MN - Jacob Wetterling, 11, St. Joseph, 22 Oct 1989 - #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well here is a thought that perhaps has not yet been discussed on this forum (and again, forgive me if it has been, I'm just not ever going to have the time to read all the way backwards from the beginning....)....

Did you guys know about this:
http://www.findjodi.com/jodi-huisentruit-and-jacob-wetterling-two-families-wait-for-answers/

Your link isn't working, photographer4. But yes, I've heard of Jodi Husentruit. She's one of the long time missing in the upper midwest along with Josh Guimond. Here's an article on her.. http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/...e_officers_accused_iowa_anchorwoman_death.php

(Not sure she has anything to do with Jacob though.)

Your link isn't working, photographer4. But yes, I've heard of Jodi Husentruit. She's one of the long time missing in the upper midwest along with Josh Guimond. Here's an article on her.. http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/...e_officers_accused_iowa_anchorwoman_death.php

She probably doesn't -- but I did note that she met with Jacob's parents and interviewed them regarding his disappearance. She also drove her own mother through the area where Jacob's abduction happened. And then all of a sudden SHE was gone! Not sure if there is any chance that she stumbled upon something of importance in JW's case or not, but gosh what are the odds of her going missing not too long after her own reporting / investigation of the matter?

Can anyone help me clarify these points pls and thanks:

In the map found at the following link:
http://www.joybaker.com/wp-content/2013/03/RassierFarmCloseup.jpg
(from Joy the Curious), the abduction site is noted to be across the road on the left side of the page.

BUT
In THIS link from WS, the abduction site seems to be on the RIGHT side (right on the end of DR's driveway as opposed to across the street as depicted by Joy).
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jaco...hive%2Findex.php%2Ft-118670-p-4.html;1260;704

Who has it right?

Also - the houses that are visible on the left side of the page in the first link.... were they around at the time when this all went down? or were they built in later years?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone help me clarify these points pls and thanks:

In the map found at the following link:
http://www.joybaker.com/wp-content/2013/03/RassierFarmCloseup.jpg
(from Joy the Curious), the abduction site is noted to be across the road on the left side of the page.

BUT
In THIS link from WS, the abduction site seems to be on the RIGHT side (right on the end of DR's driveway as opposed to across the street as depicted by Joy).
https://www.google.ca/search?q=jaco...hive%2Findex.php%2Ft-118670-p-4.html;1260;704

Who has it right?

Also - the houses that are visible on the left side of the page in the first link.... were they around at the time when this all went down? or were they built in later years?

Thanks in advance.

The site marked on the first picture is where the bikes and scooter were left. The second picture is where the abductor stepped out of (DR's driveway.) I think the boys were actually a bit north of both spots when stopped on their bikes. The man stepped out of DR's driveway and stopped them. That would have put them in front of Urban Schreifel's place (which is what Merle says on the 911 call - transcripts of that call are on here somewhere). Schreifel's house is the first house on the left closest to the driveway and it was there in 1989. Not sure how old the 2 homes next to him are, they may have been there in 1989 also. The home on the right (DR's brother, Anthony) was NOT there in 1989.

Whoever did this did it from DR's driveway, Jacob's last known mark on this earth was his footprint dug into the dirt about 40 ft up the driveway. Up until 2004, there was a set of unknown tire prints. When Kevin came forward, DR was officially named a person of interest. Why? ALL TIRE PRINTS HAD BEEN IDENTIFIED, there were no unidentified tire tracks in the driveway. Unless you believe DR who stated not one but 2 strange cars drove all the way up his driveway and turned around that same day. If that were a true statement, then LE would have stated that there were still unidentified tire tracks. They did not. That leads me to believe that DR was lying about those cars (with the exception of Kevin) If he is lying, then he is guilty in my opinion.

The perpetrator was very comfortable in the dark on that long driveway. He knew that nobody would be traveling that way but him.

