MN MN - Joshua Guimond, 20, Collegeville, 9 Nov 2002

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the sheriff's dept is afraid of interviewing the monks. they can also interview the person that deleted the files from joshs' computer. what else can they do to try to solve this case? what are they waiting for

I think the sheriff's dept is afraid of interviewing the monks. they can also interview the person that deleted the files from joshs' computer. what else can they do to try to solve this case? what are they waiting for
They're waiting for someone to come forward or for something to fall onto their desk.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.You know, it continues to puzzle me that the Catholic church is allowed to have their own laws, and often handle sexual abuse "punishments" in accordance with their own rules. Such as putting sex abusers on "restriction" on the campus. You don't see them on a sex offender list like "ordinary sex offenders." I guess it's because they consider themselves "extraordinary" -- extraordinarily able to get away with criminal acts.

It seems there was a history of collusion with St. John's and others who were supposed to have been responsible for solving Josh's case. Between this and the Wetterling case, I am baffled at how these same individuals were voted in over and over. Wow.

I see now that Joshua never stood a chance.

I think the sex abusing monks had exceeded the satutue of limitations.

My understanding is that the restrictions refer to doing mass or sacraments. Not that they were confined to campus.

Summary of Joshua Guimond's Disappearance:

Josh Guimond Missing since 11/9/02

Josh Guimond, 20, left a small card party at friend's dorm, Metten Court, on the St. John's University Collegeville, MN sometime around midnight on November 9, 2002. His friends assumed Joshua headed to the bathroom, but when he did not come back after 15 minutes, they believed he had just walked back to his dorm room at St. Maur House.

It was a three minute walk. He's not been seen since. Friends say Josh was not intoxicated when he left.
His friend's tried to call Josh's dorm, got no answer and assumed he was sleeping. However, when he did not show up for an important Mock Trial team event the following day, a Sunday, they reported him missing.

Josh's roommate had last see him at about 8:30pm the night of the party. Josh's glasses, contact lenses, keys, car & credit cards were all left in his dorm and no belongings were missing from his dorm. Friends and family know he was taken against his will.

On Monday morning, November 10, a massive search was underway for Jos. It included the National Guard, hundreds of people in the community, and a search of the grounds and lakes by the Stearns County Sherriff's Department on both foot and horseback.

Early on, the Sherriff's Department had focused its attention on Stump Lake, which runs between St. Maur House, Josh Guimond's residence, and Metten Court, the location of the card party. The edge of the water is about half a block from Metten Court.

The Trident Foundation conducted a thorough search of all three lakes on campus and found no trace of Josh Guimond.
Josh's car was discovered undisturbed on campus.

Josh's father, Brian, believes that the investigation has been hindered by focusing on the lake and swampy areas of campus, a theory that has "precluded the possibility of an abduction" and "continues to give the public the impression that there was no foul play in the vanishing."

According to reports, when Josh disappeared, he had been writing a term paper on the university's response to sex abuse. Yet on December 31, 2002, authorities were denied access to search St. John's Abbey on the university campus until over a week later - a search dog had followed Josh's scent to the door of the Abbey.

The monastery is well known for housing monks and priests who have been put on restrictions after being accused of or admitting to sex abuse. Credibly sexual-abuse accused monks were living at both the dorm where Josh was playing cards and at the dorm where he lived.

According to posts on Josh's Web site, it was also determined that someone had erased over 300 files on Josh's computer after he disappeared.

Josh was not ever depressed, withdrawn or suicidal. He was an active in student organizations, including the college's political organization, and a friend describes him as “brilliant student of the law, shrewd politician.” His goal was to attend law school at Yale University and then serve in the Minnesota House of Representatives.

Facts: Name/age: Joshua Cheney Guimond, 20 (from Maple Lake, MN) DOB: June 18, 1982 College: St. John's University (political science) Physical description: 6," 176#, blonde hair, blue eyes Last seen: 11/09/02, Metten Court on Fruit Farm Road, Collegeville, MN wearing a gray St. John's University hooded sweatshirt, blue jeans and a wristwatch.

