MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still looking for the shoe print, but I did locate the other crime scene photos I remembered here:
http://www.sctimes.com/section/wetterling

(click on "on the scene" and then click on "abduction site" on the map pictured) There are also pictures of the dogs searching and LE making the footprint mold under "Timeline." But there is a better footprint pic.
I'll have to search some more tomorrow for the footprint.

Under "Timeline" the photo shows the footprint from the abduction site. It appears to be on the road.

Also, under "Timeline" (photo with the bloodhound) it states the sock was RULED OUT in the abduction.

Ok, so maybe not a car? Maybe an ATV 4 wheeler thing? Maybe some other motorized vehicle? ATVs are common in farmland -- my parents lived on a 100 acre farm, we had two at one point... and I think most in the area had them.....?? Sure, they're noisy, but I don't recall hearing it loudly once it was about 100 feet away?? could the getaway vehicle have been... a tractor? A rider mower?? Why does it have to be a car...?? Just wondering out loud again.
------------------------------------------------
I already proposed this idea on Thread 1 or Thread 2. I'll go find my post. We've discussed this already.
------------------------------------------------
Still pondering...
No car...
How about a farm animal as the means of getaway? A horse? Donkey? Camel? Llama?
Do we know if DR's family had livestock? If so, what kind? Were any unaccounted for at the time of the crime? Bet no one thought to ask / check that one out at at the time -- they were busy looking for JW...!!

I'm trying to think outside the box here -- but how impossible would it be to use a horse as the means to getaway? Or another animal? Perhaps even from a neighboring farm? Anyone else in the area have livestock?

Come on LE...humor me! Could livestock have been the means to get away to a car waiting somewhere?? Or a tractor or ATV? Anyone have any thoughts on this??
-------------------------------
I already proposed this idea, on Thread 1 or 2
We've discussed this already
-------------------------------

I don't think you saw my posts, so I'll go find them and put them up.
So, we must think alike.

I read the entire ws thread regarding this case a few months back do I probably saw tour post and forgot about it. Don't mean to take any credit for your ideas! :) definitely want to know if LE considered this and what they did about it if anything?

Trino thanks for the timeline link. On a cell phone now so check when I'm at my desk later!

My post #119, 7/8/10

Any thoughts that an ATV could have been hidden near that second telephone pole? There are other means of transport that could get through fields, etc.

My post #124, 7/8/10

Just thinking of optional means of transport on a farm back then. I mean even a tractor, a horse?

How suspicious would tractor tracks be on a farm? Was there never anyplace around the periphery of that farm where a transfer point to a car would be, other than the driveway?

My post #125, 7/8/10

So what investigators said at the time of the abduction was that there weren't any kind of tracks made by the abductor, right? Of course, there were tracks, tracks all over the place, made by the people who lived there. They were so intent on finding the tracks made by the car of the guy who happened to pass by, that they let that go I guess.
-----------------------

I also have a post earlier asking about the possibility that a small plane maybe could have been hidden.
-----------------------

So, I think there are any number of possibilities for a perp. intent on stealing a child.

Also, Shergal's post #130, 2nd thread, shows the aerial maps of the farm and surroundings. (I think) She had a great aerial view map up.
----------------------------------
Lotus' still of the footprints is shown in Post #106, 2nd thread

We were also discussing the day after the abduction that DR drove a truck with big boxes loaded in back off his property and LE didn't check them.

IMO if she knows something it's better to call LE and let them check it out than to post messages for the parents on message boards, and if she doesn't really know anything it's still better to call LE and let them figure it out than to bother the parents. :cow:

I think most people would agree that if a pedophile abducted Jacob there would be little chance he would be alive, that is, unless Jacob managed to escape at some point many years ago. Steven Staynor in his teens was forced to abduct a "new" child because Parnell wanted to replace him. Not only did Steven want to save the new child from abuse, but he also knew he would be killed unless he escaped. Same with some other cases.

Also, Shergal's post #130, 2nd thread, shows the aerial maps of the farm and surroundings. (I think) She had a great aerial view map up.
----------------------------------
Lotus' still of the footprints is shown in Post #106, 2nd thread

Thank you! This still isn't the exact photo I was thinking of with the footprints,

http://websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108375&highlight=jacob+wetterling&page=5 (post 106)

the one I've seen online somewhere was looking straight down at them and much clearer. I won't have much time until later today to search for it though.