Whoever did this did it from DR's driveway, Jacob's last known mark on this earth was his footprint dug into the dirt about 40 ft up the driveway. Up until 2004, there was a set of unknown tire prints. When Kevin came forward, DR was officially named a person of interest. Why? ALL TIRE PRINTS HAD BEEN IDENTIFIED, there were no unidentified tire tracks in the driveway. Unless you believe DR who stated not one but 2 strange cars drove all the way up his driveway and turned around that same day. If that were a true statement, then LE would have stated that there were still unidentified tire tracks. They did not. That leads me to believe that DR was lying about those cars (with the exception of Kevin) If he is lying, then he is guilty in my opinion.

The perpetrator was very comfortable in the dark on that long driveway. He knew that nobody would be traveling that way but him.

Part of this is not accurate. DR was NOT declared a POI (Person of interest) until AFTER they searched his property in 2010. (LE may have thought of him as a POI all along, but it was not released publicly that he was one until 2010.)

When Kevin came forward, LE declared Jacob had not been taken in a car, but rather by someone local on foot.

As for the dogs loosing JW's scent... I have wondered if the perp used something to distract the dogs that he predicted would soon be coming and on their heels. Perhaps he sprayed himself and JW down with something? Perhaps he had JW change socks and shoes somewhere (your strongest scent areas are your underarms, and your toes as far as scent dogs go)...

The dogs lost the scent and its assumed they (Perp and JW) went on foot somewhere... but what if they did and there was something used to distract / confuse the dogs? What else could be used to ensure the dogs loose the scent?

Tracker, cb radios are used all the time to communicate criminal activity with truckers. They just have code names for things between themselves, like "lot lizard" (prostitute). Maybe the creeps all used cb radios and had code names for young males and young females who were outside alone.

I would wonder about the CB radio as the chances of being overheard by others on the channel might be too great. Back in that day lots of folks monitored a number of channels and what folks thought were private conversations ended up not being...such as cheating spouses etc... With the limited range, most folks would have known the persons talking...more notably in rural areas.

As for the dogs loosing JW's scent... I have wondered if the perp used something to distract the dogs that he predicted would soon be coming and on their heels. Perhaps he sprayed himself and JW down with something? Perhaps he had JW change socks and shoes somewhere (your strongest scent areas are your underarms, and your toes as far as scent dogs go)...

The dogs lost the scent and its assumed they (Perp and JW) went on foot somewhere... but what if they did and there was something used to distract / confuse the dogs? What else could be used to ensure the dogs loose the scent?

I don't think the perp would have thought that far ahead to mask his scent. I lean towards the helicopter "wash" sweeping away the fainter scent after Jacob was picked up

Have never heard Jodi H. got involved in Jacob's case. Interesting, if correct. I think there is unlikely to be a connection, but noted that she graduated from St. Cloud in 1990. Also noted the white van in her case. (Remember the white van supposedly involved in Jacob's case?) Again, I'm doubtful, but it's good to hear new ideas.

He was picked up??

Well I'm speculating that he was, based on his footprints indicating resistance. Could have been carried, or moved to the grassy area, or in a vehicle.

Interesting that she was kidnapped from Mason City, I had forgotten about that. That town has popped up on my radar before. The FBI sent agents there to investigate a tip from a psychic back in 1989. Such tips were often investigated on the theory that someone might pass legitimate info to LE in the guise of a psychic to remain anonymous.

Also, in going through newspaper archives I saw a picture of a man who looked a lot like the sketch in Jared's case, even had a little belly. He lived in Mason City at the time (early 1989), but was originally from Sauk Centre. He was pictured in the St. Cloud paper with his father, at a toy show.

Being a teacher and knowing teachers, I feel most of us would have been sick to our stomachs. When something happens to a child in my community, people rally round. They do incredible things and give of themselves, their time and their money.

There was such an outpouring of assistance, as you have read on here.

If it happened in my driveway and I cared about kids, as a teacher should, I would have done something, What? I am not sure. Food? Offers of snow shoveling? Yard clean up because it is fall. Grocery shopping?

Minnesotans are good to their neighbors.

As far as property, if there is an issue on my rural road, the neighbors are calling and telling one another of the issues. We are private, but if something happens such as a car in the ditch, my neighbors are there to help

Same here, human. I am a Minnesotan and I am a teacher. To me, DR's behavior the night of the abduction was bizarre. I can't imagine anyone in a tiny rural community reacting this coldly to the abduction of a neighbor's child, much less a teacher acting like this.