The Abbey on St. John's Campus is admittedly home to at least one known monk murderer. There are many unsolved violent deaths in Stearn's county, a small-town county where violent deaths should be almost unheard of; well, one was recently solved, not by local enforcement (although they took credit for it), but by a local true-crime blogger - the murder of 11 year-old Jacob Wetterling.

There have been unexplained and sudden deaths of accused Catholic Clergy within the Abbey walls; Fr. Bruce Wollmering for example. Wollmering was found dead in the basement locker room, blood was streaked down the hallway and into the locker room where Wollmering was found shortly after he died. He as under investigation for more sexual abuse and for his in appropriate comments and admission to being in love with and sending unwanted emails with/to missing student, Josh Guimond.

More Info: https://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/wordpress/speculating-on-the-death-of-fr-bruce-wollmering/

List of three sites that list and update publicly accused Catholic Clergy in Minnesota & by Diocese:

http://bishop-accountability.org/member/psearch.jsp

http://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/wordpress/thelist/

http://www.andersonadvocates.com/Disclosures/Diocese

I'd like to see of list of property & buildings owned by St. John's Abbey in the surrounding areas and lakes. They need to be searched.

Great summary of this case!
I know this article is long, but it is definitely worth reading! Please forward to anyone that may need this info. It has some connection with Josh G
--------------

In March of 2003, a flurry of emails circulated around the St. John’s University campus in Collegeville, Minnesota. A month earlier, a University student had brought allegations of misconduct against his professor, Father Bruce Wollmering. The student claimed that the misconduct began during a class that met during the Fall of 2002 and continued into 2003.

Background: At the time of the 2003 allegations, Wollmering was a professor at St. John’s University and had previously worked in multiple roles at St. John’s Preparatory School (beginning in 1967). Wollmering was also a monk (since 1961), priest (1967), counselor (1970) and chair of the Psychology Department at St. John’s University (1994). According to his obituary, Father Bruce Wollmering also conducted more than 50 workshops and seminars in psychology that dealt with subjects such as dream analysis, therapeutic hypnosis, human sexuality, and healthy spirituality.

In an email to Abbot John Klassen (St. John’s Abbey) and Brother Dietrich Reinhart (President of St. John’s University) dated March 13, 2003 regarding the latest allegations of misconduct against Father Bruce Wollmering, a university employee wrote:

“We are looking for direction from you as to how you would like to proceed, especially considering the delicacy of this case. The student is very anxious to know what’s going to happen as a result of his [Feb, 2003] complaint.”

The “delicate” nature of the allegations included the student’s visibility on campus and a timeline of misconduct that overlapped the disappearance of Joshua Guimond.

By mid-March, the student was frustrated that there was already discussion of a resolution despite his repeated requests to share his story, and the scope of the problem, with the leadership at the Abbey and University.

In an email to Abbot John Klassen and Gar Kellom (Vice President for Student Development at Saint John’s) dated March 19, 2003, the student wrote:

“I am starting to wonder why I haven’t met with you already if you guys are aware of this situation.”

“There is a severe problem at this University, this present day.”

“I want to deal with this as quickly as possible and graduate as quickly as possible so I can leave this place that is causing me these problems.”

At 4am on March 21, 2003, the student sent another email:

“It isn’t right that although I should be meeting with you, I can’t becuase [sic] the person that did these perverted things to me gets the chance to appeal, and delay this issue.”

Within days, the matter was settled.

Consequences

Despite the severity of the student’s claim of misconduct, testimony from other witnesses and newly discovered allegations of misconduct, Wollmering was allowed to continue teaching until the end of the Spring, 2003 semester.

No announcements were made. Law enforcement was not contacted.

There were some consequences:

Wollmering was required to immediately resign as chair of the psychology department. (Note: Wollmering had been named to a fourth term as chair just months earlier. When he did announce that he was stepping down, no mention was made of any misconduct. Rather, Wollmering claimed that “for health and personal reasons,” he was taking a leave of absence for the 2003–04 academic year.)

Wollmering was required to make his students aware that a complaint had been filed against him, and offer an apology for crossing appropriate student/teacher boundaries. There is no evidence that he made such an announcement.