Perhaps the idea of kidnap-by-pedophile-ring needs to be revisited. It always struck me as odd that the perp asked for the boys' ages. This seems to mesh with the idea of a pedophile ring. Perhaps pedophile monks at the college were involved? Perhaps DR himself consorted with these monks? Perhaps all DR did was tip off the ring about the boys existence and their movements? Was the mysterious man at the Tom Thumb involved? If DR did it solely by himself and was targeting Jacob, why would he not ask "Which one of you is Jacob?" Perhaps he wanted to hide that he knew of the boys already? My mind is kind of garbled today. Sorry if I am not making sense...

Speaking of pictures, here's a map I spliced together of the abduction area.

Perhaps the idea of kidnap-by-pedophile-ring needs to be revisited. It always struck me as odd that the perp asked for the boys' ages. This seems to mesh with the idea of a pedophile ring. Perhaps pedophile monks at the college were involved? Perhaps DR himself consorted with these monks? Perhaps all DR did was tip off the ring about the boys existence and their movements? Was the mysterious man at the Tom Thumb involved? If DR did it solely by himself and was targeting Jacob, why would he not ask "Which one of you is Jacob?" Perhaps he wanted to hide that he knew of the boys already? My mind is kind of garbled today. Sorry if I am not making sense...

I have heard about the pedophile rings before, personally I doubt that was the case (JMO). As far as the perp asking their ages, perhaps it was because it was dark and the perp was confused as to which one was Jacob (maybe the perp didn't know Jacob's first name?). And the mysterious man in the tom thumb could have just been passing through... Gas stations located next to highways have plenty of weirdos stopping in.

And another map... I put a red 'X' through some of the areas that were not there in 1989.

Thanks for the satellite post.

Would it have been possible for a perp to have hidden a car in the woods? I ask this because in my youth we used to do this when we went hiking or canoeing. We would pull off the road as far as possible so the car would not be readily seen.

http://wcco.com/crime/Wetterling.Case.results.2.1935846.html

In this article, Jerry Wetterling says, "It is kind of like the lead itself is saying non-conclusive so it is like it really doesn't have a total conclusion to it so it is hard to know what exactly to make of it all," Jerry Wetterling said.

He said he is also grateful for the amount of time investigators worked on this latest lead."

This implies that the search was conducted on a NEW tip, rather than on an old tip that was overlooked...

It could also mean that LE developed a "hunch" after receiving the new information and putting it together with old information --

Trino -- I was just wondering the same thing - whether a car could have been in the bushes or something lying in wait....

The boys left from the Weterrling home. No car passed them.

The boys returned and no car passed them on the way back to where they were abducted.

The footprints of Jacob are on the driveway of the DR farm, not the road.

Who would park a car down the DR driveway? Especially if one had nefarious purposes.

A burglar was there; heard the boys while in the driveway and waited for them to return?

Seems unlikely.

Does anyone know more about the fire that destroyed the buildings that are missing from the other photo? What caused it?
http://wcco.com/local/wetterling.jacob.shed.2.1783056.html

Farm_building_circle.PNG

Farm_building_circle2.PNG

The boys left from the Weterrling home. No car passed them.

The boys returned and no car passed them on the way back to where they were abducted.

The footprints of Jacob are on the driveway of the DR farm, not the road.

Who would park a car down the DR driveway? Especially if one had nefarious purposes.

A burglar was there; heard the boys while in the driveway and waited for them to return?

Seems unlikely.

Remember the boys said they thought they heard something in the trees ON THE WAY TO the store?

No one would park down the DR driveway. i did NOT suggest this. I mentioned the abductor could have pulled off into the trees - no road, no driveway, nothing. I mentioned we would do this when we were young - see previous post.

There's also the possibility the boys were seen bicycling down the road - FROM THE STORE OR AN INTERSECTION. The perp could have guessed they would return, driven down the road while they were in the store, then hid his car. The footsteps stop not far into the driveway but next to trees. The perp could have taken J through the trees to his car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli