MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Pensfan has answered how Joy knew who Kevin was.

Otherwise, I was wondering how she could know what is going on and who is who in a town that is 40 miles away. Maybe I am different, but I do not know who is who in a town 40 miles away. So, Joy said she introduced them, but that is not true.

I see the route to St. Joe includes Paynesville where that turkey farmer laborer was abusing boys and Cold Spring. Hm.

I too saw the post for a brief time - I wonder why it was deleted? In any case, there is a bit of a conflict because on one hand wondering how it came to be that Joy found Kevin's identity and had an interview with him - and on the other hand stating they saw Kevin and DR together in a video from years ago, suggesting that anyone could identify Kevin. Oh, and that video is no longer available.... Interesting.

At any rate - Joy is a journalist by training - folks like that tend to be well connected and can easily find just about anyone and just about anything. And again, she's been objective and straightforward in her telling of DR's and Kevin's stories. She's even offered up information about the perp's profile, which could tend to point to DR rather than away from him. This whole bashing of Joy seems to me to be aimed at brushing off any suggestion that someone other than DR committed the crime. Like most readers / posters in this forum, I prefer to keep an open mind about Jacob's case. After all, it's been 23 1/2 + years - it's not exactly an open and shut case.

From the info Joy has posted, I got the impression she was in the medical field.

Where is the info she has about the perp's profile?

She states that SHE introduced Kevin and Dan, yet there was a TV interview of Kevin and Dan.

So, if she is s journalist, then she learned of Kevin's id thru them. So why does she give the false info that she introduced them?

She has posted other things that are off on her blog. Like the issue of the white van vs. the cars seen by DR.

If some things that I KNOW are wrong, I wonder about the things I do not know about. How accurate or true are they?

From the info Joy has posted, I got the impression she was in the medical field.

She states that SHE introduced Kevin and Dan, yet there was a TV interview of Kevin and Dan.

So, if she is s journalist, then she learned of Kevin's id thru them. So why does she give the false info that she introduced them?

She has posted other things that are off on her blog. Like the issue of the white van vs. the cars seen by DR.

If some things that I KNOW are wrong, I wonder about the things I do not know about. How accurate or true are they?

Those are good points. What would cause a blogger to intentionally mislead her readers when her alleged goal is to learn what happened to Jacob?

I would suggest going straight to the source with these questions, since no one here can answer for Joy. Maybe she can provide some clarity.

I would suggest going straight to the source with these questions, since no one here can answer for Joy. Maybe she can provide some clarity.

I will not go on her blog because she can trace your IP number.

I only look when it does not matter about an IP number. It is not my address I am using.

Two of her recent blogs featured characteristics of know pedophiles.

What is this video of Kevin and DR together? Does it show them together in the same screen shot? Or, does it show each of them being interviewed separately within the same video? Huge difference there because the interviews were likely done at different times and perhaps on different days.

No where in the blogs does it say that Dan saw a white van. In one of her blogs, she writes about the general aura of the case back in 1989, and mentions that LE had us looking for a white van, then some other vehicles, etc. Remember, back then there were a lot of false leads, people pulling sickening pranks, etc.

yes, she refers to looking for the white van.

a couple of different children were approached by a man in a white van. Police had a sketch of him. He had dark hair and glasses and was maybe in his 20's.

There was also a white car stopped in the county where Joy lives. He was found to be carrying an unlicensed gun, but nothing to do with Jacob. I forget why people were looking for a white car. That is different than the van.

She gave the characteristics of pedophiles, but it was strange math she used. If 60 % of peds are a certain way, then 40% are not. The study was rather dated as well. I am sure there is more current info out there.

I am wondering for someone from Altoona, how a person would know so much about all of the things about this case?

Two of her recent blogs featured characteristics of know pedophiles.

What is this video of Kevin and DR together? Does it show them together in the same screen shot? Or, does it show each of them being interviewed separately within the same video? Huge difference there because the interviews were likely done at different times and perhaps on different days.

No where in the blogs does it say that Dan saw a white van. In one of her blogs, she writes about the general aura of the case back in 1989, and mentions that LE had us looking for a white van, then some other vehicles, etc. Remember, back then there were a lot of false leads, people pulling sickening pranks, etc.
This was the video link with Kevin and Dan in it from 2004. It was posted on Websleuths years ago, but it is no longer available on the internet. DAN DEFINITELY KNEW WHO KEVIN WAS. Joy DID NOT help them meet each other as she stated on her blog.
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...ng-neighbor-in-2004-fox-9-report-june-30-2010

Off topic a bit, but it's bizarre that that info is from the St. Ben's / St. John's website. Just sayin' :twocents:

They certainly have the hands on experience!

I wonder about animal abuse, Bones found in the fire pit.

Really, who burns animals? PU!

I wonder if Joy would invite Rassier to volunteer at her church's vacation Bible school or her best friend's VBS? (VBSs are filled with music and singing; Rassier is a music teacher.)

This was the video link with Kevin and Dan in it from 2004. It was posted on Websleuths years ago, but it is no longer available on the internet. DAN DEFINITELY KNEW WHO KEVIN WAS. Joy DID NOT help them meet each other as she stated on her blog.
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...ng-neighbor-in-2004-fox-9-report-june-30-2010

Please clarify the content of this video. Did you actually see it? If so, please share with us what you saw that leads you to state that Dan definitely knew who Kevin was. Also please clarify whether he merely knew who Kevin was, or if he actually met Kevin as implied in your post. BIG difference between the two there.

If you did not see the video yourself, then please provide the basis (another person, transcript, etc) that leads you to your conclusion above.

I have googled away for awhile and cannot find a direct reference to this video supporting that Dan and Kevin knew each other, nor can I find a transcript anywhere.

Thank you.

She gave the characteristics of pedophiles, but it was strange math she used. If 60 % of peds are a certain way, then 40% are not. The study was rather dated as well. I am sure there is more current info out there.

I am wondering for someone from Altoona, how a person would know so much about all of the things about this case?

Regarding the study - the % in the tables would have to add up to 100%, so I'm not sure what the problem with the math could be. Can you clarify? The study is dated by today's standards, but it was only a few years old back when it was published, so actually that makes it quite relevant to Jacob's case IMO.

Altoona, WI is not too far away to care, wonder, discover, help, etc. Jacob's case made the news here too from day one.

Here's my personal recipe:

4 parts Research - search, check, double-check, consider the source, verify via a 2nd source, then apply the other parts

1 part Compassion - Jacob is truly a part of all of us who have followed the story

1 part Common Sense - to tell the difference between valid and truthful sources and those with an ulterior motive or bias

2 parts Good Logic - to fit the pieces together and ask more questions. Every answer should lead to at least one or more other questions.

2 parts Skeptic - When in doubt, go back to the 4 parts Research.

Blend together well, and don't give up!

And....if distance does matter to some of us...then all I can say is Altoona, WI sure is a lot closer than Altoona, PA. Just sayin'

Regarding the study - the % in the tables would have to add up to 100%, so I'm not sure what the problem with the math could be. Can you clarify? The study is dated by today's standards, but it was only a few years old back when it was published, so actually that makes it quite relevant to Jacob's case IMO.

Altoona, WI is not too far away to care, wonder, discover, help, etc. Jacob's case made the news here too from day one.

Here's my personal recipe:

4 parts Research - search, check, double-check, consider the source, verify via a 2nd source, then apply the other parts

1 part Compassion - Jacob is truly a part of all of us who have followed the story

1 part Common Sense - to tell the difference between valid and truthful sources and those with an ulterior motive or bias

2 parts Good Logic - to fit the pieces together and ask more questions. Every answer should lead to at least one or more other questions.

2 parts Skeptic - When in doubt, go back to the 4 parts Research.

Blend together well, and don't give up!

And....if distance does matter to some of us...then all I can say is Altoona, WI sure is a lot closer than Altoona, PA. Just sayin'

Re the math. If 60 % fit the statistics for being a pedophile with certain characteristics, then 40% do not. 40 % is a big percentage. So if someone appears not to meet the 60%, that means that person could be in the 40%.

Joy drew her conclusions that it did not fit DR on the percentages.

I say there is another way of looking at it.

The question that has been brought forward that I find interesting is if Joy in fact introduced the 2 as she claims or she did not.

It i s frustrating for there is so much info that cannot be found unless one went to St. Joe. For instance, I am sure that the library would have a copy of the news article where DR stuck his head out of a window and yelled to LE that he just could not be bothered to search that night,

For me, to go drive there and get the info would simply be to prove a point.

I already know so the effort is not worth it to me.

As far as the video, the problem is so many TV videos no longer exist on the net. Maybe if someone remembers the TV station? I did not realize it was something that needed to be remembered. Who knows if it is even in the caverns of my mind

Re the math. If 60 % fit the statistics for being a pedophile with certain characteristics, then 40% do not. 40 % is a big percentage. So if someone appears not to meet the 60%, that means that person could be in the 40%.

Joy drew her conclusions that it did not fit DR on the percentages.

I say there is another way of looking at it.

The question that has been brought forward that I find interesting is if Joy in fact introduced the 2 as she claims or she did not.

It i s frustrating for there is so much info that cannot be found unless one went to St. Joe. For instance, I am sure that the library would have a copy of the news article where DR stuck his head out of a window and yelled to LE that he just could not be bothered to search that night,

For me, to go drive there and get the info would simply be to prove a point.

I already know so the effort is not worth it to me.

As far as the video, the problem is so many TV videos no longer exist on the net. Maybe if someone remembers the TV station? I did not realize it was something that needed to be remembered. Who knows if it is even in the caverns of my mind

The link says "myfoxtwincities" which is channel 9 here locally. I have posted the transcript from this link here a couple times before, I'll dig it up again. But I do recall seeing this video plenty of times. DR and Kevin were not interviewed in the same shot, I think they were separate interviews that were spliced together by the news station.

This (link and transcript below) is the original interview with DR from back in 2004 - before they had named him publicly as a suspect and they were still blurring his face to hide his identity. 2004 was when they finally figured out that "Kevin" who drove to the scene in his car after hearing it on his scanner and seeing a cop car go by came forward and they realized Jacob was never taken in a car. (DR was the one who had told LE that there was a car (or cars) in his driveway.) Kevin was also shown (blurred) and interviewed on this video - so DR had to know who Kevin was as I'm sure he watched his own interview on TV and would recognize Kevin from town. Maybe what Joy meant was they had never formally gotten together to discuss Jacob's case before she met with them at Panera Bread?
http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...ng-neighbor-in-2004-fox-9-report-june-30-2010 (link no longer works - transcript is below.)

Transcript of above video:
It’s been nearly 15 years since Jacob Wetterling vanished near his St. Joseph home.
And he’s the man who says he has recently become a “suspect” in the Wetterling Investigation.
Stearns County authorities don’t use the word. That’s because of gaps early in the investigation. They haven’t been able to link him to the crime or rule the man out.
Trish Van Pilsum: “Did you have anything to do with Jacob’s disappearance?”
The Man: “I didn’t have anything to do with it.”
FOX 9 won’t identify this man because he hasn’t been arrested or charged. He lives near the abduction site. He was home alone on October 22, 1989. There is no one to confirm his whereabouts. Police questioned him the day after the abduction, more as a witness than a possible suspect.
The Man: “They needed to check me out. They said they had to check me out.”
They searched his car at work but not until later in the day.
The Man: “That morning when I left, I had a car full of …”
Trish Van Pilsum: “Boxes. Big boxes.”
The Man: “… and they never looked in my car. I mean it was that bad.”
They searched his property, too. But not until five days later.
The Man: “They didn’t come in the house that night. It could have been over with.”
Investigators, new to the case, agree important things were overlooked in the early days of the search. That there were just too many people and too many agencies involved.
More than 14 years passed. Why the renewed interest in this man now? The FOX 9 Investigators have learned that investigators now doubt one of the main theories of Jacob Wetterling’s disappearance. That theory: While Jacob, his brother, and a friend walked their bikes and scooter home from a convenience store, somebody got out of a car, grabbed Jacob, and fled in his car.
Stearns County investigators are steering away from the car, leaving their suspect on foot, and local. That fits with what the other boys said.
This is a copy of a statement Jacob’s best friend Aaron gave police.
[Investigator:] “Was there any vehicles or anything around at this point that you observed?” [Aaron Larson:] “Uh uh. Not that we could see.”
How did the car come into play? Remember the witness turned possible suspect? It was his account that placed a car at the scene that night. He said it turned around and sped away about the time Jacob disappeared.
The FOX 9 Investigators also have learned there was a car nearby that night. We found the driver. He is not a suspect.
Kevin: “It’s sad. It chokes me up. But what can I do. What could I have done.”
He’s a man in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Kevin: “I never came forward. I figured I didn’t have to.”
Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet. He drove away and told a police officer what he’d seen.
Kevin: “He said, yeh we know all about that. I know about the bikes. And that was it. It was like I was bothering him. We backed out and left and that was it.”
Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t take your name or phone number.”
Kevin: “He didn’t take my name.”
Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t ask, did you see a man lurking around?”
Kevin: “Didn’t ask me a thing.”
Nor, it appears, did the officer pass along his conversation with Kevin to investigators. It strikes the new investigators now working on the case 14 years later as strange. It also strikes them as a huge problem. In fact, investigators didn’t know about Kevin at all until this October [2003]. This came about because he met a federal marshal at a party who urged Kevin to talk to the lead investigator of the Wetterling investigation.
Kevin: “He was really shocked. ‘Cause after I told him who I talked to, what I seen, he couldn’t believe he didn’t know about me. In reality, I could have been the kidnapper and they never would have found me.”
In fact, of the thousands and thousands of pages of leads, none places Kevin at the scene around the time of the kidnapping. A source close to the case said they wasted 14 years looking for him.
Trish Van Pilsum: “Kevin, do you think, ‘Boy if my information didn’t get passed along, what else was missed?’”
Kevin: “Yes. Who else knows something about the case they might not think was crucial.”
Kevin even heard the police were trying to track down the car using tire tracks.
Kevin: “I was scared. I got really scared.”
Kevin expected police to come to him. They never did.
Trish Van Pilsum: “So if they couldn’t find you, what were the odds that they could find the kidnapper.”
Kevin: “Exactly. I think about that all the time. It’s sad. A young kid like that you know, 14 years.”
Why didn’t he go to the police? He figured he’d gotten to the scene after everything was over. He doubted he had anything to add. And he didn’t want to get caught up in the widening net of the Wetterling search.
Kevin: “I knew they were looking for someone and I didn’t want to be put in the position of being a suspect.”
Now investigators believe the car is accounted for. The investigation narrows to a small area surrounding the abduction scene. And, specifically on one man. One of Jacob Wetterling’s neighbors.
The Man: “I’m not worried. I’m thinking they’re going to figure out I couldn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to do something like that.”
Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.
The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”
Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.
Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”
The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

Thanks.

He says he wanted to sleep and not waste his time.

Yup. What a waste of time. Looking for a kidnapped child.

Big deal, huh.?

This is odd. A student called Rassier a ladyperson. This is 1/4 of the way down the page. Was Dan Rassier transgendered at one time?
http://www.modern-radio.com/board/t.php?id=53441

pitpat
7/01/10 4:32 PM
The farm JW was taken in front of belonged to the parents of my old saxophone teacher.
8bitmac
7/01/10 4:34 PM
very odd...is he the one cops and FBI had as their main suspect?
Swagatha Christie
7/01/10 4:36 PM
So is it their farm getting dug up, pitpat?
pitpat
7/01/10 4:37 PM
No. My teacher was a ladyperson

Is there a sister who teaches music? Wouldn't someone know if DR had changed genders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
weskerwife