Wollmering was required to immediately stop counseling students. According to a former employee, however, Wollmering continued to counsel students for several months, despite a supervisor’s knowledge that Wollmering was prohibited from doing so.

Wollmering was required to get an evaluation at St. Luke’s in Maryland. Following the evaluation, he spent six months at Toronto’s Southdown Institute.

Additional Findings:

Wollmering had been counseling his own students, in violation of American Psychological Association (APA) guidelines. This violation should have been reported to the APA but was not.

Wollmering exhibited a pattern of gender bias and male favoritism in the classroom. This bias had been documented on at least one other occasion.

According to the Minnesota Board, no one at St. John’s (including Wollmering and any mandatory reporters) ever reported his APA violations. Wollmering’s counselor license expired in 2004.

Wollmering retired with dignity from St. John’s University in the spring of 2004. According to his obituary:

“After his retirement from the university, Father Bruce was free to pursue many other interests.”

The Profile of Joshua Guimond’s Likely Abductor

On November 9, 2002, St. John’s University student Joshua Guimond disappeared from campus.

As the one-year anniversary of Joshua’s disappearance approached, a profile of Joshua’s likely abductor was being prepared for placement on the “Find Joshua” web site. Local media was reportedly also interested in publishing the profile.

The profiler, St. John’s University professor Dr. Aubrey Immelman, had published numerous articles on the subject of psychological profiling.

On the morning of October 17, 2003, St. John’s University and the Stearns County Sheriff’s department learned about the profile. Later that same day, an officer called Immelman to discuss the profile. The two met later at the sheriff’s department. The officer asked that the profile not be published on the web site or appear in any other media because doing so might tip off the person responsible for Guimond’s disappearance. According to Immelman, the officer further explained that publishing the profile might cause the suspect to clam up, cover his tracks, or hire a lawyer.

According to information on Immelman’s web site, and in voter guides published in various media when Immelman ran for Congress against Rep. Michele Bachmann in 2008 and 2010, Immelman has been a consultant to the U.S. military on threat assessment and psychological profiling; advised U.S. Customs and Border protection on terrorist profiling; trained intelligence officers from NATO allies in Europe; conducted profiling workshops attended by Central Intelligence Agency officers; and wrote the section on psychological profiling for the authoritative Handbook of Psychology.

When reached for comment for this story, Immelman explained that the profile, which was first drafted in January of 2003, was “a boilerplate description from the FBI Crime Classification Manual of the kind of sex offender that would abduct a student without leaving any evidence of a crime.”

St. John’s Abbey, however, recognized the profile… as Father Bruce Wollmering. Wollmering had a long history of misconduct. [ View ]

Delayed Public Disclosure

By 2006, the leadership at St. John’s University (Reinhart) and St. John’s Abbey (Klassen) had yet to make Wollmering’s name, or any of his misconduct or crimes, public.

Internally, reasons for keeping his name from the public were being discussed.

Around 2005, Abbot John Klassen provided two:

1. The effect that such an announcement would have on the capital campaign.

2. The effect that such an announcement would have on University recruitment.

Early in 2006, a third reason was discussed:

3. Releasing details of Wollmering’s crimes could tie him to the disappearance of Joshua Guimond

A paranoid Abbot John Klassen worried that claims against Wollmering, combined with Immelman’s profile, would be used against the monastic community. Klassen questioned his ability to lead the monastery if that happened.

Had Wollmering’s name been cleared when Joshua Guimond disappeared in 2002, it is unlikely that Abbot John Klassen have been so defensive when a profile of Guimond’s likely abductor first circulated in 2003 and was publicly released in 2006.

Officials at St. John’s Abbey and St. John’s University had known about Wollmering’s “relationships” with students for years. A link to Guimond or a prized target like a member of the Johnnie football team, for example, would be devastating.

When an institution’s leadership put money ahead of integrity, and deception ahead of disclosure, that institution is in trouble.

But both leaders, Reinhart and Klassen, who were also looked up to as the institution’s spiritual leaders, did just that.

On May 12, 2006, lawyers for the abbey were served with a complaint.

In a July 28, 2006 press release that reportedly went to only one news outlet, St. John’s finally announced that Wollmering was on restriction. It made no reference to the allegations that led to Wollmering’s forced leave of absence in 2003. The release minimized Wollmering’s behavior, claiming “sexual misconduct early in the 1980′s”. The statement said that there had been no “subsequent allegations” against Wollmering and, or course, left out all prior allegations. [ View ]

In an interview, Father William Skudlarek, the spokesperson for St. John’s at the time, did let it slip that St. John’s first learned about the specific allegations against Wollmering two years earlier, in 2004. [ View ]

On July 29, 2006 at 9:59 PM, Aubrey Immelman’s profile was published for the first time on the message boards of the St. Cloud Times web site. It was subsequently published on this web site. [ View ]

An Unattended Death

On February 4, 2009, Father Bruce Wollmering died in the basement of the monastery. When Shawn Vierzba from St. John’s Life Safety at St. John’s called the sheriff’s department, he reported that, “there’s some trauma”. [ More ]

A great deal of wordsmithing went into the abbey’s unofficial version of events, offered recently by Br. David Klingeman:

“He went to the locker room and to the sink to contain the bleeding. Next he probably turned to perhaps go to the health center before it closed and tripped over the bench directly behind the sinks and hit his head on a locker. It is believed that he got up several times and fell again on the concrete floor since there was now a great deal of blood lost. Bruce was found about 10 minutes after the fall unconscious. The EMT and ambulance were called and CPR was performed. I believe from the fall he had cracked his skull and a rib punctured his lung thus causing the massive blood loss.”

The sheriff’s department has yet to release the findings of their investigation into the unattended death of Father Bruce Wollmering. Until they do, the public won’t know how he died, what they found in Wollmering room or on his computers, if they found evidence of any misconduct or crimes, what the leadership of St. John’s Abbey and St. John’s University may have know about Wollmering’s crimes or the effort that went into covering up those crimes.

There is speculation that the sheriff’s file on Wollmering is sealed because it contains information related to the disappearance of Jacob Wetterling or the disappearance of Joshua Guimond, or to both.

Regardless of Wollmering’s involvement (or non-involvement) in those crimes, the Abbey and University should have done more to protect its community.

Wollmering had access to thousands of potential victims.

According to Wollmering’s obituary [ View ] :

The bulk of Father Bruce’s professional life was devoted to teaching psychology and working as a counselor.

Father Bruce conducted more than 50 workshops and seminars in psychology that dealt with subjects such as dream analysis, therapeutic hypnosis, human sexuality, and healthy spirituality.

http://www.behindthepinecurtain.com/wordpress/?p=2502

This summary was right from behindthepinecurtain.com. the owner of the blog is very knowledgeable of the case and the monks. they are a great writer as well. Missleah, I did not hear the blood was streaked in the hallway when Wollmering died. is this a new revelation?

This summary was right from behindthepinecurtain.com. the owner of the blog is very knowledgeable of the case and the monks. they are a great writer as well. Missleah, I did not hear the blood was streaked in the hallway when Wollmering died. is this a new revelation?

I've never heard that version either. The red flag in Wollmering's death "story", is in the autopsy report. If you read the report, as I'm sure you have Jbrown324320, there's one single word not seen in most autopsy reports, and that one word also makes it hard to close any investigation initiated by the death.

"Probable" accidental

I believe something is being hidden. Actually a lot of things, but in regards to the autopsy report, the manner of death, Probable accidental, is only in the first Provisional report. In the Final Autopsy Protocol, final diagnoses, a record of the examination, evidence of injury both internal and external, and specimens and evidence are are in the report that's public. There seems to have been a page or more omitted as there is no manner/cause of death being reported in the Final Autopsy Protocol ..... Lot's of details, with no conclusion! Something is amiss...

that is odd. I am not sure if I was able to read the autopsy report. I emailed SJU to ask how BW died and got the response from another monk with "maybe" he got a bloody nose and tripped and fell. He said BW had a broken rib and punctured lung. I told him that sounds a lot more like a violent death than an accident and asked if anyone wanted to try to harm him. then someone else got on the email conversation and told him to stop. I think the network administrator oversees the emails going out and coming in. There is a lot of things about SJU that no one wants to confront. I also tried the freedom of info act to get details on the investigation to BW's room after his death. Sheriff's dept would not provide the info.

