioning from gravel to asphalt. Often times there is loose gravel on top of asphalt where dirt driveways meet the paved road. For a car to squeal the tires during this transition is highly probable under hard acceleration.

What neighbor heard it as there are no close neighbors.

Investigators said from the beginning of the investigation there was a sure link between Jacob's and Jared`s cases. They've said that DR was questioned from the beginning. They never felt comfortable with his answers. Yet, they never asked DR about Jared, never asked him about an alibi for Jared.

Am I the only one having trouble reconciling this?

What neighbor heard it as there are no close neighbors.

I suspect the squealing of tires was more into town. DR.did not report the squealing, and if it were by the abduction scene there would have been marks on the road.

Investigators said from the beginning of the investigation there was a sure link between Jacob's and Jared`s cases. They've said that DR was questioned from the beginning. They never felt comfortable with his answers. Yet, they never asked DR about Jared, never asked him about an alibi for Jared.

Am I the only one having trouble reconciling this?

It doesn't make much sense, does it? It also makes it more interesting that 25 years later DR had a written alibi handy for the night Jared was molested. Very convenient for him that he is such a pack rat and saves everything.

It doesn't make much sense, does it? It also makes it more interesting that 25 years later DR had a written alibi handy for the night Jared was molested. Very convenient for him that he is such a pack rat and saves everything.

Wow. He kept an alibi?

How do we know he was never questioned about Jared?

Just finished your book, ELOCSoul. Very interesting read. I have read a lot about this case and did learn some new things from your book, so that was appreciated.

However, I must say that my opinion really has not changed: I believe DR was responsible, or in the very least knows who was. I realize there was some majorly horrible stuff going on in the area at that time, with all of the attempted abductions in Paynesville, etc, but I still can't grasp the idea that this perp just happened to be out on that road on a Sunday night when Jacob and his brother and friend decide to ride their bike to Tom Thumb. Someone had to have heard them...someone that had a reason to be out there (probably because he lives there) and knew they'd be back that way. The boys saw no car--the tire tracks are accounted for (Kevin), so that means by all accounts, the perp had to have taken Jacob on foot. What location just happened to be close to the abduction site (right up the driveway where it occurred to be precise)? There would be plenty of time to get Jacob into the house, and if I recall, cops did not actually search the house that night did they? Just the property? Lots of opportunity to do with Jacob what he intended and then dispose of him.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but I have spent countless hours reading and researching this case, including Joy's blog and other sources. Still, this has always been the most likely scenario in my mind; add to that DR's shady behavior over the years, and I definitely think there is very good reason he was named as a POI in the case. Unfortunately, I do not feel LE adequately searched or questioned him directly after the incident because they were hellbent on being focused on the tire tracks that ultimately had nothing to do with Jacob's abduction.

With regards to DR being the POI- how could he have carried and silenced Jacob the length of the driveway? A struggling pre-teen would likely not be easy to carry and keep a hand over his mouth. Furthermore, it would take a bit of time to subdue him with some type of restraint if he was going to be taken to the house up the driveway. We keep going over and over the fact that the boys didn't hear any cars on their way back home. They also didn't indicate that they heard any other sounds either like a scream, struggle or an ATV. Would DR have driven his own car down the driveway, turned it around and had it facing the house again while the boys were at Tom Thumb?

With regards to DR being the POI- how could he have carried and silenced Jacob the length of the driveway? A struggling pre-teen would likely not be easy to carry and keep a hand over his mouth. Furthermore, it would take a bit of time to subdue him with some type of restraint if he was going to be taken to the house up the driveway. We keep going over and over the fact that the boys didn't hear any cars on their way back home. They also didn't indicate that they heard any other sounds either like a scream, struggle or an ATV. Would DR have driven his own car down the driveway, turned it around and had it facing the house again while the boys were at Tom Thumb?

I am not sure how much of a struggle Jacob would have put up if the perp truly had a gun, or at least Jacob believed he had a gun. The three boys wasted no time laying in the ditch when the perp threatened them with the gun; Trevor and Aaron complied and ran toward the trees without (initially) looking back because the perp threatened them with a gun. Seems to me it would be logical that Jacob would comply if the perp told him 'if you struggle or yell, I will shoot you right now."

I spent quite a bit of time the last few weeks digging back thru all the old information on Jacob's case. Tried to keep an open mind and was hoping some small detail would jump out but no luck. Frustrating case is an understatement! DR is still my number one but if a vehicle was indeed used I think the link below is the best lead to date. This abduction attempt has been discussed several times before but it's a good link to keep handy none the less.

http://www.thenewsleaders.net/2015/01/22/a-historical-perspective-from-25-years-ago-jan-19-1990/

I spent quite a bit of time the last few weeks digging back thru all the old information on Jacob's case. Tried to keep an open mind and was hoping some small detail would jump out but no luck. Frustrating case is an understatement! DR is still my number one but if a vehicle was indeed used I think the link below is the best lead to date. This abduction attempt has been discussed several times before but it's a good link to keep handy none the less.

http://www.thenewsleaders.net/2015/01/22/a-historical-perspective-from-25-years-ago-jan-19-1990/

Such a distinctive vehicle. It is strange no one knew of one like it

It's been well established that Jared was at Cold Spring Middle School when he was abducted. Dan was a band teacher there at the time. Jared knew Dan, as did everyone in 7th and 8th grade. It's 100% certain that Dan didn't abduct Jared.

Wow. He kept an alibi?

How do we know he was never questioned about Jared?

We all have our opinions and I respect yours. The one thing I keep coming back to is if Jacobs prints are as visible as we've seen in some of the shots from the TV reports, you have to imagine that LE and the FBI have better imagery. Where are the prints of Dan's shoes from where he "grabbed Jacob by the arm"? Those are the quotes from the boys as to what they saw just before they looked. I'm estimating here, but I would believe the perp would need to hold onto Jacob's arm and lead him away the whole way to the car, otherwise he could have taken off running at anytime.

Which leads me to this. If Jacob's prints show him turning to get into a vehicle, where are the prints of the individual forcing him into the car? Also, if it was DR's car at the end of the driveway where are his prints of him climbing back into his car to drive him back up to the house?

Finally, the mere fact that LE was on the scene within 15 minutes really only would have given DR just minutes to get, "Jacob into the house" and secured or properly hidden. Unless of course you assume DR killed him within 15 minutes of kidnapping him.

I don't know from experience, but if I committed a crime where my house was the closest in proximity to that event, I would darn well think that LE would be banging on my door and working towards getting a search permit. Do you really think he would have stashed Jacob on his property knowing that potentially hundreds of police officers would be there to look? I would be under the assumption that LE would want to search my ENTIRE property including my residence just in case the perp was somewhere in hiding with Jacob.

Just finished your book, ELOCSoul. Very interesting read. I have read a lot about this case and did learn some new things from your book, so that was appreciated.

However, I must say that my opinion really has not changed: I believe DR was responsible, or in the very least knows who was. I realize there was some majorly horrible stuff going on in the area at that time, with all of the attempted abductions in Paynesville, etc, but I still can't grasp the idea that this perp just happened to be out on that road on a Sunday night when Jacob and his brother and friend decide to ride their bike to Tom Thumb. Someone had to have heard them...someone that had a reason to be out there (probably because he lives there) and knew they'd be back that way. The boys saw no car--the tire tracks are accounted for (Kevin), so that means by all accounts, the perp had to have taken Jacob on foot. What location just happened to be close to the abduction site (right up the driveway where it occurred to be precise)? There would be plenty of time to get Jacob into the house, and if I recall, cops did not actually search the house that night did they? Just the property? Lots of opportunity to do with Jacob what he intended and then dispose of him.

Of course, this is all my opinion, but I have spent countless hours reading and researching this case, including Joy's blog and other sources. Still, this has always been the most likely scenario in my mind; add to that DR's shady behavior over the years, and I definitely think there is very good reason he was named as a POI in the case. Unfortunately, I do not feel LE adequately searched or questioned him directly after the incident because they were hellbent on being focused on the tire tracks that ultimately had nothing to do with Jacob's abduction.

Forgot to mention that one thing that stood out about this van was that they know it had six-ply bias blackwall truck tires. That point made me realize that if they knew that about the van you can be sure they have the tracks covered much better than we think in DR's driveway.

We all have our opinions and I respect yours. The one thing I keep coming back to is if Jacobs prints are as visible as we've seen in some of the shots from the TV reports, you have to imagine that LE and the FBI have better imagery. Where are the prints of Dan's shoes from where he "grabbed Jacob by the arm"? Those are the quotes from the boys as to what they saw just before they looked. I'm estimating here, but I would believe the perp would need to hold onto Jacob's arm and lead him away the whole way to the car, otherwise he could have taken off running at anytime.

Which leads me to this. If Jacob's prints show him turning to get into a vehicle, where are the prints of the individual forcing him into the car? Also, if it was DR's car at the end of the driveway where are his prints of him climbing back into his car to drive him back up to the house?

Finally, the mere fact that LE was on the scene within 15 minutes really only would have given DR just minutes to get, "Jacob into the house" and secured or properly hidden. Unless of course you assume DR killed him within 15 minutes of kidnapping him.

I don't know from experience, but if I committed a crime where my house was the closest in proximity to that event, I would darn well think that LE would be banging on my door and working towards getting a search permit. Do you really think he would have stashed Jacob on his property knowing that potentially hundreds of police officers would be there to look? I would be under the assumption that LE would want to search my ENTIRE property including my residence just in case the perp was somewhere in hiding with Jacob.

Great post. I'm thinking along the same lines. I understand DR has been officially named a POI but I struggle with the time frame, footprint and tire tracks and the unbelievable luck DR had in that LE didn't immediately search his property if he did commit the crime. I get the old saying 'hiding in plain sight' but kidnapping a child basically on your doorstep is pretty ballsy and getting away with it for 25+ years has to be tremendous luck, poor investigative techniques or a very well planned kidnapping.

This.

Which leads me to this. If Jacob's prints show him turning to get into a vehicle, where are the prints of the individual forcing him intthe car? Also, if it was DR's car at the end of the driveway where are his prints of him climbing back into his car to drive him back up to the house?

I don't know from experience, but if I committed a crime where my house was the closest in proximity to that event, I would darn well think that LE would be banging on my door and working towards getting a search permit. Do you really think he would have stashed Jacob on his property knowing that potentially hundreds of police officers would be there to look? I would be under the assumption that LE

would want to search my ENTIRE property including my residence just in case the perp was somewhere in hiding with Jacob.

Makes a lot of sense. Thank you I think you are on the mark.

It's been well established that Jared was at Cold Spring Middle School when he was abducted. Dan was a band teacher there at the time. Jared knew Dan, as did everyone in 7th and 8th grade. It's 100% certain that Dan didn't abduct Jared.

Do you have documentation that he was a teacher in Jared's school?

However, what I am talking about is what was discussed on here a long time ago. That he was playing in some band that night.

I was curious about the fact he has documentation about that night when he was never questioned about it.

I do not understand the focus on the perp's prints. They exist no matter who the perp is. We have seen zero about the perp prints. We have no idea where they are, where they went, what size they are. Nothing,

Unless he was abducted by aliens, there are adult prints we know nothing about

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member