MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been very interested in this case, because like me, the woman is Australian and I have done exactly what she did that night. There has been a lot of coverage on this, both in the UK and Australia.
Totally makes sense why anyone is interested in this case! It's mind boggling and tragic.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Goodnight, all! Hopefully tomorrow brings an arrest and/or some solid answers.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

What I think is immensely "telling" is the complete lack of comments or a statement from Lt. Bob Kroll, as we are now 48 hours into this unfolding. Lt. Bob Kroll is the president of the police officers' union, and is typically quite outspoken in support of officers very early into a high profile case. He often is the one to "educate" the public about when and where an officer will be interviewed, how they are cooperating, what procedures are occurring relative to the officer being placed on admin leave, or explains why an officer has a delay in being officially interviewed, etc.

Lt. Bob Kroll has said exactly nothing publicly. He did not appear (that I'm aware of) at the community/ press conference tonight with Mayor Betsy Hodges, and he did not release any kind of statement before or after-- not even a "deepest condolences, and we are all waiting to hear more details" statement. This is an amazing degree of "radio silence", IMO, given his very high profile comments in other cases.

Nor has the Somali- American Police Officer's Association made any statement of any kind. Not even a "condolence" statement.

The Somali American Police Association, of which Noor is a member, declined to comment, as did Minneapolis Police Federation President Lt. Bob Kroll. Both said they are waiting for the state Bureau of Criminal Apprehension to complete its investigation.

http://m.startribune.com/what-we-kn...er-who-fatally-shot-justine-damond/435018163/

ETA: Ah! There is actually an article on this very topic. I wasn't the only one to notice.

‘The Silence Here Is Deafening’: Police Federation’s Response To Latest OIS Atypical

WCCO-TV went back 10 years and found, in every controversial case we covered, the Federation offered a strong and speedy defense of its officers.

That is not the case in the shooting death of Justine Damond.

The Federation has declined to comment publicly and said they plan to wait until after the investigation is completed to make a statement.

While most people are not willing to say this publicly but privately sources are telling us that this can only mean one thing: that the shooting death of Justine Damond by a Minneapolis officer is even being questioned by his fellow officers.

The silence from the Minneapolis Police Federation in the shooting death of Justine Damond is in sharp contrast to other controversial cases.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/18/minneapolis-police-federation-damond-shooting-response/

Mohamed Noor has a son, and is divorced as of Dec 2016.

Noor was described in divorce documents filed in December as a caring, involved father who was at times consumed by the demands of his job. His mother often watched Noor’s son while he was at work. They spoke Somali at home, but Noor insisted that English be his son’s first language.

An evaluator sent to observe Noor interacting with his son concluded that he never raised his voice and that his “even keel and calm demeanor may have ultimately been responsible” for calming the agitated child down.

Noor holds a degree in business administration, management and economics from Augsburg College. Before joining the department, he worked in commercial and residential property management in Minneapolis and St. Louis, and was general manager of a hotel in Eden Prairie.

http://www.gopusa.com/what-is-known...olis-officer-who-fatally-shot-justine-damond/

https://heavy.com/news/2017/07/justine-damond-audio-police-dispatch-mohamed-noor-ruszczyk/

New reports say Harrity told investigators he heard a loud noise outside the squad car as Damond approached.

In the released audio, car 541, which is just south of the station, suggests "shots" being discussed as occurring around 33rd street are possibly "aerial fireworks." I don't have a map but this seems too far away to have any significance.

Hopefully, the bicyclist will come forward and provide input on what he heard and saw.

I can't find the link right now, but one article I read earlier stated that the patrol car had turned off its "lights" as it rolled down the alleyway. I don't know if that means the headlights, or just the "flashing" patrol car bar. But I thought that was an interesting detail.

I've also read that Justine was 4 to 8 houses away from her home, which I thought was interesting, as well-- perhaps she had gone out to try to find or help the victim she heard screaming? IDK.

She was quite a caring, spiritual person, from all accounts. Several articles mention that she went thru the long medical process to donate her own eggs to help an infertile friend. Just a week or so ago she was videotaped discussing the darkest moment in her life, when she contemplated suicide due to her mother's spiral into alcoholism.