Well I'm speculating that he was, based on his footprints indicating resistance. Could have been carried, or moved to the grassy area, or in a vehicle.

Could have been thrown onto a horse for all we know and we'd never know it either what with all the horse prints tearing up the scene

Part of this is not accurate. DR was NOT declared a POI (Person of interest) until AFTER they searched his property in 2010. (LE may have thought of him as a POI all along, but it was not released publicly that he was one until 2010.)

When Kevin came forward, LE declared Jacob had not been taken in a car, but rather by someone local on foot.

Thank you for the clarification. If Jacob was taken by foot, then there should be adult sized footprints and an indication of the impact of carrying Jacob in at least one of those footprints. Don't know how they could rule out DR's own car since surely those tracks were all over the driveway from regular use. Seems it would have been easier to push, pull or throw Jacob into the car and drive up the rest of the way to the relative safety from prying eyes in a garage or outbuilding. Maybe he conked him in the head with the gun or whatever he was holding saying it was a gun to knock him out and keep him quiet and from escaping. In my own opinion of course. I can't get away from the fact that this was a crime of opportunity and the perpetrator had to have knowledge of these boys, their home locations and the immediate area.

Thank you for the clarification. If Jacob was taken by foot, then there should be adult sized footprints and an indication of the impact of carrying Jacob in at least one of those footprints. Don't know how they could rule out DR's own car since surely those tracks were all over the driveway from regular use. Seems it would have been easier to push, pull or throw Jacob into the car and drive up the rest of the way to the relative safety from prying eyes in a garage or outbuilding. Maybe he conked him in the head with the gun or whatever he was holding saying it was a gun to knock him out and keep him quiet and from escaping. In my own opinion of course. I can't get away from the fact that this was a crime of opportunity and the perpetrator had to have knowledge of these boys, their home locations and the immediate area.

Whoever did this, knew the area. There is a transcript from a recent Nancy Grace show which is available here:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1102/28/ng.01.html

"
CASAREZ: Now, the little boys were told to go face down into a ditch, right?

SANNER: That`s right.

CASAREZ: So without any lighting, my common sense tells me someone must have known where there was a ditch.

SANNER: Of course. Yes. That makes sense."

whoever did this was clearly local... if not DR then I would propose of the neighbors from one of the other homes along that dead end street (DR's street). Someone knew the area, and someone had a plan. Someone heard them or saw them coming, and carried out their plan. Were the other homes along that stretch searched at the time? In the article linked to above, there is another quote from Sanner, wherein he noted that the boys were interviewed along with other boys from around the state wherein similar incidents occurred. He did not elaborate as to which situations, or which boys were interviewed, just stated that is how the composites were created.

Sanner also states that the boys were hypnotized, and neither remembered seeing or hearing a car during the abduction, before it or afterwards.

By the time the boys were able to get to JW's house, and tell Rochelle what had happened, how much time had passed? Jacob could be anywhere by then!! Then Rochelle, because she realizes she is in over her head, she calls her dad -- to tell him to come over. More time passes. How long before he was there? How long before 911 was even called and LE dispatched? Worse -- they CALLED OFF THE SEARCH around 2 or 3am until MORNING??! What the hell were they thinking??!

I'm sorry, but this was a planned, organized criminal. He knew what he was doing, and he knew who he was doing it to. He knew the area, and knew that the kids were coming back down that road way. If it wasn't DR, one of his friends or relatives, then I'm looking at whoever else lived along that stretch at the time, and their friends and relatives.

My last option is this: Patty and Jerry went to a party at the last minute. When they arrived, they called the house to tell the kids the number to where they were. Who else was at that party? Did anyone not show up who was supposed to show up? Maybe someone phoned a friend to tell them that the boys were alone? Maybe someone updated that person that the kids were off to Tom Thumb alone?

Someone knew the kids were going to come back that way, and had time to get their "abduction kit" assembled. They clearly already had it packed and ready to use at any opportunity!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo