MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the same way about the "they'll never find that boy" comment made by the "creepy" old guy. It's hard to believe that someone involved with the case or with inside knowledge of the case would say something like that.

I do think gut reactions can be telling, so not being there myself to see and hear the creepy old guy, I can't discount the bad vibe he seemed to give off. Yet, following the abduction people would naturally be more suspicious and paranoid, especially around strangers. Was he truly creepy, or did he seem creepy because everyone had their guard up?

I've mentioned this before, but I wonder if Jacob's kidnapping could have been a kind of copy cat crime. Did DR read about Jared and copy the M.O.? Perhaps it was a spur-of-the-moment decision? There are enough similarities to suspect a link, and yet there are some marked differences--the mask being one. According to DR's own statements, he "keeps files on everything." With his proximity to the school and to the area, he had to have heard about Jared. And he knew the perp had not been caught. Could have been attempt at misdirection, or even just something done out of sheer panic. He didn't have a plan, so he copied one. And sadly, if this is what happened, it worked.

:twocents:

Or perhaps the perp that abducted Jared learned from his mistake and wore a mask during Jacob's abduction (assuming the same person abducted both boys).

The perp that abducted Jared was extremely worried that Jared recognized him. An easy fix would be to wear a mask the next time.

Just speculation on my part.

I do agree that folks must have been extremely suspicious after Jacob's abduction which heightened their sense of awareness to strangers (the creepy old guy).

Part of me believes DR abducted Jacob simply because he had the opportunity and based on some of his "odd" behavior and statements. Other than that I cannot wrap my brain around anything else concrete regarding DR's involvement.

Like so many other posters I wish I knew more of the details that LE has gathered.

The only thing I would say for sure regarding DR's activity the night Jacob was abducted, is that his parents were not home.

What concrete is there about anyone else's involvement?

Does anyone here have a hard copy of this video that was taken down eventually? Copy and pasted from a link I came across. I know I've watched it before but never saved a copy.

The video is a must see. It explains the car and how so much was probably missed at the time. More importantly, watch until the very end and hear what the suspect says... it’ll give you chills....

http://www.myfoxtwincities.com/dpp/...ng-neighbor-in-2004-fox-9-report-june-30-2010

Here is a copy of the transcript but would like a copy of the video.

KMSP-TV Fox 9 Transcript

It’s been nearly 15 years since Jacob Wetterling vanished near his St. Joseph home.

And he’s the man who says he has recently become a “suspect” in the Wetterling Investigation.

Stearns County authorities don’t use the word. That’s because of gaps early in the investigation. They haven’t been able to link him to the crime or rule the man out.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Did you have anything to do with Jacob’s disappearance?”

The Man: “I didn’t have anything to do with it.”

FOX 9 won’t identify this man because he hasn’t been arrested or charged. He lives near the abduction site. He was home alone on October 22, 1989. There is no one to confirm his whereabouts. Police questioned him the day after the abduction, more as a witness than a possible suspect.

The Man: “They needed to check me out. They said they had to check me out.”

They searched his car at work but not until later in the day.

The Man: “That morning when I left, I had a car full of …”

Trish Van Pilsum: “Boxes. Big boxes.”

The Man: “… and they never looked in my car. I mean it was that bad.”

They searched his property, too. But not until five days later.

The Man: “They didn’t come in the house that night. It could have been over with.”

Investigators, new to the case, agree important things were overlooked in the early days of the search. That there were just too many people and too many agencies involved.

More than 14 years passed. Why the renewed interest in this man now? The FOX 9 Investigators have learned that investigators now doubt one of the main theories of Jacob Wetterling’s disappearance. That theory: While Jacob, his brother, and a friend walked their bikes and scooter home from a convenience store, somebody got out of a car, grabbed Jacob, and fled in his car.

Stearns County investigators are steering away from the car, leaving their suspect on foot, and local. That fits with what the other boys said.

This is a copy of a statement Jacob’s best friend Aaron gave police.

[Investigator:] “Was there any vehicles or anything around at this point that you observed?” [Aaron Larson:] “Uh uh. Not that we could see.”

How did the car come into play? Remember the witness turned possible suspect? It was his account that placed a car at the scene that night. He said it turned around and sped away about the time Jacob disappeared.

The FOX 9 Investigators also have learned there was a car nearby that night. We found the driver. He is not a suspect.

Kevin: “It’s sad. It chokes me up. But what can I do. What could I have done.”

He’s a man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kevin: “I never came forward. I figured I didn’t have to.”

Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet. He drove away and told a police officer what he’d seen.

Kevin: “He said, yeh we know all about that. I know about the bikes. And that was it. It was like I was bothering him. We backed out and left and that was it.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t take your name or phone number.”

Kevin: “He didn’t take my name.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t ask, did you see a man lurking around?”

Kevin: “Didn’t ask me a thing.”

Nor, it appears, did the officer pass along his conversation with Kevin to investigators. It strikes the new investigators now working on the case 14 years later as strange. It also strikes them as a huge problem. In fact, investigators didn’t know about Kevin at all until this October [2003]. This came about because he met a federal marshal at a party who urged Kevin to talk to the lead investigator of the Wetterling investigation.

Kevin: “He was really shocked. ‘Cause after I told him who I talked to, what I seen, he couldn’t believe he didn’t know about me. In reality, I could have been the kidnapper and they never would have found me.”

In fact, of the thousands and thousands of pages of leads, none places Kevin at the scene around the time of the kidnapping. A source close to the case said they wasted 14 years looking for him.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Kevin, do you think, ‘Boy if my information didn’t get passed along, what else was missed?’”

Kevin: “Yes. Who else knows something about the case they might not think was crucial.”

Kevin even heard the police were trying to track down the car using tire tracks.

Kevin: “I was scared. I got really scared.”

Kevin expected police to come to him. They never did.

Trish Van Pilsum: “So if they couldn’t find you, what were the odds that they could find the kidnapper.”

Kevin: “Exactly. I think about that all the time. It’s sad. A young kid like that you know, 14 years.”

Why didn’t he go to the police? He figured he’d gotten to the scene after everything was over. He doubted he had anything to add. And he didn’t want to get caught up in the widening net of the Wetterling search.

Kevin: “I knew they were looking for someone and I didn’t want to be put in the position of being a suspect.”

Now investigators believe the car is accounted for. The investigation narrows to a small area surrounding the abduction scene. And, specifically on one man. One of Jacob Wetterling’s neighbors.

The Man: “I’m not worried. I’m thinking they’re going to figure out I couldn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to do something like that.”

Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.

The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”

Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”

The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

The man FOX 9 talked with may never be connected with the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping case.

There's a big contradiction in the "I wasn't going to waste my time" comment and the fact that DR admittedly has a file on the kidnapping. If he thought of helping search as a "waste of time," why would he keep clippings and other ephemera related to the case?

If he has a general interest in this kind of stuff, and by his own account he's interested in all kinds of random stuff, you'd think he'd want to be "on the scene." Especially because the kid disappeared on his property. He's concerned about commotion in the wood pile, yet he's not concerned enough to stay awake while LE is searching his property? Doesn't make sense.

In other accounts, DR says he did help search the outbuildings. I've always been a little unclear on his official account of his actions that night. Do we know if he actually searched the outbuildings? How did he go back to bed AND search the outbuildings? I might be missing something.

I still do not get what Kevin was worried about. It makes no sense whatsoever.

He had several witnesses who could vouch for him. Why was he worried that he would be a suspect? If he did not think it was important, why was he worried that his tracks would be traced to him and the police would be at his door? Unh unh. There is something really off with this story.

And good points about who reported all of these cars.

Very good points.

I was thinking the exact same thing midwest. I'm trying to gather all the information I can find to put a detailed timeline together on DR and highlight all the discrepancies in his statements over the years.

Here is a copy of the transcript but would like a copy of the video.

KMSP-TV Fox 9 Transcript

It’s been nearly 15 years since Jacob Wetterling vanished near his St. Joseph home.

And he’s the man who says he has recently become a “suspect” in the Wetterling Investigation.

Stearns County authorities don’t use the word. That’s because of gaps early in the investigation. They haven’t been able to link him to the crime or rule the man out.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Did you have anything to do with Jacob’s disappearance?”

The Man: “I didn’t have anything to do with it.”

FOX 9 won’t identify this man because he hasn’t been arrested or charged. He lives near the abduction site. He was home alone on October 22, 1989. There is no one to confirm his whereabouts. Police questioned him the day after the abduction, more as a witness than a possible suspect.

The Man: “They needed to check me out. They said they had to check me out.”

They searched his car at work but not until later in the day.

The Man: “That morning when I left, I had a car full of …”

Trish Van Pilsum: “Boxes. Big boxes.”

The Man: “… and they never looked in my car. I mean it was that bad.”

They searched his property, too. But not until five days later.

The Man: “They didn’t come in the house that night. It could have been over with.”

Investigators, new to the case, agree important things were overlooked in the early days of the search. That there were just too many people and too many agencies involved.

More than 14 years passed. Why the renewed interest in this man now? The FOX 9 Investigators have learned that investigators now doubt one of the main theories of Jacob Wetterling’s disappearance. That theory: While Jacob, his brother, and a friend walked their bikes and scooter home from a convenience store, somebody got out of a car, grabbed Jacob, and fled in his car.