'It was the darkest point in my life': Bride-to-be shot dead by US cop reveals how she thought about killing herself after she watched her mum spiral into alcoholism in harrowing video just days before her death
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-thoughts-mum-s-alcoholism.html#ixzz4nG6IMTJf
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

There was a sunrise vigil in Australia a few hours ago, attended by 200 or so, mourning her, and celebrating her life.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...l/news-story/3a41324007a07e0827d9fb3c832d8553

Mike Freeman is the Hennepin County attorney, and a thoughtful, competent, and measured prosecutor. He took 4 1/2 months to make a charging decision in the Jamar Clark case, and brought onboard a retired prosecutor to help analyze the situation. He released an unprecedented amount of evidence to the public with the Clark case, after the evidence persuaded him that the officers should not be charged. I think he will also be as meticulous with this case, and I doubt we will hear a decision on charges for Noor before Thanksgiving. Little bits will trickle out until then, IMO.

http://www.kare11.com/news/expert-body-cameras-should-have-recorded-damond-shooting/457701594

The expert interviewed for this article offers a possible explanation as to why there is no dash cam - "most dash cams are connected to the squad's emergency lighting system and only turn on when they're activated." News reports have said the car did not have its emergency lights on. The expert says that's typical when investigating an assault call.

Eh? so you can get away with killing people if you don't put sirens on?

I think cops should be evaluated regularly. Seems to me this cop has paranoia. Not fit to be a police officer. What's sad is his thoughtless decision will be protected because he's a police officer. I don't know how he will sleep at night after this.
May she rest in peace.

From your link:

'The officers were wearing body cameras, but they did not turn them on until after the shooting, according to the BCA.'

I didn't know they had ever been turned on.

As I recall earlier reports were stating the cameras weren't turned on. If the cameras were turned on sometime after the shooting, it sure sounds like they haven't recorded anything of value.

Personally, I think the loud noise was the sound of a weapon being fired within inches of his head. I can only imagine how loud that was.

That could very well be. I don't even know if the driver cop is recalling the sequence of events correctly. Did he hear this noise just before the woman was shot, or was the noise the sound of her being shot?

I would think that charges will be coming today. Not sure about Harrity being the driver and his responsibility as far as recordings being activated. I hope that Noor is under surveillence, he may try to leave. The fact that he is not talking is not good, he knows he is at fault. The police department will probably be changing their policy having to rookies on patrol at night.

http://www.kare11.com/news/expert-body-cameras-should-have-recorded-damond-shooting/457701594

The expert interviewed for this article offers a possible explanation as to why there is no dash cam - "most dash cams are connected to the squad's emergency lighting system and only turn on when they're activated." News reports have said the car did not have its emergency lights on. The expert says that's typical when investigating an assault call.

BBM. Really? It's typical to not use lights or sirens when responding to assault? How strange. I would think the only times lights wouldn't be used would be responding to non-emergency calls. I would think an assault taking place, or rape would warrant speed and urgency.

As they reached West 51st Street, Officer Harrity, according to the BCA, "indicated that he was startled by a loud sound near the squad." Immediately afterward, Damond approached the driver’s side window of the squad.

http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/bca-officer-startled-before-damond-shooting/457728440

Wouldn't poor Justine have heard the loud noise too? I don't think I would have just kept walking calmly if I heard a shot. I'd have been dropping to ground and eating dirt. This story is just strange.

so the officers were startled by a "loud noise", so Noor shot the woman dead?

WTH- ----

Wouldn't poor Justine have heard the loud noise too? I don't think I would have just kept walking calmly if I heard a shot. I'd have been dropping to ground and eating dirt. This story is just strange.

They think the supposed loud noise might have been fireworks. I've heard fireworks and they hasn't caused me to drop to the ground.

so the officers were startled by a "loud noise", so Noor shot the woman dead?

WTH- ----

That's the story the one cop (the driver) is telling. The other cop (the shooter) hasn't even given the interview to BCA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member