that is odd. I am not sure if I was able to read the autopsy report. I emailed SJU to ask how BW died and got the response from another monk with "maybe" he got a bloody nose and tripped and fell. He said BW had a broken rib and punctured lung. I told him that sounds a lot more like a violent death than an accident and asked if anyone wanted to try to harm him. then someone else got on the email conversation and told him to stop. I think the network administrator oversees the emails going out and coming in. There is a lot of things about SJU that no one wants to confront. I also tried the freedom of info act to get details on the investigation to BW's room after his death. Sheriff's dept would not provide the info.

Can you get a reporter to do FOIA?

I wonder whether vigilante justice caught up with Wolmering. Maybe one of his old victims paid him a visit.

Assuming that Wolmering kept Joshua's body in his living quarters for a day or so, how difficult would it have been for him to get it to the incinerator? What was the distance from Wolmering's quarters to the incinerator?

Human, I have emailed several stations with no response. Maybe I need to do it again. If you want to help that would be awesome.

it is possible someone paid him a visit as he was in the locker room. an old victim? it's possible. does anyone know if the locker room needs a key card to get into the room or the building it was in? I know the dorm where Josh lived did require a key card. more likely someone who knew where he would be at a certain time and knew he was alone. Josh was not huge- maybe 6 feet 150 lbs. Maybe someone asked him to talk in the area near the incinerator?

How did/do they do it? How many molestations of Children happened? Yet they're still all there, continuing to raise monks in a defunct lifestyle today. Above the law.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Human, I have emailed several stations with no response. Maybe I need to do it again. If you want to help that would be awesome.

it is possible someone paid him a visit as he was in the locker room. an old victim? it's possible. does anyone know if the locker room needs a key card to get into the room or the building it was in? I know the dorm where Josh lived did require a key card. more likely someone who knew where he would be at a certain time and knew he was alone. Josh was not huge- maybe 6 feet 150 lbs. Maybe someone asked him to talk in the area near the incinerator?

Dang. I would help but I am not in the US anymore.

Can you go in person to a reporter that you think may be interested?

I will never forget how you found Duane Hart as well as his picture from some misinformation I had about him on a turkey farm. I feel that lead to refinding Heinrich.

So I have a lot of faith in you for finding obscure info that makes a difference,

I think talking in person is much more effective

talking in person is more effective, but takes a lot of time. I work full time. emails are more efficient. I have emailed news stations in the past.

Yes, the church owned cabins and land should have been searched early on in the investigation. The abbey should have been searched immediately. After all,nothing to hide, right? But I wonder how cooperative the abbot would have been if those "investigating" the case would have sought his permission to search those properties?

just listened to the unfound 2 part episode, interesting stuff. I attended St. John's U and was a freshman when Joshua went missing (didn't know him at all). I remember coming back from an early morning class on the bus between campuses and seeing all the cop cars and police everywhere by the bridge/lake and wondering what was going on. I wish I still had access to my old emails, would be interesting to read what campus told us at that time. That year and my remaining years to follow I often walked that same route, alone at night, from where I parked my car and was on my best lookout at all times. The podcast guy's one theory about a drunk monk hitting him with his car was interesting but seems pretty unlikely as there would likely have been a lot of evidence to take care of in a situation like that, and also not having anyone else drive or walk by as a body picked up, put into car, etc. The most plausible explanations to me are that a) was lured into a car (asked to help with something and was pushed in, knocked out into the trunk, etc) or b) chose to take off for some unknown reason.

The missing computer files are interesting, but the simplest, and often most plausible, answer would be that whoever else was involved with the fake ID stuff got spooked and knew the computer would be looked and and wanted to get away from that part of things. Guys at this time paid good money, and often had to order from a guy who knew a guy, if you wanted an ID with your picture on it that also passed the blacklight test.

I hope more information comes out that leads to this being solved.

sl3uth, were you familiar with any monks that semester that were living on campus? was Dan Ward there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pearl lemon