Stearns County investigators are steering away from the car, leaving their suspect on foot, and local. That fits with what the other boys said.

This is a copy of a statement Jacob’s best friend Aaron gave police.

[Investigator:] “Was there any vehicles or anything around at this point that you observed?” [Aaron Larson:] “Uh uh. Not that we could see.”

How did the car come into play? Remember the witness turned possible suspect? It was his account that placed a car at the scene that night. He said it turned around and sped away about the time Jacob disappeared.

The FOX 9 Investigators also have learned there was a car nearby that night. We found the driver. He is not a suspect.

Kevin: “It’s sad. It chokes me up. But what can I do. What could I have done.”

He’s a man in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Kevin: “I never came forward. I figured I didn’t have to.”

Kevin was 21 at the time. He heard something on the scanner. Saw a police car speed by his house. Curious, he tried to follow the squad. He was there so fast there was no police crime scene tape around the bikes and scooter yet. He drove away and told a police officer what he’d seen.

Kevin: “He said, yeh we know all about that. I know about the bikes. And that was it. It was like I was bothering him. We backed out and left and that was it.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t take your name or phone number.”

Kevin: “He didn’t take my name.”

Trish Van Pilsum: “He didn’t ask, did you see a man lurking around?”

Kevin: “Didn’t ask me a thing.”

Nor, it appears, did the officer pass along his conversation with Kevin to investigators. It strikes the new investigators now working on the case 14 years later as strange. It also strikes them as a huge problem. In fact, investigators didn’t know about Kevin at all until this October [2003]. This came about because he met a federal marshal at a party who urged Kevin to talk to the lead investigator of the Wetterling investigation.

Kevin: “He was really shocked. ‘Cause after I told him who I talked to, what I seen, he couldn’t believe he didn’t know about me. In reality, I could have been the kidnapper and they never would have found me.”

In fact, of the thousands and thousands of pages of leads, none places Kevin at the scene around the time of the kidnapping. A source close to the case said they wasted 14 years looking for him.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Kevin, do you think, ‘Boy if my information didn’t get passed along, what else was missed?’”

Kevin: “Yes. Who else knows something about the case they might not think was crucial.”

Kevin even heard the police were trying to track down the car using tire tracks.

Kevin: “I was scared. I got really scared.”

Kevin expected police to come to him. They never did.

Trish Van Pilsum: “So if they couldn’t find you, what were the odds that they could find the kidnapper.”

Kevin: “Exactly. I think about that all the time. It’s sad. A young kid like that you know, 14 years.”

Why didn’t he go to the police? He figured he’d gotten to the scene after everything was over. He doubted he had anything to add. And he didn’t want to get caught up in the widening net of the Wetterling search.

Kevin: “I knew they were looking for someone and I didn’t want to be put in the position of being a suspect.”

Now investigators believe the car is accounted for. The investigation narrows to a small area surrounding the abduction scene. And, specifically on one man. One of Jacob Wetterling’s neighbors.

The Man: “I’m not worried. I’m thinking they’re going to figure out I couldn’t, I wouldn’t have been able to do something like that.”

Investigators questioned him as recently as two weeks ago, February 7th [2004]. They took a sample of his DNA. Five days later they questioned his family and searched his computer files at home.

The Man: “I just have to hope they make sense out of it and not wreck my life.”

Remember he is the witness who placed a car at the scene. Later that night he heard a commotion. It was the search and it was in his yard. He went back to bed.

Trish Van Pilsum: “Why would you go to bed when a kid had just disappeared?”

The Man: “I wanted to get some sleep. I wasn’t going to waste my time.”

The man FOX 9 talked with may never be connected with the Jacob Wetterling kidnapping case.

I would like to know 2 things if anyone happens to know:

1. Is the last question + quote snipped + edited?
2. Why was this video removed?

CGorg, if you have followed any other cases, you will see that videos are removed, some a lot sooner than this one.

Who knows why, but I know for other info on the net as well, stuff is gone. I have tried to look up info on other topics not dealing with crime, and the info is gone.

There is an article in the St. cloud paper that no one has found yet. It talks about he stuck his head out of the window and said he was not interested. This was right away. I wish someone could find that one

Also, DR has denied saying that last sentence, or he said it was out of context. Not sure I believe that, because I remember seeing the original interview on TV. DR has made several negative comments about Trish Van Pilsum. He may have requested it taken down, because he disagreed with it. Or it just got old. Like human said, with time, a lot of important info disappears online, especially videos.

I cannot see that he could ask to have it taken down. Otherwise, people would be asking for that all of the time.

I just think videos disappear so often. Nothing unusual about it

Can someone explain who this "StearnTruth" woman is? I was reading Joy's blog, and she posted the transcript of an interview that this woman did with a guy (MB???). Where and how did she get the interview, and was she the one asking the questions?

I don't doubt the information in the interview, but as you read it the person asking the questions is basically filling in all of the information. This MB guy mostly says "yeah" and just agrees with whatever the interview said. Too bad it wasn't more open ended questions that the MB person would have had to give detailed information for.

Stearn Truth (or Truth Stearns) is: http://vocnow.com/dianeondeck/

This individual has recently posted yet another recorded conversation excerpt, dated November 19, 1998, on YouTube with an anonymous alleged Lino Lakes, Minnesota, Correctional Facility inmate who claims that while in prison, RAB, Jr., allegedly told him that RAB, Jr.,with the involvement of RAB, Jr’s brother Michael and sister Brenda, abducted Jacob Wetterling, and took the child to Brenda’s apartment, where the boy was killed. The anonymous inmate first says that RAB, Jr., told him that “him and his brother chopped him up and threw him on the bottom of some lake – he wouldn’t tell me which lake,” and later in the conversation claims “they threw him on the bottom of some river.”

The excerpt is 2:47 minutes in length. It is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8-rB0bhqCc

The title inside the video indicates “Conversation with inmate of Richard” and the description of the video indicates “An interview with an inmate of Michael . . .”

In response to the Truth Stearns recorded telephone conversation with Brenda previously posted here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJ_Jv5BmBQ , Brenda herself replied two years ago “i told the police this when they came to my door. my brother richard was with me the whole time because i had two small babies and i couldn't be alone because i have seizures.he was there the whole time with me and my daughters

The veracity of all information posted by Truth Stearns remains subject to the court of public opinion.

Can someone explain who this "StearnTruth" woman is? I was reading Joy's blog, and she posted the transcript of an interview that this woman did with a guy (MB???). Where and how did she get the interview, and was she the one asking the questions?

I don't doubt the information in the interview, but as you read it the person asking the questions is basically filling in all of the information. This MB guy mostly says "yeah" and just agrees with whatever the interview said. Too bad it wasn't more open ended questions that the MB person would have had to give detailed information for.

Stearn Truth's videos were deemed to be a hoax from what I've read. They've been out there for some time now, so I cannot imagine that LE has not thoroughly investigated them.

Seems odd that the Bahner brothers would talk to this person at length, let alone Vern Seitz talking to her. She alleges that Seitz offered to pay any sum of money to buy the recorded tapes from her. Makes you wonder why she didn't record THAT conversation.

I'm a skeptic - we'll see what she's up to perhaps when she launches her new website next month.

I wonder how much money she will make off of her website.

I wonder how after all these years with these recordings posted on YouTube, names named, and yet no legal ramifications? Or threats? Certainly the content is incriminating. And how would Seitz as a barber have enough money to offer 'whatever it takes' to obtain the tapes? In spite of my wonderings, the content has a certain resiliency and tragic undertones. Anyone know where these tapes have been deemed a hoax?

I spent alot of time digging on the person of interest in this case to put a timeline and some discrepancies together but I couldn't find anything that hasn't been posted on this site before unfortunately which is so frustrating. I did come across this post on a topix board which was a little interesting. Copy and pasted.

Past ROCORI _student
Saint Cloud, MN

Jul 3, 2010 Dan Rassier was my old music teacher. he used to play this game with the students called "hide the box" he would put a child in a box and hide it somewhere around the room and the other kids had to find it. fun game for kids...no.It's pretty sketchy now.

Oh geez. That doesn't sound good, although I'm guessing it was probably innocent fun?? He does seem to not really think about how things will look.

Diane M (Her last name has been mentioned on here before if you want to search) was a bail bonds woman who worked in Stearns County. Evidently this case interested her and she took it upon herself to record these various conversations with the Bahners and others - some guy in prison who was supposedly a cellmate. She also says she interviewed Vernon Seitz. Because the tapes are such poor quality, it's hard to tell if "Vernon's" voice sounds any different than "prison guy's" voice, which may have led people to believe they are hoaxes. I don't know that it has ever been stated for sure by anyone in LE that they were hoaxes. (Someone else may know more on that topic.)

The interviews were all on you tube (they still may be there) but are all quite hard to hear, with lots of static. And as you stated, the person being interviewed just usually says "Yeah" or "uh-huh" in agreement with whatever Diane is asking. I don't really think she was intending to deceive anyone, I just think she meant well, and didn't do a great job in asking questions or recording the answers.

It seems LE has pretty much ignored her tapes, so whether they feel they are not credible, or what, I'm not really sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eluluwho